Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

dmbetc 02-25-2016 03:16 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
What a drama queen

barbogast 02-25-2016 03:19 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16314286)
Yeah he'd have to come back to the Devils too wouldn't he? I doubt the other GMs would allow it right now with the Devils right in the playoff picture. In the offseason? What would they care?

Not so sure that's the case. Sounds like if he obtains the 30 team approval he's a UFA. I think.

It's stupid complicated. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Would the Devils even want him back? Clearly there was hurt feelings when what went down 3 years ago went down. That said, it's not like NJ couldn't use the offense.

dmbetc 02-25-2016 03:20 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
In those two reports Barbs linked I couldn't see why exactly they benched him and stripped his captaincy. Seems a dramatic move for a just a poor performance (seems more average performance). Has there been any more information on why this happened? If it's just a performance thing, suck it up and put your frustrations out on the ice. Show that you are worth fighting for. I have no respect for a professional, in any business, whining to get what they want.

barbogast 02-25-2016 03:20 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16314288)
What a drama queen

It's weird because it's hard to know exactly what is happening between him and his Russian team and why, but I tend to agree with you. Drama has followed him for several years now

barbogast 02-25-2016 03:22 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16314295)
In those two reports Barbs linked I couldn't see why exactly they benched him and stripped his captaincy. Seems a dramatic move for a just a poor performance (seems more average performance). Has there been any more information on why this happened? If it's just a performance thing, suck it up and put your frustrations out on the ice. Show that you are worth fighting for. I have no respect for a professional, in any business, winning to get what they want.

I fee like I saw something on some site that said he was benched initially for a rules violation, but I also saw it could be performance related on a team level and his benching is supposed to be a wake up call to the whole team. Statistically this hasnt been a particularly strong year for him.

dmbetc 02-25-2016 03:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16314299)
I fee like I saw something on some site that said he was benched initially for a rules violation, but I also saw it could be performance related on a team level and his benching is supposed to be a wake up call to the whole team. Statistically this hasnt been a particularly strong year for him.

from one of the reports: "Earlier in the week, Kovalchuk was benched following a poor performance in Game 1 of St. Petersburgĺs playoff series against Lokomotiv. The team reportedly also informed Kovalchuk he would be a scratch in Game 3 and Game 4 of the series as well. The 32-year-old led SKA to its first Gagarin Cup in 2015 and took home playoff MVP honours but his performance dipped this season. He finished 12th in league scoring (16 goals, 33 assists) but had a minus rating for the first time in his KHL career."

Taking him out of all those games during the playoffs seems big to send a message. I can see 1 game. Sounds like there's more to it than not having a strong year. He finished 12th in the league, it's not like he was at the bottom. But Russia is pretty nuts with hockey so....

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 03:27 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16314291)
Not so sure that's the case. Sounds like if he obtains the 30 team approval he's a UFA. I think.

It's stupid complicated. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Would the Devils even want him back? Clearly there was hurt feelings when what went down 3 years ago went down. That said, it's not like NJ couldn't use the offense.

Well that is a given.

hailtopitt 02-25-2016 03:28 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16314307)
Well that is a given.

:lol:lol

barbogast 02-25-2016 03:30 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I forget where I saw it was a rules violation. There's so many conflicting stories. And Russia really is nuts with hockey. It'll be interesting to see if anymore comes of this. I wasn't in here quite as often as I am now back when left so I don't remember how guys felt, but I remember thinking to myself this likely wasn't the absolute end of his NHL career.

One thing I do agree with: the NHL is offense starved and he's still a truly elite offensive talent, so it's not like the on ice product couldn't use a little Ilya Kovalchuk.

barbogast 02-25-2016 03:30 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16314307)
Well that is a given.

Was wondering which one of you was gonna make this joke

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 03:31 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/24/ily...bylaw-loophole

This makes it sound like 30 votes is for UFA but he might be able to sign back with the Devils.

barbogast 02-25-2016 03:34 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16314314)
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/24/ily...bylaw-loophole

This makes it sound like 30 votes is for UFA but he might be able to sign back with the Devils.

Wow. Again, would the Devils want him? They could certainly use him. You're a pretty good cap guy, could they fit him?

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 03:39 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16314318)
Wow. Again, would the Devils want him? They could certainly use him. You're a pretty good cap guy, could they fit him?

Well, according to this:

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/new-jersey-devils

They could take on a total cap hit of 38mil so I'll go with yes. No matter what he signed for, it would be prorated. So he signs for $10mil and there would be 21 games left, his cap hit would be something like 2.5mil for the rest of this season. I do not want this to happen as the Devils are right there around the Wings for one of the wild card spots.

dmbetc 02-25-2016 03:42 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I would be skeptical if I were the Devils front office..remember the Devils taking penalties because of Kovalchuk's contract when he signed with them? Then a few years later he ditches them for "family"? To me it just seems like a lot of potential trouble.

