Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

c33dmb 02-26-2016 12:24 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Big game tonight. Canes shat themselves pretty hard this week so a win to turn things around would do wonders (I think). I have a feeling Marchand will hurt us though. First Bruins matchup of the year and I haven't really seen them deal well with talented tougher guys.

Just glad to be back at the arena for the first time in a couple weeks.

dmbetc 02-26-2016 12:26 PM

Welcome Canes fan!! We love fresh blood here :)

TMoore4075 02-26-2016 12:28 PM

I am torn on two games tonight. TBL vs NJD is tough cause Devils are right behind the Wings and Tampa is right ahead. A NJ loss keeps them further behind. Same goes for Canes vs Bruins. Just no OT for those games.

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16315807)

I worry more about the trap games where your favorite team is heavily favored and supposed to win than I do a game like say Hawks v Kings where I know damn well it is going to be a nailbiter!

Hoping Edmonton can beat the Ducks tonight, seems like a trap game for Anaheim to me.

c33dmb 02-26-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16315807)

Thanks, #1 thing I've learned so far is that hockey people are good people :hug

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16315812)
I am torn on two games tonight. TBL vs NJD is tough cause Devils are right behind the Wings and Tampa is right ahead. A NJ loss keeps them further behind. Same goes for Canes vs Bruins. Just no OT for those games.

Go Lightning! I think we lost them when we handed them the game on Sunday. Gotta hope we can catch NJ at this point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16315825)
I worry more about the trap games where your favorite team is heavily favored and supposed to win than I do a game like say Hawks v Kings where I know damn well it is going to be a nailbiter!

Hoping Edmonton can beat the Ducks tonight, seems like a trap game for Anaheim to me.

Haven't had to worry about any of those trap games yet. :lol Actually, losing to Toronto last night probably counts.

We really need Brad Malone (our enforcer) back from injury. I feel like a good fight would have mobilized the team in a few of these 3rd period when they get lazy and throw the game away.

dmbetc 02-26-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16301732)

I would take him back in LA

Regarding Scuderi...guess I get him back!!

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c33dmb (Post 16315839)
Haven't had to worry about any of those trap games yet. :lol Actually, losing to Toronto last night probably counts.

We really need Brad Malone (our enforcer) back from injury. I feel like a good fight would have mobilized the team in a few of these 3rd period when they get lazy and throw the game away.

Yeah, loosing to the Leafs this season definitely qualifies as a WTF game, they are THAT bad.

Malone will help you eat minutes but unless he somehow gets better he just is not that good of a player skillwise. Yeah, he is an enforcer and I know all teams need them to an extent but they are not as valuable as they used to be (aka Jari Kurri) at all. That said I am happy with the Hawks landing Ladd because he gives them a more physical game to compliment their skill level - basically before this trade it was Shaw and Mashinter (to a lesser extent Seabrook and Rozsival)who provided protection for the skill guys.

fonzz41 02-26-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c33dmb (Post 16315839)
Thanks, #1 thing I've learned so far is that hockey people are good people :hug

Meant to reply to your longer post from a while back about the Canes d-men. Totally agree that they've done a tremendous job establishing themselves there. Faulk is already a #1 guy, and Hanifin needs maybe another couple seasons to really settle in (not uncommon for teenage d-men in the NHL), but the skill level is definitely there. Pesce is who's surprised me the most. That guy came out of nowhere it seems like, and has been quite the revelation.

So many teams struggle in developing defensemen, but the Canes seem to have that down.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16315906)
Malone will help you eat minutes but unless he somehow gets better he just is not that good of a player skillwise. Yeah, he is an enforcer and I know all teams need them to an extent but they are not as valuable as they used to be (aka Jari Kurri) at all. That said I am happy with the Hawks landing Ladd because he gives them a more physical game to compliment their skill level - basically before this trade it was Shaw and Mashinter (to a lesser extent Seabrook and Rozsival)who provided protection for the skill guys.

To the bolded, I think you mean someone else? Maybe Marty McSorley?

