Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Lcsulla 05-31-2016 08:36 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16444456)
Even with the lose, Jones looks amazing. Love to see him doing well.

Yeah, once he shook off a weeks worth of rust (and likely nerves) he looked amazing last night. Bonino's game winner was a perfect storm for Pittsburgh - a complete fluke that none of will see again anytime soon. One Shark lost his stick, another Shark in front of the goal had his stick in the air rather than on the ice to block that pass and it appeared that Jones sort of lost a grip on his stick and Bonino cashed in. Not taking anything at all away from the Penguins, they played a great game by weathering the heat in the second and a full on onslaught in the third. I think this series goes the distance because SJ has a much deeper defensive corps and cycles through all four lines extremely well, not to mention their PP is rock solid.

Saw all that on expansion, olympics and the World Cup of Hockey. I think the US may have the top scoring line in the tournament if they choose to put Pavelski and Kane on the first line, would be pretty amazing to watch those two work together with Kane feeding Pavelski in front of the net for tip in's and deflections. That said I do not believe they have a great shot at winning largely due to their lack of depth on defense.

TheLastPig 05-31-2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16444813)
Yeah, once he shook off a weeks worth of rust (and likely nerves) he looked amazing last night. Bonino's game winner was a perfect storm for Pittsburgh - a complete fluke that none of will see again anytime soon. One Shark lost his stick, another Shark in front of the goal had his stick in the air rather than on the ice to block that pass and it appeared that Jones sort of lost a grip on his stick and Bonino cashed in. Not taking anything at all away from the Penguins, they played a great game by weathering the heat in the second and a full on onslaught in the third. I think this series goes the distance because SJ has a much deeper defensive corps and cycles through all four lines extremely well, not to mention their PP is rock solid.

Saw all that on expansion, olympics and the World Cup of Hockey. I think the US may have the top scoring line in the tournament if they choose to put Pavelski and Kane on the first line, would be pretty amazing to watch those two work together with Kane feeding Pavelski in front of the net for tip in's and deflections. That said I do not believe they have a great shot at winning largely due to their lack of depth on defense.

While Jones did look comfortable after the 1st, he still didnt impress me as much, nor seem as under control as Vasilevskiy did in the last round. Clearly it was one game and he still has room to improve, but I thought it was worth noting.

TMoore4075 05-31-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16444801)
I'm very interested in how the Olympic thing shakes out. There's a particularly vocal player on my team who has said many times now that he will play regardless. I'm sure he's not alone in that sentiment either. I'm curious what exactly that will mean. I mean, what are Leonsis and co. really gonna do to Ovie if he gets on a plane and flies to South Korea? Would the nhl mandate suspensions for players that did that? Smells like PR nightmare. Force some of your top tier stars to sit out because they want to represent their countries in the Olympics? Sounds bad to me

Yeah I don't know what they'll do. I wonder what those players would have been saying in 94 and before? NHL players didn't go, so would Ovie or anyone like him say "I am going no matter what!" or would they just accept it wasn't a tourney for them? The players like him need to realize that this wasn't a guarantee in their contract, this was something they were doing while they could and it made sense. I understand you want to go but you signed an NHL contract. I wouldn't be able to just abandon my job for 2.5 weeks...

TMoore4075 05-31-2016 10:01 AM

Hitch back for one more...final...year.

unccrombie 05-31-2016 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16444886)
Yeah I don't know what they'll do. I wonder what those players would have been saying in 94 and before? NHL players didn't go, so would Ovie or anyone like him say "I am going no matter what!" or would they just accept it wasn't a tourney for them? The players like him need to realize that this wasn't a guarantee in their contract, this was something they were doing while they could and it made sense. I understand you want to go but you signed an NHL contract. I wouldn't be able to just abandon my job for 2.5 weeks...

you can definitely abandon your job, it's called vacation.

Lcsulla 05-31-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16444881)
While Jones did look comfortable after the 1st, he still didnt impress me as much, nor seem as under control as Vasilevskiy did in the last round. Clearly it was one game and he still has room to improve, but I thought it was worth noting.

Yeah, I agree - that said Murray looked shaky in the second but bounced back. That is to be expected though for both of them considering that before this postseason started Jones and Murray had a combined 58 minutes of postseason experience.

