Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 03-21-2016 07:08 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16340942)
Less than 2 weeks until the Blue Jays start. This makes me happier than anything else sports-wise in some time. That being said, when Oilers clear house this off season that will be pretty fun as well.

Hey they are a little better than last year. Amazing with all that talent. What do you think they do this offseason?

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16340495)
Fleury going again tonight for the Pens. A rested Caps team should make hay.

:lol:lol

Dramageek 03-21-2016 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16340934)
Honestly, I think the pens being is the metro two spot is not a good thing. I'd like to see them avoid the rangers.

That's fair, though I'm a little less worried about the Rags than I was earlier in the season, particularly if the Pens can get home ice.

Who do you think the best first round match-up would be for them? I'm honestly not sure. They do seem to match up well against the Caps, but I don't see them falling back to the 8 seed.

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16340962)
That's fair, though I'm a little less worried about the Rags than I was earlier in the season, particularly if the Pens can get home ice.

Who do you think the best first round match-up would be for them? I'm honestly not sure. They do seem to match up well against the Caps, but I don't see them falling back to the 8 seed.

Islanders
Panthers
Capitals

they could beat all 3 of those teams in a 7 game series

TMoore4075 03-21-2016 07:18 AM

@ChuckGormleyCSN
"I am told no NHL hearing is scheduled from Mike Weber's 5-minute boarding major on Bryan Rust. #CapitalsTalk"

Surprised here. I guess no injury played into it (which is beyond fucking stupid) but he should have still gotten a couple games.

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 07:18 AM

on the other hand, Bruins and Rangers are still the 2 worst matchups for the Pens

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16340965)
@ChuckGormleyCSN
"I am told no NHL hearing is scheduled from Mike Weber's 5-minute boarding major on Bryan Rust. #CapitalsTalk"

Surprised here. I guess no injury played into it (which is beyond fucking stupid) but he should have still gotten a couple games.

lololol why are you surprised?

#GarageLeague

TMoore4075 03-21-2016 07:21 AM

Bruins can keep losing too. Wings are within 3 of them. Let them fall to the wild card spot.

jrkarger 03-21-2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16340963)
Islanders
Panthers
Capitals

they could beat all 3 of those teams in a 7 game series

I agree with this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16340966)
on the other hand, Bruins and Rangers are still the 2 worst matchups for the Pens

:lol so true. They draw either of those teams you can start booking your tee times.

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16340974)
I agree with this.

:lol so true. They draw either of those teams you can start booking your tee times.

yup, so frustrating

this team is so weird. on one hand, they have their best 2 weeks of hockey of the year all without Malkin. but at the same time, the power play is ABYSMAL without Malkin, yet somehow they're killing teams (however, the refs screwed the Pens out of a PP goal yesterday with an absurdly quick whistle)

barbogast 03-21-2016 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16340944)
Hey they are a little better than last year. Amazing with all that talent. What do you think they do this offseason?

Win the lottery and draft Auston Matthews. That's step one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16340948)
:lol:lol

I mean, they should've. They actually had a really great first ten minutes and yet again Holtby seemed remarkably average as the Caps went down 2 quick. No big deal in the grand scheme really, in fact like I said yesterday it helps the Caps not play the Pens in round one. So that's a plus.

Seriously though, Holtby has been alarmingly average for about a month now. Not bad certainly, but nowhere close to where he was before the all star break.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16340965)
@ChuckGormleyCSN

Just another example of how the nhl really isn't concerned with illegal checking at all

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16340979)
I mean, they should've. They actually had a really great first ten minutes and yet again Holtby seemed remarkably average as the Caps went down 2 quick. No big deal in the grand scheme really, in fact like I said yesterday it helps the Caps not play the Pens in round one. So that's a plus.

Seriously though, Holtby has been alarmingly average for about a month now. Not bad certainly, but nowhere close to where he was before the all star break.

Just another example of how the nhl really isn't concerned with illegal checking at all

why do you think they should've? just because the Pens played the night before? i mean honestly, the Pens are officially the hottest team in the league and are playing much better hockey than anyone else right now

Caps just caught them on a hot streak and Holtby did not look good at all. i know it doesn't mean much in the big picture, but going out and absolutely destroying Philly and Washington in the same weekend is a welcomed sight.

and yea, it's sad to see about Weber because he's a pittsburgh guy and i love seeing more local products making it into the league. but man, the NHL continues to be an absolute joke on player safety and discipline

TMoore4075 03-21-2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16340979)
Win the lottery and draft Auston Matthews. That's step one.

The talk out of the GM meetings saying they wanted to limit #1 picks might get more steam if the Oilers somehow get it again.

To the hit...yeah I mean how do you not suspend him? Sure the 5 minutes hurt his team but guys still aren't learning. I mean he saw his numbers the whole way. This isn't one where oh the player turned back quickly and turned into the hit, I mean the only you don't see it is if your eyes were closed the whole time. Do we need the stop signs like the kids have on their jerseys? The lack of respect is amazing out there.

barbogast 03-21-2016 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16340984)
why do you think they should've?

Because they finally had a really good, solid 60 minute win against Nashville on Friday (first one of those in weeks) and as the best team in the league they should've been able to build on that and handle anyone, even the hottest team in the league. Especially a team that played the day before.

Again, it's not a huge deal, but the Caps haven't exactly been consistent lately. I was hoping very much that would begin to change. And after 10 minutes it looked like it was going to.