But your point is well taken, and something we've discussed here before I think. The idea of a player on the roster JUST to fight is a thing of the past. Guys are counted on to play a role, as well as stick up for each other physically. On the Avs, it's Cody McLeod, who logs regular time on the 3rd/4th line, has 7 goals on the season (not bad for his role), and is a regular on the Avs' PK. Oh yeah, he's up there in fighting majors too. Hell, I think Iginla is second on the team in fights. The days of the "enforcer" are all but gone in the NHL, with it only being a role guys take on when they feel it's necessary.

lockman21 02-26-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16315860)

lololol enjoy

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16315860)

Enjoy watching him ride the bench, he is a 'break glass during emergency' guy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16315934)
To the bolded, I think you mean someone else? Maybe Marty McSorley?

You are 100% correct, that is exactly who I meant. I should have googled it.

Also, I cannot stand McLeod, if he was just an enforcer I wouldn't mind but he is a dirty player in general who takes stupid penalties that cost his team.

dmbetc 02-26-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16315947)
lololol enjoy

I will dammit!

lockman21 02-26-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16315980)
Enjoy watching him ride the bench, he is a 'break glass during emergency' guy!

He's "open in case of emergency but do so very carefully as his legs and body are all really old and fragile" guy.

SirBobalew 02-26-2016 03:32 PM

Holtbeast action figure night here at Verizon tonight. http://m.imgur.com/MyKBXIj

barbogast 02-26-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16316000)
Holtbeast action figure night here at Verizon tonight. http://m.imgur.com/MyKBXIj

Any extras can be sent my way

fonzz41 02-26-2016 05:36 PM

You know who still looks really good? Val Kamensky. Guy is still shifty as hell.

But it is pretty hilarious watching these guys. Nostalgic too. Love watching it with my kids.

barbogast 02-26-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16316074)
You know who still looks really good? Val Kamensky. Guy is still shifty as hell.

But it is pretty hilarious watching these guys. Nostalgic too. Love watching it with my kids.

:thumbsup awesome

DMBZeppelin 02-26-2016 06:55 PM

Bowman never quits.

DMBZeppelin 02-26-2016 07:04 PM

Since no one has posted it:

Blackhawks get Tomas Fleischmann and Dale Weise from the Canadiens in exchange for Phillip Danault and CHI's 2018 2nd round pick. Somehow Bryan Bickell is still here.

lockman21 02-26-2016 07:05 PM

lol bowman is playing NHL 16 at this point

lockman21 02-26-2016 07:06 PM

I just traded Ville Pokka for Keith Yandle in NHL 16, why doesn't Stan do that while he's at it?

kthnx

DMBZeppelin 02-26-2016 07:11 PM

Who knows if Stan is even done. Can Hossa just stay on IR until the playoffs? That free up some cap space.

~Crashintome89~ 02-26-2016 07:11 PM

:lol @ Jari Kurri being an enforcer.

NHL 14 is ridiculous. I traded Coburn and a 1st for Aaron Ekblad. Claude Giroux for Connor McDavid, and picked up Ekman-Larsson off of waivers.

lockman21 02-26-2016 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16316126)
Who knows if Stan is even done. Can Hossa just stay on IR until the playoffs? That free up some cap space.

Hossa isn't on LTIR, so it doesn't have any impact on the cap. Regular IR has no cap implications. He's actually supposed to be back against Minny or Dallas anyway.

I don't think Stan is done. I still think Hamhuis ends up in Chicago, and Bickell and Pokka get moved to make that happen. Hawks retain 50% of Bickell or something.

DMBZeppelin 02-26-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16316131)
Hossa isn't on LTIR, so it doesn't have any impact on the cap. Regular IR has no cap implications. He's actually supposed to be back against Minny or Dallas anyway.

I get that.

But if his ankle suddenly "swelled up" and they could put him on LTIR then it be good news for the Hawks. I was only being half serious, but last year it was the Kane injury that allowed them to get Vermette.

~Crashintome89~ 02-26-2016 07:50 PM

You just can' throw someone on LTIR. They have to be legitimately hurt and for a long period of time.

lockman21 02-26-2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16316135)
I get that.

But if his ankle suddenly "swelled up" and they could put him on LTIR then it be good news for the Hawks. I was only being half serious, but last year it was the Kane injury that allowed them to get Vermette.

