Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

bradshaw06 12-14-2015 06:42 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

No more Scuderi:multi:washer:hump

JRS1386 12-14-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16220103)
Feeling pretty good about this streak going 82 games.

So it will end sometime in the playoffs?

lockman21 12-14-2015 08:03 PM

Uh wtf is going on

Lcsulla 12-14-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16221478)
Uh wtf is going on

I like the deal actually. Daley is 4 years younger but Scuderi has a lot more experience, particularly playoff and championship experience, and to be completely honest it never seemed like Daley fit in all that well with the Hawks.

lockman21 12-14-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16221509)
I like the deal actually. Daley is 4 years younger but Scuderi has a lot more experience, particularly playoff and championship experience, and to be completely honest it never seemed like Daley fit in all that well with the Hawks.

You say that now...

There's a reason Pens fans everywhere are celebrating someone "taking" Scuderi. He's old and really, really slow. He can barely skate.

I'm assuming we're going to call up someone from Rockford and Scuderi is the 7th defensemen? What REALLY pisses me off about this, though, is that we traded Sharp AND Stephen Johns for essentially Scuderi and Garbutt. Seriously? God damnit.

Daley didn't fit with the Hawks, no...but give it some time. I don't understand this at all unless there's more to it. There has to be more to it.

lockman21 12-14-2015 10:25 PM

Scuderi is essentially slower Roszival with worse hockey IQ, and can't move the puck as well.

Yay.

swordo84 12-15-2015 06:30 AM

Well I'll be damned. The Oilers currently sit in a playoff spot!

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16221576)
Scuderi is essentially slower Roszival with worse hockey IQ, and can't move the puck as well.

Yay.

not to mention he makes WAY too much money

i love the trade as a Pens fans, but i'm not sure i understand it from the Hawks' perspective

TMoore4075 12-15-2015 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16221700)
Well I'll be damned. The Oilers currently sit in a playoff spot!

How bad is that division?

fonzz41 12-15-2015 07:27 AM

I did see that the Pens were eating 1/3 of his salary, which helps the Hawks cap situation a little. But still, that's $2 million being spent on a guy who will probably play even less than Daley's 14 mins a night.

Agree with Chris - he'll probably be a 7th defenseman, with some time on the bottom pair. I guess sometimes that's the price you pay to shed salary.

Pros: he's gritty as can be. He'll play through everything and take on anyone who comes his way. Also a pretty good shot blocker. Good leader too. He's one of those guys who you like to have in your back pocket of injuries hit deep in the playoffs.

Cons: everything Chris said. I wouldn't be so hard on his hockey IQ. But yeah, his body definitely hasn't been able to keep up with his mind or heart. And since he's not on the smarts level of Nick Lidstrom, he's simply not very effective. Five years ago, I would've loved him on the team. Now? Respectfully pass.

lockman21 12-15-2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16221743)
not to mention he makes WAY too much money

i love the trade as a Pens fans, but i'm not sure i understand it from the Hawks' perspective

Cap space, which is why I believe there's more happening in the background. Maybe we won't see it come for another couple months, maybe he's opening up cap space for a trade deadline acquisition. Not sure.

But Daley wasn't working. He's not a poor man's Mike Green, he's a broke man's Mike Green.

From an article when the Hawks acquired him:

Quote:

As Scott Cullen notes, Daley “was woefully overmatched in his role as a top pair defenceman for Dallas last season, posting the worst relative possession stats among 128 defencemen to play at least 1000 5-on-5 minutes.”
He's just not good, either. He was the new target of my anger. He pinches on EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PLAY. Dude, hold the blue line every once and a while, fuck. Every single play he's below the goal line. It seemed like every single time he was on the ice, play was going the other way. He wasn't generating any offense, which may be a result of having Duncan Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson all better than him at doing it the "Hawks way".

Don't get me wrong, I think he's better than Scuderi...he can at least skate...but I'm guessing this isn't the end of this move for the Hawks. At least I hope not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16221825)
I did see that the Pens were eating 1/3 of his salary, which helps the Hawks cap situation a little. But still, that's $2 million being spent on a guy who will probably play even less than Daley's 14 mins a night.