TMoore4075 05-31-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16444920)
you can definitely abandon your job, it's called vacation.

I think the word abandon constitutes unapproved time away and there are times I can't take vacation. So if my boss said no, I don't just say I'm going anyways please still give me my salary and let me keep my job. Also pretty sure the NHL's vacation policy is when your season is done you get to go. I get if he wants to play but his contract is with the Caps and I can all but guarantee nowhere in there does it say the Olympics are a guarantee.

unccrombie 05-31-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16444941)
I think the word abandon constitutes unapproved time away and there are times I can't take vacation. So if my boss said no, I don't just say I'm going anyways please still give me my salary and let me keep my job. Also pretty sure the NHL's vacation policy is when your season is done you get to go. I get if he wants to play but his contract is with the Caps and I can all but guarantee nowhere in there does it say the Olympics are a guarantee.

I agree.

however, if I'm a big name star, the only way they're keeping me on US soil is the "outside NHL game" injury clause.

barbogast 05-31-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16444886)

But 94 and prior, nhl players had never played in Olympics and it wasn't expected. You are right, it's not guaranteed contractually, but again, there's a certain precedent that's been in place now for 18 years, so it's not unreasonable for players to have some level of expectation that they'll be able to participate. Again, the NHL is "right" in this instance and can do what they want, but I guess depending on how much star power there really is behind the pro olympic movement, they run the risk of looking really bad (not out of the ordinary for the nhl, of course).

Basically, if the nhl and the IOC wanna partner together and ban any nhl participation, they absolutely can, but I think it's gonna end up looking bad for them if they do. You can't let it fly for two decades and then suddenly pull the plug because South Korea isn't convenient, and assume everyone's just gonna be fine with it.

It's the old having your cake/eating it thing.

#garageleague

unccrombie 05-31-2016 11:10 AM

did I miss the memo where we hate South Korea?
USA and SK are flexing the military muscles together out on the beach 24/7
we're like frat bros on spring break

unccrombie 05-31-2016 12:22 PM

this is truly a terrible read: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...er-stanley-cup

kev87lads 06-01-2016 10:14 AM

Wow. Game day and nothing?

barbogast 06-01-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16446297)
Wow. Game day and nothing?

That's what happens when a team everyone hates plays a team no one cares about

It's a ghost town in here :lol

fonzz41 06-01-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16446298)

To be clear, if Game 1 was any indication, this will be one of my favorite Finals in years. I just don't have anything else to say about it right now.

barbogast 06-01-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16446328)
To be clear, if Game 1 was any indication, this will be one of my favorite Finals in years. I just don't have anything else to say about it right now.

I was kidding of course. I did not watch game one but I'm sure it was most enjoyable

hailtopitt 06-01-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16446298)

yea this

i'm talkin shop with people in town 24/7 but no one in this thread is happy about the matchup so i'll just stay away unless things pick up.

not in the mood for hate during the SCF

fonzz41 06-01-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16446331)
yea this

i'm talkin shop with people in town 24/7 but no one in this thread is happy about the matchup so i'll just stay away unless things pick up.

I'm happy to chat about the matchup and think it's one of the better ones in recent history. Strength against strength, very unclear who will come out on top. I'm loving it.

dmbetc 06-01-2016 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16446328)

Yup, this. It was a great game but I have zero interest in getting into conversation about this series.

I wish both could lose.

hailtopitt 06-01-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16446342)
I'm happy to chat about the matchup and think it's one of the better ones in recent history. Strength against strength, very unclear who will come out on top. I'm loving it.

common theme from the Pens' standpoint is the power play

if they get the PP going, the series is going to the Pens

although i still think the Penguins are slightly better even at 5-on-5...still anything can happen. Game 1 was highly entertaining and Crosby was amazing

UCFish 06-01-2016 10:38 AM

Want the Sharks to win. Game one was fun.

My wife thinks Burns is gross.

fonzz41 06-01-2016 10:38 AM

Y'know how you know someone is a good friend when you can go for extended periods of time without talking to each other, but then just randomly pick up where you left off later?