I mean, Kane broke his collarbone. They may have held him out an extra couple games, but not an extra couple months. :lol

dmbetc 02-26-2016 10:55 PM

I hate that I'm anout to post a Ducks hightlight but this is just too nice

https://instagram.com/p/BCR00aAKH94/

kev87lads 02-27-2016 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16316211)

Oh my...

barbogast 02-27-2016 07:56 AM

I feel bad complaining but the Caps have been kinda terrible the past couple weeks. They still find ways to win most nights but they're playing like shit for about 40 minutes right now. Holtby's been much more human lately.

coldengrey12 02-27-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16316074)

Super Joe's wrister is still deadly. That was a sniper.

salrx95 02-27-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16316211)

An oilers defenseman undressed. Never see that.

Welcome Canes fan...still miss them here in Ct.

Sorry I haven't been around much. Work life has gotten complicated and life's been busy but still dvr'ing and watching every game. I also been playing a lot of hockey on Fan Duel so that takes up my spare time.

Isles are quietly putting things together. Now 5th in goal differential , 6th in goals per game, 8th in g against and both our G have a save % over 920.

barbogast 02-27-2016 11:09 AM

Caps just waived Brooks Laich

See ya

barbogast 02-27-2016 11:13 AM

Also John Carlson was just put on LTIR. Clearing space to add, sounds like

fonzz41 02-27-2016 11:31 AM

Reimer to SJ for Stalock. Other pieces involved.

Good for Reimer. He's still got lots of upside and I have a feeling getting out from under the Toronto microscope will be good for him.

barbogast 02-27-2016 11:36 AM

Someone take Brooks Laich. Come on. One you teams out there be foolish enough. You know you want this handsomeness on your team.

https://novacapsfans.files.wordpress...oks_laich1.jpg

Roose13 02-27-2016 11:39 AM

I remember years ago I saw a classy Flyers fan wearing a shirt that read "Ovechkin Laich's Semin." Every time I hear Laich's name I think of that shirt.

JRS1386 02-27-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16316376)
I remember years ago I saw a classy Flyers fan wearing a shirt that read "Ovechkin Laich's Semin." Every time I hear Laich's name I think of that shirt.

A bit redundant don't you think

lockman21 02-27-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16316372)
Reimer to SJ for Stalock. Other pieces involved.

Good for Reimer. He's still got lots of upside and I have a feeling getting out from under the Toronto microscope will be good for him.

Agreed. Feel great for his wife, too. She was receiving death threats for her husband's play.

Also, Jeremy Morin and Ben Smith included in that trade. Hawks players moving all over the place this deadline.

barbogast 02-27-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16316393)
Agreed. Feel great for his wife, too. She was receiving death threats for her husband's play.

Also, Jeremy Morin and Ben Smith included in that trade. Hawks players moving all over the place this deadline.

Seriously?? Canadians, man.

Just googled. Wow. Stems from the '13 playoff melt. I had no idea that happened, and that's unreal.

lockman21 02-27-2016 12:15 PM

Honestly think we'll see Bickell moved to the Leafs or Sabres. Sabres have so much cap space, could use a veteran that has won multiple Cups, and want more/better draft picks. Wouldn't be surprised to see something like that happen and then the Hawks pick up Hamhuis.

lockman21 02-27-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16316414)
Seriously?? Canadians, man.

Just googled. Wow. Stems from the '13 playoff melt. I had no idea that happened, and that's unreal.

Yeah, it got really nasty.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle22372952/

So fucking ridiculous. Everyone needs to take a step back every now and then and realize that it's just a game. It's only hockey. Sending threats to someone's wife is inhumane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

fonzz41 02-27-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Yeah dude. Great all around for the Reimers. Happy for them.

Also Hudler to FLA for a 2nd and 4th. Real nice acquisition for them. Just what they need IMO. They've done a good job surrounding their youngsters with really savvy vets.

Lcsulla 02-27-2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16316418)
Honestly think we'll see Bickell moved to the Leafs or Sabres. Sabres have so much cap space, could use a veteran that has won multiple Cups, and want more/better draft picks. Wouldn't be surprised to see something like that happen and then the Hawks pick up Hamhuis.

I would love to see this happen but cannot figure out who would want such a worthless player. All he brings to the table is experience and a little physical play - if he is on the ice. Talk about a 4 mil mistake.....

unccrombie 02-27-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

yeah, i remember this. absurd stuff.

mr.MikeD 02-27-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16316354)
An oilers defenseman undressed. Never see that

To be a little fair draisaitl is a forward playing D 3 on3 . But still...

fonzz41 02-27-2016 01:17 PM

Tallon channeling his inner Bowman. FLA acquires Purcell and Kindl, plus Hudler from earlier.

