Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

hailtopitt 04-04-2017 10:47 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where home field advantage matters!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16759316)
World Cup of Hockey?

what about it?

TheLastPig 04-04-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16759320)
what about it?

why allow one and not the other?

hailtopitt 04-04-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16759323)
why allow one and not the other?

because WCH doesn't interrupt the NHL regular season

aeroshady 04-04-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16759317)
why? and try to take your personal preferences out of your answer, because that's the real reason you want the league to throw them a bone.

other than you wanting to see NHL players in the Olympics, why should the league do the players a favor?

it doesn't expand the game at all by letting them play in the Olympics

Because not doing this for them will lead to another lockout and possibility of a lost season. That is bad for everyone and I am not sure the NHL can afford ANOTHER lockout.

hailtopitt 04-04-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16759327)
Because not doing this for them will lead to another lockout and possibility of a lost season. That is bad for everyone and I am not sure the NHL can afford ANOTHER lockout.

NHL said they are eyeing 2022 for players to participate

if that's the case then it'll be collectively bargained

jrkarger 04-04-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16759325)
because WCH doesn't interrupt the NHL regular season

That's a bit of a stretch considering they've been going to every Olympics since 98.

More to the point about the WC of Hockey is that it makes the injury risk a BS argument.

Let's face this is all about money. I get it. But the league should just be honest.

WC of Hockey lines their pockets and the Olympics doesn't. They're ok with Beijing because they have that China thang going on.

jrkarger 04-04-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16759329)

Again, if 2022 is ok.... and every olympics since 1998 was ok... why is 2018 not ok?

Dolla Dolla Bills, y'all.

barbogast 04-04-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

why? and try to take your personal preferences out of your answer, because that's the real reason you want the league to throw them a bone.

other than you wanting to see NHL players in the Olympics, why should the league do the players a favor?

Because it's an act of good faith that would go a long way with CBA negotiations coming up. Because it's something the players have been granted for 20 years now and is without argument a really shitty move on the league's part to suddenly deny it because it's inconvenient now all of a sudden. Because the fans want it. Because the hard work of the players is the reason the game is played at the level that it is today, and this is something the players want, and they deserve it.

Quote:

it doesn't expand the game at all by letting them play in the Olympics

Except that the average South Korean who is likely not at all familiar with hockey will get to see the game played at it's best level.

Quote:

So then what's the issue with 2018? This point is counterproductive to your argument

barbogast 04-04-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16759333)
That's a bit of a stretch considering they've been going to every Olympics since 98.

More to the point about the WC of Hockey is that it makes the injury risk a BS argument.

Bingo. Great points.

jrkarger 04-04-2017 11:13 AM

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand why the NHL is doing what they are doing.

Soccer fans and soccer clubs constantly complain about their players getting hurt and fatigued during the international breaks every year and the World Cup every four years. Although the EPL, Bundesliga, or La Liga probably wouldn't dream/dare to prohibit their stars from playing internationally.

So, while I get why they are doing it, the league's excuses reek of BS and hypocrisy.

hailtopitt 04-04-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16759333)

Let's face this is all about money. I get it. But the league should just be honest.

WC of Hockey lines their pockets and the Olympics doesn't. They're ok with Beijing because they have that China thang going on.

NHL thought the Olympics would help grow it's sport

it didn't, so now they're saying no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16759334)
Again, if 2022 is ok.... and every olympics since 1998 was ok... why is 2018 not ok?

Dolla Dolla Bills, y'all.

of course it's about money

2022 will most likely be collectively bargained

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16759343)
Because it's an act of good faith that would go a long way with CBA negotiations coming up. Because it's something the players have been granted for 20 years now and is without argument a really shitty move on the league's part to suddenly deny it because it's inconvenient now all of a sudden. Because the fans want it. Because the hard work of the players is the reason the game is played at the level that it is today, and this is something the players want, and they deserve it.

Except that the average South Korean who is likely not at all familiar with hockey will get to see the game played at it's best level.

So then what's the issue with 2018? This point is counterproductive to your argument

:lol:lol to the bolded

the issue with 2018 is that it's not collectively bargained

2022 most likely will be, which is the important part of my quote that you conveniently left out

jrkarger 04-04-2017 11:27 AM

HOnest questions because I don't know... has participation in every Olympics 2018 been collectively bargained in the past?

hailtopitt 04-04-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16759374)
HOnest questions because I don't know... has participation in every Olympics 2018 been collectively bargained in the past?

the new CBA after the 94-95 lockout is what got pro players to the 1998 Olympics in the first place

Climb2safety 04-04-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

I think the IOC said if they don't play in 2018 they can't play in 22 either

Brohan_Santana 04-04-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16759294)
that's because there's no agreeable solution that exists

there's literally no benefit for the NHL in letting players go to the Olympics

The benefit is to not piss off the NHL brand. Players are going to want to play. No if ands or butts. So now everyone is pissed off at the NHL because the players want to play. Every single fan will side with the players and every single fan wants to see the players playing for their respective teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Climb2safety 04-04-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16759294)
that's because there's no agreeable solution that exists

there's literally no benefit for the NHL in letting players go to the Olympics

For one, he left too many questions out there. He said "since no one responded " we are scheduling 2018 with no break and that was it.

