Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Americans (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=321277)

gocubsgo3822 01-30-2013 08:22 PM

The Americans

This needs its own thread. Amazing pilot so far. Mind blown. FX makes some great fucking tv. The Phil Collins scene was amazing

smokew11 01-30-2013 08:23 PM

Re: The Americans

I thought they threw the spy stuff in our face a little too much (the Star Spangled Banner w/the astronaut was a little sappy), but that was a great pilot. Lot of potential layers in this show

Dramageek 01-30-2013 08:26 PM

Good stuff so far. I agree the astronaut at the school was a little thick. But I can see this getting very fun down the road. And holy shit Keri Russell!

gocubsgo3822 01-30-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokew11 (Post 14337443)
I thought they threw the spy stuff in our face a little too much (the Star Spangled Banner w/the astronaut was a little sappy), but that was a great pilot. Lot of potential layers in this show

I hope you did not stop at 11.

I liked the star spangled banner part. SHows the emotional layer Phillip has.

smokew11 01-30-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 (Post 14337452)
I hope you did not stop at 11.

I liked the star spangled banner part. SHows the emotional layer Phillip has.

:lol dick

yeah that was pretty damn good. Fx has balls too, so this show could last despite middling ratings (which we all know it will get)

I was Last Resort was on Fx, it wouldve gone 5 seasons

Rodey 01-30-2013 08:40 PM

Got this on the DVR, will watch tomorrow.

Glad to hear it's pretty good.

gocubsgo3822 01-30-2013 08:42 PM

Sepinwalls review was very very positive comparing it to some of the best work that FX has done..

Going to go read the grantland review now.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...r-back-to-life (Sepinwall)

Grantland's Andy Greenwald http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...show-americans

smokew11 01-30-2013 08:42 PM

Kerri Russel in her best role ever

I've been in love with her since Honey I Blew up the Kid

smokew11 01-30-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 (Post 14337484)
Sepinwalls review was very very positive comparing it to some of the best work that FX has done..

Going to go read the grantland review now.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...r-back-to-life (Sepinwall)

Grantland's Andy Greenwald http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...show-americans

i love Grantland but Greenwald rubs me the wrong way for some reason, like a hipster critic. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, but I'm always a little mad after reading his reviews.

gocubsgo3822 01-30-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokew11 (Post 14337488)
i love Grantland but Greenwald rubs me the wrong way for some reason, like a hipster critic. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, but I'm always a little mad after reading his reviews.

I thought he did a good enough job with Breaking Bad. That is the only thing i really read him for since that is pretty much the only drama i currently watch on TV.

But i thought he was fair with breking bad. So i will read him ont his as well.

snow1868 01-30-2013 08:50 PM

Worth an on-demand watch?

gocubsgo3822 01-30-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snow1868 (Post 14337495)
Worth an on-demand watch?

Can not stress it enough. One of the better pilots I have seen. Combines time period shit, with compelling characters, sex, violence, espionage.

All around first tier show!

Dramageek 01-30-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 (Post 14337502)
Can not stress it enough. One of the better pilots I have seen. Combines time period shit, with compelling characters, sex, violence, espionage.

I second this. :thumbsup

DIDriveOut2SPAC 01-30-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 (Post 14337438)
This needs its own thread. Amazing pilot so far. Mind blown. FX makes some great fucking tv. The Phil Collins scene was amazing

suprized you know who phil collins is.

#breadz

gocubsgo3822 01-30-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC (Post 14337536)
suprized you know who phil collins is.

#breadz

:lol :lol :lol

Seriously though if you dont know that song you are a miserable human being

snow1868 01-30-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 (Post 14337502)

Thanks, I'll give it a go later in the week.

water_into_wine 01-31-2013 07:04 AM

Quck comment in regards to Greenwald and really Grantland in general.

Love the topics they talk about, but they are really bad writers/reviewers. Always trying to be too funny and clever and they really aren't that good at it. THey're also not terribly intelligent even though they think they are. It's just gotten worse over time as everyone tries to be the next Bill Simmons (whom I actually like most of the time). Mostly skim their reviews now.

UNC41 01-31-2013 07:07 AM

The pilot was great. As was Sepinwall's review. Greenwald's review made me cringe.

Ascf33 01-31-2013 07:12 AM

I liked it. I'll give it a go.

smokew11 01-31-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by water_into_wine (Post 14337947)
Quck comment in regards to Greenwald and really Grantland in general.

Love the topics they talk about, but they are really bad writers/reviewers. Always trying to be too funny and clever and they really aren't that good at it. THey're also not terribly intelligent even though they think they are. It's just gotten worse over time as everyone tries to be the next Bill Simmons (whom I actually like most of the time). Mostly skim their reviews now.

thats my problem with Greenwald as well...its the hipster intellect...referencing thigns that are obscure to make you appear smarter. I love Klosterman though, i think hes the best writer on the site. Ive been a fan of him for years

Rodey 01-31-2013 11:17 AM

Bill Simmons is a blowhard.

dre2142 01-31-2013 11:18 AM

Cant wait to watch this tonight

water_into_wine 01-31-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokew11 (Post 14338512)
thats my problem with Greenwald as well...its the hipster intellect...referencing thigns that are obscure to make you appear smarter. I love Klosterman though, i think hes the best writer on the site. Ive been a fan of him for years

Ehhh, I wouldn't define it as hipster. Just more smug than anything. Almost a meta-hipster where he almost writes "I'm cooler than hipsters". It's weird to define. He just doesn't focus on the review or actual quality of the show so much as how many things he can think of that remind him of the show.

I read reviews that would be classified as a lot more "hipster" (i.e. Av Club) and they rarely have any problems in their reviews. They become more pretentious in their more general pieces (though once again I find those subjects very interesting), but for their episode reviews they mostly focus on the quality.

Slate's another one where they just try to come up with far-out-there takes on a review just to be interesting, but that's pretty much how their whole publication operates and they're pretty self-aware of it.

smokew11 01-31-2013 01:40 PM

yeah i guess i agree. its just hard to read Greenwald cuz you cant get through 2 sentences without an insanely obscure reference, and link to boot

MOWJO8185 01-31-2013 02:45 PM

This pilot was awesome.

Dramageek 01-31-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by water_into_wine (Post 14338533)
Ehhh, I wouldn't define it as hipster. Just more smug than anything. Almost a meta-hipster where he almost writes "I'm cooler than hipsters". It's weird to define. He just doesn't focus on the review or actual quality of the show so much as how many things he can think of that remind him of the show.

I read reviews that would be classified as a lot more "hipster" (i.e. Av Club) and they rarely have any problems in their reviews. They become more pretentious in their more general pieces (though once again I find those subjects very interesting), but for their episode reviews they mostly focus on the quality.

Slate's another one where they just try to come up with far-out-there takes on a review just to be interesting, but that's pretty much how their whole publication operates and they're pretty self-aware of it.

These are good points. He says it's a great show, but instead of saying why, he tries to fit it in the pantheon of other long-form television dramas. He doesn't talk much about the actual merits of the show save Keri Russell's performance, which is likely to win awards.

Maybe we should make a thread for reviews of Andy Greenwald reviews.:lol

Rodey 01-31-2013 02:53 PM

Keri Russell giving a beej is probably a good way to start off a series.

smokew11 01-31-2013 02:57 PM

just make sure you know where her hands are

Arby 01-31-2013 04:46 PM

Shows I like:
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire

Shows that are good but not good:
Walking Dead
American Horror Story