Maybe that's us right now. :lol

fonzz41 06-01-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16446352)
common theme from the Pens' standpoint is the power play

if they get the PP going, the series is going to the Pens

although i still think the Penguins are slightly better even at 5-on-5...still anything can happen. Game 1 was highly entertaining and Crosby was amazing

I agree about the Pens PP, but I'm still very reluctant to give the series to them even based on that. The Sharks PP is also damn good.

If I were to dumb it down to one distinct characteristic per team, it would be speed versus discipline (as in, discipline within playing a system). I just love watching teams that excel at two different things go head to head. Just a lot of fun to watch.

dmbetc 06-01-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16446355)

Burns spitting in his beard Game 1 was probably the grossest thing I've seen.

Dramageek 06-01-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16446357)
Y'know how you know someone is a good friend when you can go for extended periods of time without talking to each other, but then just randomly pick up where you left off later?

It does get a little more quiet during the SCF in here when most everyone's teams are out. :lol

That said, Go Pens! Fend off the inevitable desperate storm by the very talented Sharks and keep scoring goals like you've been doing for months. Expect Malkin to go into beast mode after the birth of his child. He's so good at scoring, he helped produce a son with the same body weight as his uniform number. :lol

#BoninoBoninoBonino #InRustWeTrust

Okay, I'm done.

^That was definitely gross. But I love Burns and the zero fucks that he gives.

barbogast 06-01-2016 10:49 AM

Fucking sucks Nick Bonino is a Penguin. I really enjoyed watching him during the Caps series. I wanna like him so bad.

That youtube video that was linked a couple weeks ago still gets stuck in my head all the time :lol

TMoore4075 06-01-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16446373)
It does get a little more quiet during the SCF in here when most everyone's teams are out. :lol

I think this is a lot of it. I only watched a little of game 1 so can't really comment on it.

My mind is going to the offseason and wanting to see what the Wings do.

~Crashintome89~ 06-01-2016 11:09 AM

I know it's Eklund, but apparently he thinks Tampa is going to trade Bishop in order to keep Stamkos.

If Stamkos had been key components in both playoff runs in the past two years, or at least one year, I'd say I would agree. But with the way Tampa has shaken out in terms of offense and not skipping a beat with Stamkos, I really think they need to consider just not signing Stamkos and keeping Bishop. You need that good/great goaltender.

TheLastPig 06-01-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16446331)
yea this

:lol yep. This is exactly why I havent been chatty in here.

barbogast 06-01-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16446440)
I know it's Eklund, but apparently he thinks Tampa is going to trade Bishop in order to keep Stamkos.

If Stamkos had been key components in both playoff runs in the past two years, or at least one year, I'd say I would agree. But with the way Tampa has shaken out in terms of offense and not skipping a beat with Stamkos, I really think they need to consider just not signing Stamkos and keeping Bishop. You need that good/great goaltender.

Agreed. Elite level goaltending is harder to find and more important. Tampa's fine without Stamkos, they'll still get their goals. Trading Bishop would be very dumb.

fonzz41 06-01-2016 11:15 AM

I think the only real, vitriolic, seemingly serious hater is Brohan, and he's pretty easy to ignore.

TheLastPig 06-01-2016 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16446390)
Fucking sucks Nick Bonino is a Penguin. I really enjoyed watching him during the Caps series. I wanna like him so bad.

That youtube video that was linked a couple weeks ago still gets stuck in my head all the time :lol

He was bad all season for the most part. Been fantastic the last 2+ months. Just has a knack for scoring big goals.

Also, I really think this series is going to come down to what team can impose their style of play on the other more often. Pens won 2/3 periods monday, and therefore the game as well. They did a fantastic job on the forecheck, and I think thats going to play a major key in this series.

fonzz41 06-01-2016 11:22 AM

I agree that the Penns had the slight upper hand in Game 1.

One thing about Pete DeBoer is he's been good all year at making slight adjustments to his overall system to adapt to an opponents style of play. It became very apparent how good he is at that during both the Nashville and St. Louis series. Not so much in-game, but between games.

Thus, Game 2 will say a lot. It will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments the Sharks make, and if they are effective. That said, it's not like the Sharks played poorly and I think regardless the series will be tight.

hailtopitt 06-01-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16446357)

i love us

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16446363)
I agree about the Pens PP, but I'm still very reluctant to give the series to them even based on that. The Sharks PP is also damn good.

