Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 02-04-2015 02:01 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803834)
Let's Go Islanders!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803835)
Let's Go Predators!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803837)
Let's Go Lightning!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803838)
Let's Go Penguins!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803839)
Let's Go Stars!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803841)
Let's Go Flames!!

Oh wait, I can't say this because I'm an Avs fan. My bad, guys.

rickyh24 02-04-2015 02:12 PM

The NHL Thread

Yikes. Not the melt we were going for but we will take it.

pathetic 02-04-2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15803854)
Yikes. Not the melt we were going for but we will take it.

I guess I don't post in here enough to keep up with everyone's multiple favorite teams.

not surprised my serious question resulted in quite the melt though

fonzz41 02-04-2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 15803871)
I guess I don't post in here enough to keep up with everyone's multiple favorite teams.

not surprised my serious question resulted in quite the melt though

:lol glad I could oblige. But nah, It's more of just an ongoing joke as Sarah likes the Rangers (her home team) and the Kings (where her boy plays). She takes the chirps in stride. :thumbsup

aeroshady 02-04-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803883)
:lol glad I could oblige. But nah, It's more of just an ongoing joke as Sarah likes the Rangers (her home team) and the Kings (where her boy plays). She takes the chirps in stride. :thumbsup

It is unfortunate that the two teams met last year. That said, true feelings come out when you are forced to make a decision like that. Doesn't mean one can't still like a team. However, once the choice is made one is no longer a "fan" of the team they rooted against. The term fan is short for fanatic, which would imply being so crazy for that team that you would even root against a friend playing for an opposing team. Sarah's choice was not to do that last year and thus turned in her Rangers "fan" card. Not saying that was a bad choice or even the wrong one. Nor am I saying she can't still have a liking for the Rangers. I am saying she can not call her self a "fan" of the NY Rangers anymore.

I am the same way with the Bruins. I lived 3 minutes walking form TD Garden. Hard not to like a team you watch live almost every week! That said, when the Rangers came to town I knew where I stood. At the end of the day I am a Rangers fan first.

As for tonight: Hank is out with injury to the neck apparently. I hope Cam can get it done and keep it rolling for NY! We have a great chance to catch up to the teams ahead. That said, next few games will be hard.

dmbetc 02-04-2015 03:20 PM

Guess I'll go burn my Rangers jerseys!

rickyh24 02-04-2015 03:31 PM

My brother could be on the Rangers. Would still pull for the Bruins tonight.

fonzz41 02-04-2015 03:53 PM

I would too, if it was your brother.

jackisback24 02-04-2015 05:41 PM

Nash has 32 goals already? Go Bruins!

fonzz41 02-04-2015 11:00 PM

John Scott scores again!?

Most underrated offseason signing?

dmb9howell 02-04-2015 11:07 PM

The Bruins should be better.

aeroshady 02-05-2015 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15803922)
Guess I'll go burn my Rangers jerseys!

If I didn't burn my Kings jersey after last year I think you are good to not burn your Rangers jerseys ;)

Also, my comment was not meant to be as harsh as it reads (now that I back read it lol).

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 06:06 AM

Penguins stink

~Crashintome89~ 02-05-2015 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803834)
Let's Go Islanders!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803835)
Let's Go Predators!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803837)
Let's Go Lightning!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803838)
Let's Go Penguins!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803839)
Let's Go Stars!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803841)
Let's Go Flames!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15803842)
Oh wait, I can't say this because I'm an Avs fan. My bad, guys.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Wow. Putting Sarah on blast like that. And from you, Matty. Wow.

dmbetc 02-05-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15804440)
If I didn't burn my Kings jersey after last year I think you are good to not burn your Rangers jerseys ;)

Also, my comment was not meant to be as harsh as it reads (now that I back read it lol).

Would never burn my Rangers jerserys. Great game last night!

pathetic 02-05-2015 07:31 AM

Pastrnak is going to be so good. I hope he keeps #88

unccrombie 02-05-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15767438)
I thought the Rangers were good?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15804667)

yeah, love when ricky has to eat words.

rickyh24 02-05-2015 08:41 AM

Rangers had to beat the Bruins eventually. Can't win them all. Still riding high from a Super Bowl win though. Not going to get too down on a regular season NHL loss right now.

aeroshady 02-05-2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15804667)

Yup :thumbsup

aeroshady 02-05-2015 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15804873)
Rangers had to beat the Bruins eventually. Can't win them all. Still riding high from a Super Bowl win though. Not going to get too down on a regular season NHL loss right now.

