Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming Soon? (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

kenticus 10-28-2020 08:31 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Y’all forgetting too - the internet is a thing and it wouldn’t be shocking for Dave to send the different members demos and sketches of tunes for them to listen to and get ideas of parts together on before the roll up to the studio. Less than a week physically in studio for horns may sound short but most of us, myself included, have no clue how much pre-work may go into it.

dontdrink36 10-28-2020 08:34 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17815218)
Over 10, under 14.

:thumbsup

All new to your knowledge?

DMB1JW 10-28-2020 09:07 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Thank you to everyone with real info for sharing.

So curious if the 10-14 songs will be all new or some old. If some old what will they pick for an album???

Pumped this thread is a nice break from the day now.

BruceW 10-28-2020 09:15 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Idk about all new or not. A guess? All new. If I were to place a bet though? A couple ones we have heard (not including the two new ones this year)

ToySoldier#34 10-28-2020 09:24 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17815262)
Idk about all new or not. A guess? All new. If I were to place a bet though? A couple ones we have heard (not including the two new ones this year)


Add Kill the King to the album, have it be a single, half of America just sitting there thinking "since when was DMB ever not soft soccer mom music??"

Tom Brady 10-28-2020 09:24 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
I kinda like it being mostly more new songs. Don’t get me wrong I’d love a crazy easy, sugar and Bismarck studio recording.... but I have multiple live versions of those tunes that I don’t think anything in the studio would match. We all know this band could make 1 or 2 incredible albums with all their unreleased stuff, but
give me some new songs! COCO is my fav song off come tomorrow and it was awesome to hear it for the first time the day the record was released.

DMB1JW 10-28-2020 09:39 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17815262)
Idk about all new or not. A guess? All new. If I were to place a bet though? A couple ones we have heard (not including the two new ones this year)

Thanks again for sharing. Pumped for a new album. Boom.

ElijahSoRight72 10-28-2020 09:45 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
For some reason I'm surprised that there are (I'll assume) 12 tracks on this album. Maybe this is just my conditioning as a DMB fan, but I feel like for there to be a full length album ready to go it needs to take at least 5 years, not a few months. I don't know if KTK would be there- it's looking likely that the time for that song is passing, but I'm pumped about the idea of a song or two we already know- especially if recorded during these sessions. I still bet we'll have to wait until the new year to hear anything official about it though.

WhereYouGoin 10-29-2020 12:08 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Brady (Post 17815215)
Bruce, without being too specific..... can I expect this vinyl under my Christmas tree or in my Easter basket?

This Christmas youíll get the normal Live Trax. I think weíd know by now if there was a new album for this year.

grilldanmo 10-29-2020 01:22 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Tons of music has been dropped w/o warning from all sorts of artists since the pandemic. A fair share that weren't started and/or recorded until the quarantining started. There's no reason DMB can't do this...not that they will...

jssmith6 10-29-2020 08:58 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhereYouGoin (Post 17815395)
This Christmas youíll get the normal Live Trax. I think weíd know by now if there was a new album for this year.

Says the person who hasn't seen a live show. You're most likely right, but really a pointless post. And your idea of a 2018-2019 LT is garbage. Give us something much, much earlier.

jmkratt 10-29-2020 09:59 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17815409)
Tons of music has been dropped w/o warning from all sorts of artists since the pandemic. A fair share that weren't started and/or recorded until the quarantining started. There's no reason DMB can't do this...not that they will...

Agreed :thumbsup

WhereYouGoin 10-29-2020 10:46 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jssmith6 (Post 17815479)
Says the person who hasn't seen a live show. You're most likely right, but really a pointless post. And your idea of a 2018-2019 LT is garbage. Give us something much, much earlier.

It is NOT garbage. Thereís yet to be a Ď19 one - they skipped it last Christmas.

jssmith6 10-29-2020 11:55 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
It is. If I wasn't a completist, I would send you my warehouse discs from the last years. Between warehouse discs, 2018 shows, encore trax, sirius shows, drive-ins; we have enough.

Aforauer 10-29-2020 12:15 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jssmith6 (Post 17815615)
It is. If I wasn't a completist, I would send you my warehouse discs from the last years. Between warehouse discs, 2018 shows, encore trax, sirius shows, drive-ins; we have enough.

Agreed we certainly have enough. With what you said above it would just be a complete repeat. I can't think of a single 2019 show that I'd want a release of other than the shows I was at (Hartford, SPAC x2). I haven't looked forward to a live trax like I used to since they've been largely lackluster. 53 is decent, 50 is solid. 51,52 are eh. Just being picky!

Also maybe we'll get a bonus disk for once. Prediction: Satellite, Why I am, She, Again and Again, Samurai Cop...same old stuff

Aforauer 10-29-2020 12:23 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17815218)
Over 10, under 14.

