Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 09-04-2014 01:35 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

I can't wait for Carcillo to be traded to the Avs and play 10 games. I also can't wait for the seventh rounder we'll get for him!

Bron Yr Aur 09-04-2014 02:47 PM

Wow that's a lot for David Krejci, who will be 29 at the start of that deal. Ouch.

lockman21 09-04-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15577785)
You miss him.

About as much as I miss my cheating whore of an ex-girlfriend nagging me every day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15577966)
Wow that's a lot for David Krejci, who will be 29 at the start of that deal. Ouch.

:lol:lol Classic Bron. IT'S OFFICIALLY HOCKEY SEASON ON ANTS!

UCFish 09-04-2014 03:47 PM

:lol:lol

fonzz41 09-04-2014 03:57 PM

About fair-market value for Krejci. It's Boston's cap situation as a whole that's handcuffing them. $3 mil/year for Kelly? $6 mil for Looch (as much as I like him)? But like Tim said, that's kinda how the NHL works these days. Your core makes the majority of the money, then you fill in the open spots with what's available.

I've heard the Bruins are trying their best to move Kelly. Can Boston friends confirm?

salrx95 09-04-2014 04:12 PM

We set the draft date for my fantasy league today. That has to mean the season is getting closer to starting, doesn't it?

fonzz41 09-04-2014 04:23 PM

Avs lock up Barrie. 2 yrs/$5.2 mil. Love it.

TMoore4075 09-05-2014 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15578080)
Avs lock up Barrie. 2 yrs/$5.2 mil. Love it.

Still waiting on #19 in Columbus. The longer that goes to more stressed I'd be if I was a Jackets fan.

hailtopitt 09-05-2014 06:19 AM

on 93.7 The Fan this morning, update guy:

"And Lady Byng contender Dan Carcillo signs with the penguins on a tryout contract"

:lol had a good lol

Rebecca De Mornay 09-05-2014 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15579109)
Still waiting on #19 in Columbus. The longer that goes to more stressed I'd be if I was a Jackets fan.

I'm straight up losing my mind at this point.

I still can't believe he wouldn't play though. I mean 3.5mill is better than nothing.

~Crashintome89~ 09-05-2014 06:22 AM

He's just playing really good hardball. The problem is Columbus is going legit and their new GM isn't going to back down. #19 (not 19! 19! 19! 19!) is just going to have to suck it up and sign a bridge deal and then go out there and make the Columbus management look foolish.

Bron Yr Aur 09-05-2014 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15578025)
About as much as I miss my cheating whore of an ex-girlfriend nagging me every day.

:lol:lol Classic Bron. IT'S OFFICIALLY HOCKEY SEASON ON ANTS!

:lol :lol Typ l0ckman.....no attempt to make an argument whatsoever!1

$7.2m per for 30 yr old 2nd line Center! Who plays sheltered minutes. Deal gonna look real bad in a couple years!

TMoore4075 09-05-2014 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15579185)

I still can't believe he wouldn't play though. I mean 3.5mill is better than nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15579191)
He's just playing really good hardball. The problem is Columbus is going legit and their new GM isn't going to back down. #19 (not 19! 19! 19! 19!) is just going to have to suck it up and sign a bridge deal and then go out there and make the Columbus management look foolish.

If it gets to the end of the month and nothing then I'd start to worry. He misses a long stretch of time, that could set them back. I like what management is doing, because that's how a successful franchise is run. You just give out the big contracts at the start of a career, you can set yourself back if the player doesn't continue to develop.

~Crashintome89~ 09-05-2014 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15578025)

So I'm guessing the breakup wasn't amicable?

fonzz41 09-05-2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15579185)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15579191)

I agree with you all. Columbus can't let themselves be pushed around. The kid did great last year, so sign a bridge deal and prove you can keep doing it. Using the recent Barrie example, he had a breakout (for a defenseman) year last year. But it was ONE good year. Prove you can do it again making *pretty* good money, then we'll throw the big cash at you. That's just the way it works.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15579216)
:lol :lol Typ l0ckman.....no attempt to make an argument whatsoever!1

$7.2m per for 30 yr old 2nd line Center! Who plays sheltered minutes. Deal gonna look real bad in a couple years!

With the way Boston rolls lines, which line is the "1st" and "2nd" is kind of a gray area for them. Krejci is a perrenial 60+ point guy who plays a hard game, is responsible in all areas, and is in the top tier of hockey sense. I will always blanch a little when I see a guy making $7 million a year. It's just a lot of money. But when you get a versatile center like him playing with ANOTHER versatile center like Bergeron, you lock that up. I like Krejci's deal a lot more than I like Lucic's... and I'm a Looch fan.

And yeah, one of the best parts of our dear thread big-ticket Bron and Chris bouts. This time it was about something other than the Blackhawks though. A special treat for the rest of us.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15579228)
So I'm guessing the breakup wasn't amicable?

Story time!