If I am a Bruins fan I am not to worried about it either. I like what I have seen from the B's over the last few weeks.

That said, big win for NY last night over a Boston team that has been playing very well. Rangers are closing in on that top spot. If they win those games at hand they are 1st.

I believe this team is a move or two away from being a legit Cup contender. I am still worried about how we size up (physically) against the west.

Areas that need improving are:
1) face-offs
2) Size for a playoff run.

Last year I felt we got beat on just not being able to physically compete with the King's size up front. I would really like to see us bring in some Boyle like players for the run. Not sure what we can do with the Cap space though. As for the face-offs...this is probably where the Rangers feel the loss of Richards the most. We don't really have a good option in the circle right now.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 08:54 AM

Rangers are already Cup contenders, they are defending conference champs

it's going to be hard at the deadline to make a splash deal since there are a lot of teams who feel like they're "one move away..."

these last 30 games are going to be really fun and exciting. the metro division is unbelievably tight

unccrombie 02-05-2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15804904)

it's going to be hard at the deadline to make a splash deal since there are a lot of teams who feel like they're "one move away..."

these last 30 games are going to be really fun and exciting. the metro division is unbelievably tight

that and we have no money to spend.
need to pay zuc this year

aeroshady 02-05-2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

I believe they are already Cup Final contenders for sure. I am not sure about Cup winning though. Last year's finals really were eye opening for me. The west has both talent and size. East has talent but are very behind in the physical aspect.

Boston is the closest team with size. NY's best chance is that they are a very fast paced team. The west may struggle with NY's speed of play a bit. In the playoffs though, physical play is a major advantage if you can dominate it. That is why I would be most concerned with playing the Bruins in the east and I am concerned with playing most of the teams in the west.

~Crashintome89~ 02-05-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

I hope a lot of teams think they are one move away, it gives me hope that the Flyers can unload Grossmann and Coburn.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15804912)
that and we have no money to spend.
need to pay zuc this year

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15804914)
I believe they are already Cup Final contenders for sure. I am not sure about Cup winning though. Last year's finals really were eye opening for me. The west has both talent and size. East has talent but are very behind in the physical aspect.

Boston is the closest team with size. NY's best chance is that they are a very fast paced team. The west may struggle with NY's speed of play a bit. In the playoffs though, physical play is a major advantage if you can dominate it. That is why I would be most concerned with playing the Bruins in the east and I am concerned with playing most of the teams in the west.

yea but the East v. West thing gets thrown out in the Cup Finals. sure, the Rangers got out-physicaled last year, but honestly, they lost because the Kings were a much better team top to bottom, including in net (sorry Hank lovers)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15804921)
I hope a lot of teams think they are one move away, it gives me hope that the Flyers can unload Grossmann and Coburn.

yea especially Grossmann, he's kind of useless back there

and the blue line used to be a strength of the Flyers not too long ago

fonzz41 02-05-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15804466)
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Wow. Putting Sarah on blast like that. And from you, Matty. Wow.

:lol My intent was two-fold:
1) To stick up for Sarah (as if she really needed/wanted it)
2) Keep the "you can only cheer for one team" joke alive... we are joking about it............................right?.............. ................ RIGHT?
Anyways, glad it caused a couple giggles.

Quote:

I didn't think it was harsh at all and brought up some good points about the meaning of a "fan" and making distinctions.

I'm not a "fanatic" of a team like the Predators. But I like them enough that as long as they're not playing the Avs, I'll probably root for them to win. I guess that doesn't make me a "fan" in the truest sense of the word, but I still like them. I think that's to your point.

And to the point that I get a ginormous tent pole for Shea Weber.

socopithy 02-05-2015 09:09 AM

33-17-1 tonight. Let's get it done. #phuckphilly

Do it Isles!

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15804933)
yea but the East v. West thing gets thrown out in the Cup Finals. sure, the Rangers got out-physicaled last year, but honestly, they lost because the Kings were a much better team top to bottom, including in net (sorry Hank lovers)

yea especially Grossmann, he's kind of useless back there

and the blue line used to be a strength of the Flyers not too long ago

The bold is not even remotely true....

