Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Lcsulla 05-26-2016 10:42 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16438541)
I liked Backes post game interview. Made me dislike Ott a little less.

Yeah, that was a great and classy interview - hence why he wears the C. Agreed on Ott, Backes knows Ott is likely to take on his job (not as captain but position up front) sometime soon but he still mentioned Ott giving him that gizmo to heal quicker. Backes is just a stand up guy all around.

dmbetc 05-26-2016 10:51 AM

Congrats Sharks fans. Enjoy your first trip to the Stanley Cup Final!

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

barbogast 05-26-2016 10:57 AM

The only issue I have with the Sharks winning the Cup is it would be one fewer team on the "we've never won a Cup" list. Other than that super happy for them, always had great sweaters and Jumbo and Marleau are both super likeable guys. Always had a soft spot for the San Jose Sharks. Not sure why, just always screamed cool as fuck to me.

salrx95 05-26-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16438653)
The only issue I have with the Sharks winning the Cup is it would be one fewer team on the "we've never won a Cup" list. .

I can see how that would be a problem for you.

barbogast 05-26-2016 11:15 AM

Great thread tag change. Excellent work, Sarah

lockman21 05-26-2016 11:44 AM

This whole cancelling of the TB viewing party is THE type of thing that makes my blood boil.

lockman21 05-26-2016 11:46 AM

This cancelling of the TB viewing party is the exact type of thing the NHL does that makes my blood boil. For everything they do right, these are the things they do wrong that I just can't stand.

lockman21 05-26-2016 11:46 AM

This cancelling of the TB viewing party is the exact type of thing the NHL does that makes my blood boil. For everything they do right, these are the things they do wrong that I just can't stand.

dmbetc 05-26-2016 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16438693)
Great thread tag change. Excellent work, Sarah

:thumbsup

TheLastPig 05-26-2016 12:16 PM

Still 5 more hours til gametime ahhhhh

TMoore4075 05-26-2016 12:37 PM

In offseason moves, Wings might have picked up a good young prospect from the Sharks, Dylan Sadowy. Had to look him up and he's put up some good numbers in the OHL.

kev87lads 05-26-2016 01:05 PM

I get the impression that Chris is NOT happy about the TBL viewing party cancellation

dmbetc 05-26-2016 01:08 PM

I saw a headline but didn't read, why are they cancelling the viewing party?

kev87lads 05-26-2016 01:13 PM

Basically the teams per the NHL are allowed 1 viewing party per round. The Lightning already had one (or more) this round. So the NHL made them postpone it. It's so more people watch the games on their own TVs to get ratings up.

It's horrendously, stupidly, utterly, ridiculous.

TMoore4075 05-26-2016 01:17 PM

Yeah beyond stupid. I mean is it really gonna up the ratings THAT much? You'd think you might get more people wanting to hangout and watch it on a big screen. Thinking back to the 90's Wings had them for like every road game in the playoffs.

lockman21 05-26-2016 01:23 PM

It's just insane.

"Hey guys, look, we have a southern market embracing our sport! What should we do?!"
"Smother it and ruin their fun for an extremely marginal short-term ratings gain."
"GREAT IDEA! Long-term growth of the sport is overrated anyway. We need to make NBC and Comcast's shareholders happy!"

jrkarger 05-26-2016 01:32 PM

As far as I know the Pens have had a big screen outside of Consol for every home playoff game and will be tonight as well.

lockman21 05-26-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16438962)
As far as I know the Pens have had a big screen outside of Consol for every home playoff game and will be tonight as well.

Selective enforcement (a.k.a. favorites).

jrkarger 05-26-2016 01:42 PM

I agree it's super shitty and super dumb from a PR standpoint

salrx95 05-26-2016 01:45 PM

Dumb they had to cancel their party.

Islanders preseason schedule came out today. I'm ready. :D

rconverse 05-26-2016 02:00 PM

Wow. That seems crazy silly. How many viewers do they think they're gaining? It cant' be that large of a number.

lockman21 05-26-2016 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 16438995)
Wow. That seems crazy silly. How many viewers do they think they're gaining? It cant' be that large of a number.

It's in their contract with NBC. Make no mistake, this is all coming from Comcast/NBC.

edit: Which is why I don't have cable TV anymore...shit like this is out of hand. Youtube/internet streams forever.

BeyondKnight 05-26-2016 02:06 PM

3 hours to go - in the mean time, get hyped

https://youtu.be/zEAsNrbHmUw

salrx95 05-26-2016 02:07 PM

I would think most big time hockey fans wouldn't go to a viewing party tonight. Most of those people going likely won't watch it on tv now unless in a bar somewhere where it is on. I wouldn't go to a viewing party for the game tonight. They are losing the casual fan and maybe not acquiring new ones by forcing the cancellation.

TheLastPig 05-26-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16438517)
Marleau pretty much acting like it's no big deal right now is pretty badass. He knows what he wants and this ain't it. Reminds me Stevie Y in 97. Picked up the Campbell Bowl, didn't even smile, and skated to the dressing room.

Had to look up Zubrus, yep no Cup.

Quote:

Wasnt allowed for a few sporadic games.

Before the Rangers series they were trying to ban it all together. Tried to do the same thing last year in the playoffs.

unccrombie 05-26-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

weren't people allowed in VZ center for every round 1 road game, too?
barbs, bob?

rconverse 05-26-2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16439001)
It's in their contract with NBC. Make no mistake, this is all coming from Comcast/NBC.

edit: Which is why I don't have cable TV anymore...shit like this is out of hand. Youtube/internet streams forever.

I feel like it's been proven that doesn't work. It's kind of like the Blackhawks in Chicago. When they started broadcasting the games, the team got more popular.

lockman21 05-26-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 16439025)
I feel like it's been proven that doesn't work. It's kind of like the Blackhawks in Chicago. When they started broadcasting the games, the team got more popular.

I mean, it's standard corporate America. Have you worked at a major corporation before? People calling the shots aren't exactly in-touch with the world today. It's 1980-1990 for all these people still.

Or maybe they are, and they just care more about extremely short-term gains to show to stockholders in order to keep their jobs. Or maybe it's a combination of both.

trd1610 05-26-2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16439004)
I would think most big time hockey fans wouldn't go to a viewing party tonight. Most of those people going likely won't watch it on tv now unless in a bar somewhere where it is on. I wouldn't go to a viewing party for the game tonight. They are losing the casual fan and maybe not acquiring new ones by forcing the cancellation.

The one they held for Game 5 had 8,000 people in attendance. They've got a great set up right outside the stadium for it, during the SCF home game I went to last year they even had the game up outside. It's not any meaningful number that would drastically impact the NBC viewership though.

It's a really stupid idea to make them cancel it.

trd1610 05-26-2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16439004)

The one they held for Game 5 had 8,000 people in attendance. They've got a great set up right outside the stadium for it, during the SCF home game I went to last year they even had the game up outside. It's not any meaningful number that would drastically impact the NBC viewership though.

It's a really stupid idea to make them cancel it.