Agree with Chris - he'll probably be a 7th defenseman, with some time on the bottom pair. I guess sometimes that's the price you pay to shed salary.

Pros: he's gritty as can be. He'll play through everything and take on anyone who comes his way. Also a pretty good shot blocker. Good leader too. He's one of those guys who you like to have in your back pocket of injuries hit deep in the playoffs.

Cons: everything Chris said. I wouldn't be so hard on his hockey IQ. But yeah, his body definitely hasn't been able to keep up with his mind or heart. And since he's not on the smarts level of Nick Lidstrom, he's simply not very effective. Five years ago, I would've loved him on the team. Now? Respectfully pass.

I think he'll be better in Chicago than he was in Pitt. I think he'll surprise some people when he can play the same role Kimmo played last year (maybe a couple more minutes a game than Kimmo got). We'll see. I think he gets 6-8 minutes of ice time per game.

Or maybe they send him straight down to Rockford for even more cap savings. Who knows? Again, I don't think this is the end of this chapter for the Hawks.

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16221959)
Cap space, which is why I believe there's more happening in the background. Maybe we won't see it come for another couple months, maybe he's opening up cap space for a trade deadline acquisition. Not sure.

But Daley wasn't working. He's not a poor man's Mike Green, he's a broke man's Mike Green.

From an article when the Hawks acquired him:

Code:

As Scott Cullen notes, Daley “was woefully overmatched in his role as a top pair defenceman for Dallas last season, posting the worst relative possession stats among 128 defencemen to play at least 1000 5-on-5 minutes.”
He's just not good, either. He was the new target of my anger. He pinches on EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PLAY. Dude, hold the blue line every once and a while, fuck. Every single play he's below the goal line. It seemed like every single time he was on the ice, play was going the other way. He wasn't generating any offense, which may be a result of having Duncan Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson all better than him at doing it the "Hawks way".

Don't get me wrong, I think he's better than Scuderi...he can at least skate...but I'm guessing this isn't the end of this move for the Hawks. At least I hope not..

the bolded is perfect for the Penguins, honestly...Pens always pinch D-men and drop the F3 forward to cover up...it's risky but they often turn it into a lengthy possession

also, Daley had 16 goals with Dallas which is nothing to sneeze at. plus, he won't be in the top pairing in Pittsbugh.

once Letang is healthy, it'll look something like this:

Letang--Maata
Cole--Dumoulin
Daley--Lovejoy

they could mix and match a little, but the top pair is set in stone for sure. they should be calling up Pouliot soon as well

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 08:53 AM

i don't know if the Hawks can even send him to Rockford...being the tenured veteran that Scuderi is, i'd assume he has a 1-way contract

i'm just guessing though

TMoore4075 12-15-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16221967)
i don't know if the Hawks can even send him to Rockford...being the tenured veteran that Scuderi is, i'd assume he has a 1-way contract

i'm just guessing though

They should be able to send him as long as he clears waivers. Now, it'll only clear like 950k or something off the books so probably not worth it in that regard.

fonzz41 12-15-2015 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16221967)

i'm just guessing though

He can still be sent to the minors regardless. A 1-way contract just means he gets paid the same amount salary-wise no matter if he's in the NHL or AHL. Unless I'm missing something?

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16222022)
They should be able to send him as long as he clears waivers. Now, it'll only clear like 950k or something off the books so probably not worth it in that regard.

ok yea that makes sense

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16222029)
He can still be sent to the minors regardless. A 1-way contract just means he gets paid the same amount salary-wise no matter if he's in the NHL or AHL. Unless I'm missing something?

yea, you're right. i just looked it up

still kind of a head-scratcher of a trade though IMO

~Crashintome89~ 12-15-2015 09:44 AM

Penguins are just grasping for straws at this point.

Honestly, the best thing that ever happened to Rangers, Caps, Flyers fanbases was the hiring of Jim Rutherford in Pittsburgh.

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16222053)
Penguins are just grasping for straws at this point.

Honestly, the best thing that ever happened to Rangers, Caps, Flyers fanbases was the hiring of Jim Rutherford in Pittsburgh.

not sure how trading Scuderi is grasping at straws?

but you're right about Rutherford. he's been awful

fonzz41 12-15-2015 10:00 AM

I don't think every NHL trade has to be a blockbuster that alters the entire present and future of the franchises involved. Some are just done simply to address needs, even small ones.