As far as the rest of it goes, I don't believe the Kings were all that much better than NY. To me it was pretty much watching two teams with that were very close in the amount of talent but one team had a size advantage in every aspect. Also, the series was closer than it looks on paper. Games 1, 2 & 5 could have easily gone to NY (Game 1 should have if not for a shitty call).

Roose13 02-05-2015 09:18 AM

Quote:

Yea it was pretty fucking harsh :lol:lol Loosen the death grip!

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15804954)
The bold is not even remotely true....

As far as the rest of it goes, I don't believe the Kings were all that much better than NY. To me it was pretty much watching two teams with that were very close in the amount of talent but one team had a size advantage in every aspect. Also, the series was closer than it looks on paper. Games 1, 2 & 5 could have easily gone to NY (Game 1 should have if not for a shitty call).

disagree but it's just opinion

i take Quick over Hank 10 times out of 10

and that's not taking anything away from Hank, he's really good

Roose13 02-05-2015 09:20 AM

Also, that pretty much sums up my feelings in baseball. I'm a Phillies fan. I'm diehard. I love this team despite being a steaming pile of hot garbage right now. But I just like the O's. Liked them since I was a little kid and my family would go to Baltimore in the summer. Loved Cal.

socopithy 02-05-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15804968)
Also, that pretty much sums up my feelings in baseball. I'm a Phillies fan. I'm diehard. I love this team despite being a steaming pile of hot garbage right now. But I just like the O's.

Garbage? They're too young to be garbage.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:23 AM

no, they're garbage

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15804968)
Also, that pretty much sums up my feelings in baseball. I'm a Phillies fan. I'm diehard. I love this team despite being a steaming pile of hot garbage right now. But I just like the O's. Liked them since I was a little kid and my family would go to Baltimore in the summer. Loved Cal.

Was a Mets fan as a kid, but I never really liked baseball. In the late 90's I went to Boston and fell in love with that team and city (hence me moving there for a while for school). The Red Sox made me passionate about the sport. I used to say I was a "fan" of the Mets and Red Sox and tried to justify this by saying one was NL and one was AL. One day my friend put it to me and asked who I would want to win a World Series between the two. It made it clear for me that I was a Red Sox fan. Despite liking the Mets first, I love the Red Sox and it would not even be close for me. I still like the Mets and would gladly root for them against anyone else. I am a Red Sox "fan" tough.

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15804966)

I am guessing that there is some divisional bias/rivalry here because you are a Pen's fan.

It just like how I would take Nash over Crosby and St. Louis over Malkin 10 out of 10 times.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15805006)
I am guessing that there is some divisional bias/rivalry here because you are a Pen's fan.

It just like how I would take Nash over Crosby and St. Louis over Malkin 10 out of 10 times.

no, it's not like that at all

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15805020)
no, it's not like that at all

Not sure we watched the same series last year then. :rolleyes

lockman21 02-05-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15804966)

That's just dumb.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15805024)
Not sure we watched the same series last year then. :rolleyes

has to do with more than just last year

the talent level of the goalies we're talking about are basically identical. i would take Quick because i've seen him win 2 Cups and make huge saves at huge times in the playoffs.

saying its the same as taking St. Louis over Crosby or Malkin is LOL funny and dumb

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15805039)
That's just dumb.

why is opinion dumb?

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15805041)
has to do with more than just last year

the talent level of the goalies we're talking about are basically identical. i would take Quick because i've seen him win 2 Cups and make huge saves at huge times in the playoffs.

saying its the same as taking St. Louis over Crosby or Malkin is LOL funny and dumb

Both are dumb, that was my point.

Taking Quick because he has won two cups if unfair to Hank. The Kings have been a better team for longer than NY. They have the talent and the size. The Rangers not winning the Cup has never been because of Hank. He was the only reason they made the ECF in 2012. Can't really say the same about Quick who has been both great and had a complete team. Your argument would be like if I said I would take Hank because he has Olympic gold and Quick doesn't....

They are both amazing goalies. Saying either one is 10 out of 10 times better is false either way you go. It is really more of a season by season decision unless there is "fan" bias involved. Thus my previous conclusion about your statement.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:50 AM

they are not both dumb

Quick & Hank have comparable talent levels, my eye test would have me take Quick over Hank...that's just me

Rick Nash & Sidney Crosby do not have comparable talent levels. St. Louis & Malkin do not have comparable talent levels

see the difference? has nothing to do with me being a Penguins fan, not sure why u keep bringing that up

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:51 AM

i already gave Hank some love, he's great...but me, personally, would take Quick over Hank if i had to choose

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15805069)
i already gave Hank some love, he's great...but me, personally, would take Quick over Hank if i had to choose

I actually do think I would take St. Louis over Malkin....but that is just me and I have not looked up stats for any backing on the opinion.

