Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ants Podcast 88: The Night Before, Indeed! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=346421)

Matt 02-08-2018 06:12 PM

Ants Podcast 88: The Night Before, Indeed!

Matt and Joe mix it up over "The Night Before" performance, and just how ominous that designation was. Joe went to the show (of course he did), so we have first-hand intel on how the band sounded, and what the reception to the Boyd-less Dave Matthews Band was. We try our hand at broadcasting this one on Facebook Live, but don't worry Periscopers, we haven't forgotten about you. We take your questions as we head into this anxiety-inducing break before the summer tour.

Discuss here!

daveindyman 02-08-2018 06:22 PM

Re: Ants Podcast 88: The Night Before, Indeed!

Hey guys.... really like the Facebook Live and seeing both of you on screen. Made for a better dynamic for those of us watching the podcast as it happened. Just a point of clarification I wanted you guys to chime in on last night. I wanted to get your opinions on the slower tempo/pace of the songs performed at the Night Before show.... not the setlist/song selection themselves. I thought that was quite noticeable as I was watching it from home & was kinda reminiscent of the late 90's shows where things were slower. Think that is a one-off thing because of the Boyd absence or a sign of things to come this upcoming tour?

daveshookme 02-08-2018 07:28 PM

I've been listening to the tape and I think Joe was spot on. The songs that are noticeably missing Boyd don't sound bad, for the most part. There's a few places here and there that need to be figured out, and I'm sure there's loads (Billies) that haven't been attempted and may be more difficult to do. But if this was your first DMB experience, you wouldn't know the difference. We've just been trained to hear Boyd in parts and notice when he's not there.

So_bareandempty 02-09-2018 06:39 AM

I understood the question, about the overall tempo of the songs, and I noticed that it was slower. Especially towards the end of 2016, some songs were getting played with quite a fast tempo. I liked the change.

I know this was discussed on the previous podcast, but what is the deal with the premium tickets on Ticketmaster?? I rarely go and see any other bands live, so I hadn’t seen this before. If no one buys these tickets, will they be dumped on Ticketmaster at a later date for normal price? I remember in Charlotte in 2015, the venue (PNC) was trying to sell “Premium/VIP Lawn” (it might have been a Livenation thing, I can’t remember), which was them trying to charge more to people with lawn tickets for them to get to stand in a little roped off section dead center, front of lawn. It was ridiculous, no one went for it, and it was right before the concert that the staff took the ropes down and everyone from the lawn moved forward and filled in the gap.

Matt- do you guys announce when you’re going to be doing a Periscope or Facebook Live? And on what Facebook page are you going live from? I have watched in the past, and I would definitely tune in, if I knew the podcasts were happening. Thank you for continuing to do them!

daveshookme 02-09-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by So_bareandempty (Post 17012456)
I understood the question, about the overall tempo of the songs, and I noticed that it was slower. Especially towards the end of 2016, some songs were getting played with quite a fast tempo. I liked the change.

I know this was discussed on the previous podcast, but what is the deal with the premium tickets on Ticketmaster?? I rarely go and see any other bands live, so I hadn’t seen this before. If no one buys these tickets, will they be dumped on Ticketmaster at a later date for normal price? I remember in Charlotte in 2015, the venue (PNC) was trying to sell “Premium/VIP Lawn” (it might have been a Livenation thing, I can’t remember), which was them trying to charge more to people with lawn tickets for them to get to stand in a little roped off section dead center, front of lawn. It was ridiculous, no one went for it, and it was right before the concert that the staff took the ropes down and everyone from the lawn moved forward and filled in the gap.

Matt- do you guys announce when you’re going to be doing a Periscope or Facebook Live? And on what Facebook page are you going live from? I have watched in the past, and I would definitely tune in, if I knew the podcasts were happening. Thank you for continuing to do them!

That's how those premium lawns worked. You were allowed access to a roped off/fenced in section of the lawn, and after the opener those ropes came down. It's not that they sold "those seats" for the regular price. :shrug

IndyDMB 02-09-2018 08:26 AM

I used to be able to listen to the podcast by clicking the source button on the front page, but now it says "file not found". Any recommendations for a non-apple user??

Matt 02-09-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyDMB (Post 17012643)
I used to be able to listen to the podcast by clicking the source button on the front page, but now it says "file not found". Any recommendations for a non-apple user??

Sorry about that - fixed it for you!

