Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 01-14-2016 07:50 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16248763)
If Kopitar is getting 10, so much for JT getting less than 10. I figured he would take a little less than market when he resigns but the market is going up.

Also wanted to share Grabovski and Kulemin you tube video on how they are adjusting to Brookyln. Good stuff. I think even if you didn't grow up in the 5 boroughs, you can appreciate funny hockey guys. If not, there is always the hideous fish sticks jersey cameo.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/k...ipsters-video/

Love the laughing at the fishermen jersey.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16249010)
That's what everyone hopes, but it's so rare. There's so much pressure from the union to take market value.

Yeah the hometown discount doesn't usually come until they are like 34+ and have made their money and even then...it won't be much.

Roose13 01-14-2016 08:02 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Another nice win for the Flyers last night!

Lcsulla 01-14-2016 08:29 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Congratulations to coach Q for the win tonight that gives him sole possession of second place in ALL TIME WINS as an NHL coach in history!

salrx95 01-15-2016 04:53 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16249908)
Congratulations to coach Q for the win tonight that gives him sole possession of second place in ALL TIME WINS as an NHL coach in history!

Al still has more if we include the playoffs and I will hold onto that for a few more weeks, lol. Congrats coach Q.

Big win last night. Rag$ lost for the first time when holding a lead going into the 3rd for the first time in over 2 years. Halak owns Henrik, having beat him now in 8 straight starts against him, a bizarre stat for sure.

TMoore4075 01-15-2016 05:15 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16249908)
Congratulations to coach Q for the win tonight that gives him sole possession of second place in ALL TIME WINS as an NHL coach in history!

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16250063)
Al still has more if we include the playoffs and I will hold onto that for a few more weeks, lol. Congrats coach Q.

Only 461 behind Scotty. lol Now if you include playoff wins for Scotty too...

TMoore4075 01-15-2016 05:18 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Wings end a 6 game road trip 5-1, with a come from behind victory last night. Down 2-0 with under 10 to go, come back to win in OT against a Yotes team that has been playing well. Thanks to the Hawks for winning, cause now Wings up 4 on the Habs.

Also, look at all the Wings fans at this game.

https://youtu.be/R-MdcE8IfaM

How embarrassing is that for the Coyotes?

salrx95 01-15-2016 05:28 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16250073)
Only 461 behind Scotty. lol Now if you include playoff wins for Scotty too...

you had to bring Scotty into this, didn't you. He's akin to Connie Mack. He won't be reached ever, imo.

barbogast 01-15-2016 05:34 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Least surprising news you'll hear today: the Caps won again

TMoore4075 01-15-2016 05:34 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16250083)
you had to bring Scotty into this, didn't you. He's akin to Connie Mack. He won't be reached ever, imo.

It'll be tough. Q would have to win 46 wins a year for the next 10 years.

Lcsulla 01-15-2016 08:09 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16250073)
Only 461 behind Scotty. lol Now if you include playoff wins for Scotty too...

I had a rather unique experience in watching Q play and coach. Growing up in CT I got to see him play 6 seasons with the Whalers attending many of their home games and now is is the coach of the Hawks who I chose as my favorite team when the Whalers skipped town.

As for breaking Scotty's record, it is doable but will be rather tough. I imagine is is similar to some veteran pitcher winning his 300th game at age 35 or so and thinking - holy shit, I have to win over 200 more games to even have a chance of breaking Cy Young's win record.

unccrombie 01-15-2016 09:54 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16250090)
Least surprising news you'll hear today: the Caps won again

hope you guys get that presidents trophy

barbogast 01-15-2016 09:59 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16250664)
hope you guys get that presidents trophy

Oh boy oh boy oh boy me too

TMoore4075 01-15-2016 10:40 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16250668)
Oh boy oh boy oh boy me too

Worked very well the last time for the Caps right???

TMoore4075 01-15-2016 11:37 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
http://www.tsn.ca/habs-close-to-acqu...nordi-1.423578

Haha

fonzz41 01-15-2016 11:44 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16250090)
Least surprising news you'll hear today: the Caps won again

I've been meaning to tell you, I watched a chunk of their game against the Canucks (first time I've really watched them this year), and they looked fantastic. Balanced contributions from all lines in terms of guys doing their job, good play in the neutral zone, defense moved the puck well (need to be a little tougher in front of the net though) and their breakout was flawless.