If I were to dumb it down to one distinct characteristic per team, it would be speed versus discipline (as in, discipline within playing a system). I just love watching teams that excel at two different things go head to head. Just a lot of fun to watch.

yea it's a titanic matchup on the ice

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16446453)
I think the only real, vitriolic, seemingly serious hater is Brohan, and he's pretty easy to ignore.

who?

TMoore4075 06-01-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16446440)

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16446446)
Agreed. Elite level goaltending is harder to find and more important. Tampa's fine without Stamkos, they'll still get their goals. Trading Bishop would be very dumb.

I think they'll both be gone within a year. Bishop is a UFA next summer and you've got a young goalie who I think proved he could play with the big boys in the ECF's. Add to it that you can only protect one goalie, they sure won't sign him before the expansion draft next year. I could see him getting traded if they find the right deal this summer, but keeping him won't hurt because you can have two damn good goalies for the price of one. The amount of money TBL can save by trading or not signing Bishop and letting Stammer walk is great for all the guys who they'll need to sign the next couple of years.

lockman21 06-01-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16446355)

Here ya go - http://bfy.tw/1kvW

kev87lads 06-01-2016 01:03 PM

And my work is done here. Thank you.

Edit: Congrats to Barbs for having us hit 40,000 posts in dis here thread. Another solid regular season milestone.

Roose13 06-01-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16446661)
Congrats to Barbs for having us hit 40,000 posts in dis here thread. Another solid regular season milestone.

He can hang that banner next to the President's Trophy one.

TheLastPig 06-01-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16446707)
He can hang that banner next to the President's Trophy one.

:lol Ruthless

Still bold words from a Flyers fan

Dramageek 06-01-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16446743)
:lol Ruthless

Still bold words from a Flyers fan

Ouch!

Still, #1975 >>> #NothingButPresidentsTrophies

barbogast 06-01-2016 01:49 PM

I get an extra big banner because I got us to 40k during the SCF right?

You guys know any excuse to raise a banner is good in my book

Skywalker1138 06-01-2016 05:33 PM

Why isn't the 2nd game on the regular NBC channel? Fuck AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR! Is it on a national radio station?

unccrombie 06-01-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker1138 (Post 16447069)
Why isn't the 2nd game on the regular NBC channel? Fuck AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR! Is it on a national radio station?

actual NBC only typically shows weekend games or elimination games

dmbetc 06-01-2016 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker1138 (Post 16447069)

Don't just come walking in here and get all snippy, mister.

Roose13 06-01-2016 05:56 PM

Who the fuck is this guy?

~Crashintome89~ 06-01-2016 06:19 PM

I always knew the Skywalker family were a bunch of assholes.

barbogast 06-01-2016 06:21 PM

American Ninja Warrior >>> Penns hockey

Dramageek 06-01-2016 06:30 PM

HBK all the way!!

hailtopitt 06-01-2016 07:51 PM

I hate going here, I really do, but the Pens should've had about 4 or 5 more power plays than they've been granted so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dramageek 06-01-2016 08:13 PM

Conor Fucking Sheary and Sidney Fucking Crosby! Should've been more goals by both teams thanks to the goal posts, but the Pens carried the play most of the game!

aeroshady 06-01-2016 08:14 PM

Sharks seem pretty F'ed in this series. Pens are making me feel a lot better about the Rangers this year.

aeroshady 06-01-2016 08:16 PM

Sharks seem pretty F'ed in this series. Pens are making me feel a lot better about the Rangers this year.

aeroshady 06-01-2016 08:16 PM

aeroshady 06-01-2016 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16447272)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16447277)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16447278)

Classic ants

bradshaw06 06-01-2016 08:21 PM

Yes! Yes!

bradshaw06 06-01-2016 08:21 PM

Pens are so fast

Dramageek 06-01-2016 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16447290)
Pens are so fast

So so fast! The HBK line is killing them so far.

hailtopitt 06-01-2016 08:27 PM

I hate going here, I really do, but the Pens should've had about 4 or 5 more power plays than they've been granted so far

TheLastPig 06-01-2016 08:30 PM

Conor Sheary Tha God

TheLastPig 06-01-2016 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16447298)

Missed 2 too many men on the ice calls.

fonzz41 06-01-2016 08:31 PM

Another great game. Looking forward to game 3!

bradshaw06 06-01-2016 08:32 PM

All i want, is to feel this way, to be this close...

dmbetc 06-01-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16447309)
All i want, is to feel this way, to be this close...

