Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 01-10-2017 12:25 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (lolcaps)

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16682076)
The 3 on 3 helped a lot last year

Yeah since they are going to have it regardless, I'm glad they try different things to freshen it up. Now when will this get old? I dunno, I'm sure it will though.

Lcsulla 01-10-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16679832)
The immediate jumping of a man who delivered a clean hit continues to be disappointing. Glad the refs only penalized the Jets player.

Agreed, it was a devastating hit on a budding star but there was absolutely nothing dirty about it at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16680507)
In the latest Virginia Tech study of helmets, the most expensive/"best" material helmets did not test well (Bauer RE-AKT 100, CCM Resistance).

The new Bauer RE-AKT 75 is apparently the best on the market right now, (source: https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2016/...etratings.html) but the amount of work that went into creating that helmet and fixing things with the RE-AKT 100 is staggering.

The NHL really needs to help fund some of this research and development, but getting there will be a LONG and difficult road. As soon as they start funding, it will basically be admitting that hockey causes concussions, which they have yet to do.

Honestly, it all comes down to physiology. The human brain responds MUCH worse to side to side trauma than front to back - aka you are better off getting smacked in the face or back of the skull than the side of your head. Not sure how much a hockey helmet can change that to be honest without just adding additional padding that the players will just bitch about anyhow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16681795)
This is what I was thinking too but John might be right. I wouldn't think alternates would have a problem selling but what do I know.

No, I bet they sell a decent amount of alternates, lord knows I see enough every game I watch. Heck I have 4 Hawks 'alternates' - the standard black one they almost never wear (Kane), the green one with a shamrock on front that they wear on St. Patrick's day (Hossa), a camouflage one they wore for pregame skate on veterans day (Toews) and a winter classic one (Hjarlmasson). Need to replace my standard white Seabrook though since a friend burned the damn thing with a cigarette!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16681800)
I am reading an article by Puck Daddy right now and it said something about to make the implementation of the new Adidads jerseys easier since this will be the first year Adidas is doing NHL jerseys. Also, don't know if it has been ruled in or out but the jerseys may have the three stripes under the arm pits like the World Cup of Hockey jerseys

Edit: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/adidas-...152149551.html

Not a big fan of Adidas jersey's at all, too thin for me - the material that is. More like a long sleeve soccer jersey than a hockey sweater. I play without upper body pads so I want a nice thick warm one! In truth, to me nothing will ever beat out the old CCM ones - they were made to play in all conditions and took one helluva beating on and off the ice. I think if i played half a dozen games in an adidas one I would either ruin it (stick to jersey or whatever) or freeze to death!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16681863)
Wayne Simmonds and Mike Smith are all stars :lol :lol :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simmonds is a 2 point per game guy at this point. He is clearly deserving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16681990)
I don't like the every team must be included nonsense, and that was further exacerbated when we split into 4 all star teams. Does the Atlantic or the Pacific deserve as many reps as the Metro or Central? It's dumb.

Agreed, reminds me of the idiotic MLB system where every team has to be represented - even if the AL or NL manager has to pick some starting pitcher with a 7.44 ERA just to represent a scrub team!

lockman21 01-10-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16682188)
Honestly, it all comes down to physiology. The human brain responds MUCH worse to side to side trauma than front to back - aka you are better off getting smacked in the face or back of the skull than the side of your head. Not sure how much a hockey helmet can change that to be honest without just adding additional padding that the players will just bitch about anyhow!

That's the thing though, it's not about extra padding. Or so I'm told.

hailtopitt 01-10-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16682200)

extra padding will help protect the skull, not the brain

Lcsulla 01-10-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16682200)

Sort of, see below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16682203)

Agreed but if they can get a tighter fit that does not cause the skull to move as much it would be beneficial. Maybe take a page out of the US military and use a better strapping system to lessen potential movement on impact.

hailtopitt 01-10-2017 04:16 PM

from all that i've read and researched, which is a lot, there's really nothing that can help with limiting brain movement within the skull (other than fewer and less speedy collisions)

again, not a neurologist here :lol but i'm very confident it that assessment. the brain is going to move and collide with the skull no matter what when there is a collision and not much can be done to mitigate that.

