Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

AJF_41 03-30-2016 07:38 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16352846)

Did you see his head to head shot on Kane who never saw it coming? That is why Shaw was jawing at him and eventually dropped the gloves a bit later. It is also why half the team skated over to the box after the fight and shook Shaw's hand and the entire bench was clapping or tapping their sticks against the boards.

are you talking about the hit on the 20th? that was a clean hit. kane lost puck and paid price.

i assume there was some spill over from that hit into last nights game.

in terms of skating over to box and tapping sticks - that happens after a majority of fights. the fact that hawks players reacted like that isn't out of the ordinary.

~Crashintome89~ 03-30-2016 07:41 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
thank goodness the Flyers are home against the Capitals tonight, this way we don't have to sit through the Presidents' trophy banner raising.

aeroshady 03-30-2016 07:50 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16352894)
thank goodness the Flyers are home against the Capitals tonight, this way we don't have to sit through the Presidents' trophy banner raising.

Don't think a president's trophy banner raising is anything the Flyers have ever had to worry about home or away.

unccrombie 03-30-2016 07:51 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16352894)
thank goodness the Flyers are home against the Capitals tonight, this way we don't have to sit through the Presidents' trophy banner raising.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee are the champions
my friends

~Crashintome89~ 03-30-2016 07:56 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16352909)
Don't think a president's trophy banner raising is anything the Flyers have ever had to worry about home or away.

Fine by me.

bartender_man 03-30-2016 08:27 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Hoping the Sharks get out of the 1st round this year. Probably won't happen.

barbogast 03-30-2016 08:28 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
The point of hockeying is to earn the presidents trophy.

Duh, guys.

unccrombie 03-30-2016 08:30 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16352991)
The point of hockeying is to earn the presidents trophy.

Duh, guys.

if you win sport they give trophy
seems logical

dmbetc 03-30-2016 08:35 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 16352987)
Hoping the Sharks get out of the 1st round this year. Probably won't happen.

That's cute.

bartender_man 03-30-2016 08:38 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16353012)
That's cute.



I still have nightmares about that Sharks Vs Kings series a while back :shrug

lockman21 03-30-2016 08:39 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I keep forgetting that the Sharks are in the playoffs.

aeroshady 03-30-2016 08:42 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 16352987)
Hoping the Sharks get out of the 1st round this year. Probably won't happen.

I believe a team from California will probably win the Cup this year if that makes you feel any better.



....although I think the Sharks are the third most likely team from the state to win the cup.......




....sorry......



......they are still the Sharks.....

dmbetc 03-30-2016 08:43 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 16353027)
I still have nightmares about that Sharks Vs Kings series a while back :shrug

It was 3-0.

:hug:hug:hug

bartender_man 03-30-2016 08:48 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16353038)
It was 3-0.

:hug:hug:hug


One of my worst ever moments as a sports fan :lol

aeroshady 03-30-2016 08:53 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 16353053)
One of my worst ever moments as a sports fan :lol

Been there for both sides of this.

Happy in 2004 when the Red Sox came back against the Yankees. One of the greatest sporting moments of my life.

Sad when the Flyers came back from 0-3 to knock out the Bruins in 2010. I was still following the Bruins like crazy back then. I remember I drove up from NJ to two of the home games in Boston for that series. They won the first one, but game 4 they got shut out. I was not worried....I was wrong to not be. Game 7 was crazy. Bruins went up 3-0 in that game too and gave up 4 to lose haha.

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 09:04 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJF_41 (Post 16352886)
are you talking about the hit on the 20th? that was a clean hit. kane lost puck and paid price.

i assume there was some spill over from that hit into last nights game.

in terms of skating over to box and tapping sticks - that happens after a majority of fights. the fact that hawks players reacted like that isn't out of the ordinary.

Actually Kane never had control of the puck, he was trying to get control of the puck to feed Pananin before he entered the zone. No idea of the date (pretty sure you are right on that game though) but that was a brutal head to head hit as you can see in both a photo and video at this site:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wa...-open-ice-hit/

Edit: Agree completely with your last statement, it is the norm when a fight breaks out due to a previous incident.

dmbetc 03-30-2016 09:06 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 16353053)
One of my worst ever moments as a sports fan :lol

Well, of course. On the other side, it was one of my favorite sport moments. The whole Kings 2014 run was just...magical and jaw dropping. Safe to say one of the greatest playoff runs in history. Two years later and I still can't believe it.

aeroshady 03-30-2016 09:08 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16353108)
Well, of course. On the other side, it was one of my favorite sport moments. The whole Kings 2014 run was just...magical and jaw dropping. Safe to say one of the greatest playoff runs in history. Two years later and I still can't believe it.

In the history of the kings maybe...

I still prefer the Kings playoffs last year more.

That WCF in 2014 was a fun one though.

hailtopitt 03-30-2016 09:14 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16353096)
Actually Kane never had control of the puck, he was trying to get control of the puck to feed Pananin before he entered the zone. No idea of the date (pretty sure you are right on that game though) but that was a brutal head to head hit as you can see in both a photo and video at this site:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wa...-open-ice-hit/

Edit: Agree completely with your last statement, it is the norm when a fight breaks out due to a previous incident.

yea that was brutal but Kane was clearly playing the puck. Dumba was well within his right to throw a check there but it would've been nice to see him get a little lower

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 09:21 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16353130)
yea that was brutal but Kane was clearly playing the puck. Dumba was well within his right to throw a check there but it would've been nice to see him get a little lower

Agreed that he was playing the puck. However, a poke check on the puck, lying your stick on the ice or just lying down on the ice would have accomplished the same thing and been far safer for both players than a head to head check.

hailtopitt 03-30-2016 09:24 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16353141)
Agreed that he was playing the puck. However, a poke check on the puck, lying your stick on the ice or just lying down on the ice would have accomplished the same thing and been far safer for both players than a head to head check.

i agree but until the league gets serious about player safety, this shit will happen every night

dmbetc 03-30-2016 09:25 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16353113)
In the history of the kings maybe...