Probably the thing I liked most is that Trotz seems to have found a system in which the team plays well, but the stars are allowed to shine. Besides Ovechkin (who did look good in terms of all-around play. I saw one pass of his that gave me a serious boner), I really noticed Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Oshie. And that's good. I mean, some claim that in a team with a good system, you shouldn't even notice the stars, but I would contend that a good system ALLOWS the stars to be noticed and do what they do best, while still being a part of that system. It was a lot of fun to watch. Ovie-Backstrom-Oshie seems to click well, as we thought they would.

All in all, the Caps seem poised to make some noise. And again, I'm not talking about their W-L record or their past failures. Anyone can talk about that. I'm talking about the product I saw on the ice for that game. If that's consistently how they're playing (something I wouldn't doubt on a Trotz-coached team), they could have a deep run this year.

fonzz41 01-15-2016 11:47 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16250834)

So what would happen to his all-star captaincy, now that he's out of the Pacific division?

hailtopitt 01-15-2016 11:52 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16250852)
So what would happen to his all-star captaincy, now that he's out of the Pacific division?

if he were a stand-up guy, he'd withdraw from the ASG altogether

fonzz41 01-15-2016 11:58 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16250856)
if he were a stand-up guy, he'd withdraw from the ASG altogether

Sounds like considered it. But I appreciated his reasons for committing to it.

barbogast 01-15-2016 12:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16250847)
I've been meaning to tell you, I watched a chunk of their game against the Canucks (first time I've really watched them this year), and they looked fantastic. Balanced contributions from all lines in terms of guys doing their job, good play in the neutral zone, defense moved the puck well (need to be a little tougher in front of the net though) and their breakout was flawless.

Probably the thing I liked most is that Trotz seems to have found a system in which the team plays well, but the stars are allowed to shine. Besides Ovechkin (who did look good in terms of all-around play. I saw one pass of his that gave me a serious boner), I really noticed Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Oshie. And that's good. I mean, some claim that in a team with a good system, you shouldn't even notice the stars, but I would contend that a good system ALLOWS the stars to be noticed and do what they do best, while still being a part of that system. It was a lot of fun to watch. Ovie-Backstrom-Oshie seems to click well, as we thought they would.

All in all, the Caps seem poised to make some noise. And again, I'm not talking about their W-L record or their past failures. Anyone can talk about that. I'm talking about the product I saw on the ice for that game. If that's consistently how they're playing (something I wouldn't doubt on a Trotz-coached team), they could have a deep run this year.

Wanna know what's really scary? Their entire top D pairing has been on the shelf for weeks now. Almost not noticeable.

Man, that President's trophy banner will look awesome up there next to the other one

barbogast 01-15-2016 12:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16250722)
Worked very well the last time for the Caps right???

Best season ever? I think yes, yes it was

barbogast 01-15-2016 12:33 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16250847)
I've been meaning to tell you, I watched a chunk of their game against the Canucks (first time I've really watched them this year), and they looked fantastic. Balanced contributions from all lines in terms of guys doing their job, good play in the neutral zone, defense moved the puck well (need to be a little tougher in front of the net though) and their breakout was flawless.

Probably the thing I liked most is that Trotz seems to have found a system in which the team plays well, but the stars are allowed to shine. Besides Ovechkin (who did look good in terms of all-around play. I saw one pass of his that gave me a serious boner), I really noticed Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Oshie. And that's good. I mean, some claim that in a team with a good system, you shouldn't even notice the stars, but I would contend that a good system ALLOWS the stars to be noticed and do what they do best, while still being a part of that system. It was a lot of fun to watch. Ovie-Backstrom-Oshie seems to click well, as we thought they would.

All in all, the Caps seem poised to make some noise. And again, I'm not talking about their W-L record or their past failures. Anyone can talk about that. I'm talking about the product I saw on the ice for that game. If that's consistently how they're playing (something I wouldn't doubt on a Trotz-coached team), they could have a deep run this year.

To expand on my previous response, all of this is why I'm so nervous about the playoffs this year. Anyone who really watches a game of theirs will understand what I mean when I say: this is the year they are actually built to win the Cup. All the pieces are clearly there, both on a tangible basis and on an intangible one too. Roster wise, there isn't anything to dislike really. Two legit lethal scoring lines. Teams truly cannot focus on shutting down 8-19-77 because Kuznetsov will absolutely burn you no matter who is playing wing for him. Like I said, they're proving to be very strong defensively without even having their top 2 in the lineup. Can you imagine what life will be like when John Carlson comes back? Good lord. Two great checking lines that can score as well. Jason Chimera and Tom Wilson have been very strong recently. And obviously, Holtby's season cannot be overstated enough. He's on pace to record one of the greatest seasons of goaltending ever.

