Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 04-27-2017 01:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

Hey guys is there a hockey game tonight or something?

Brohan_Santana 04-27-2017 01:12 PM

Who do the Caps play tonight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aeroshady 04-27-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16776939)
Hey guys is there a hockey game tonight or something?

Yup. The NY Rangers are playing the Ottawa Senators.

TheLastPig 04-27-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16776940)
Who do the Caps play tonight?

I think its the florida timber rattlers.

salrx95 04-27-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16776922)
How many years are left on JT's deal?

one year left so obviously neither side wants to go into next season without a long term deal in place.

I doubt he is going anywhere and 95% sure he stays. He has always said he wants to and has been the consummate professional in sometimes trying times with the rebuild. We had a setback this year but future still bright and believe he wants to see it through.

Brohan_Santana 04-27-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16776946)
I think its the florida timber rattlers.

Are they any good?

aeroshady 04-27-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16776947)
one year left so obviously neither side wants to go into next season without a long term deal in place.

I doubt he is going anywhere and 95% sure he stays. He has always said he wants to and has been the consummate professional in sometimes trying times with the rebuild. We had a setback this year but future still bright and believe he wants to see it through.

The Islanders just need to find a place to play hockey. That has to be a distraction for the entire organization.

It would be nice if we could do this NY v NY rivalry thing proper at some point ;)

fonzz41 04-27-2017 01:16 PM

Special report from the fonzz41 household:

My 4 y/o is so obsessed with D2 (and doesn't like D1... itiot) and watches it so often, that to break it up I finally went out and got D3. I know, I'm terrible.

BUT... I rented it from the library. I'm not spending money on that garbage.

Seriously though, if I have to watch D2 one more time I'm going to break down and just let the kid watch Goon or Slapshot.

aeroshady 04-27-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16776953)

My 4 y/o is so obsessed with D2 (and doesn't like D1... itiot) and watches it so often, that to break it up I finally went out and got D3. I know, I'm terrible.

Seriously though, if I have to watch D2 one more time I'm going to break down and just let the kid watch Goon or Slapshot.

If it were not for D2, I would never have learned what the difference between Iceland and Greenland was!

lockman21 04-27-2017 01:18 PM

Yeah, but how sick is that goal celebration by Trinidad & Tobago?

salrx95 04-27-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16776952)
The Islanders just need to find a place to play hockey. That has to be a distraction for the entire organization.

It would be nice if we could do this NY v NY rivalry thing proper at some point ;)

It's not a distraction for me. It might be maybe if I lived in Queens still and went to games often. I doubt it much of a concern for the players, either.

The rivalries will be never likely be as big and strong as they once were. It's such a different game than the 80's and 90's let alone even the early 2000's. I even have felt my own intensity watching Ranger games be less this year. Pretty sure my wife never once this year told me to keep it quiet or I'll wake the kids :D (insert joke about how bad team was and how there was nothing to be excited about)

fonzz41 04-27-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16776955)

Oh man, true. The hip action, and the excitement of their coach... inspiring.

And of course, the absolutely invaluable way we learned how to use a hockey stick to confirm if a wrist was broken.

barbogast 04-27-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

I don't dislike D1 certainly but D2 is clearly better. Sounds like a smart kid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16776955)

The sickest

TMoore4075 04-27-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16776914)

I would be shocked if JT leaves the Islanders. That said, Toronto has to look pretty appealing right now.

I wouldn't do that if I was TO because look at where you are now, do you really want to tie up $10mil to a guy when you are gonna have all these guys needing new deals in 2-3 years? I see why it would be tempting but you just played a tough series against the team with the best record and that was with all those rookies.
Quote:

That's some tough crap there man. I feel for you.

barbogast 04-27-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16776975)
That's some tough crap there man. I feel for you.

Agreed. I'm currently stuck in a Moana cycle. Probably about three weeks now. Every day.

Brohan_Santana 04-27-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16776996)
Agreed. I'm currently stuck in a Moana cycle. Probably about three weeks now. Every day.

How do you handle watching sports at home? Do you have your own room?

