Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

hailtopitt 03-07-2018 09:56 PM

The NHL Thread (Golden Knights are alright)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17035912)
Went as expected. Losing streak goes to 5 tomorrow. Then we see what they’re made of.

Honestly just looking at standings, I was convinced that the only reason the Flyers were as high up as they are was because of the loser point. And it’s definitely a factor but tonight’s game was a bit closer than the score.

Flyers’ top 2 lines can really generate offense and they’re quite creative. Just not super consistent. It honestly might be better for the flyers to be a wild card and cross over to the Atlantic.

I think the pens and caps would eliminate the flyers in round 1 if it played out like that, but they could matchup nicely with Tampa or Boston. Might be their best chance to advance.

Flyers don’t have a Stanley Cup caliber blue line though. (And neither do the penguins IMO, especially if someone gets injured)

Brohan_Santana 03-08-2018 01:32 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (Golden Knights are alright)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 17035926)
Honestly just looking at standings, I was convinced that the only reason the Flyers were as high up as they are was because of the loser point. And it’s definitely a factor but tonight’s game was a bit closer than the score.

Flyers’ top 2 lines can really generate offense and they’re quite creative. Just not super consistent. It honestly might be better for the flyers to be a wild card and cross over to the Atlantic.

I think the pens and caps would eliminate the flyers in round 1 if it played out like that, but they could matchup nicely with Tampa or Boston. Might be their best chance to advance.

Flyers don’t have a Stanley Cup caliber blue line though. (And neither do the penguins IMO, especially if someone gets injured)

Caps don't have a good blue line either, especially seeing as they've given up the most high % shots of any team in the last 10+ years. So your take of the Flyers doing better against the Atlantic isn't good

Penguins have lived on the PP, when they don't get the calls in the playoffs can they hang? When does Letang get hurt?

I still think the ECF's goes through the Bolts and I don't think its close

Roose13 03-08-2018 05:01 AM

Last night again proves how hard it is to play in the Metro.

aeroshady 03-08-2018 06:21 AM

Getting pretty close to that time for me to pick a team to follow throughout the playoffs (and "root" for).

TheLastPig 03-08-2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17035938)
Caps don't have a good blue line either, especially seeing as they've given up the most high % shots of any team in the last 10+ years. So your take of the Flyers doing better against the Atlantic isn't good

Penguins have lived on the PP, when they don't get the calls in the playoffs can they hang? When does Letang get hurt?

I still think the ECF's goes through the Bolts and I don't think its close

:lol :lol

I dunno Brohan, who won the last two cups?

TheLastPig 03-08-2018 06:36 AM

We all know 99's stats but I heard another this morning that just blew me away.

Fastest ever to 1100 points- did it in 464 games. Almost 2.4 PPG in his first 464 games as a pro :lol

jrkarger 03-08-2018 06:42 AM

Letang getting hurt :lol

See playoffs, 2017.

Brohan_Santana 03-08-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 17036062)
:lol :lol

I dunno Brohan, who won the last two cups?

Those teams didn't rely on PP scoring as much as this years team...

jrkarger 03-08-2018 06:45 AM

I guess we’ll see. But at least to me the pens seem deeper on O this year than last.

TheLastPig 03-08-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 17036079)
I guess we’ll see. But at least to me the pens seem deeper on O this year than last.

Yeah thats more of a fact than "seem"

71 and 81 are just on a torrid pace this season. I dont think they rely on the PP as much as they just score all the time when they get on it so it makes it seem that way.

kev87lads 03-08-2018 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 17035926)

Agreed. Loser point has helped them stay in it and to a certain extent climb. But the Flyers are nowhere near as good as Wash, Pitt or Columbus for that matter.

Pens and Caps would definitely eliminate the Flyers. As would the Bruins and Lightning. They could stay with Toronto I think for 6/7.

Top 3/4 D are pretty good most nights and can hang. 5-7 are horrendous.

~Crashintome89~ 03-08-2018 07:18 AM

Sometimes the Flyers should just shoot the puck, instead of going for the extra pass. Going for the extra pass when you're up is fine. But when you're down, and you need the goals. Just put it on net. Seriously, the Pens fourth goal only happened because a shot was deflected right on the stick of Sheary. (I think it was him)

Dramageek 03-08-2018 07:46 AM

Agreed with the above about the Flyers’ blue line. Despite their offensive talent, the blue line will hold them back in the playoffs. And their goaltender situation is unfortunate.

I actually agree with Brohan about the Eastern Conference going through the Bolts. They have been a little more hot and cold since January, but they are totally stacked, and could certainly dethrone the Pennnns. If the Bruins can stay healthy, the Bolts and Bruins would be a fun series.

jrkarger 03-08-2018 08:05 AM

I had to look up the stats but it appears there’s truth to what Brohan said about the PP.

The pens are 8th in the league in terms of even strength goals. They were 1st last year. They’re currently 1st I’m terms of PP% while they were second last year.