Lcsulla 01-10-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16682216)
from all that i've read and researched, which is a lot, there's really nothing that can help with limiting brain movement within the skull (other than fewer and less speedy collisions)

again, not a neurologist here :lol but i'm very confident it that assessment. the brain is going to move and collide with the skull no matter what when there is a collision and not much can be done to mitigate that.

No, I am not a neurologist either but I do know the military is constantly trying to help lessen impacts to helmets. To be honest I should have clarified that I was referring to airborne headgear though since they take more impacts to the head than standard infantry. See the below link and the proposed solution 1: http://www.combatreform.org/chinstrap.htm that includes a 4 point strap system.

lockman21 01-10-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16682203)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16682216)

Holy shit balls we agree on something!

Everyone! Mark your calendars! Jan. 10, 2017. Monumental day in the NHL thread.

lockman21 01-10-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16682217)
No, I am not a neurologist either but I do know the military is constantly trying to help lessen impacts to helmets. To be honest I should have clarified that I was referring to airborne headgear though since they take more impacts to the head than standard infantry. See the below link and the proposed solution 1: http://www.combatreform.org/chinstrap.htm that includes a 4 point strap system.

You think I got 8 spare hours to read all that?

Lcsulla 01-10-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16682231)
You think I got 8 spare hours to read all that?

It is not all that long and the only really relevant part is pertaining to heargear, chinstraps in particular. NHL has only a 2 point system for the helmet to square away the chin to prevent unnecessary head motion. US military is just as bad to be honest (even airborne) working with a 2 point strap system - and people are actually trying to kill them. Hell, if the pre-WW2 German airborne was using a 3 point system maybe we should get with the times - 70+ years later! In Australia their airborne and SAS use 4 point systems. The difference in price between a 2 and 4 point system - 13 bucks a strap, pretty sure that is a worthwhile investment for a player and perhaps the NHL should look into studies done by these institutions, particularly studies done by military medics, nurses and doctors!

Lcsulla 01-10-2017 08:36 PM

Look out Columbus, that is 4 in a row for the Hawks now! :lol

Barbs and will be riveted on Friday night!

barbogast 01-11-2017 03:55 AM

I'm actually much more intrigued about tonight's game than Friday's. I do like how the Caps are quietly going about their business this year. One probably wouldn't realize it but the Caps are currently on the longest winning streak league wide. Not that that matters really and it could end tonight as the Pens are hot as well, but they have seemed almost kind of under the radar so far this season. Considering how much the hockey world talks about Columbus and Pittsburgh.

I said it the other day and I'll say it again, I sincerely hope to draw the Jackets in round one. I don't care what spot the Caps finish in, I just want Columbus.

TMoore4075 01-11-2017 04:57 AM

Alright Wings I like how you rebounded from a crap first period but you still lost. If you are going to come back like that...win the game. 1 point isn't going to do anything so pick what you are going to do. Lose and miss the playoffs or win and get back into the playoff race. OTL's hurt both of those scenarios.

~Crashintome89~ 01-11-2017 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16681818)
agreed. it's akin to a fist fight happening in the NFL every time a linebacker wrapped up and text-book tackled someone

so dumb

So if you Wayne Simmonds delivered a devastating clean hit to Sidney Crosby akin to the Laline hit, you wouldn't want an immediate response from the Pens?

Dramageek 01-11-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16682363)
I'm actually much more intrigued about tonight's game than Friday's. I do like how the Caps are quietly going about their business this year. One probably wouldn't realize it but the Caps are currently on the longest winning streak league wide. Not that that matters really and it could end tonight as the Pens are hot as well, but they have seemed almost kind of under the radar so far this season. Considering how much the hockey world talks about Columbus and Pittsburgh.

I said it the other day and I'll say it again, I sincerely hope to draw the Jackets in round one. I don't care what spot the Caps finish in, I just want Columbus.

That would be a great series to watch.

The Caps are more quiet this year. They haven't had one of those set-the-world-on-fire streaks like Columbus, and their stars' points totals are a little down. Backstrom is 29th with 34 points, and Ovie's right behind him with 33 points. But they are getting their job done and are in the hunt. In the playoffs, they will be their usual threat (to exit by the second round. ;) I kid, I kid.)