The Penguins wanted to move on from Scuderi and add some mobility to their blueline. The Hawks were looking to shed some salary and perhaps stock the cupboard a little more in preparation for another extended playoff run.

Boom, that's it. Both teams addressed minor needs.

TMoore4075 12-15-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16222090)
I don't think every NHL trade has to be a blockbuster that alters the entire present and future of the franchises involved. Some are just done simply to address needs, even small ones.

The Penguins wanted to move on from Scuderi and add some mobility to their blueline. The Hawks were looking to shed some salary and perhaps stock the cupboard a little more in preparation for another extended playoff run.

Boom, that's it. Both teams addressed minor needs.

Not everything can be a Drury for Morris trade.

~Crashintome89~ 12-15-2015 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16222069)
not sure how trading Scuderi is grasping at straws?

They had to retain salary to move him, but they also get another D-man, who while can add a little bit of offense, needs to have sheltered minutes.

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16222110)
They had to retain salary to move him, but they also get another D-man, who while can add a little bit of offense, needs to have sheltered minutes.

yea but he'll naturally get sheltered minutes. they don't really need to go out of their way to make that happen

he'll be on the bottom pair. maybe the 2nd pair until Letang gets back, maybe

and of course they had to retain salary to move Scuds. his contract was abysmal...but guess who gave him that awful contract...hint: not Rutherford

so it's been bad for a while now with the Pens, not just under the new regime

fonzz41 12-15-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16222101)
Not everything can be a Drury for Morris trade.

I've been sitting here trying to think of a bad Red Wings trade to come back with, but then I realized Ken Holland doesn't make bad trades.

And Chris Drury...:snot

TMoore4075 12-15-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16222130)
I've been sitting here trying to think of a bad Red Wings trade to come back with, but then I realized Ken Holland doesn't make bad trades.

And Chris Drury...:snot

There were a couple that didn't work out but nothing terrible. Worst could be Bertuzzi and giving up a few picks and Shawn Mattias but Mattias never turned into the pro so many though he would and the Wings got the WCF's that year. Wings fans point to Cory Cross in 2006 but they gave up some late pick for him so...who cares? If that's what you have to point to to find the trades that didn't work out, what does that say?

lockman21 12-15-2015 02:11 PM

Daley asked to be traded, and he supposedly wasn't meshing with the Hawks in the locker room just as much as he wasn't on the ice.

Lcsulla 12-15-2015 07:19 PM

Who is refing this game, Stevie fucking Wonder? Holy motherfucking christ this guy is a retard! He gets in the way of players, misses calls that a bind dude could see, fails to notice when the avs take dives like some fucking south american soccer player and just plain sucks shit. This is bullshit, it is almost like the cocksuckers wants colorado to win - bastard. Also, fuck the dirty ass cheating motherfucking avs, hope one of their best players gets a broken damn neck I am so sick of their shit way of playing.

That rant over, gotta get it going on offense and I hope Kane can continue his streak - if the motherfucking refs don't get in his way literally and by missing calls a blind guy could see. This whole thing seems rigged by the refs, may they rot in hell for being so fucking awful.

JRS1386 12-15-2015 07:32 PM

Ghost bear is the best

dmbetc 12-15-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16222682)
Who is refing this game, Stevie fucking Wonder? Holy motherfucking christ this guy is a retard! He gets in the way of players, misses calls that a bind dude could see, fails to notice when the avs take dives like some fucking south american soccer player and just plain sucks shit. This is bullshit, it is almost like the cocksuckers wants colorado to win - bastard. Also, fuck the dirty ass cheating motherfucking avs, hope one of their best players gets a broken damn neck I am so sick of their shit way of playing.

That rant over, gotta get it going on offense and I hope Kane can continue his streak - if the motherfucking refs don't get in his way literally and by missing calls a blind guy could see. This whole thing seems rigged by the refs, may they rot in hell for being so fucking awful.

yikes.....

JRS1386 12-15-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16222682)

:eek :eek
:grimey

dmbetc 12-15-2015 08:09 PM

Kane's streak ends, did Jamie set his house on fire yet?