Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

hailtopitt 02-09-2016 09:13 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16287708)
Good question. Yes, technically a high-sticking penalty (probably a minor) could be imposed, as it's a penalty whether intentionally or unintentionally committed.

There is leniency in this penalty, however, for unintentional/unavoidable contact. Examples of this usually include normal wind-up for a slap shot, or commotion between centers during a face off. So there is room for a ref to make a judgement call if he feels the high stick contact was unintentional, but also unavoidable (if JUST unintentional, you still want to call a penalty and use it as a teaching moment; especially with younger players).

I'm guessing Perry wasn't penalized here because of how tangled up Perry was with the defensemen as they were going to the net. Probably fulfills the requirement of unintentional and unavoidable, at least for the in-the-moment judgement of the ref. I probably also would've not called a penalty, FWIW.

EDIT: Watched the play again and he wasn't really tangled up with the defensemen; it's more like he went into traffic jam in front of the net and got tripped up over something. Even so, I think the stick went up as a result of him falling, so my opinion still stands.

yea i wasn't upset that there wasn't a penalty or anything, i was just curious because i've never really seen anything like that before

just glad Fleury is ok...maybe the league should start looking at plays like that? whether it be penalizing a defenseman for riding a guy into a goalie or penalizing Perry there just so we can avoid unnecessary head contact

could've easily been another concussion for Fleury there

Lcsulla 02-09-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16287708)
Good question. Yes, technically a high-sticking penalty (probably a minor) could be imposed, as it's a penalty whether intentionally or unintentionally committed.

There is leniency in this penalty, however, for unintentional/unavoidable contact. Examples of this usually include normal wind-up for a slap shot, or commotion between centers during a face off. So there is room for a ref to make a judgement call if he feels the high stick contact was unintentional, but also unavoidable (if JUST unintentional, you still want to call a penalty and use it as a teaching moment; especially with younger players).

I'm guessing Perry wasn't penalized here because of how tangled up Perry was with the defensemen as they were going to the net. Probably fulfills the requirement of unintentional and unavoidable, at least for the in-the-moment judgement of the ref. I probably also would've not called a penalty, FWIW.

EDIT: Watched the play again and he wasn't really tangled up with the defensemen; it's more like he went into traffic jam in front of the net and got tripped up over something. Even so, I think the stick went up as a result of him falling, so my opinion still stands.

Yeah, sometimes I think the refs need to apply some common sense in enforcing a rule rather than sticking to the letter of it. It is a contact sport, you get hit your stick or your body can do strange things which I do not believe they should penalized for. I was griping the other nigh that Marian Hossa was attempting to get in front of the goalie to block his view and he was checked in the back and got tangled in the goalies stick, he recovered quickly and collected the loose puck and just tapped it in - ruling on the ice was that the goal was good but after review they nullified it due to interference.

Sarah, hoping the Hawks can do you all a favor and smack down the Sharks tonight.

Also, Hawks are going to have to get rid of a few players after the season to make some cap space to retain Panarin. I thought he was on a 3 year deal but it is only a one year contract and that is a guy I want to keep on the same line as Anisimov and Kane for a long time to come!

TMoore4075 02-09-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16287874)

Also, Hawks are going to have to get rid of a few players after the season to make some cap space to retain Panarin. I thought he was on a 3 year deal but it is only a one year contract and that is a guy I want to keep on the same line as Anisimov and Kane for a long time to come!

Generalganager has him under contract for next year.

Alazais 02-09-2016 10:47 AM

Pretty big deal for the Leafs.

Some are suggesting its a play to get Phaneufs long term contract off the books in order to allow us to make a big off season splash this off season (Stamkos). We wouldn't be able to do that with a bunch of years of Phaneuf. Would be crazy if that happened.

dmbetc 02-09-2016 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16287874)
Sarah, hoping the Hawks can do you all a favor and smack down the Sharks tonight.

Me too, I'll always pull for Hawks over Sharks. Pens did their job and slobbered the Ducks last night.

Kings need to step it up in Boston tonight. Going to have to watch the game from work. :(

TMoore4075 02-09-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 16287987)
Pretty big deal for the Leafs.

Some are suggesting its a play to get Phaneufs long term contract off the books in order to allow us to make a big off season splash this off season (Stamkos). We wouldn't be able to do that with a bunch of years of Phaneuf. Would be crazy if that happened.

He won't have anyone to play with him though. lol

unccrombie 02-09-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16287995)
Me too, I'll always pull for Hawks over Sharks. Pens did their job and slobbered the Ducks last night.

Kings need to step it up in Boston tonight. Going to have to watch the game from work. :(

Kings/Rangers, Friday
dreading?

Lcsulla 02-09-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16287897)
Generalganager has him under contract for next year.

My mistake, I thought it was a one year deal. I think that the should immediately cut ties with Michal Rozsival, Marcus Kruger, Rob Scuderi and possibly Andrew Shaw (all of their contracts expire at the end of this season) to free up space to give Panarin an extension!

dmbetc 02-09-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16288009)
Kings/Rangers, Friday
dreading?

:lol Not during regular season. I'm excited about it.

Lcsulla 02-09-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16287995)

Not hockey but I always hated having to follow world cup games from work.

I hope they step it up in Boston tonight myself, I want to see another thrilling conference final between LA and Chicago!

unccrombie 02-09-2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16288015)
:lol Not during regular season. I'm excited about it.

:lol

:thumbsup

dmbetc 02-09-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16288017)
Not hockey but I always hated having to follow world cup games from work.