TMoore4075 02-27-2016 01:38 PM

Thanks Tallon for taking Kindl. You are good at taking crap contracts. Wings don't get much relief now but do next year.

lockman21 02-27-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16316439)
I would love to see this happen but cannot figure out who would want such a worthless player. All he brings to the table is experience and a little physical play - if he is on the ice. Talk about a 4 mil mistake.....

He's not THAT worthless. He is for a team like the Hawks, but teams like the Sabres could use him. I mean, they still have Marcus Foligno and Matt Moulson playing LW. And Evander Kane might be getting shipped out.

Shit, the Leafs are skating Colin Greening as their 2nd line LW. Do they have an actual NHL LW on the entire roster? Michael Grabner is their top line LW and he's normally at RW.

c33dmb 02-27-2016 01:50 PM

So, we stood in the student ticket line for about 45 minutes (which has gotten a bit more annoying on weekends lately, when I first started going it was a "walk right in, sit right down" affair") and when we got about 20 people away from the front, the usher came out and said "all upper level student tickets sold out!!!" :lol

So, we went to Cook Out, got burgers, and checked the score. 2-0 Bruins after 7 minutes. Good riddance. :lol

My only qualm was most of the people in line were wearing Bruins jerseys. I suppose they were probably mostly Duke students from up north. Maybe they should charge $5 or $10 more if you aren't cheering for the right team and trying to use a discount ;)

We were talking about Malone, he just cleared waivers and is on his way to the AHL. So at least I saw some fights while I could. Trade deadline should be interesting.

JRS1386 02-27-2016 02:23 PM

Well it was nice being only a point back of the playoffs while it lasted.

barbogast 02-27-2016 02:38 PM

I just feel like it's gonna end up being Pittsburgh in the first round. That just doesn't sit well with me.

dmbetc 02-27-2016 02:40 PM

Finally making it back to Staples for the first time since before Christmas.

lockman21 02-27-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c33dmb (Post 16316472)
So, we stood in the student ticket line for about 45 minutes (which has gotten a bit more annoying on weekends lately, when I first started going it was a "walk right in, sit right down" affair") and when we got about 20 people away from the front, the usher came out and said "all upper level student tickets sold out!!!" :lol

So, we went to Cook Out, got burgers, and checked the score. 2-0 Bruins after 7 minutes. Good riddance. :lol

My only qualm was most of the people in line were wearing Bruins jerseys. I suppose they were probably mostly Duke students from up north. Maybe they should charge $5 or $10 more if you aren't cheering for the right team and trying to use a discount ;)

We were talking about Malone, he just cleared waivers and is on his way to the AHL. So at least I saw some fights while I could. Trade deadline should be interesting.

I used to go with my buddies in college (around 2008) to Hawks games for $7 student tickets and now I can't buy an upper deck last row seat for less than $175.

salrx95 02-27-2016 04:17 PM

Back in the mid 90s, I'd go to islanders games all the time because we got half off with our college ID so we'd buy the cheap $15 nosebleed seats and then go sit wherever we could. Cost almost as much to park. Of course, we also pre gamed often just down the block Hooters. Good times.

swordo84 02-27-2016 06:00 PM

Both of the unis in the stadium game are brutal.

TMoore4075 02-28-2016 04:06 AM

Suck it Matty. That is all.

Dramageek 02-28-2016 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16316517)
I just feel like it's gonna end up being Pittsburgh in the first round. That just doesn't sit well with me.

It's looking to be that way unless they break out of the 8 seed. Dropping the game to them on Tuesday will help that process along ;)

unccrombie 02-28-2016 07:30 AM

have to think the Rangers stole one in Dallas. The Dallas goal that was disallowed was probably a goal :lol

coldengrey12 02-28-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16316789)

Congrats to the Wings. The wrong team scored with a minute remaining, but it was a great experience to watch an NHL game outdoors with 50,000 people.

TMoore4075 02-28-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 16317047)
Congrats to the Wings. The wrong team scored with a minute remaining, but it was a great experience to watch an NHL game outdoors with 50,000 people.

In the ugliest jerseys ever. Hell of a play by Kronwall to keep it in.

