Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Dramageek 04-05-2017 10:03 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where home field advantage matters!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16760310)
why? Penguins without Letang seems like a better matchup than a fairly healthy CBJ coming off a huge momentum building series win

i get the whole Penguins stigma regarding the Caps but i think this would be the year for the Caps to break the so-called curse

I agree with H2P here. The Caps and their plethora of skilled players SHOULD be able to exploit a more tired and Letang-less Pens team. However, I can't fault Barbs for wanting to avoid the snake that keeps biting him. :lol

barbogast 04-05-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16760319)
I agree with H2P here. The Caps and their plethora of skilled players SHOULD be able to exploit a more tired and Letang-less Pens team. However, I can't fault Barbs for wanting to avoid the snake that keeps biting him. :lol

Yeah I mean, come on. It's a strong argument, but yeah. No thanks.

hailtopitt 04-05-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16760313)
Meh. I'll pass. Columbus please.

:lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16760316)
Eh I still think we can beat CBJ

can? sure...CBJ should be favored though IMO...the entire breakout runs through Letang, meaning the entire Sullivan system runs through him. it's a monumental loss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16760317)
If the Penguins win it will be on the back of either hot goaltending or a hot Crosby/Malkin. Neither of which you want to face in the playoffs

have you seen Murray's glove hand recently? it's basically a cinder block...Crosby or Malkin could get hot (or Kessel) but i'm just not seeing it...Letang is so good at jump starting the forwards

hailtopitt 04-05-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16760321)
Yeah I mean, come on. It's a strong argument, but yeah. No thanks.

:lol fair enough

barbogast 04-05-2017 10:06 AM

If there's any way of avoiding the Penguins AND the Rangers both in one playoff year, I am in. Columbus could help be part of that dream.

rickyh24 04-05-2017 10:09 AM

I just want Bruins/Habs for the most part.

JRS1386 04-05-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16760323)
:lol

can? sure...CBJ should be favored though IMO...the entire breakout runs through Letang, meaning the entire Sullivan system runs through him. it's a monumental loss.

have you seen Murray's glove hand recently? it's basically a cinder block...Crosby or Malkin could get hot (or Kessel) but i'm just not seeing it...Letang is so good at jump starting the forwards

I said if for a reason. You never know. Playoffs are always unpredictable

JRS1386 04-05-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16760327)
If there's any way of avoiding the Penguins AND the Rangers both in one playoff year, I am in. Columbus could help be part of that dream.

Columbus could also be a part of your playoff nightmares for years to come

barbogast 04-05-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16760335)
Columbus could also be a part of your playoff nightmares for years to come

This is probably going to be the case

Bobrovsky'd

hailtopitt 04-05-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16760332)
I said if for a reason. You never know. Playoffs are always unpredictable

i know i agree. it's just the news was so devastating about Letang. Would've maybe been different had we known right away...but 3 games before the playoffs we get a bomb dropped on us after expecting him to be healthy and ready to go.

sucks

Climb2safety 04-05-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16760339)
This is probably going to be the case

Bobrovsky'd

It wouldn't be the first time we went ice cold and a hot tender took us down.

JRS1386 04-05-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16760341)
i know i agree. it's just the news was so devastating about Letang. Would've maybe been different had we known right away...but 3 games before the playoffs we get a bomb dropped on us after expecting him to be healthy and ready to go.

sucks

I don't know the feeling because the Flyers suck and should fire Hakstol.

dmbetc 04-05-2017 10:20 AM

A part of me is happy the Kings didn't make the playoffs. Very satisfying after they fucked over Dustin. Also should be the nail in the coffin for Sutter.

hailtopitt 04-05-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16760351)
I don't know the feeling because the Flyers suck and should fire Hakstol.

they probably will fire him but honestly they have other problems

Flyers have all the makings of a legit team (other than goaltending) but guys just aren't performing

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16760355)
A part of me is happy the Kings didn't make the playoffs. Very satisfying after the lot fucked over Dustin. Also should be the nail in the coffin for Sutter.

glad you aren't bitter though

JRS1386 04-05-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16760362)
they probably will fire him but honestly they have other problems

Flyers have all the makings of a legit team (other than goaltending) but guys just aren't performing

For sure. I don't know how much of Giroux's seasonal woes were from not being fully over his hip surgery until midway through the season or not. Didn't help he jumped into the WCoH right away either.

So much of what Giroux does affects those around him. If he can start the season after having a healthy off season then I think this team will play better. Also, Matt Read needs to find his offense again. Couts is the only forward allowed to be poor on offense because his defense is phenomenal

Lcsulla 04-05-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16760228)
This title belongs to the NBA. We already addressed that the regualr season is pointless as well as the first two rounds. NBA sucks. I literally see no point in watching before the finals start.

Agreed, may as well be watching ping pong it goes back and forth so much it is a bore. I would watch if they spotted each team 100 points and played 5 or 10 minutes, the game would still last over an hour given all the fowls, timeouts and free throws.

