Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

~Crashintome89~ 06-30-2015 05:38 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Still cannot believe Eric Lindros is not in the Hall of Fame.

salrx95 06-30-2015 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16033948)
Still cannot believe Eric Lindros is not in the Hall of Fame.

I think I lean towards him going in but I wonder if the voters feel he didn't play at a HOF level long enough. He had what, 8 or 9 HOF seasons and a few of those seasons he missed a bunch of time. I think the voters think he didn't have a long enough career, though I do think he eventually gets in.

I'd have to think if there are players in the Hall who had "short" yet dominant careers. Ken Dryden comes to mind but he was so ridiculously good and won a lot of cups in that short time frame that he had to go in.

His injuries and short career hurt him, though his more than point a game in the trap era is impressive. He'll get in eventually.

TMoore4075 06-30-2015 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16034012)
I think I lean towards him going in but I wonder if the voters feel he didn't play at a HOF level long enough. He had what, 8 or 9 HOF seasons and a few of those seasons he missed a bunch of time. I think the voters think he didn't have a long enough career, though I do think he eventually gets in.

I'd have to think if there are players in the Hall who had "short" yet dominant careers. Ken Dryden comes to mind but he was so ridiculously good and won a lot of cups in that short time frame that he had to go in.

His injuries and short career hurt him, though his more than point a game in the trap era is impressive. He'll get in eventually.

Pretty much my thoughts. His PPG is impressive but a crazy short career and his last few years his most games played was 49. It's always gonna hang over his head, no matter how unfair you might think it is.

fonzz41 06-30-2015 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16033948)
Still cannot believe Adam Foote is not in the Hall of Fame.

Me neither.

~Crashintome89~ 06-30-2015 06:49 AM

If Cam Neely and Pavel Bure are in it. Lindros should be in.

salrx95 06-30-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16034070)
If Cam Neely and Pavel Bure are in it. Lindros should be in.

That's a couple of good names in the "short career but in" guys. Of course, they were tremendous goal scorers and that is "sexier". Pavel was arguably the most dynamic goal scorer of an era. They didn't get in right away either. I still think Lindros will get in at some point

TMoore4075 06-30-2015 07:16 AM

Pavel is a good comparison. Because his last few years weren't all the same either. Also remember it took him 9 years after he was done playing to get in. So still another year for Eric before that mark.

TMoore4075 06-30-2015 08:41 AM

So the Mike Richards stuff seems to be about some kind of trouble with crossing at the border. Assumption is drugs or something as bad. Curious as to the extent of all of it. Still, how many players have gotten into trouble with shit and never had their contracts terminated? Again I want to see what all the details are, but still screams an excuse to get him 100% off the books type of move.

JRS1386 06-30-2015 10:03 AM

I think the Kings are being shady. Unless something is really severe they should still be on the hook. Also, drugs is my guess too

Rebecca De Mornay 06-30-2015 10:08 AM

it goes without saying that if he was an important player they wouldn't be terminating his deal for this.
it's just business though, i don't blame the kings for doing what they are doing, it will be settled in court.

fonzz41 06-30-2015 10:21 AM

Martin Jones moved to San Jose for a first rounder and a prospect... maybe makes Sweeney not look quite AS bad being able to get a first for him.

Matt Larkin points out that NYR couldn't get a first for Talbot, but Jones and Lehner both did. Puzzling.

pathetic 06-30-2015 10:21 AM

bruins staying busy. flipped martin jones to the sharks for a first rounder. so basically got prospects and 2 first rounders for lucic

pathetic 06-30-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16034659)
Martin Jones moved to San Jose for a first rounder and a prospect... maybe makes Sweeney not look quite AS bad being able to get a first for him.

Matt Larkin points out that NYR couldn't get a first for Talbot, but Jones and Lehner both did. Puzzling.

I'm not sure why Sweeney got the majority of the bashing the other day for moving Hamilton. I'm sure Sweeney has a lot of input, but in my opinion Cam Neely is pulling the strings

pathetic 06-30-2015 10:26 AM

FWIW I really don't like moving Hamilton. The bruins seem to be rebuilding while still trying to compete, but isn't Hamilton the perfect defenseman to build around if he continues progressing? I'll defer to Sweeney because he was a defenseman and has a better eye for it, but listening to Sweeney's interviews from a month ago it sounds like Dougie was on his way out. I didn't notice at the time

Rebecca De Mornay 06-30-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 16034663)
bruins staying busy. flipped martin jones to the sharks for a first rounder. so basically got prospects and 2 first rounders for lucic

that's an incredible haul for that goon.

and ya it looks like the rangers got fleeced on the talbot deal.

