Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dave should take notes from Garth Brooks (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=344592)

uticans 03-20-2017 09:53 AM

Dave should take notes from Garth Brooks

I don't consider myself a country fan, never really listened to Garth Brooks before except for when my wife plays his music. She wanted to go to his concert, so I got tickets.

A. Blown away by the guys performance
B. So much energy, songs were enhanced 100%
C. He started walking around reading signs from the crowd and played whatever he saw. Rare songs, whatever people wanted.

Fans went ballistic. He connected with everyone and made them feel like they got what they paid for or paid for what they got...

I thought Dave would never do this, but if he did, it would set the fans into a frenzy... And why not do it, why not? Is he just sticking to character for no other reason, but to say he isn't going to change?

stlbluespower 03-20-2017 10:01 AM

Re: Dave should take notes from Garth Brooks

maybe Dave is taking notes and this is just the first year of his planned 13-year break from full-time touring. Then, when he plays your show in 2030, he will be bounding up and down like a little kid and play all your requests.

BTBaboon 03-20-2017 10:01 AM

He doesn't need to be Garth. Afterall, no tour this year is setting up 2018 for DMB to skyrocket!

K270 03-20-2017 10:16 AM

Personally, I'd rather not have 15,000 people holding signs for Cornbread, Spaceman, Dreamgirl etc..... I don't mind if Dave sees a sign and plays the song on it, but if word got out this how Dave chooses his setlist, almost every fan would be bringing in signs. I'd rather not have my view blocked by them.

WidespreadMule3 03-20-2017 11:36 AM

If Dave took live show notes from anyone it should be Phish or Pearl Jam.

There...I said it.

msalter 03-20-2017 11:42 AM

Garth Brooks was my first live show in 1992. Loved it.

FeelingGood 03-20-2017 12:01 PM

All the above, plus it's not in him to do it. He does have every ability to write setlists like LT3...I would rather he be more like his former self than Garth Brooks.

ToySoldier#34 03-20-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uticans (Post 16746408)
C. He started walking around reading signs from the crowd and played whatever he saw. Rare songs, whatever people wanted.

Fans went ballistic. He connected with everyone and made them feel like they got what they paid for or paid for what they got...

I thought Dave would never do this, but if he did, it would set the fans into a frenzy... And why not do it, why not? Is he just sticking to character for no other reason, but to say he isn't going to change?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RskByKNJNf0

TimHonks 03-20-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 (Post 16746578)
If Dave took live show notes from anyone it should be Phish or Pearl Jam.

There...I said it.

Bruce and Pearl Jam are the only real comparisons that do it better than DMB, you can't really compare them to Phish IMO because DMB is not a jam band.

For this topic, I'd much rather see DMB year after year in their current state over seeing them take a 10+ year break and bring out some rare songs.

RMinor205 03-20-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 16746608)

I can confirm this happened as I was about two rows behind the lady with the sign. Good stuff.

WidespreadMule3 03-20-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimHonks (Post 16746611)
Bruce and Pearl Jam are the only real comparisons that do it better than DMB, you can't really compare them to Phish IMO because DMB is not a jam band.

For this topic, I'd much rather see DMB year after year in their current state over seeing them take a 10+ year break and bring out some rare songs.

As for Phish, I meant, song placement spontaneity. Phish has very few slotted songs and even those may pop up elsewhere.

DMB1983 03-20-2017 01:30 PM

The very thing we love about Dave Matthews is his laid back approach right? I really don't want to see him go out like Bruce Springsteen or Garth Brooks and be a rock star. He's not. (He is obviously, but doesn't act like it). He's a guy that enjoys playing music with his friends, cares quite a bit that it's quality, but only cares so much that he and his friends like it, and just wants to play for fun. Without the lights and screens, there would really be no show outside of the music. It's why I like the band and why I've always liked them. I would love to see more variety in the sets, but I don't want to see Dave become an entertainer.

I get Garth is having fun too. But he has this whole persona thing and can get up and ENTERTAIN. He's an entertainer first and foremost.

Dave is a musician first and foremost. He does entertain, but he's not doing a song and dance routine to make you clap. Jeff Coffin said playing in DMB is like playing for the best bar band in the world. That's what they are. A fucking great bar band that got popular.

crashintonickdm 03-20-2017 01:38 PM

Dave just does what he wants

Whether we like it or not is up to us. Ticket sales tell us daves ideas aren't as smart. But I mean it is what it is

SeekUpTheCubs 03-20-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 (Post 16746686)
As for Phish, I meant, song placement spontaneity. Phish has very few slotted songs and even those may pop up elsewhere.

I agree with this. With the exception of their encore it's pretty damn unpredictable.

Also I would kill for DMB to jam like they do (I know that's unrelated to everything, but as long as we're talking about what we would like them to do)

Utopia 03-20-2017 02:40 PM

When Dave/the band plays 32-38 songs a night, I'm sure they'd cover die hard favorites and fan favorites. Never gonna happen though

TimHonks 03-20-2017 02:46 PM

I know nothing about Garth Brooks so just checked out his set lists and he plays basically the same songs every night and I guess he throws in a few requests? Sounds like he plays shows like U2.

I, for one, am thrilled that DMB does not do this.

chadizzy1 03-20-2017 03:41 PM

Cornbread>
Callin Baton Rouge

Chalmers4three 03-20-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uticans (Post 16746408)
I don't consider myself a country fan, never really listened to Garth Brooks before except for when my wife plays his music. She wanted to go to his concert, so I got tickets.

i love garth!! been a garth fan since forever but i don't think Dave could do it.....just don't think he is the same type of entertainer. also remember that the request thing garth does is fairly new and very staged....and he doesn't do it every show. what he does do every show is play the same songs, which even for a garth fan get old hearing live every single time. hell he even plays them in pretty much the same order, with the same gimmicks. garth is a brand and like others have said he is truly an entertainer. i do love me some garth but seeing multiple times live......i'd take DMB any day of the week.

laverwater 03-20-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeekUpTheCubs (Post 16746699)
I agree with this. With the exception of their encore it's pretty damn unpredictable.

Also I would kill for DMB to jam like they do (I know that's unrelated to everything, but as long as we're talking about what we would like them to do)

I've always thought it would be awesome to have Recently get played then get the Recently groove teased later in the show, as kind of a segue/bridge between other songs.

coldengrey12 03-20-2017 05:03 PM

Yeah, Dave needs to fly in on wires like Garth used to do. :lol