I hope they step it up in Boston tonight myself, I want to see another thrilling conference final between LA and Chicago!

Such a great match up but gives me cause for heart attack.

lockman21 02-09-2016 11:08 AM

lol wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

~Crashintome89~ 02-09-2016 11:17 AM

I think Stamkos ends up either as a Bolt for awhile, or goes somewhere that's not Toronto.

TMoore4075 02-09-2016 11:19 AM

I'd like to see him go West.

Alazais 02-09-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16288006)
He won't have anyone to play with him though. lol

I disagree. There are some very valuable pieces on the Leafs.

JVR is a bit of a stud. Komarov has proven that he can produce in a top 6 role and still provide that perfect level of grit.

Rielly is a stud is a first pairing guy. Gardiner is a quality 2nd pairing guy that does a fantastic job at moving the puck.

Then they have some strong depth in the AHL/Juniors. Nylander was leading the AHL in points (he is a rookie) prior to his injury. Kapanen has done a great job in the minors and should transition into a strong NHL player. Connor Brown led the AHL in rookie scoring last year and has played well this year. Mitch Marner is magic with the puck.

I read an article about Shohkinov and Timoshov or whatever their names are and how they can end up being high level Russian steals.

Add this Tobias Lindberg character and it's good a really strong prospect pool.

Again, they're bad and a lot has to be changed. But with Prospect depth and an amazing front office. There is a very interesting opportunity that could see at least SOME of these prospects grow into high level players.

In saying that, I could see the Leafs, in a couple of years, assuming some important changes take place, putting together a quality team.

Besides - who wouldn't want to play under Babcock?

Edit: Also saw this and thought it was pretty cool.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...r-dion-phaneuf

Lcsulla 02-09-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16288032)

Such a great match up but gives me cause for heart attack.

Know the feeling! They are always nail biters with both teams battling! Would make for yet another great conference final!

PS ... sent you a PM of a personal variety that has an link you can just cut and paste into your browser I hope!

TMoore4075 02-09-2016 11:39 AM

I still think they are a few years away from being competitive. There is a future there but with almost $50mil tied up in 8 players for next year, they have a lot of work to do. I dunno, do you really want to suck for another couple of years?

lockman21 02-09-2016 11:39 AM

This shit is cray cray.

Would have never guessed Dion would get moved (with NO retained salary) before Drouin.

~Crashintome89~ 02-09-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16288108)
I still think they are a few years away from being competitive. There is a future there but with almost $50mil tied up in 8 players for next year, they have a lot of work to do. I dunno, do you really want to suck for another couple of years?

I think it all really comes down to the Canadian dollar and whether or not GMs think it will stay the same or go down even more.

Alazais 02-09-2016 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16288108)

No one wants to suck for another couple of years, but that is the reality of a rebuild.

No one is suggesting they make the playoffs next year. that would be fantastic, but they're in the process of trying to build a dynasty, not be a middle of the pack team like they've been for the past 50 years or whatever. Sadly that means burning everything to the ground.

dmbetc 02-09-2016 05:45 PM

Beat down in Boston happening.
https://media.giphy.com/media/vZyyMJ2hRrplK/giphy.gif

Lcsulla 02-09-2016 06:24 PM

Really, again - twice in 3 games? NHL really needs to get their review process straight because this is absurd. Once again a Hawk get pushed into the goalie by some damn shark and then tries to get back out of the crease and the puck goes in and they rule call the goal back. Theses refs and the mental midgets in Toronto need to get their acts together because their review system is pathetic.

~Crashintome89~ 02-09-2016 07:58 PM

wahhhhhh the hawks got a goal disallowed, the world is ending!!!!!

Lcsulla 02-09-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16288762)
wahhhhhh the hawks got a goal disallowed, the world is ending!!!!!

It is just the point that interference should not be called if a an opposing player pushes a player into the keeper. Doesn't matter what team it is, the NHL needs to get their act in gear with these charades. If they don't fix their busted system sometime soon a call like that could cost a team a valuable goal in a playoff series.

dmbetc 02-09-2016 11:10 PM

Kings scored 9 goals last night, all from different players. Really nuts. Lucic got an assist and a goal in his return. Here is his goal video. Love Bergeron giving him a nice tap afterwards. Really love seeing stuff like that.

https://instagram.com/p/BBlvMTlvWHT/

TMoore4075 02-10-2016 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16288826)
Kings scored 9 goals last night, all from different players. Really nuts. Lucic got an assist and a goal in his return. Here is his goal video. Love Bergeron giving him a nice tap afterwards. Really love seeing stuff like that.

https://instagram.com/p/BBlvMTlvWHT/

My team appreciates that, I'm sure.

kev87lads 02-10-2016 06:30 AM

Went to the Flyers game last night. I figured they'd lose to the Ducks whom they struggle against in the couple of times they see them every year (lost 6 in a row now) and because the Ducks got throttled the night before and would be pissed. But I didn't think the Flyers would look THAT bad for 2+ periods. They couldn't complete a pass. And they got rattled like the Pens do when playing the Flyers. It was weird.

Oh well. Still good to be at the game regardless.

hailtopitt 02-10-2016 06:32 AM

:lol Flyers fans unable to go 1 post without mentioning the Pens

sad really

somehow the Pens made their way into a Ducks-Flyers game...impressive

unccrombie 02-10-2016 06:33 AM

pens/rangers tonight
text me a pic of your beer, pre-game