Also, check out Stitcher. I know that to be a decent podcast app for Android phones.

IndyDMB 02-09-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 17012677)
Sorry about that - fixed it for you!

Also, check out Stitcher. I know that to be a decent podcast app for Android phones.

Thank you sir.

IndyDMB 02-09-2018 03:13 PM

The kiss.:lol:lol

bhobbster 02-09-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 17012481)
That's how those premium lawns worked. You were allowed access to a roped off/fenced in section of the lawn, and after the opener those ropes came down. It's not that they sold "those seats" for the regular price. :shrug

If you're someone with extra cash who wants to show up right before showtime and get a great lawn seat, it could make sense.

For the Venue, if you only sell 100 of those tickets for the premium price, you still made more money than selling the entire lawn for a flat fee.

chadizzy1 02-09-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyDMB (Post 17013120)
The kiss.:lol:lol

For anyone who missed it

https://i.imgur.com/11bWuyk.gif

imnothingman 02-10-2018 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 17013175)
For anyone who missed it

LOL! That facial expression right afterwards, classic Dave!

Which show did this occur?

GoingToCA91 02-10-2018 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnothingman (Post 17013359)
LOL! That facial expression right afterwards, classic Dave!

Which show did this occur?

C'ville DMB25 show, I believe

MarchingNancies 02-10-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 17013175)
For anyone who missed it

That is hilarious!

jaboyd 02-10-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Yeah I don’t think the question during the podcast was suggesting the songs were low key in general, I think the question was about the slower tempo of certain songs. Not sure Joe understood that. It jumped out at me while watching it live via periscope. I’ve been sick of the band turning up the tempo of certain songs like grey street in recent years. Seems like they’ve been doing it with a bunch of songs. I noticed during the show that the band played many of those songs at a tempo similar to the studio album tempo. If I recall, I think Rapunzel and Grey Street were a couple that they played a little slower than they have been in recent years. It was very refreshing to me.

Marypatty 02-15-2018 06:07 AM

I listened to your podcast before listening to the actual show. There was a comment about it being slow show. I think, your listener, as do I, think that the tempo of some of the songs were off. Time Bomb in particular, and even Samurai Cop? Have another listen..I'm going to as well. I'm only up to Time Bomb, and definitely feel like it's way slower than usual.

Crash1983 02-15-2018 06:46 AM

I was at the show and everything seemed like it was slowed down. A lot of people on the floor thought the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marypatty (Post 17017532)
I listened to your podcast before listening to the actual show. There was a comment about it being slow show. I think, your listener, as do I, think that the tempo of some of the songs were off. Time Bomb in particular, and even Samurai Cop? Have another listen..I'm going to as well. I'm only up to Time Bomb, and definitely feel like it's way slower than usual.

Cscottrun 02-15-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marypatty (Post 17017532)

Yes, that's exactly what the comment was about. I was a bit surprised they didn't pick that up. A bunch of people were also commenting in the facebook feed about how they were interpreting the questions wrong. IMO they 100% slowed down the songs. That's the only positive that came from the night for me. EVERYTHING over the past few years was played too fast.

LaLaLaLaHey 04-01-2018 12:52 PM

I'm going to be completely honest - I disagree with the fact that the encore could've been a plethora of things other than Ants Marching...

Typical encore songs if they aren't played during the regular set:

Warehouse - Ultra Boyd heavy, I would probably hate that just as much as Ants if they attempted that

Two Step - Again, can't do without the Boyd plucking... it's just kind of got to be there

Halloween - Again, super Boyd heavy with the violin's intro riff

Pig - again, Boyd...

Only two I can think of off of the top of my head are Stay and AATW

Even Rapunzel & Pantala Naga Pampa were weird without violin, and they were the set closer

And as far as Carter, he didn't play perfectly... he dialed everything down, and it was almost at the point where it sounded like a cover band drummer was trying to fill his spot. Just take a look at the Grey Street intro - he didn't play it the way he has for years.

eggsrsweet 05-04-2018 07:53 AM

New pod soon?

RiotAct 05-04-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggsrsweet (Post 17088161)
New pod soon?

might I suggest as a title for the next podcast:

The Morning After

ragmantwo 05-10-2018 03:37 PM

New Podcast soon? Please?

greenpick41 05-10-2018 04:54 PM

Podcast is live on Facebook right now, not sure where it was announced though.