~Crashintome89~ 01-11-2017 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16682423)

The Caps are more quiet this year. They haven't had one of those set-the-world-on-fire streaks like Columbus, and their stars' points totals are a little down. Backstrom is 29th with 34 points, and Ovie's right behind him with 33 points. But they are getting their job done and are in the hunt. In the playoffs, they will be their usual threat (to exit by the second round. ;) I kid, I kid.)

All Hail Barry Trotz!

barbogast 01-11-2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16682423)

You probably didn't mean it as such, but the bolded sentence is kind of what I'm talking about. The Caps aren't really "in the hunt", they are far superior than that. They've got the 4th best record in the league. There's no question they'll be near the top of the league at season's end and it wouldn't exactly surprise me if they won the division. But they haven't commanded the attention they have over the last several years.

It's kind of refreshing seeing so many contributions coming from all throughout the lineup. Nick and Ovie don't have to do all the scoring, even Kuznetsov started ice cold but it never slowed the team down. Hopefully Oshie isn't out long as he's been the team's most important player this year.

I dunno. I always get optimistic around this time of year. There's just so many good teams clustered together in that division. It's totally possible they get beat by the Pens in the playoffs again.

TMoore4075 01-11-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16682437)
You probably didn't mean it as such, but the bolded sentence is kind of what I'm talking about. The Caps aren't really "in the hunt", they are far superior than that. They've got the 4th best record in the league. There's no question they'll be near the top of the league at season's end and it wouldn't exactly surprise me if they won the division. But they haven't commanded the attention they have over the last several years.

It's kind of refreshing seeing so many contributions coming from all throughout the lineup. Nick and Ovie don't have to do all the scoring, even Kuznetsov started ice cold but it never slowed the team down. Hopefully Oshie isn't out long as he's been the team's most important player this year.

I dunno. I always get optimistic around this time of year. There's just so many good teams clustered together in that division. It's totally possible they get beat by the Pens in the playoffs again.

Kinda surprised you aren't like I am with the Lions. While I enjoyed a decent year by them, I never became optimistic. I wish I could but....well it's the Lions.

barbogast 01-11-2017 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16682448)
Kinda surprised you aren't like I am with the Lions. While I enjoyed a decent year by them, I never became optimistic. I wish I could but....well it's the Lions.

Have the Lions had legitimate Super Bowl contending teams lately? I know they've been better the last few years but I don't follow the NFL closely at all. I'm also not saying the Caps have had a legit Cup contender every year since Ovie came on board but they probably should've gotten much closer than they have at this point.

Last year I remember feeling especially optimistic. I don't realistically expect the Caps to win the Cup but I mean they might and they certainly seem to have a team good enough to do it again. And I mean I can't be a martyr all the time. Eventually I have to keep the faith that the team will get it done.

aeroshady 01-11-2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16682462)
Have the Lions had legitimate Super Bowl contending teams lately? I know they've been better the last few years but I don't follow the NFL closely at all. I'm also not saying the Caps have had a legit Cup contender every year since Ovie came on board but they probably should've gotten much closer than they have at this point.

Last year I remember feeling especially optimistic. I don't realistically expect the Caps to win the Cup but I mean they might and they certainly seem to have a team good enough to do it again. And I mean I can't be a martyr all the time. Eventually I have to keep the faith that the team will get it done.

You are like this every year going in, and how can anyone blame you? The Caps have been so strong on several different occasions that anyone would believe it was finally their year. You can't tell me that you were not as optimistic in 2015 as you were last year. I remember your reaction to the Rangers coming back in that series haha

From a Rangers fan point of view: Last year was really the only year I was not optimistic in a while going into the playoffs. 2014 shocked me with the run, but 2015 I felt we were strong enough to make a return trip. Last year the team looked about as good as they performed in the playoffs. So I was not surprised or distressed about it at all.

This year, I love the youth and speed we have. I am far more optimistic about what NYR has to bring to the table. Obviously a lot can change before the post-season, but with the right match-ups, I see no reason the Rangers can't make another run.