Where I think we have issue with your comment is that you said you would take Quick over Hank 10 out of 10 times and then didn't provide any statistical analysis to back up your reasoning. So it does come down to who you just like more.

The stats back up Hank last year and anyone who has watched NY in the playoffs knows that Hank is a large reason (and some seasons has been the only reason) NY has even won games in the post season. So he obviously makes huge saves in the playoffs too.

I take no issue with you just having a personal liking of Quick over Hank. I do however contest any argument that Quick is 10 out of 10 times better based on performance.

lockman21 02-05-2015 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15805043)
why is opinion dumb?

The "it's an opinion" argument is always a weak one. It's like saying you'd take Clyde Drexler over Jordan and then asking why people think that opinion is stupid.

Jonathan Quick is great, no doubt...but outside his 2011-12 campaign, he's been pretty consistently hovering just short of greatness. Hank has always been one of the best in the league. Hank has been a Vezina finalist 5 times with 1 win (to Quick's 1 finalist), has 3 8+ shutout season with two in double digits (to Quick's 1), has 7 seasons with a SV% at or over.920 (to Quick's 1)...

See a pattern here? Quick has been great once.

Point being...besides Quick's 2011-12 season, he really hasn't been THAT good. He's built his reputation a lot more with his one absolutely incredible season. Hank has consistently been one of the best (if not the best) goaltenders every single year for 10 years.

lockman21 02-05-2015 10:07 AM

I mean, it can be your opinion, that's fine, just don't get upset when people call it out as being ridiculous.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 10:09 AM

The NHL Thread

Drexler over Jordan lol c'mon

Quick and Hank have identical playoff stats, which is why it does come down to personal preference. Not sure why this is an issue

There is a clear talent discrepancy between St. Louis and Malkin, between Drexler and Jordan and every other awful example given so far

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15805125)
I mean, it can be your opinion, that's fine, just don't get upset when people call it out as being ridiculous.

Still not sure how it's ridiculous

lockman21 02-05-2015 10:14 AM

Arguing with a crazy person, never a good idea.

~Crashintome89~ 02-05-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15805006)

You and the Rangers were made for one another.

Itiot.

~Crashintome89~ 02-05-2015 10:16 AM

How many Stanley Cups does Lundqvist have?

Exactly.

lockman21 02-05-2015 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15805143)
How many Stanley Cups does Lundqvist have?

Exactly.

So MAF, Crawford, Niemi, Osgood, Giguere and Cam Ward are now better than Lundqvist. Got it.

aeroshady 02-05-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15805141)

Itiot.

I was making a point about the ridiculousness of the previous comment and I used an obviously one-sided comparison. Sorry if you are ignorant and couldn't see my point. I know intelligent arguments based on stats and reasoning can be hard for Philly fans, so I am not surprised you resorted to name calling.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15805140)
Arguing with a crazy person, never a good idea.

:confused

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15805141)

Itiot.

:lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15805177)
I was making a point about the ridiculousness of the previous comment and I used an obviously one-sided comparison. Sorry if you are ignorant and couldn't see my point. I know intelligent arguments based on stats and reasoning can be hard for Philly fans, so I am not surprised you resorted to name calling.

still not sure how it's ridiculous but ok

~Crashintome89~ 02-05-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15805160)
So MAF, Crawford, Niemi, Osgood, Giguere and Cam Ward are now better than Lundqvist. Got it.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said Lundqvist was better than all the goalies you mentioned, I was only using that in the comparison with Quick.

fonzz41 02-05-2015 10:50 AM

But guys, Hank is like, REALLY hot.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15805219)

not as hot as Kris Letang, but yes, hot nonetheless

lockman21 02-05-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15805204)
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said Lundqvist was better than all the goalies you mentioned, I was only using that in the comparison with Quick.

You can't pick and choose when you use that argument. It either holds water or it doesn't.

And it doesn't.

lockman21 02-05-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15805219)

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...ltby-hair.jpeg

aeroshady 02-05-2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15805229)
You can't pick and choose when you use that argument. It either holds water or it doesn't.

And it doesn't.