I put my money on him not returning to the NHL.

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 03:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16314318)
Wow. Again, would the Devils want him? They could certainly use him. You're a pretty good cap guy, could they fit him?

As for if they'd want him, I dunno. The bad blood there with all of that has to be something. But if you can have him back down the stretch and it could mean playoffs vs not playoffs? Tough one.

barbogast 02-25-2016 03:50 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16314314)
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/24/ily...bylaw-loophole

This makes it sound like 30 votes is for UFA but he might be able to sign back with the Devils.

The other interesting thing I learned from this article is the K is in financial trouble. That's an important bit I think, and I wasn't aware of that. If we factor in selfish financial motivations for Ilya, now how do we feel about having him on our team?

I just don't know about this guy. I'm not sure I'd want him anywhere near mine.

barbogast 02-25-2016 03:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16314323)
I would be skeptical if I were the Devils front office..remember the Devils taking penalties because of Kovalchuk's contract when he signed with them? Then a few years later he ditches them for "family"? To me it just seems like a lot of potential trouble.

I put my money on him not returning to the NHL.

And this can't be ignored. Not by any team, not just the Devils.

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 03:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
That whole situation it was like he was trying to hit up every cliche/stereotype of the selfish Russian player.

dmbetc 02-25-2016 03:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16314334)
The other interesting thing I learned from this article is the K is in financial trouble. That's an important bit I think, and I wasn't aware of that. If we factor in selfish financial motivations for Ilya, now how do we feel about having him on our team?

I just don't know about this guy. I'm not sure I'd want him anywhere near mine.

He left the team for money before, why wouldn't he do it again?

Can you tell I don't like him? Must be the Rangers blood in me!

lockman21 02-25-2016 03:55 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
conĚtract
1.
a : a binding agreement between two or more persons or parties; especially : one legally enforceable
b : a business arrangement for the supply of goods or services at a fixed price <make parts on contract>

Kovy be like.........nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

fonzz41 02-25-2016 05:14 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16314348)
conĚtract
1.
a : a binding agreement between two or more persons or parties; especially : one legally enforceable
b : a business arrangement for the supply of goods or services at a fixed price <make parts on contract>

Kovy be like.........nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My thoughts exactly as I've been following this little saga.

He signs a mega contract with the Devils (that ends up getting them in trouble), and he skips out on it not even like halfway into it. At the time, he said it was for family and I believed him. Now? eh....

Because here he is, a few years into the KHL and threatening to come BACK to the NHL. Ha!

I remember chatting about this here when it was all going down, and we laughed at the prospect of all 30 GMs banding together just for this one time to block Kovy from coming back. :lol

But in the end, if he wants to come back eventually, there will be teams that will sign him. His drama-ness outshines just how big of an offensive weapon he is. He's big, has a wrist shot on par with Ovie's, is remarkably slick for his size, and has some of the softest mitts you'll see in hockey today. He's not the perfect player, but he'd be an asset to quite a few teams.

kev87lads 02-25-2016 06:42 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Devils also have a new hockey front office since he left. So who knows?!?!

Lcsulla 02-25-2016 07:56 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Andrew Ladd traded back to Chicago, Jets paying over 36% of his remaining contract so no cup hit. No details yet, just saw it breaking on the NHL network.

lockman21 02-25-2016 08:01 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Dano, a 1st, and a conditional 3rd (3rd goes to the Jets if the Hawks win the Cup this year...lol ok, gladly)

I fuckin' love it. Welcome back Ladd!

UCFish 02-25-2016 08:01 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Yes!!!!!!!

That makes me happy.

Lcsulla 02-25-2016 08:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16314688)
Dano, a 1st, and a conditional 3rd (3rd goes to the Jets if the Hawks win the Cup this year...lol ok, gladly)

I fuckin' love it. Welcome back Ladd!

Yeah, just saw that - though CSN is reporting Dano and 2 Prospects. Nice damn move!!!!!!

fonzz41 02-25-2016 08:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Good trade for both clubs. The Jets got more than I thought they would.

Now that Ladd has moved and established a bar, moves leading up to Monday could start coming quickly!

DMBZeppelin 02-25-2016 08:12 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16314688)
Dano, a 1st, and a conditional 3rd (3rd goes to the Jets if the Hawks win the Cup this year...lol ok, gladly)

I fuckin' love it. Welcome back Ladd!

Amazing deal, but a steep price that's more than worth it if you win the cup.

Are Fraser and Harrison worth anything? They are coming back with Ladd.

fonzz41 02-25-2016 08:21 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Like Lebrun just said on Twitter, Arizona is probably loving this move, knowing that they can get at least a first for Boeddker

BotheLaneFan 02-25-2016 08:38 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Bow down to the king.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.