Basically, the Caps should've been ready and I was hoping they would put a seriously convincing win on the board for the second game in a row. It's like when Barry Trotz said "the best team in the league always gets the best a team has" as a reason why the Caps have started so flat lately. I don't buy that at all. As the league's best, handling any other team's best should at least be met with a fair amount of consistency. They've been anything but consistent lately.

Yes the Pens are really hot right now, but that didn't look like a team ready to win a Cup at all last night. Like I said, not a huge deal, there's time to course correct, but I have growing concerns each time I watch this team now. Hopefully it's just a dog days of the season, top seed locked up super early, not much to really play for right now syndrome. But either way, the lack of motivation and detail is not fun and happening way too often right now.

barbogast 03-21-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16340989)
The talk out of the GM meetings saying they wanted to limit #1 picks might get more steam if the Oilers somehow get it again.

To the hit...yeah I mean how do you not suspend him? Sure the 5 minutes hurt his team but guys still aren't learning. I mean he saw his numbers the whole way. This isn't one where oh the player turned back quickly and turned into the hit, I mean the only you don't see it is if your eyes were closed the whole time. Do we need the stop signs like the kids have on their jerseys? The lack of respect is amazing out there.

This is the weirdest part for me. Those are your peers out there. Stop injuring them.

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 07:47 AM

can we just say the East is really fun

i want the playoffs to start now

fonzz41 03-21-2016 08:20 AM

Just saw the Dumba hit on Kane.

Man, defenseman are like sharks that sniff blood when they get a chance to stand a guy up at the blue line with his head down. Glad Kane's OK being that his head ended up being principal point of contact, but everything else about that hit was textbook open ice check.

unccrombie 03-21-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16340966)

home ice for the 1st round of the playoffs could be decided on Sunday

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16341060)
home ice for the 1st round of the playoffs could be decided on Sunday

yea it's possible

i still have a feeling the Pens will slip back into a WC spot for some reason

just a hunch

kev87lads 03-21-2016 09:33 AM

I think the Flyers need to get 6 points on this four game road trip. It's doable. But not likely.

~Crashintome89~ 03-21-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16341034)
Glad Kane's OK being that his head ended up being principal point of contact, but everything else about that hit was textbook open ice check.

nah, screw him. nothing made me happier last night than seeing him drilled by a clean hit. textbook.

~Crashintome89~ 03-21-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16341129)
I think the Flyers need to get 6 points on this four game road trip. It's doable. But not likely.

they still have a shot. With Neuvy out, Mason is the clear #1 which probably helps him out. Score could have been a lot worse Saturday if he wasn't standing on his head. The team will come out with fire tonight, no doubt about it. When they want it, the Flyers can compete with any team in the league. They're fine.

~Crashintome89~ 03-21-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16340563)
Watching Oshie beat the shit out of Crosby is very exciting as an American. Way to make America great again Osh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16341132)
When they want it, the Flyers can compete with any team in the league.

so then you're saying they "didn't want it" on saturday? against their arch rival, at home, who sat directly in front of them in the standings with playoff implications on the line?

aeroshady 03-21-2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16340984)
why do you think they should've? just because the Pens played the night before? i mean honestly, the Pens are officially the hottest team in the league and are playing much better hockey than anyone else right now

Caps just caught them on a hot streak and Holtby did not look good at all. i know it doesn't mean much in the big picture, but going out and absolutely destroying Philly and Washington in the same weekend is a welcomed sight.

and yea, it's sad to see about Weber because he's a pittsburgh guy and i love seeing more local products making it into the league. but man, the NHL continues to be an absolute joke on player safety and discipline

Pitt is looking good. Hard to say they are playing way better than the Kings though...

~Crashintome89~ 03-21-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16341137)
so then you're saying they "didn't want it" on saturday? against their arch rival, at home, who sat directly in front of them in the standings with playoff implications on the line?

They were out of gas. Two back to back wins against the Red Wings and Chicago, 8-1-1 in their last ten--come on. No excuse, but it happens.

However, if the Flyers don't beat the Pens twice in regulation, season is over. They won't make the playoffs unless they beat the Pens in both matchups.

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16341140)
Pitt is looking good. Hard to say they are playing way better than the Kings though...

Pens have 1 more point than the Kings in their last 10 games and the Pens have done it without Malkin for the majority of the time

i'd say that's better. and that's not a knock on the Kings at all

~Crashintome89~ 03-21-2016 09:42 AM

Also, gonna say this right now:

Pens are peaking too soon.

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16341145)
They were out of gas. Two back to back wins against the Red Wings and Chicago, 8-1-1 in their last ten--come on. No excuse, but it happens.

However, if the Flyers don't beat the Pens twice in regulation, season is over. They won't make the playoffs unless they beat the Pens in both matchups.

i agree, it's no excuse...Pens were coming off huge wins against the Islander, Rangers and Hurricanes but still found a way to beat Philly and DC on back-to-back days

out of gas? maybe, yea i could see that...but they weren't really in the game. the Gudas goal was kind of fluky and after that they kinda just went away

Flyers are still in ok shape though. like i said last week, the Flyers v. Pens head-to-head games are huge

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16341147)
Also, gonna say this right now:

Pens are peaking too soon.

you might be right

i'm really hoping Malkin can recover from his injury ahead of schedule but that's wishful thinking

a Malkin return would be a huge shot in the arm and at the perfect time