Also, Bruce myself and I'm sure others appreciate the info that you are able to provide. Getting flashbacks from the Come Tomorrow release when you shared similar info. So thanks!

No Ripcord rumor this time either with the dream track list that we all got fooled on lol

maythekarma1 10-29-2020 12:23 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DMB1JW (Post 17815637)
If Management selects a newer show my vote is the CVille Anniversary show. Solid set and IMO the best live versions of Bob Law, Sam Cop...Full band VITR...and a Bismarck

Couldn't agree more. Gets my vote also. And it's a good memento for the fans given that it's the 25th Anniversary show.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dmbnut21 10-29-2020 02:58 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
So, everyone is saying they have to protect the #1 streak, which I get. My question though is, couldn't they find a pretty empty/easy week and just do 2-3 weeks of hype and release and hit #1? I feel like the overall stream of new music has slowed down some and so if they found a light week they could just sneak in, hit #1 and move on. Am I wrong here? Are there that many large acts releasing new stuff on a weekly basis right now?

ElijahSoRight72 10-29-2020 03:30 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbnut21 (Post 17815858)
So, everyone is saying they have to protect the #1 streak, which I get. My question though is, couldn't they find a pretty empty/easy week and just do 2-3 weeks of hype and release and hit #1? I feel like the overall stream of new music has slowed down some and so if they found a light week they could just sneak in, hit #1 and move on. Am I wrong here? Are there that many large acts releasing new stuff on a weekly basis right now?

Well we donít know where the album is in the process either. We know they are done recording, but maybe itís only in the mixing phase which could take a couple weeks with the master. Then to get the #1 theyíll need to produce the units to sell, commission the album art, THEN have some number of weeks to hype. I think it could still take some time before we officially hear about it.

somuchtoplay 10-29-2020 03:33 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbnut21 (Post 17815858)
So, everyone is saying they have to protect the #1 streak, which I get. My question though is, couldn't they find a pretty empty/easy week and just do 2-3 weeks of hype and release and hit #1? I feel like the overall stream of new music has slowed down some and so if they found a light week they could just sneak in, hit #1 and move on. Am I wrong here? Are there that many large acts releasing new stuff on a weekly basis right now?


Do EP's count towards the album streak? If not, and they are worried about preserving the streak, release an EP of new material every 3-6 months and then release a full length later down the road.


They could also sneak it in on a quiet week with like 6 different buying options (CD, Digital, 4 different colored vinyls)....you know some people are collecting them all. I think Jason Isbell ultimately released his last album in 7 different shades of vinyl color (Black, Fire, creamsicle, Blue, Green, Clear, Coke Bottle).

ExistenceNow 10-29-2020 03:38 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
There's no way it could possibly be worse than Come Tomorrow, right?

Right??

K270 10-29-2020 03:50 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbnut21 (Post 17815858)
So, everyone is saying they have to protect the #1 streak, which I get. My question though is, couldn't they find a pretty empty/easy week and just do 2-3 weeks of hype and release and hit #1? I feel like the overall stream of new music has slowed down some and so if they found a light week they could just sneak in, hit #1 and move on. Am I wrong here? Are there that many large acts releasing new stuff on a weekly basis right now?


AC/DC has another album coming out in November I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17815915)
Well we donít know where the album is in the process either. We know they are done recording, but maybe itís only in the mixing phase which could take a couple weeks with the master. Then to get the #1 theyíll need to produce the units to sell, commission the album art, THEN have some number of weeks to hype. I think it could still take some time before we officially hear about it.

I think the WWE is helping promote AC/DCs new album by making one song off of the album as the theme song for their Nov. PPV. DMB is going to have the WWE promote their album, but the guys can do the usual promotion of talk shows and maybe Saturday Night Live.

dontdrink36 10-29-2020 03:53 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 17815922)
There's no way it could possibly be worse than Come Tomorrow, right?

Right??

That depends on the number of cooks (producers) in the kitchen. If they went with one producer to help shape the vision into a cohesive thought than worst case scenario is the album is on par with AFTW. If they let everyone they've ever worked with produce a song we get CT part 2.

Cptn. Monkeyman 10-29-2020 04:22 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17815948)
That depends on the number of cooks (producers) in the kitchen. If they went with one producer to help shape the vision into a cohesive thought than worst case scenario is the album is on par with AFTW. If they let everyone they've ever worked with produce a song we get CT part 2.

I hope itís just Rob Evens and Dave producing this record. I liked Come Tomorrow for the songs, not necessarily the production. Like you said, too many hands on the record, and it showed. With that said, I still hope we get a CT part 2 one day. Even if itís just an EP, I just want the left over tracks that were cut from the album. How would people feel about a 5 track EP companion for a Come Tomorrow anniversary like this?