Roose13 06-30-2015 10:37 AM

Nice move by Bruins to rebound from a couple head scratchers.

TMoore4075 06-30-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 16034626)
it goes without saying that if he was an important player they wouldn't be terminating his deal for this.
it's just business though, i don't blame the kings for doing what they are doing, it will be settled in court.

Bingo to that first part. If he was even remotely playing up to his contract, this doesn't happen.
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16034659)

Always wonder with this stuff don't ya? How come one player is gotten for X and a better quality doesn't. And this isn't like it's different times of the year, this was a few a days ago.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 16034663)

From a Rinaldo move to this...
Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 16034669)
I'm not sure why Sweeney got the majority of the bashing the other day for moving Hamilton. I'm sure Sweeney has a lot of input, but in my opinion Cam Neely is pulling the strings

Rumors are Hamilton deal will be under $6mil per cap hit. Gonna wonder for a long time how the Bruins couldn't get it done if this is true. Whether that be Dougie wanted out or the Bruins didn't really want to negotiate. Just strange.

pathetic 06-30-2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16034722)
Rumors are Hamilton deal will be under $6mil per cap hit. Gonna wonder for a long time how the Bruins couldn't get it done if this is true. Whether that be Dougie wanted out or the Bruins didn't really want to negotiate. Just strange.

I guess we just need to wait and see. the rumor around here was dougie was looking for a long-term deal paying upwards of 7-8mil/yr

TMoore4075 06-30-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 16034760)
I guess we just need to wait and see. the rumor around here was dougie was looking for a long-term deal paying upwards of 7-8mil/yr

6 years and 5.75per is what he just signed for. Sure seems like he wanted out cause last Boston offer was 5.5mil per over 6 years.

pathetic 06-30-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16034769)
6 years and 5.75per is what he just signed for. Sure seems like he wanted out cause last Boston offer was 5.5mil per over 6 years.

front office liked the draft this year and thought it was deeper than next years. that's why they got him out as quick as they did.

still begs the question of whether or not he wanted to be in boston. I heard some rumor about him not getting along with teammates and being a loner, but everyone get smeared a bit when leaving boston :lol

TMoore4075 06-30-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 16034787)
front office liked the draft this year and thought it was deeper than next years. that's why they got him out as quick as they did.

still begs the question of whether or not he wanted to be in boston. I heard some rumor about him not getting along with teammates and being a loner, but everyone get smeared a bit when leaving boston :lol

I heard the teammate thing too but then read yesterday someone said that was total BS. Just in terms of city, I'd rather be in Boston than Calgary but that's just me. Flames have a bright future right now though.

pathetic 06-30-2015 11:08 AM

Sweeney just said Rask isn't on the market and the bruins aren't in rebuild phase :lol ok, I'm confused. what the fuck is this then?

TMoore4075 06-30-2015 11:14 AM

If they were gonna dump Rask, which would be tough, you'd think they would have kept Jones and just gone young and cheap in goal.

pathetic 06-30-2015 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16034823)
If they were gonna dump Rask, which would be tough, you'd think they would have kept Jones and just gone young and cheap in goal.

so is the plan to make a couple more big trades to fill the roster? FA isn't that good and neither is providence.

sounds like a small rebuild to me.. a rebuild on the fly while trying to compete for a low playoff spot

TMoore4075 06-30-2015 11:24 AM

I'm interested in what they plan to do. Not that the team is old but they aren't getting any younger either. I want to see what Chara does this season. He looked like he was slowing down but maybe a long offseason will help him.

fonzz41 06-30-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 16034827)
so is the plan to make a couple more big trades to fill the roster? FA isn't that good and neither is providence.

sounds like a small rebuild to me.. a rebuild on the fly while trying to compete for a low playoff spot

Both prospects they got back from the LA and SJ deals have high potential and have a shot at making the team this year.

Other than that, I think they'll for sure look for a forward who can score a bit more. Shopping Eriksson as bait perhaps? Could potentailly get someone like Frolik on the FA market.... or just go all in and bring back Kessel. :lol

pathetic 06-30-2015 11:30 AM

Kessel :lol :lol

UCFish 06-30-2015 11:59 AM

Please take Bickell.....come on Boston

He has already scored a very clutch goal in Boston

pathetic 06-30-2015 12:27 PM

would rather have oduya based on the cost

Roose13 06-30-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16034944)
Please take Bickell.....come on Boston

He has already scored a very clutch goal in Boston

:lol:lol