:thumbsup Reading comprehension on the last page would have already pointed out why it doesn't, but I guess that is again expecting a lot.

~Crashintome89~ 02-05-2015 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15805229)

And it doesn't.

When I compare players, I look at their entire resume. I look at stats, awards, championships (both league and international).

You can say what you want, and I get it--maybe you're doing the same like me with Quick being a rival player. That said, when it comes down to the line and you need one goalie in a game 7. It's Quick.

lockman21 02-05-2015 11:13 AM

I like the Kings. I like Quick. I have no problem with them.

aeroshady 02-05-2015 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15805240)
When I compare players, I look at their entire resume. I look at stats, awards, championships (both league and international).

You can say what you want, and I get it--maybe you're doing the same like me with Quick being a rival player. That said, when it comes down to the line and you need one goalie in a game 7. It's Quick.

Since Quick has been in the league:

Quick has played in 4 game 7's winning all 4.

Lundqvist has played in 5 game 7's winning all 5.

Hank has a Gold and Silver. Quick does not.

Hank has a Vezina Trophy, Quick does not.

Stats are fun.

dmbetc 02-05-2015 11:15 AM

Quick isn't consistent but number 1 in pressure situations/big games.
Lundqvist is consistent but not as good as Quick when Quick is at his best.

kev87lads 02-05-2015 01:18 PM

I'd take Carter Hutton over both.

CrushB610 02-05-2015 04:11 PM

Kate Smith/Lauren Hart God Bless America ... that means big game in Philly tonight.

Guess they'll be doing it the rest of the season then :lol

Roose13 02-05-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socopithy (Post 15804973)
Garbage? They're too young to be garbage.

:freak:freak

Did I miss something?

Roose13 02-05-2015 05:14 PM

Kimmo Timonen is a fucking machine

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...returning.html

socopithy 02-05-2015 05:44 PM

Clutterbuck was fucking clutch right there!

Go Isles!

socopithy 02-05-2015 06:47 PM

Clutcherbuck!!!!!!!

Great game!

barbogast 02-05-2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15805257)
Since Quick has been in the league:

Quick has played in 4 game 7's winning all 4.

Lundqvist has played in 5 game 7's winning all 5.

Hank has a Gold and Silver. Quick does not.

Hank has a Vezina Trophy, Quick does not.

Stats are fun.

Ahem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=V7tg0557_os

barbogast 02-05-2015 07:45 PM

Caps win for only the second time this year after not scoring first. That's kind of amazing considering tonight was win number 27.

swordo84 02-05-2015 07:49 PM

No Evander Kane talk? Read ths to get up to speed

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/k...ith-teammates/

barbogast 02-05-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15806013)

Honestly hadn't heard about him skipping the game by his own doing until now. I heard he had been healthy scratched, but hadn't heard this. That's insane. Also didn't realize he's still only 23. He's so talented, what a shame to see him developing such an attitude problem while he's still so young. Hopefully it's just not the right fit in Winnipeg, and granted I really only see him when he plays against the Caps, but he was in the Southeast for a couple years and I was always thoroughly impressed by him every time I watched him. This is really disappointing to hear about.

aeroshady 02-05-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15806009)

Haha read carefully, I said "since Quick has been in the league." I have not forgotten that the caps won that series....sooooo long ago ;)

barbogast 02-05-2015 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15806025)
Haha read carefully, I said "since Quick has been in the league." I have not forgotten that the caps won that series....sooooo long ago ;)

Quick played 40+ games for the Kings that year...

aeroshady 02-05-2015 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15806026)
Quick played 40+ games for the Kings that year...

Stats page I read had the years off by one. I'll amend it to "Since Quick first made the playoffs."

barbogast 02-05-2015 08:43 PM

Sorry Greg don't mean to keep picking your post apart but I found another hole. Hank has 0 gold medals since Quick came into the NHL. In fact they both have the same amount of Olympic medals since then, 1 silver each.

Roose13 02-05-2015 08:55 PM

Seriously, no comments on Kimmo Timonen skating? You're all savages.

socopithy 02-05-2015 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15806069)
Seriously, no comments on Kimmo Timonen skating? You're all savages.

He's not a machine, he's stupid.

barbogast 02-05-2015 08:59 PM

:lol I actually did open that article and meant to comment but got involved in an Evander Kane comment. Timonen is a beast. So great to see he's gonna give it a go. Best of luck to him, just too bad he's coming back to a Flyers team that doesn't have much chance at the post season this year.

edit: to Roose

barbogast 02-05-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socopithy (Post 15806073)
He's not a machine, he's stupid.