1. Bismarck
2. Break Free
3. Kill the King
4. Sugar Will
5. Death on the High Seas

I think itíd be even better than the LP, similar to how I feel about the Little Red Bird EP compared to Big Whiskey.

dontdrink36 10-29-2020 04:25 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17816015)
I hope itís just Rob Evens and Dave producing this record. I liked Come Tomorrow for the songs, not necessarily the production. Like you said, too many hands on the record, and it showed. With that said, I still hope we get a CT part 2 one day. Even if itís just an EP, I just want the left over tracks that were cut from the album. How would people feel about a 5 track EP companion for a Come Tomorrow anniversary like this?

1. Bismarck
2. Break Free
3. Kill the King
4. Sugar Will
5. Death on the High Seas

I think itíd be even better than the LP, similar to how I feel about the Little Red Bird EP compared to Big Whiskey.

I'd love those songs to be released down the road. And I think at some point in the next 20-25 years most of it will be.

For now I'd just like those songs to come back into rotation at shows whenever those happen again

KevinTH 10-29-2020 04:25 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenticus (Post 17815222)
Yíall forgetting too - the internet is a thing and it wouldnít be shocking for Dave to send the different members demos and sketches of tunes for them to listen to and get ideas of parts together on before the roll up to the studio. Less than a week physically in studio for horns may sound short but most of us, myself included, have no clue how much pre-work may go into it.

Iím doing exactly this with my band. We are all scattered about New England. I record a scratch guitar/vocal track and send it to the band. They spend whatever time they need with it and send it back (usually drums and bass together). Then we add my guitar player, I re-record my parts and boom, done. If anything itís been better for us in a way because it gives them more time to sit and spend time with the song and come up with ideas. A lot easier than getting together on a Tuesday night after work trying to hash things out in a two hour block.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17815276)
Add Kill the King to the album, have it be a single, half of America just sitting there thinking "since when was DMB ever not soft soccer mom music??"

I am all for this song making a return, but Dave has to spend some serious time on those lyrics. What he came up with in 2011 and 2018 was hot garbage. The music is very strong, but those lyrics were so bad in 2018 I couldnít look past them.

WhereYouGoin 10-29-2020 09:39 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
I want to know when more unissued sessions will leak.

ToySoldier#34 10-29-2020 09:51 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 17816022)
Iím doing exactly this with my band. We are all scattered about New England. I record a scratch guitar/vocal track and send it to the band. They spend whatever time they need with it and send it back (usually drums and bass together). Then we add my guitar player, I re-record my parts and boom, done. If anything itís been better for us in a way because it gives them more time to sit and spend time with the song and come up with ideas. A lot easier than getting together on a Tuesday night after work trying to hash things out in a two hour block.



I am all for this song making a return, but Dave has to spend some serious time on those lyrics. What he came up with in 2011 and 2018 was hot garbage. The music is very strong, but those lyrics were so bad in 2018 I couldnít look past them.


Excited to hear new music from SRB!


I just love the mood changes and contrast between the verses and the chorus, seems like the chorus lyrics are pretty much the same as they've always been iirc.

Cscottrun 10-29-2020 09:56 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 17815922)
There's no way it could possibly be worse than Come Tomorrow, right?

Right??

It can't be. There is no way, right?

CT just comes off as so lazy for me. Grab a couple old songs, write a few new ones in one or two takes without the rest of the band, and then grab a couple semi new songs that have been played live (Sam Cop, VITR), and boom. It's honestly shocking it took so long for that album to come out after AFTW. Feels like an album that could have been written in two days (it may have been lol).

ElijahSoRight72 10-29-2020 10:11 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17816265)
It can't be. There is no way, right?

CT just comes off as so lazy for me. Grab a couple old songs, write a few new ones in one or two takes without the rest of the band, and then grab a couple semi new songs that have been played live (Sam Cop, VITR), and boom. It's honestly shocking it took so long for that album to come out after AFTW. Feels like an album that could have been written in two days (it may have been lol).

The big loss to me was a scrapped second Cavallo album. I feel like the Cavallo tracks (Sam Cop, VITR, B&BB, A&A, Here On Out) were the best songs on the album but they definitely didn't feel complete. Bismarck and Death on the High Seas were part of those sessions too. And I would have like to have heard the studio version of Be Yourself too. But that's what really slowed the process down. It was reported that Dave was working with Cavallo again in Nov. 2013, but scrapping an album always adds years to the gap between albums.

There is NO WAY this album will be worse than CT. My guess from what we've heard is it's produced by Rob Evans and only Rob Evans, all in a single session with new songs. That alone will make it worlds better than CT.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.