Deadline tomorrow. Probably gonna be boring after all the moves the last few day.

fonzz41 02-28-2016 10:42 AM

Looks like Staal is on his way to NYR. Mckenzie reporting he's waived his NTC.

TMoore4075 02-28-2016 10:42 AM

Staal could be going to the Rangers? They keep trying don't they?

TMoore4075 02-28-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16317215)
Looks like Staal is on his way to NYR. Mckenzie reporting he's waived his NTC.

Wow we weren't looking at the same stuff were we?

fonzz41 02-28-2016 10:44 AM

Dreger: Staal to NYR for two 2nd round picks and prospect Saarela.

lockman21 02-28-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16317221)
Dreger: Staal to NYR for two 2nd round picks and prospect Saarela.

Seems like a pretty fair price. Good for both sides. Wonder how much salary had to be retained for that?

fonzz41 02-28-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16317237)
Seems like a pretty fair price. Good for both sides. Wonder how much salary had to be retained for that?

Lebrun is saying 50%

lockman21 02-28-2016 10:57 AM

This is a great fucking game on NBC right now, btw. If you're not watching it, you all should.

TMoore4075 02-28-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16317238)
Lebrun is saying 50%

That's the only way they could take on his contract.

lockman21 02-28-2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16317238)
Lebrun is saying 50%

Seems about right. Good deal for both sides, I think. Fills a big hole for the Rags. Eric Staal obviously isn't what he once was, but he's still a great 3C for the Rags, and maybe he'll even have a resurgence playing with his brother Marc and for a Stanley Cup contender.

This lets the Rags move Kevin Hayes to the third line RW, and can move Viktor Stahlberg down to the 4th line. They're so much better balanced now, especially when Rick Nash comes back. Great trade for them.

lockman21 02-28-2016 11:23 AM

No player I like watching more than Duncan Keith. Dude is the best defenseman in the game.

lockman21 02-28-2016 11:58 AM

What a great game. That was a lot of fun. Scary thing for the rest of the NHL, that forward group from Chicago will be adding Marian Hossa back and Dale Weise very shortly. Bowman has assembled a ridiculously scary group of forwards.

If we could find a way to still add Dan Hamhuis...wow.

TMoore4075 02-28-2016 12:01 PM

Well, with 21 games to go Caps would need to go 18-3 to beat the Wings record. Hey gotta take what I can.

barbogast 02-28-2016 12:16 PM

Didn't watch the game, busy today. Just saw they lost. Meh. Glad to hear it was a fun game as I plan to probably still watch it later.

And Lockman, I want Hamhuis. Back off bro.

fonzz41 02-28-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 16316352)
Super Joe's wrister is still deadly. That was a sniper.

That was vintage Joe. So fun to watch all of that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16316627)
Both of the unis in the stadium game are brutal.

Agreed. I give a slight nod to detroit's, but that's not saying much. I DID like both of the jackets the coaches had.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16316789)

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 16317047)

Yeah, sucked to see it end that way. But overall, a tremendously positive weekend all around. Great game, both teams played well. Was hoping to see more from Landy and Datsyuk almost scrapping. :lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16317219)
Wow we weren't looking at the same stuff were we?

:lol I made a Twitter list of all the heavy NHL insiders, and I just kept refreshing that. I was in church, so what else was i gonna do?
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16317257)
Seems about right. Good deal for both sides, I think. Fills a big hole for the Rags. Eric Staal obviously isn't what he once was, but he's still a great 3C for the Rags, and maybe he'll even have a resurgence playing with his brother Marc and for a Stanley Cup contender.

This lets the Rags move Kevin Hayes to the third line RW, and can move Viktor Stahlberg down to the 4th line. They're so much better balanced now, especially when Rick Nash comes back. Great trade for them.

Agree about balance, and I hope this reenergizes Eric. But from the Rangers side, it just feels like more of the same. Another trade deadline, another big pickup, and another playoff exit. We'll see, I guess.

lockman21 02-28-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16317306)
Agree about balance, and I hope this reenergizes Eric. But from the Rangers side, it just feels like more of the same. Another trade deadline, another big pickup, and another playoff exit. We'll see, I guess.

I mean, what's the alternative though? They really didn't have a choice. They can't be sellers, and their roster needed another center. Staying stagnant is just a waste. They have one of the best goaltenders in the history of the game that has given all he can to the franchise, you gotta try and win it now.