With that said though, this year’s even strength numbers are probably being dragged down by the first half of the year when they were indeed terrible at even strength.

I think they are much better currently than they have been before the first of the year.

barbogast 03-08-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17036028)
Getting pretty close to that time for me to pick a team to follow throughout the playoffs (and "root" for).

Come join us in Caps land! We’ve got excellent potential this time

Roose13 03-08-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17036265)
Come join us in Caps land! We’ve got excellent potential this time

As my HS football coach once said, "potential is a fancy French word for 'ain't done shit yet.'" :lol:lol

TMoore4075 03-08-2018 08:52 AM

Damn it Flyers. 2 more Mrazek wins is all I need for that 3rd rounder.

Tonight I am torn. I would like for the Knights to fall in the standings to help out that 1st rounder from them but Wings need more loses to get the better shot at #1.

fonzz41 03-08-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17035436)
Agreed that MacKinnon and Rantanen now playing at a whole different level and it is fun to watch you also have some up and coming players who can be impactful so the future is bright - though I do wish Varly controlled rebounds better, IMO he is more of a shot blocker than a saver but regardless he is getting it done. I do hope they make the playoffs where anything can happen - I mean seriously, did anyone expect the Preds to make the final after knocking off 3 good teams last season? What I really admire about them is that to the best of my knowledge they do not have any jerks (on or off the ice) or dirty players on that team unlike other teams including the Hawks who had that dirty goon Hayden for half the season.

Great game, lot of fun to watch and I hope the Avs go on a tear and end up with a WC slot. I do not see many CO games (mainly because they generally play at the same time as the Hawks) but that will chance and if they are playing at the same time as Chicago I will just use my NHL package to watch them the following day because they look slick. Good luck going FWD Matty, I wish your Avs nothing but success - unless they are playing the Hawks! :lol

Thank you, Jamie.

I agree that the Avs roster, for the most part, has pretty upstanding guys. Zadorov is the meanest, but he's kinda unassuming in he does it. Whenever he lays a guy out, it almost looks like he had no idea what he just did :lol. I would like to see him play with a bit more of a mean streak though, as the "niceness" of the Avs sometimes leads to them getting pushed around. There was an Edmonton game earlier this year where Milan Lucic just ran around the ice all night, nailing everybody in sight. The Avs had no answer for him, and I think two guys left with injuries. I was flabbergasted at the lack of physical response to his game (and no, I'm not talking about fighting or knocking him out of the game; I'm just talking about, y'know, some sort of physical response).

I do agree that anything can happen in the playoffs, but the Avs just aren't built for it... yet. I think they still have to grow a bit before they become REALLY dangerous. But they are well on their way! Looking back and seeing what Sakic has quietly built is really amazing.

TheLastPig 03-08-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 17036240)
I had to look up the stats but it appears there’s truth to what Brohan said about the PP.

The pens are 8th in the league in terms of even strength goals. They were 1st last year. They’re currently 1st I’m terms of PP% while they were second last year.

With that said though, this year’s even strength numbers are probably being dragged down by the first half of the year when they were indeed terrible at even strength.

I think they are much better currently than they have been before the first of the year.

100% the bolded.

TheLastPig 03-08-2018 09:58 AM

Was the NBC team trying to equate every single thing to football during that first period as painful to anyone else as it was to me? Good lord that was insufferable.

barbogast 03-08-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17036302)
As my HS football coach once said, "potential is a fancy French word for 'ain't done shit yet.'" :lol:lol

https://giphy.com/gifs/nhl-hockey-l0Iy14knH1nNCACxa

fonzz41 03-08-2018 11:12 AM

Barbs isn't that you on the far right?

Roose13 03-08-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17036514)

That is the most unintimidating group of white people in history.

dmbetc 03-08-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17036575)

I like the guy on the left, holding up a #1 for a second then realizing "oh wait, that's never us"

Dramageek 03-08-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17036575)

The original Stanley Cup champions look pretty fierce:

http://hockeygods.com/images/13545-M...Champions_1893

Brohan_Santana 03-08-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 17036117)
Yeah thats more of a fact than "seem"

71 and 81 are just on a torrid pace this season. I dont think they rely on the PP as much as they just score all the time when they get on it so it makes it seem that way.

You can just straight up look at % of their stats coming off the PP vs even strength...

I'm pretty sure Pens fans were straight bitching a week or 2 ago about lack of production on even strength

pathetic 03-08-2018 06:42 PM

Marchand!!!

No Bergeron, no mcavoy, no problem

rickyh24 03-08-2018 07:47 PM

Flyers lol

kev87lads 03-08-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17035912)
Went as expected. Losing streak goes to 5 tomorrow. Then we see what they’re made of.

Nailed it.

daveshookme 03-08-2018 10:25 PM

Any Pittsburgh area fans going to be around for the 3/21 game vs MTL? My sis and I just bought tix yesterday, wouldn’t mind grabbing a drink with anybody local.