:thumbsup good tune

barbogast 06-02-2016 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16447272)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16447277)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16447278)

This would be true if Jamie Benn were actually a fresking center idiot

unccrombie 06-02-2016 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16447303)
Missed 2 too many men on the ice calls.

to be fair, the lots of missed calls both ways

~Crashintome89~ 06-02-2016 06:24 AM

trd1610 06-02-2016 06:44 AM

Penguins have been phenomenal so far, obviously a lot can change in games 3/4, but they don't look like the Sharks will be able to stop them.

fonzz41 06-02-2016 06:56 AM

Yeah. The Sharks haven't looked terrible, the Penns just look REALLY good.

Watching their forwards work in their own zone has been a thing of beauty.

Dramageek 06-02-2016 07:10 AM

I really do like the Sharks as a team and organization. They have a good mix of grizzled veterans and youthful electricity. They could still make some noise in this series. But come on, Logan Couture, really? Would you like some tasty Brie to go with this whine?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ng-in-faceoffs

unccrombie 06-02-2016 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16447604)
I really do like the Sharks as a team and organization. They have a good mix of grizzled veterans and youthful electricity. They could still make some noise in this series. But come on, Logan Couture, really? Would you like some tasty Brie to go with this whine?

"he times them"

that's not cheating. that's fucking good anticipation. what a ponce

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16447390)

i don't think so, not last night

2 too many men, 1 high stick and 2 interferences all by the Sharks went uncalled

Pens still won though. and i hate complaining about officiating but it was glaringly bad last night.

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 07:18 AM

yea Logan Couture in full melt down mode after the game

so awesome

unccrombie 06-02-2016 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16447619)

2 too many men, 1 high stick and 2 interferences all by the Sharks went uncalled

Pens still won though. and i hate complaining about officiating but it was glaringly bad last night.

pens had a high sticking that went uncalled.
the too many men to end the period was glaring

Dramageek 06-02-2016 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16447657)

It was a makeup call for when the Pens got away with the same thing in the 2009 SCF. :lol

TMoore4075 06-02-2016 07:37 AM

Go Wings......nothing?....ok.

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16447657)

both interferences, the high stick and the too many men were all glaring

not even judgement calls, just obvious penalties. all of them.

fonzz41 06-02-2016 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16447604)

:lol Oh, Logan.

Crosby has been so good this series. Leading by example. All over the ice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16447619)

C'mon buddy, this doesn't look good on you. As the objective watcher without a horse in the race, I feel I've gotta check you here :hug. There could have been calls both ways. There always are.

But really, there's so much that's good going on with this series that we could be talking about instead. How about how the Penns forwards absolutely smother the Sharks d-men in the Penns zone? How at least two guys are going down to block every shot? How Crosby is dishing pucks out of the corners like a guy on a checking line? How Patrick Hornqvist is like freaking Tomas Holmstrom out there? How Phil Kessel all of a sudden looks like Patrick Kane? NICK BONINO? How the Pens move through the neutral zone like a choreographed dance? The emergence of Ben Lovejoy as maybe the most steady, reliable defenseman on the team? RUST?

And I mean, that's just on the Penns side of things.

Some really great inspiring hockey right now. And yeah, while sometimes officiating calls are missed or whatever, it hasn't affected the quality of play at all IMO. As an objective watcher and lover of hockey, these Finals so far have been a joy to watch.

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16447696)
:lol Oh, Logan.

Crosby has been so good this series. Leading by example. All over the ice.

C'mon buddy, this doesn't look good on you. As the objective watcher without a horse in the race, I feel I've gotta check you here :hug. There could have been calls both ways. There always are.

But really, there's so much that's good going on with this series. How about how the Penns forwards absolutely smother the Sharks d-men in the Penns zone? How at least two guys are going down to block every shot? How Crosby is dishing pucks out of the corners like a guy on a checking line? How Patrick Hornqvist is like freaking Tomas Holmstrom out there? How Phil Kessel all of a sudden looks like Patrick Kane? NICK BONINO? How the Pens move through the neutral zone like a choreographed dance? The emergence of Ben Lovejoy as maybe the most steady, reliable defenseman on the team? RUST?