Staal can, if he finds his game, be a 1C, if not he's a great 3C. If they can keep using Yandle better, Rick Nash is supposed to be back soon-ish...they have as good a chance to knock off the Caps as anyone.

lockman21 02-28-2016 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16317305)
Didn't watch the game, busy today. Just saw they lost. Meh. Glad to hear it was a fun game as I plan to probably still watch it later.

It was a good game. Two obviously very good teams. Only real big mistake was by the Washington defense leaving #88 all alone with Holtby. You can't let that guy be that wide open in the offensive zone. Stay behind him.

Lcsulla 02-28-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16317241)
This is a great fucking game on NBC right now, btw. If you're not watching it, you all should.

Yeah, helluva game, stressful as hell but but damn fun to watch!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16317273)
No player I like watching more than Duncan Keith. Dude is the best defenseman in the game.

Agreed, between him and Seabrook I am not sure any team has two D man that are in their league.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16317293)
What a great game. That was a lot of fun. Scary thing for the rest of the NHL, that forward group from Chicago will be adding Marian Hossa back and Dale Weise very shortly. Bowman has assembled a ridiculously scary group of forwards.

Yeah, the collection of forewords who can beat you with skill and finesse Bowman has collected is simply amazing!

Quote:

Definitely worth watching, two great teams battling it out. You won't like the outcome but it was still a great game!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16317357)
It was a good game. Two obviously very good teams. Only real big mistake was by the Washington defense leaving #88 all alone with Holtby. You can't let that guy be that wide open in the offensive zone. Stay behind him.

Yeah leaving him that much space is inviting disaster even when he has no space and they triple cover him his passing is amazing. Most recent example of his passing skill is that saucer pass across the ice that Panarin slammed home on a one timer. I also like that he has matured into a two way player, dude just does everything right!

lockman21 02-28-2016 04:00 PM

Shocker! Rinaldo with a dirty hit! Wow, would have never seen that coming!

Guy is such a POS.

TMoore4075 02-28-2016 04:23 PM

I'm in a no win situation tonight. Just don't go to OT Tampa fna Boston.

~Crashintome89~ 02-28-2016 04:23 PM

and we got a third rounder for him.

Ron Sextall.

JRS1386 02-28-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16317463)

Ron Sextall.

That still blows my mind

lockman21 02-28-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16317463)

Ron Sextall.

Yeah, that trade still baffles me.

lockman21 02-28-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Sorry, dawg.

https://twitter.com/ESPN_Burnside/st...72754203631616

barbogast 02-28-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16317493)

Meh what the hell does Burnside know (a lot I'm sure)

I do think the Caps could really use him.

barbogast 02-28-2016 05:33 PM

Also pretty sweet icing right before the Hawks scored that GWG today. Dope.

Tiduwho 02-28-2016 05:36 PM

You guys won't even fooch the BlackHawks bros anymore wow lol.

Brohan_Santana 02-28-2016 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16317293)
If we could find a way to still add Dan Hamhuis...wow.

Won't waive NTC to go to Chicago I'm seeing

lockman21 02-28-2016 06:35 PM

I don't wanna have to root against Versteeg :(

Lcsulla 02-28-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16317526)
Also pretty sweet icing right before the Hawks scored that GWG today. Dope.

By no means am I trying to rub it it but that was an unforced, inexcusable mental error that cost the Caps at least a point. Admittedly, Rasmussen still had put the puck in the net but that icing blunder was every bit as detrimental to the Caps as leaving Kane about an acre of open ice to tee up his shot a minute after Washington scored the first goal!

c33dmb 02-28-2016 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16316559)
I used to go with my buddies in college (around 2008) to Hawks games for $7 student tickets and now I can't buy an upper deck last row seat for less than $175.

Oh, I realize how fortunate I am to have a cheap activity. It all started because I didn't have squat to do on the weekends and it escalated really quickly. That $235 jersey, while possibly the coolest thing I own, put a dent in the "cheapness" of it though. :lol

On the topic of Staal, at first glance it kinda seemed like we got the shaft, especially retaining 50% of his salary, but then again I know nothing about player worth other than NHL 16 ratings...