**Of course the last sentence can be said about pretty much the top 5-6 teams in the MET this year**

aeroshady 01-11-2017 08:50 AM

I also wanted to take a minute to acknowledge the passing of new york's Steven Mcdonald yesterday. For those of you who don't know about him, he was a former NYC Policeman that became paralyzed and became a staple at MSG (as a die hard Rangers fan). At the end of each season he awarded the Steven McDonald "Extra Effort" Award to the Ranger that the fans felt gave the most to the team over the regular season. He meant a lot to the community in NYC and at the Garden and will be missed by all who knew of his story. RIP!

hailtopitt 01-11-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16682230)
Holy shit balls we agree on something!

Everyone! Mark your calendars! Jan. 10, 2017. Monumental day in the NHL thread.

:lol best day

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16682417)
So if you Wayne Simmonds delivered a devastating clean hit to Sidney Crosby akin to the Laline hit, you wouldn't want an immediate response from the Pens?

clean is the key word. and i know it's super hard, as a player, to know in real time if a hit is clean or not, so the natural reaction is to respond no matter what.

but to answer your question, no, i really wouldn't care. what should happen in that instance is everyone clear the fuck away & go back to your bench so the player can get medical attention. Even after a dirty hit, guys in the NFL seem to be able to keep it together most of the time.

imagine if this hit happened in an NHL game: you'd have gloves and helmets littering the ice and a 20 minute delay because of the fighting that would ensue...but instead, in the NFL, the refs handled it accordingly and the team went back to playing ball and making it really hurt where it counted, on the scoreboard.

i want the culture to change.

~Crashintome89~ 01-11-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16681863)
Wayne Simmonds and Mike Smith are all stars :lol :lol :lol

You never get old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16681916)
You're kidding right? Like, this has to just be a troll job from someone who doesn't honestly know shit about hockey, right?

It's not a troll job. The guy had no idea what a Gordie Howe hat trick was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16681938)
Simmonds has been better than Voracek????

I get the Hall/Flyers/Faulk participation picks, but sucks Atkinson who has arguable been the best player on the best team in the league get snubbed. Hell Fat Phil deserved it more than those 3

Atkinson is not the best player on Columbus, and Columbus is not the best team in the NHL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16681941)
this why the ASG is a joke and completely meaningless

The ASG has always been a joke and completely meaningless. All all-star games are. I don't get why so many people get into little hissy fits over a game that literally does not matter.

Lcsulla 01-11-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16682363)

Absolutely I agree, a division game would have me far more excited - specially in a stacked division like the Metro. That said Caps/Hawks games are usually great matches and it is always a blast to watch our teams try themselves against other top tier games - especially on a weekend so I can have a few beers during the game.

As for running under the radar, well they kind of did that to themselves by running away with the Presidents Trophy last season, tough to duplicate that season. Again though - as far as flying below the radar I do not think any team is doing a better job at that than the Wild who are only a point behind Chicago in the Central with 5 games in hand and a +38 goal differential.

Lcsulla 01-11-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16682582)

Certain things are odd expressions almost exclusive to the NHL - aka a Gordie Howe hat trick. A couple weeks ago I watched a game with a buddy I grew up with and he does indeed know hockey - we played on ponds as kids together, went to Whalers games and watched every game we could on TV. He asked me to explain why the second period was considered a long change period. Thought he was kidding at first but then I realized he was genuinely curious so I explained it in a few seconds and it clicked right away.

dmbetc 01-11-2017 10:43 AM

I love the black All-Star jersey. What's with the numbers on the yellow one?

http://www.foxsports.com/west/story/...rsaries-011117

dmbetc 01-11-2017 10:43 AM

TheLastPig 01-11-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16682640)

Meh, they are okay I guess. I liked last year's alot more.

~Crashintome89~ 01-11-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16682631)
Certain things are odd expressions almost exclusive to the NHL - aka a Gordie Howe hat trick. A couple weeks ago I watched a game with a buddy I grew up with and he does indeed know hockey - we played on ponds as kids together, went to Whalers games and watched every game we could on TV. He asked me to explain why the second period was considered a long change period. Thought he was kidding at first but then I realized he was genuinely curious so I explained it in a few seconds and it clicked right away.

I mean, I get it if people aren't knowledgeable about the sport. But in here, if you're going to be a dick, and you get something wrong, we're gonna call you out on it.

BTW, can someone please tell me where Jamie Benn is ranked in terms of faceoffs won this season?

lockman21 01-11-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16682582)

I really, really want to find that original exchange, but I'm WAY too lazy.