What happens if a player goes? Is a quest that seems left unanswered for one.

lockman21 04-04-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16759367)
NHL thought the Olympics would help grow it's sport

it didn't, so now they're saying no.

of course it's about money

2022 will most likely be collectively bargained

:lol:lol to the bolded

the issue with 2018 is that it's not collectively bargained

2022 most likely will be, which is the important part of my quote that you conveniently left out

Wait, so you're admitting that there's a shift in the Olympic focus and it now needs to be collectively bargained (which it didn't before), and yet somehow Bettman doesn't hold any responsibility?

1+1 ≠ 2, here.

Climb2safety 04-04-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16759391)
The benefit is to not piss off the NHL brand. Players are going to want to play. No if ands or butts. So now everyone is pissed off at the NHL because the players want to play. Every single fan will side with the players and every single fan wants to see the players playing for their respective teams.

I think his point not to put words in his mouth is that it's the owners that are pretty united against it and the players association didn't seem to care, and fan polls were not in favor even so, blaming bettman seems unfounded.

lockman21 04-04-2017 11:47 AM

Johnny T nailing it:

https://twitter.com/MarkLazerus/stat...31297935912962

barbogast 04-04-2017 11:47 AM

This is shittiness on the league's part. No other way to spin it. This means a lot to the players and the league is taking it away suddenly. It's bullshit.

hailtopitt 04-04-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16759389)
I think the IOC said if they don't play in 2018 they can't play in 22 either

the IOC doesn't have the power to forbid players from joining a team (unless they impose an age limit), they can only forbid funding and compensation for participation.

barbogast 04-04-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16759397)
I think his point not to put words in his mouth is that it's the owners that are pretty united against it and the players association didn't seem to care, and fan polls were not in favor even so, blaming bettman seems unfounded.

Where are you getting this from?

Brohan_Santana 04-04-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Leonsis doesn't care if Ovechkin goes. So he's not grouped in with the NHL

Brohan_Santana 04-04-2017 11:54 AM

This is 100% on Bettman. Not sure why people think it's not...

lockman21 04-04-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

I don't buy this at all.

1) The league was never in a position to actually allow the NHLPA to negotiate. The NHLPA was standing on the legs of that if this needs to be collectively bargained, let's open it back up when they go in to collectively bargain. Not now. There's nothing in their contract now that says they can't go, so why is the NHL coming into this demanding the world (financial compensation for allowing players to participate) knowing full well they won't get it. The NHL is being unreasonable and using players emotions and country pride as a negotiating tactic. That's pretty scummy.

2) Something is seriously shady about those polls. What questions did they ask? How did they ask them? Who did they ask? They won't say. They're just standing behind them without releasing actual details.

barbogast 04-04-2017 11:56 AM

Really curious about said polls. I've seen nothing but overwhelming player support on the internet. And have for a long time with regards to this.

hailtopitt 04-04-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16759391)

"not pissing off the NHL brand" (whatever that means), isn't a benefit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16759392)
For one, he left too many questions out there. He said "since no one responded " we are scheduling 2018 with no break and that was it.

What happens if a player goes? Is a quest that seems left unanswered for one.

if a player goes, he will be vulnerable to a breach of contract

whether the team or the NHL does anything about that is another question though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16759393)
Wait, so you're admitting that there's a shift in the Olympic focus and it now needs to be collectively bargained (which it didn't before), and yet somehow Bettman doesn't hold any responsibility?

1+1 ≠ 2, here.

bolded is wrong. it was collectively bargained before, that's the point

after 94-95 lockout, new CBA included the '98 and '02 Olympics

after '05 lockout, new CBA included a compensation clause for the '06 and '10 Olympics

after '12 lockout, new CBA did not include an Olympics clause. however, the players were allowed to participate in 2014 because there was a compensation agreement reached. Allegedly with the host country and the IIHF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16759399)
This is shittiness on the league's part. No other way to spin it. This means a lot to the players and the league is taking it away suddenly. It's bullshit.

there's nothing "sudden" about this

Climb2safety 04-04-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16759405)
Where are you getting this from?

The NHL

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-will-no...cs/c-288385598

It's in the middle of the article, I'm not saying it's gospel but maybe gave them the feeling they were in more solid ground.

hailtopitt 04-04-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16759410)
This is 100% on Bettman. Not sure why people think it's not...

because Bettman is just doing his job. and really well, i might add.

and i'm no Bettman apologist...but this was 100% the right call for him to make.

Climb2safety 04-04-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16759411)
I don't buy this at all.

1) The league was never in a position to actually allow the NHLPA to negotiate. The NHLPA was standing on the legs of that if this needs to be collectively bargained, let's open it back up when they go in to collectively bargain. Not now. There's nothing in their contract now that says they can't go, so why is the NHL coming into this demanding the world (financial compensation for allowing players to participate) knowing full well they won't get it. The NHL is being unreasonable and using players emotions and country pride as a negotiating tactic. That's pretty scummy.

2) Something is seriously shady about those polls. What questions did they ask? How did they ask them? Who did they ask? They won't say. They're just standing behind them without releasing actual details.

I agree with both points.