:thumbsdow

socopithy 02-05-2015 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15806076)
:thumbsdow

Don't get me wrong, I respect him. How can you not?

But it doesn't sound like a risk he should be taking at this time. What's the upside, and how is it worth it?

barbogast 02-05-2015 09:04 PM

Fair point, especially since, like I said, the Flyers just simply aren't having a great season. But I still respect the hell out of him for giving it a shot.

lockman21 02-05-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15806013)

This is insanity to me. I mean, he is a contract employee. A multi-million dollar investment. And he literally didn't show up to work because he didn't like that the team got upset...when he broke a rule.

This is one of the biggest stories of the year, IMO. Is this thing broken beyond repair? What do the Jets do with one of their skill guys continues to act like a punk, even though they are in the middle of their first playoff run since moving (back)? He has four years at a $5.25 million cap hit, and his production alone hasn't warranted that cap hit...then throw in his shit attitude? He's been in trouble for violating team rules before, and you guys remember this picture controversy during the lockout?

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/t...letterbox.jpeg

He shows flashes of being a superstar, but has just not lived up to the hype yet. I wonder if someone would be willing to gamble on him that's in the middle of the playoff picture. New York Islanders perhaps? I'm sure the Wild would be interested in moving Vanek for him (if he waived his NMC). Nashville? Maybe to Washington for Mike Green?

It's a crazy crazy story.

barbogast 02-05-2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15806088)
This is insanity to me. I mean, he is a contract employee. A multi-million dollar investment. And he literally didn't show up to work because he didn't like that the team got upset...when he broke a rule.

This is one of the biggest stories of the year, IMO. Is this thing broken beyond repair? What do the Jets do with one of their skill guys continues to act like a punk, even though they are in the middle of their first playoff run since moving (back)? He has four years at a $5.25 million cap hit, and his production alone hasn't warranted that cap hit...then throw in his shit attitude? He's been in trouble for violating team rules before, and you guys remember this picture controversy during the lockout?

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/t...letterbox.jpeg

He shows flashes of being a superstar, but has just not lived up to the hype yet. I wonder if someone would be willing to gamble on him that's in the middle of the playoff picture. New York Islanders perhaps? I'm sure the Wild would be interested in moving Vanek for him (if he waived his NMC). Nashville? Maybe to Washington for Mike Green?

It's a crazy crazy story.

I think the bolded is exactly why it's so disappointing to see for me. The Jets are finally at least in the conversation for the playoffs, which is a humongous mother fucking deal in Winnipeg. And one of their better offensive weapons is pulling this shit. Not sure what his end game is, but this isn't the kind of thing GM's just forget about.

As for where he may go, I sure hope it isn't Washington. Especially not for Green, though I don't think the Caps will end up moving him (nor should they at this time, imo). But that's a different conversation.

fonzz41 02-05-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15803753)
They are going down tomorrow night though.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That final score is too bad... Two empty netters makes it look worse than it was.

Cool to see MacKinnon in his first scrap. Didn't do terribly, considering he was taking on someone the size of Ericsson.

fonzz41 02-05-2015 09:26 PM

Agree with both Barbs and Chris, re: Kane. He'd make a GREAT Flyer, eh?

Speaking of, Timmo is the epitome of a hockey player.

barbogast 02-05-2015 09:36 PM

I'm thinking Evander is the answer the Maple Leafs have been looking for :lol

TMoore4075 02-06-2015 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15806113)
Yeah, yeah, yeah. That final score is too bad... Two empty netters makes it look worse than it was.

Cool to see MacKinnon in his first scrap. Didn't do terribly, considering he was taking on someone the size of Ericsson.

Shutout is a shutout. That's the Wings 3rd string guy right there. ;)

That hit wasn't much of one, plus MacKinnon turned into it but you gotta stand up for yourself. Showed how strong on his skates he is cause Ericsson was trying to force him down a few times.
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15806112)
I think the bolded is exactly why it's so disappointing to see for me. The Jets are finally at least in the conversation for the playoffs, which is a humongous mother fucking deal in Winnipeg. And one of their better offensive weapons is pulling this shit. Not sure what his end game is, but this isn't the kind of thing GM's just forget about.