Whenever the Caps hockey is on my GF stays in the other room. I'm pretty sure she's scared for life when we first moved in during the 2015 Rags series. And she leaves me alone when the Caps lose :lol

Open the question up to everyone else, how does everyone else deal with watching playoff hockey?

Roose13 04-27-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16776996)

At least Moana is better than fucking Frozen. I could sing to The Rock's song for days.

aeroshady 04-27-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16776966)
It's not a distraction for me. It might be maybe if I lived in Queens still and went to games often. I doubt it much of a concern for the players, either.

The rivalries will be never likely be as big and strong as they once were. It's such a different game than the 80's and 90's let alone even the early 2000's. I even have felt my own intensity watching Ranger games be less this year. Pretty sure my wife never once this year told me to keep it quiet or I'll wake the kids :D (insert joke about how bad team was and how there was nothing to be excited about)

Sports radio talks about how it is a distraction a lot. Mainly Ricky D on ESPN.

I think the rivalry would be huge if they met in the playoffs a few times. Even just back-to-back like Washington and Pittsburgh are doing right now.

I do agree with you that the rivalry is so non-existent right now that watching the Islanders does not bother me. I even find myself pulling for them against teams like Pittsburgh and Washington. That is why we need this rivalry back soon :lol

lockman21 04-27-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16777049)

I think the rivalry would be huge if they met in the playoffs a few times. Even just back-to-back like Washington and Pittsburgh are doing right now.

I do agree with you that the rivalry is so non-existent right now that watching the Islanders does not bother me. I even find myself pulling for them against teams like Pittsburgh and Washington. That is why we need this rivalry back soon :lol

I think the issue there is that you're listening to sports talk radio.

aeroshady 04-27-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16777065)
I think the issue there is that you're listening to sports talk radio.

I like sports radio. :grimey

salrx95 04-27-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16777049)

Well, Ricky has a show to promote and get the convo going so I'm sure he is drumming up the distraction angle, too.

Sure playoffs meetings can ignite a rivalry with any team but yes, a Rag$ meeting in back to back years would be insane.

aeroshady 04-27-2017 04:02 PM

Well here we go...

LETS GO RANGERS!!!

fonzz41 04-27-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16777033)
Open the question up to everyone else, how does everyone else deal with watching playoff hockey?

I just catch it when I can, man. Luckily, most of my family loves it, so they're ok with me putting it on in the evenings. However, I'm never just sitting there and watching it, and I don't recall the last time I watched a game from start to finish. Helping kids with homework, getting ready for bed, playing with them, etc., and just having hockey on kind of in the background. I watch more closely after they go to bed, and I catch highlights the next day while at work.

My wife's not particularly fond of all the hockey during playoff time, but I think she 1) understands it's just temporary, and 2) sees that I'm not just sitting on my ass while it's on.

That's what I tell myself anyways. :lol

Brohan_Santana 04-27-2017 04:20 PM

There will be some things said and what not throughout this series Penns/Caps series . Means no ill will. Cheers and hope for some great hockey

unccrombie 04-27-2017 04:22 PM

Henrik. Oh my God.

aeroshady 04-27-2017 04:22 PM

Rangers having a typical start. Hank typically saving the team.

Roose13 04-27-2017 04:22 PM

Long live the King! Hank is probably my favorite player on a rival team.

aeroshady 04-27-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16777108)

:thumbsup

It never fails that the Rangers start flat and make him work early in a series or game. Maybe it is their strategy to get Hank in the game and series?

salrx95 04-27-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16777108)

You mean Queen, don't ya :)

I'd like to say how could you be a fan of a guy on a rival team but Mario, #66, is easily my favorite non Islander of all time. I loved watching that guy play, especially when he lit up the Rag$

aeroshady 04-27-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16777118)
You mean Queen, don't ya :)

I'd like to say how could you be a fan of a guy on a rival team but Mario, #66, is easily my favorite non Islander of all time. I loved watching that guy play, especially when he lit up the Rag$

Okay Sal, it was great to hear from you, you can leave again now :lol