Then there's the intangible stuff. The way they play for each other, and really truly give a fuck in a way I've not seen from this team before. The chemistry that developed almost instantly between Ovechkin and Oshie, or Kuznetsov and Williams. The talk the right talk. Braden Holtby got asked "how do you feel about the possibility of setting a record for single season wins?" His response: "none of that stuff matters if we get bounced early." Stuff like that.

Basically, this team really should win the Cup this time. In 2010 when they got bounced by the Habs there was noticeable deficiencies, especially in goal and on defense. They relied solely on the ability to score 5-7 goals per game. Then they ran into a freakishly hot goalie and couldn't handle it.

There are no deficiencies this year. This team is built correctly and have proven all season that they can be successful no matter what the situation in the game is. Good team that they blow a lead against? No problem. Go down 3 early? No problem. Play against weaker competition? No problem. The pieces are really all there. Brian McLellan and Barry Trotz have turned this team into a monster.

There's just that big ugly playoff choking thing. They gotta shake that. I'm nervous that they cannot. We thought we couldn't take the Caps seriously before? If they get bounced in round one or two this year, yikes. Especially considering how weak the East has been this year by comparison. They can't choke this time. Any respect they have is gone. And I don't really care about being respected by the rest of the league. I'm just nervous how it affects this franchise going forward.

I'm really just ready for the playoffs. I don't wanna do three more months of season. I wanna see what this team's really all about. And they deserve a better fate this year. They've earned it. But we'll see.

End of Caps novel, we can continue on with our lives now

barbogast 01-15-2016 12:50 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16250834)

Sorry for the quadruple post, but this is getting awfully ridiculous now. This has to be the most bizarre all star inclusion of all time.

hailtopitt 01-15-2016 12:59 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16250877)
Man, that President's trophy banner will look awesome up there next to the other one

:lol:lol

TMoore4075 01-15-2016 04:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Bob McKenzie reporting that Scott was asked by Coyotes and NHL to bow out of all star game and he refused. Now that he's been traded and sent to the AHL he is ineligible. Obviously this whole thing with him has been a huge joke but in a way, good for him. This is what you open yourself up to when you have fans being able to vote for this, especially digitally. This isn't back in the day when you had to mail in ballots. By letting fans vote and vote a shit-ton, this is what you get. The all star game is supposed to be entrainment anyways so who gives a shit if he was there? It would be entertaining to say the least.

lockman21 01-15-2016 05:38 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I don't know if it's "good for him" as much as it is "fuck the NHL".

I truly am just baffled how a league can take such good ideas as this "3 on 3 OT" or the Winter Classic, and then fuck them up so bad.

It's the fucking All-Star game. It's meant to be fun. No one takes that shit seriously. Only baseball is dumb enough to try and make that game matter. Just let it be hilarious. He generated more attention for the ASG than any draft or 3 on 3 gimmick possibly could.

I was so excited for the ASG. Now I'm 100% not watching it. That's SO shitty to uproot someone's life and family for this reason. Fuck that.

dmbetc 01-15-2016 05:50 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
So shitty what the NHL and Coyotes did to John Scott.

~Crashintome89~ 01-15-2016 07:05 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Hung out with the Rangers tonight.

Hank is just a model, so unfair.

Dominic Moore, Chris Kreider, and Captain America were awesome.

Lcsulla 01-15-2016 07:24 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Damn, what a show put on by Patrick Kane tonight. 3 goals and an assist, pretty damn impressive. I will admit I was surprised to find out that it was his first regular season hat trick.

dmbetc 01-15-2016 07:31 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16251219)
Hung out with the Rangers tonight.

Hank is just a model, so unfair.

Dominic Moore, Chris Kreider, and Captain America were awesome.

So jelly. I wanna smell Hank. I bet he smells delicious.

Lcsulla 01-15-2016 07:39 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16251234)
Damn, what a show put on by Patrick Kane tonight. 3 goals and an assist, pretty damn impressive. I will admit I was surprised to find out that it was his first regular season hat trick.

Hate to quote myself but I just saw on the news that both Kane and Vladislav Namestnikov (TB) had hat tricks on "National hat day" - whatever the heck that means as a holiday. :lol


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.