As for where he may go, I sure hope it isn't Washington. Especially not for Green, though I don't think the Caps will end up moving him (nor should they at this time, imo). But that's a different conversation.

It really is too bad. I want that team to make the playoffs. Never thought they would with the West as good as it is, but a few teams have bad years compared to last year and they are playing well, and there they are. Hope he doesn't screw this up for them. It's time to get him out. I do it by the deadline and not wait to the summer. You want to make the playoffs, you get rid of that distraction as soon as you can.

hailtopitt 02-06-2015 06:10 AM

i wish the Penguins could pony up enough to grab Kane, but the asking price is going to be way too high :: chills ::

he'd look great on Malkin's line

barbogast 02-06-2015 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15806223)
It really is too bad. I want that team to make the playoffs. Never thought they would with the West as good as it is, but a few teams have bad years compared to last year and they are playing well, and there they are. Hope he doesn't screw this up for them. It's time to get him out. I do it by the deadline and not wait to the summer. You want to make the playoffs, you get rid of that distraction as soon as you can.

Exactly. Eliminate the distraction at the deadline or sooner if possible, and let your pretty underrated team focus on the task at hand. They've got a solid group of forwards up there, they'll survive without E. Kane

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15806317)
i wish the Penguins could pony up enough to grab Kane, but the asking price is going to be way too high :: chills ::

he'd look great on Malkin's line

Quite honestly, given this new development, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my hockey team. Especially since, like you said, the Jets will probably want a lot in return for a pretty big gamble

hailtopitt 02-06-2015 06:40 AM

ehhh i just think he needs a change of scenery to be honest

his recent actions were very immature but i have a hard time believing he would act like that no matter where he was, seems like he's super upset with the Jets and is just being a baby about it

barbogast 02-06-2015 06:41 AM

Not exactly the best precedent to be setting for yourself

swordo84 02-06-2015 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15806023)
Honestly hadn't heard about him skipping the game by his own doing until now. I heard he had been healthy scratched, but hadn't heard this. That's insane. Also didn't realize he's still only 23. He's so talented, what a shame to see him developing such an attitude problem while he's still so young. Hopefully it's just not the right fit in Winnipeg, and granted I really only see him when he plays against the Caps, but he was in the Southeast for a couple years and I was always thoroughly impressed by him every time I watched him. This is really disappointing to hear about.

I get the feeling that Kane isn't going to be a 'good fit' anywhere. Just sounds like a petulant child most of the time. That being said he is only 23 so perhaps he'll grow up over the next couple of years and become that top level goal scorer he thinks he can be.

I certainly wouldn't be trading for a kid who doesn't bother to show up for a game.

hailtopitt 02-06-2015 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15806411)
Not exactly the best precedent to be setting for yourself

yea, agreed...what a shame

poor winnipeg :(

want to see a home playoff game there so bad

will be deafening

swordo84 02-06-2015 06:56 AM

More on Kane, the problem with trying to trade him now is that is was placed on the IR, and is one phone call away from season-ending surgery. Does he get traded? That's almost a certainty. Does it happen before the end of the year? Who knows...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15806409)
ehhh i just think he needs a change of scenery to be honest

his recent actions were very immature but i have a hard time believing he would act like that no matter where he was, seems like he's super upset with the Jets and is just being a baby about it

He's been a great team-player this year, up until this week. A self-proclaimed 50 goal scorer playing on the 3rd line and hasn't complained/bitched about it once. The whole team has (had?) bought into the team-first mentatlity and that's why they are making the playoff push that they are. It's such a weird, weird situation.

TMoore4075 02-06-2015 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15806446)
I get the feeling that Kane isn't going to be a 'good fit' anywhere. Just sounds like a petulant child most of the time. That being said he is only 23 so perhaps he'll grow up over the next couple of years and become that top level goal scorer he thinks he can be.

I certainly wouldn't be trading for a kid who doesn't bother to show up for a game.

I do wonder if this is the case. Will he always be like this, sorta like Sean Avery was? Or will with the right scenery will he be able to change that? The right coach with the right nucleus maybe....The problem is, will a team take that chance?

hailtopitt 02-06-2015 07:07 AM

Penguins would definitely take the chance for the right price

highly doubt the price will be right, though

TMoore4075 02-06-2015 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15806506)
Penguins would definitely take the chance for the right price

highly doubt the price will be right, though

Yeah, and I don't blame the Jets. A young talented player is still worth a lot, even with his apparent maturity issues.