I still prefer the Kings playoffs last year more.

That WCF in 2014 was a fun one though.

In an unbiased opinion, I think it's pretty up there in history of playoffs. They were the definition of resilient that year. They fought with their backs against the wall every single step of the way.

They were the first team ever to play 3 consecutive game 7's, not mention all on the road. And they won them all. The 4th team to come from a 0-3 deficit.
26 games total. 10 OT's - 3 of those double OT. (5-2 OT record) (2-1 double OT record)
Also, Kings win NYR series 4-1 despite leading for only 19% of game action (NYR: 30%), 2nd-lowest pct for champ since 1939.

I don't see how that can be overlooked as one of the best playoff runs.

aeroshady 03-30-2016 09:28 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16353148)
In an unbiased opinion, I think it's pretty up there in history to playoffs. They were the definition of resilient that year. They fought with their backs against the wall every single step of the way.

They were the first team ever to play 3 consecutive game 7's, not mention all on the road and they won them all. The 4th team to come from a 0-3 deficit.
26 games total. 10 OT's - 3 of those double OT.
Also, Kings win NYR series 4-1 despite leading for only 19% of game action (NYR: 30%), 2nd-lowest pct for champ since 1939.

I don't see how that can be overlooked as one of the best playoff runs.

Because my team lost in the finals. :p

dmbetc 03-30-2016 09:30 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16353150)
Because my team lost in the finals. :p

Well, of course. At least they were a part of history!

my heart still breaks for Lundqvist.

hailtopitt 03-30-2016 09:30 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16353148)
In an unbiased opinion, I think it's pretty up there in history to playoffs. They were the definition of resilient that year. They fought with their backs against the wall every single step of the way.

They were the first team ever to play 3 consecutive game 7's, not mention all on the road and they won them all. The 4th team to come from a 0-3 deficit.
26 games total. 10 OT's - 3 of those double OT.
Also, Kings win NYR series 4-1 despite leading for only 19% of game action (NYR: 30%), 2nd-lowest pct for champ since 1939.

I don't see how that can be overlooked as one of the best playoff runs.

:thumbsup and even though hardcore hockey people recognize coach Sutter as one of the best, he's still under appreciated in most circles. guys like Q and Torts and Vigneault get talked about a lot more, but Sutter is just as good, if not better than all of those guys

he knows how to control a bench and get his message across. he's flixible enough to adjust but stern enough to motivate. just a great coach from a royal hockey family

aeroshady 03-30-2016 09:35 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16353157)
Well, of course. At least they were a part of history!

my heart still breaks for Lundqvist.

Me too. He may go down in history as the best goalie never to win the cup. Although I really hope he gets one for us before he is done.

dmbetc 03-30-2016 09:35 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16353158)
:thumbsup and even though hardcore hockey people recognize coach Sutter as one of the best, he's still under appreciated in most circles. guys like Q and Torts and Vigneault get talked about a lot more, but Sutter is just as good, if not better than all of those guys

he knows how to control a bench and get his message across. he's flixible enough to adjust but stern enough to motivate. just a great coach from a royal hockey family

He gets over looked because he's in the Western conference. Just like Kopitar, Toffoli and Doughty get overlooked.

hailtopitt 03-30-2016 09:42 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16353174)
He gets over looked because he's in the Western conference. Just like Kopitar, Toffoli and Doughty get overlooked.

i don't know...voters love numbers and Karlsson had sexy numbers last year which is why he won the Norris...i'd say Doughty's worth is pretty well documented. i get what you mean though. if he played for an original 6, he might have a Norris by now

L.A., although in the west, is still a HUGE media market which you think would help but you're right, Kopitar and Toffoli are after thoughts a lot of the time

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 09:48 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16353070)
Happy in 2004 when the Red Sox came back against the Yankees. One of the greatest sporting moments of my life.

Aaron Boone my friend, one of the best sports moments in my life. Even though he was awful hit a huge home run to get the Yanks to the series. Just wish I could have celebrated more, when he hit that dinger I was in a tux at a university fundraiser so no drinking or excessive celebration.

I still get a kick out of Boston fans who think I am bullshitting when I say that the 2001 WS lose was worse than the Sox comeback in 2004. In 2001 the Yanks had come back from a 2-0 deficit in the DS and won 3 in a row to advance, then they beat the snot out of the 116 win Mariners to get to the World Series, then beat that closer in games 3 and 4, we had champagne on the table ready to celebrate before Mo blew the save - we were just stunned and silent. In 2004 we went up 3 games to none but there was still about a week worth of games to play so as Boston won a couple of games I had time to consider that we might just loose the series - it was not yanked away in a split second like 2001.

Funny thing is I was in the bleachers for game 7 in 2004 fully expecting the Yanks to win. Watching a pair of Damon home runs fly over my head sucked and worse I could not even have a beer (they didn't serve it it the bleachers back then and you could not go into another section to get one) or a smoke to calm down (thank god for xanax)- I finally went into a bathroom stall to have a cigarette figuring if I got caught I would not get in much trouble and would happily tell the security guard that the Yanks owed me a smoke for how bad they played~ Lastly, this one was brutal - I left the stadium and was walking towards the car I turned around and walked back to an outside vendor and grabbed my closest friend a program knowing how much he'd appreciate it since he is a life long Sox fan!

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 09:51 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16353145)
i agree but until the league gets serious about player safety, this shit will happen every night

Completely agree!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.