JRS1386 04-05-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16760396)
Agreed, may as well be watching ping pong it goes back and forth so much it is a bore. I would watch if they spotted each team 100 points and played 5 or 10 minutes, the game would still last over an hour given all the fowls, timeouts and free throws.

http://www.animatedimages.org/data/m...image-0018.gif

dmbetc 04-05-2017 10:44 AM

:lol savage

hailtopitt 04-05-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16760382)
For sure. I don't know how much of Giroux's seasonal woes were from not being fully over his hip surgery until midway through the season or not. Didn't help he jumped into the WCoH right away either.

So much of what Giroux does affects those around him. If he can start the season after having a healthy off season then I think this team will play better. Also, Matt Read needs to find his offense again. Couts is the only forward allowed to be poor on offense because his defense is phenomenal

i'll be honest with you, and this is my hockey fan talking. not my penguins fan talking i promise you. Giroux is barely a 2nd liner.

never had a 30 goal season and only topped 80 points twice in 9 seasons

three straight years as a minus player, and only 1 good season on the power play

Voracek and Simmonds are your best forwards IMO and should be building the offense around them, especially Simmonds. He just looks so much more dangerous than everyone else IMO.

bradshaw06 04-05-2017 10:45 AM

Giroux was definitely not top 250 material this season...

bradshaw06 04-05-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16760405)
i'll be honest with you, and this is my hockey fan talking. not my penguins fan talking i promise you. Giroux is barely a 2nd liner.

three straight years as a minus player, and only 1 good season on the power play

Voracek and Simmonds are your best forwards IMO and should be building the offense around them, especially Simmonds. He just looks so much more dangerous than everyone else IMO.

Had my cousin in law a few years ago attempt to argue with me that Giroux would be a hall of famer. I just let time tell the story.

aeroshady 04-05-2017 10:48 AM

I understand where Barbs is coming from.

That said, I only like avoiding teams in the first round. After that, I say bring it on. I would love to get a shot at the Caps again this year. I would also like to renew our rivalry with the Pens. Looks like it will have to be ECFs to get that shot this year though. Hopefully the Rangers can take out the Habs at least.

fonzz41 04-05-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16760406)
Giroux was definitely not top 250 material this season...

Top 300 maybe, but yeah.

Lcsulla 04-05-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16760280)
Wish I could agree with you, my friend, but I'm rooting for a Duchene trade. And it's not because I don't like him. He's worked his ass off for the Avs. Always gives 100%, is a fantastic team guy, has rounded out his 3-zone game, and is one of the most visible guys in the Denver community in terms of charity and such. A great guy for any team to have. He can get streaky, but that shouldn't take away from all the positives.

However, they've got to move someone in order to land some solid defensive help. I agree on keeping MacKinnon. He is a franchise centerpiece. And although Landeskog isn't putting up the points that I think people expected, he has something about him that I think the Avs need. A lot of Peter Forsberg in his game in terms of combining finesse with grit. I also think this season has been important for his evolution as a captain. I've said this a couple times, but on many nights it looks like he's dragging the team to the season's finish line through pure force of will. I'm interested to see him next season with the lessons he's learned this season.

Duchene is simply going to be their best bet for fetching a solid return. And if moving him is what it takes to start improving defensively, I'm for it. He's enticing trade bait precisely because of the things you and I have talked about. It pains me to say it, but it's true.

What softens the blow of moving him is also what you pointed out: The youngsters. Raantanen has been fantastic, Compher has looked great, Jost has all the potential in the world, and Andrighetto was a HELLUVA pick up by Sakic. As those guys continue to develop, they will replace Duchene's production.

Can't wait for next season!

Agreed, he does everything a captain should do and then some. Absolutely perfect fit out there, great person and great player.

Quote:

However, I can't fault Barbs for wanting to avoid the snake that keeps biting him. :lol

True! :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16760341)

sucks

Yup, that is a rough one to swallow, timing is awful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16760355)
A part of me is happy the Kings didn't make the playoffs. Very satisfying after they fucked over Dustin. Also should be the nail in the coffin for Sutter.

Agreed, I never really want to face LA in a conference championship because they can dial it up so I cannot say I am sorry they are out but what they did to Dustin was a dick move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16760405)

This, 100%.

TheLastPig 04-05-2017 11:00 AM

Member when Crosby passed the baton to Giroux for best player in the world? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Roose13 04-05-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16760396)

I hate it when too many fowls get on the field at Wells Fargo Center too.

aeroshady 04-05-2017 11:06 AM

I hear that the NHL team in Anaheim is Fowl.

hailtopitt 04-05-2017 11:07 AM

awww yea i meember

JRS1386 04-05-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16760437)
I hear that the NHL team in Anaheim is Fowl.

They are mighty fowl

TheLastPig 04-05-2017 11:10 AM

This is a bit random but the fowl talk has me thinking.

Does anyone know why the thrashers logo was some kind of bird? Is thrashing something birds do? I think that was an attack for one of the bird pokemon :lol