TMoore4075 09-05-2014 10:02 AM

Ah talk of Babcock has started back up again. I hope he signs soon to not have to listen to this crap all year. I know it's possible he could leave and I sort of wish if he was, that it would happen now to not have to hear all the rumors. Watched a TSN thing a little bit ago and LeBrun talking about it. The biggest thing he said was that Babcock would want to go to a winner with money. Duh, he's the best coach in the league. Think he's going to FLA? So then I went through the list of teams and thought about them. I will "spoiler" all the teams to not make it super long.
Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

So possibilities are TBL, TO, MN and MON. Are any of those REALLY better than Detroit where he has built something great and can see it keep going with good ownership? I'm not sure. TBL would be the most intriguing, but again, are they viable long-term if they are a cap team?

hailtopitt 09-05-2014 10:03 AM

the pens would pay 5 coaches at once if it meant landing babcock

but i doubt it happens

really want him though

TMoore4075 09-05-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15579738)
the pens would pay 5 coaches at once if it meant landing babcock

but i doubt it happens

really want him though

If they wanted him badly they should have kept DB for another year and played the wait and see game. Although sounded like they wanted Peters (babs assistant) before he chose the Canes...ouch.

hailtopitt 09-05-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15579749)
If they wanted him badly they should have kept DB for another year and played the wait and see game. Although sounded like they wanted Peters (babs assistant) before he chose the Canes...ouch.

they couldn't keep Disco another year, out of the question

TMoore4075 09-05-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15579752)
they couldn't keep Disco another year, out of the question

If you wanted Babcock and the only way to get him would be to keep DB for one year you wouldn't do it? Cause if they would have gotten Peters, no way Babs takes a job away from one of his former assistants after just a year on the job.

hailtopitt 09-05-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15579758)
If you wanted Babcock and the only way to get him would be to keep DB for one year you wouldn't do it? Cause if they would have gotten Peters, no way Babs takes a job away from one of his former assistants after just a year on the job.

it was a catch 22

way too much pressure from the fanbase for change. if Disco and Shero stayed another year, you might've seen the first ever non-sellout at the new arena this year, thats how big the ground swell was

they definitely wanted babcock, but not at the expense of wasting yet ANOTHER year of Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Letang in their primes...it was a real shitty situation, but i like what the new coach is doing...i forgot what it's like to have grit on your roster, it's been so long here

TMoore4075 09-05-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15579765)
it was a catch 22

way too much pressure from the fanbase for change. if Disco and Shero stayed another year, you might've seen the first ever non-sellout at the new arena this year, thats how big the ground swell was

they definitely wanted babcock, but not at the expense of wasting yet ANOTHER year of Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Letang in their primes...it was a real shitty situation, but i like what the new coach is doing...i forgot what it's like to have grit on your roster, it's been so long here

Agree completely. All things being equal, I personally think Pit was the best place for Babcock (outside of Detroit) but I just don't see it happening now because of everything you said. They were one year too early for him. I don't see any of my other options as really better ones than Detroit. I think he signs for 4-5 years and they promote Blashill to an assistant in the next few years and then see what happens with both of them. Maybe it becomes time for Babs to move on and Blashill is the guy, or the team wants Babcock to stay and Blashill gets a gig somewhere else. Wings didn't sign their AHL head coach to a 3 year deal for nothing.

hailtopitt 09-05-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15579825)
Agree completely. All things being equal, I personally think Pit was the best place for Babcock (outside of Detroit) but I just don't see it happening now because of everything you said. They were one year too early for him. I don't see any of my other options as really better ones than Detroit. I think he signs for 4-5 years and they promote Blashill to an assistant in the next few years and then see what happens with both of them. Maybe it becomes time for Babs to move on and Blashill is the guy, or the team wants Babcock to stay and Blashill gets a gig somewhere else. Wings didn't sign their AHL head coach to a 3 year deal for nothing.

yea, and i mean good for babcock and detroit, they seem to be a great fit for each other. i've always like babcock.

one year too early is for damn sure

i think he's even alluded to coaching crosby in the past, would've been nice :shrug

TMoore4075 09-05-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15579851)
yea, and i mean good for babcock and detroit, they seem to be a great fit for each other. i've always like babcock.

one year too early is for damn sure

i think he's even alluded to coaching crosby in the past, would've been nice :shrug

I was psyched when he got here. He's the perfect coach. Not a complete dick that the players might not like him, but also stern enough where they respect him. He's amazingly level headed. This is my favorite moment. So many people were freaking out after game 1 against the Hawks and he's pointing out how much closer it really was. I hope he's here forever. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-rWykEgGM

hailtopitt 09-05-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15579868)
I was psyched when he got here. He's the perfect coach. Not a complete dick that the players might not like him, but also stern enough where they respect him. He's amazingly level headed. This is my favorite moment. So many people were freaking out after game 1 against the Hawks and he's pointing out how much closer it really was. I hope he's here forever. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-rWykEgGM

great clip

and that was one of Disco's best qualities too, never too high, never too low

he just couldn't coach in-game to save his life :lol

babcock can do it all

fonzz41 09-05-2014 11:45 AM

Mike Babcock is literally one of my top 10 favorite things about the NHL. He's everything you could want in a hockey personality.

~Crashintome89~ 09-05-2014 12:41 PM

since Tim forgot to place the Flyers anywhere in his spoiler list, I'm just going to assume Babcock to Philly is an e5.

TMoore4075 09-05-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15580133)
since Tim forgot to place the Flyers anywhere in his spoiler list, I'm just going to assume Babcock to Philly is an e5.

As soon as I saw that you had commented I thought "Did I put the Flyers on there?" They are a long shot too I'd think.

TMoore4075 09-07-2014 02:10 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx...ames&id=461197

Times have changed.

~Crashintome89~ 09-07-2014 03:09 PM

yeah, it's too bad no one is going to buy NHL 15 though.