And I mean, that's just on the Penns side of things.

Some really great inspiring hockey right now. And yeah, while sometimes officiating calls are missed or whatever, it hasn't affected the quality of play at all IMO. As an objective watcher and lover of hockey, these Finals so far have been a joy to watch.

i just can't think of a must-call like high sticking and 6 men on the ice for 20 seconds like the Sharks had...its inexcusable to me.

and obviously the Pens overcame it so it's a moot point. and you know, i rarely complain about officiating because i know hoe hard their job is. but this is the SCF. this should be the best crew in the NHL and they're missing calls like that? terrible look for the League but what else is new?

fonzz41 06-02-2016 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16447708)
i just can't think of a must-call like high sticking and 6 men on the ice for 20 seconds like the Sharks had...its inexcusable to me.

and obviously the Pens overcame it so it's a moot point. and you know, i rarely complain about officiating because i know hoe hard their job is. but this is the SCF. this should be the best crew in the NHL and they're missing calls like that? terrible look for the League but what else is new?

:lol I just mentioned a dozen things to prompt conversation that the Penns are doing that's awesome and you still went with the missed calls. :lol I guess you feel pretty strongly about it. I still love you. Eternally.

TheLastPig 06-02-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16447390)

Missed High sticks on both sides which cancel eachother out. Dont remember anything else that was missed besides the too many men calls, interference call in the 3rd period against Rust I believe, oh and the whole Thornton ripping Crosby's helmet off and crosschecking him.

Sharks are frustrated beyond belief right now. Those comments from Couture :lol :lol Butthurt much?

bradshaw06 06-02-2016 07:56 AM

I saw a clip where thornton smacked sid in the head once or twice. Sid of years ago would have retailiated. Last night he skated away with a smile on his face. Didnt say a thing to refs or anything.

jrkarger 06-02-2016 07:57 AM

Anyone in here familiar with Frozen? I am (through my daughter). I noticed last night during the post game that Hornqvist looks and sounds like Wandering Oaken.

Hornqvist:

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/ph...24x576/cut.jpg

Wandering Oaken:

http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uplo...e5eefacd9.jpg?

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16447728)
:lol I just mentioned a dozen things to prompt conversation that the Penns are doing that's awesome and you still went with the missed calls. :lol I guess you feel pretty strongly about it. I still love you. Eternally.

i only have 1 thing to say about how the Pens are playing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI6OtfdXe3I

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16447729)
Missed High sticks on both sides which cancel eachother out. Dont remember anything else that was missed besides the too many men calls, interference call in the 3rd period against Rust I believe, oh and the whole Thornton ripping Crosby's helmet off and crosschecking him.

Sharks are frustrated beyond belief right now. Those comments from Couture :lol :lol Butthurt much?

yea...although saturday will be the first SCF game in San Jose's history so the crowd will be amped. i heard the price range for tickets was between $1500-$7500 for game 3

if the Sharks take game 3 it's a series again and buttholes will clench all around the greater pittsburgh area

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16447731)
I saw a clip where thornton smacked sid in the head once or twice. Sid of years ago would have retailiated. Last night he skated away with a smile on his face. Didnt say a thing to refs or anything.

:thumbsup leading by example...maybe if he gets hit in the head enough times the refs will finally make a call :lol

fonzz41 06-02-2016 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16447731)

Love this. The only knock I've ever had against Sidney Crosby is his reactions when he feels a call doesn't go his way. His all-in style of play has always been nothing short of inspiring. When I'm trying to show my kids how a model hockey player plays, he's the one I want them watching.

Unless it was between whistles. ;)

fonzz41 06-02-2016 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16447737)
i only have 1 thing to say about how the Pens are playing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI6OtfdXe3I

yea...although saturday will be the first SCF game in San Jose's history so the crowd will be amped. i heard the price range for tickets was between $1500-$7500 for game 3

if the Sharks take game 3 it's a series again and buttholes will clench all around the greater pittsburgh area

:lol :lol :thumbsup

Yeah. The Sharks have a great fanbase to begin with and their arena is always rocking. Saturday night should definitely be crazy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16447741)
:thumbsup leading by example...maybe if he gets hit in the head enough times the refs will finally make a call :lol

To be fair to Sid, I bet he gets whacked 2x more than the average player.