All I know is that apparently we have the future of Finnish hockey in our system with this new Saarela guy and Sebastian Aho, so I better be seeing Finland on some medal podiums in the future or things may not be sterling here.

fonzz41 02-28-2016 09:01 PM

So Toronto loses Elisha Cuthbert, but gains Julianne Hough.

Barbs and Bob, you gain a serviceable bottom liner in Winnik. Skill set is not unlike Laich's. Gritty and works hard in the corners.

lockman21 02-28-2016 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16317591)
Won't waive NTC to go to Chicago I'm seeing

Not quite.

https://twitter.com/sportsnetspec/st...99737889157122

He's been asked to waive it for Chicago, but that doesn't mean a deal is done. Could still be some work being done by the GMs to finalize before tomorrow.

lockman21 02-28-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16317903)
So Toronto loses Elisha Cuthbert, but gains Julianne Hough.

Barbs and Bob, you gain a serviceable bottom liner in Winnik. Skill set is not unlike Laich's. Gritty and works hard in the corners.

Poor Laich. Dude's been there for years. Longest tenured athlete in DC gets dealt when they have the best chance to win the Cup.

fonzz41 02-28-2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16317343)
I mean, what's the alternative though? They really didn't have a choice. They can't be sellers, and their roster needed another center. Staying stagnant is just a waste. They have one of the best goaltenders in the history of the game that has given all he can to the franchise, you gotta try and win it now.

Staal is a world class talent and I'm a fan who wants to see him succeed. I'm not saying they shouldn't have made the deal, I'm just saying it's all in line with the pattern the Rangers have established over the last how many years. I understand the pressure they're feeling as the Hank window slowly starts to close. Of all the guys in the league who I want to see get a Cup, he's right at the top with Iggy and Doan.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16317950)
Poor Laich. Dude's been there for years. Longest tenured athlete in DC gets dealt when they have the best chance to win the Cup.

Yeah. After all that time, to get waived and then traded to the LEAFS... Sucks.

barbogast 02-29-2016 03:25 AM

Holy shit they dealt Laich. Fucking of course of the Maple Laughs took him.

I do kinda feel bad considering how long he's been here, but I've been fairly outspoken in my distaste for his play for the past couple seasons.

And quite frankly, I don't care if it's an entire team of antelopes out there. I just want the guys in Caps jerseys to win the Cup. Don't care who's in them. This improves the team. Sorry Brooks.

SirBobalew 02-29-2016 04:55 AM

Yeah, I'll miss Laich, but it was time. Gotta think this move was in anticipation of something more, since it opens up $2 million in cap space.

TMoore4075 02-29-2016 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c33dmb (Post 16317630)
Oh, I realize how fortunate I am to have a cheap activity. It all started because I didn't have squat to do on the weekends and it escalated really quickly. That $235 jersey, while possibly the coolest thing I own, put a dent in the "cheapness" of it though. :lol

On the topic of Staal, at first glance it kinda seemed like we got the shaft, especially retaining 50% of his salary, but then again I know nothing about player worth other than NHL 16 ratings...

All I know is that apparently we have the future of Finnish hockey in our system with this new Saarela guy and Sebastian Aho, so I better be seeing Finland on some medal podiums in the future or things may not be sterling here.

They got the best deal they could. With a no trade clause, Staal had all the power and said he only wanted to go to New York. So the only option was take the best deal NYR could give, or keep him and then probably lose him this summer for nothing. Also taking 50% was the only way the Rangers could get him under the cap.

So in years past, I usually have the deadline on in the background at work. This year is probably gonna be the most boring so will just check on twitter every little while.

TMoore4075 02-29-2016 05:11 AM

I guess the best thing for my team happened. A regulation win for Tampa which keeps the Wings within a point of Boston and a game in hand. I still find myself checking the teams outside of the playoffs looking in. Up 6 on Philly and Jersey and 7 on the Sens. The way they are playing, they aren't getting out of round 1 but I want the 25th straight year. If you are going to miss the playoffs, don't do it by a point or two. You want to be getting better picks if you miss. Difference between 14 and 16 isn't much at all.

SirBobalew 02-29-2016 08:09 AM

Deadline morning has been sooooooo slow.

TMoore4075 02-29-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16318295)
Deadline morning has been sooooooo slow.

Not all surprised with all the stuff that was going on over the weekend and the lack of good players available anyways. Fucking salary cap and competitive balance. lol Well, except the Leafs, Coyotes and Oilers.