But again, to be fair, I think guys do it partly because they know they'll get a negative response out of him and get under his skin. Cool to see him getting past that.

Also, I couldn't believe it when Doc mentioned that Crosby is in his 11th season. Wow. I'm getting old.

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16447756)
:lol :lol :thumbsup

Yeah. The Sharks have a great fanbase to begin with and their arena is always rocking. Saturday night should definitely be crazy.

To be fair to Sid, I bet he gets whacked 2x more than the average player.

But again, to be fair, I think guys do it partly because they know they'll get a negative response out of him and get under his skin. Cool to see him getting past that.

Also, I couldn't believe it when Doc mentioned that Crosby is in his 11th season. Wow. I'm getting old.

ugh yea the Shark Tank will be pulsating...would be HUGE if the Pens can score first and quell the noise a bit

and to the bolded: that seriously hasn't happened in years....lots of years...Malkin and Letang have been the volatile players in the last 5-6 seasons...Sid hasn't really done that much since winning the Cup

barbogast 06-02-2016 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16447756)

So is Ovie. Thank goodness we've got all those Presidents Trophys to show for it

barbogast 06-02-2016 08:14 AM

The worst part about the Crosby suck fest that happens in here daily now is that it's fully deserved. I finally watched a little bit of highlight and recap stuff this morning, and it really seems like the guy is just flying right now. My only hope is this is frustrating Ovechkin, MacLellan and co. as much as it's frustrating me.

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 08:15 AM

Crosby has been amazing in the series so far...another level

fonzz41 06-02-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16447769)
and to the bolded: that seriously hasn't happened in years....lots of years...Malkin and Letang have been the volatile players in the last 5-6 seasons...Sid hasn't really done that much since winning the Cup

I think he's definitely gotten better, but I still see a bit that makes me go, "c'mon Sid, quiet down." Of course, I see that from guys like Toews once in a while too. Like I was saying, Sid's overall play drastically makes up for it. If my kids approach the game the way Crosby does, I'll be a proud guy.

And yes, totally agree that Letang is the most volatile.

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16447790)
If my kids approach the game the way Crosby does, I'll be a proud guy.

but according to Logan Couture he cheats :rolleyes

fonzz41 06-02-2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16447796)
but according to Logan Couture he cheats :rolleyes

The sad thing is, I love the way Couture plays the game as well. That sucka is gritty as hell.

I guess the overall theme of my comments this morning are, "just shut up and play."

Dramageek 06-02-2016 08:26 AM

Crosby's just in God-mode right now. He's dictating play and having a blast doing it. Drawing up the faceoff play then executing to perfection was a thing of beauty. He may not have great heaping gobs of points (though he still has a good amount), but he's been playing out of his mind pretty much all playoffs.

TheLastPig 06-02-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16447807)
Crosby's just in God-mode right now. He's dictating play and having a blast doing it. Drawing up the faceoff play then executing to perfection was a thing of beauty. He may not have great heaping gobs of points (though he still has a good amount), but he's been playing out of his mind pretty much all playoffs.

Not sure if he or Kessel is in the lead for the Conn Smythe.

But hey, lets just win the cup before we worry about that.

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16447809)
Not sure if he or Kessel is in the lead for the Conn Smythe.

But hey, lets just win the cup before we worry about that.

leading candidates right now (assuming their team wins):

1. Kessel
2. Pavelski
3. Crosby
4. Murray
5. Thornton

TheLastPig 06-02-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16447815)

1. Kessel
2. Pavelski
3. Crosby
4. Murray
5. Thornton

I would list Burns above Thornton

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16447819)
I would list Burns above Thornton

yea that's fair

kev87lads 06-02-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16447815)

1. Kessel
2. Pavelski
3. Crosby
4. Murray
5. Thornton

6. Gostisbehere

hailtopitt 06-02-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16447831)
6. Gostisbehere

http://www.phillyphaithful.com/asset...tight-500x.jpg

Roose13 06-02-2016 08:40 AM

Best shirt ever