Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

hailtopitt 01-30-2014 07:30 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15073286)
just got some lower bowls for tonights game against the caps.

never seen ovi play in person.

just watch 8 every time he's on the ice

he commands the attention of the entire arena, should be a fun game d00d

Bron Yr Aur 01-30-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15073249)
At worst, he's a step in the right direction. Now, if we can get some competent defense in front of him...

I mean that's what I'm getting at. It's nice to have a goalie that can steal you a game or two, but that's not a recipe for winning long-term. Giving up 59 shots (and 100!! shot attempts) is pretty bad.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-30-2014 07:54 AM

Matty my new next door neighbor is a scout for CBJ. You should talk to him and try to get a job in the NHL because based on what I've heard him say so far you know way more than him.

dmbetc 01-30-2014 08:25 AM

Wow Scrivens!

TMoore4075 01-30-2014 08:26 AM

Looks like still no Datsyuk. Zetterberg practicing so whatever back thing was bugging him, looks like he'll be back tomorrow.

unccrombie 01-30-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15073291)
just watch 8 every time he's on the ice

he commands the attention of the entire arena, should be a fun game d00d

just like sid the kid, man.
do people still call him that?

hailtopitt 01-30-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15073509)
just like sid the kid, man.
do people still call him that?

yea but it's approaching that age where it's kind of weird

i always preferred the wizard of cros myself though

dmbetc 01-30-2014 08:30 AM

I'll be seeing Sid the kid tonight.

unccrombie 01-30-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15073515)
yea but it's approaching that age where it's kind of weird

i always preferred the wizard of cros myself though

i dig that, totally dig it.

dmbetc 01-30-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15073249)
At worst, he's a step in the right direction. Now, if we can get some competent defense in front of him...

Looks like they do just fine in front of him.

Love the two in the net forming a wall together.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/5f08c86be...tb9fo3_500.gif

salrx95 01-30-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15073275)

Underrated defensive boner of the night, just for you Sal: Calvin De Haan. As long as the kid can get a little stronger, he will be an awesome all-around defenseman. I'll spare the full report, but he's a great puck mover and plays really well in his own end. Add some strength and experience, and all of a sudden the loss of guys like AMac and others won't sting nearly as bad.

Yeah, you like him, too. CDH has been a long time coming. Was supposed to be a late first rounder and we move up to 12 to take him and has been fragile and seemingly made out of glass since. I like what I see as well. He is a keeper if he can stay healthy and shoulder remains intact. Certainly all the injuries and rehab/setbacks has negatively impacted his development but he is still young and we still have high hopes for him.

fonzz41 01-30-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15073566)
Looks like they do just fine in front of him.

Love the two in the net forming a wall together.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/5f08c86be...tb9fo3_500.gif

Awesome too see :thumbsup. Actually believing in your goalie can do wonders for a defenseman's commitment level, and vice versa.
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15073575)
Yeah, you like him, too. CDH has been a long time coming. Was supposed to be a late first rounder and we move up to 12 to take him and has been fragile and seemingly made out of glass since. I like what I see as well. He is a keeper if he can stay healthy and shoulder remains intact. Certainly all the injuries and rehab/setbacks has negatively impacted his development but he is still young and we still have high hopes for him.

I'd heard the name, but hadn't really paid any attention to him or his progress since he was drafted. Didn't know about the injuries, that's too bad. Like I said, the biggest thing I noticed was his physicality - basically non-existant at this point. Get some meat on them bones and a bit of a mean streak, and he'll be everything you want.

fonzz41 01-30-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15073379)
Matty my new next door neighbor is a scout for CBJ. You should talk to him and try to get a job in the NHL because based on what I've heard him say so far you know way more than him.

Bring me on and you'll have a whole team of defensive defensemen! :lol But seriously, that's nice of you to say... put me in touch with the dude!

lockman21 01-30-2014 08:57 AM

1) Happy birthday Matty! I've been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to be in this thread/wish you a happy birthday. Hope it was a good one for ya.

2) Scrivens post game - "LOL Corsi is hilarious"

3) Duncan Keith might be the best player on the Blackhawks. Watching that guy every night is a fucking treat. No doubt in my mind he's the Norris frontrunner right now. The way he's moving the puck is other-worldly.

4) Johnny Oduya has been bad. BBBBBAAAAAAAADDDDDDDD lately. Turning the puck over in bad areas of the ice, being caught pinching at the worst times, moving the puck really poorly, throwing careless passes across the center of the ice in the defensive zone, being caught flat footed at the blue line causing him to chase, taking bad penalties...he's been awful. Not sure what's up with him, but his last 10 or so games have been atrocious.

5) The idea that the NHL should play an outdoor game in AZ/FL/etc. to show they're really committed to hockey there is a good one, but not right away. They don't and shouldn't have to play a game there to try and show they're committed when this is still a new idea. It's too risky for an outdoor game like that to flop. The outdoor games need to be tested out for a couple years to see how they're received in well marketed areas first. This is the first year of Stadium Series games, and I think they did a great job of picking locations/teams. LA was a great choice for a warm weather game at an iconic stadium to see how warm weather hockey would be received. You can't just throw a Lightning/Panthers game in there, or Coyotes/Blue Jackets game at Sun Devil Stadium for the risk of potentially killing any momentum the Stadium Series might have started. Give it a couple years, and maybe by year 3 of the Stadium Series we'll see a game like that.

6) I can't wait for the Olympics.

7) The Bauer OD1N equipment is insane. Have you guys seen that stuff?

fonzz41 01-30-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15073622)
1) Happy birthday Matty! I've been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to be in this thread/wish you a happy birthday. Hope it was a good one for ya.

2) Scrivens post game - "LOL Corsi is hilarious"

3) Duncan Keith might be the best player on the Blackhawks. Watching that guy every night is a fucking treat. No doubt in my mind he's the Norris frontrunner right now. The way he's moving the puck is other-worldly.

4) Johnny Oduya has been bad. BBBBBAAAAAAAADDDDDDDD lately. Turning the puck over in bad areas of the ice, being caught pinching at the worst times, moving the puck really poorly, throwing careless passes across the center of the ice in the defensive zone, being caught flat footed at the blue line causing him to chase, taking bad penalties...he's been awful. Not sure what's up with him, but his last 10 or so games have been atrocious.

5) The idea that the NHL should play an outdoor game in AZ/FL/etc. to show they're really committed to hockey there is a good one, but not right away. They don't and shouldn't have to play a game there to try and show they're committed when this is still a new idea. It's too risky for an outdoor game like that to flop. The outdoor games need to be tested out for a couple years to see how they're received in well marketed areas first. This is the first year of Stadium Series games, and I think they did a great job of picking locations/teams. LA was a great choice for a warm weather game at an iconic stadium to see how warm weather hockey would be received. You can't just throw a Lightning/Panthers game in there, or Coyotes/Blue Jackets game at Sun Devil Stadium for the risk of potentially killing any momentum the Stadium Series might have started. Give it a couple years, and maybe by year 3 of the Stadium Series we'll see a game like that.

6) I can't wait for the Olympics.

7) The Bauer OD1N equipment is insane. Have you guys seen that stuff?

1) Thanks man! Glad to have you back.

3) Agreed. :thumbsup

4) Sheesh... I stick my neck out for a guy and this is how he repays me. :rolleyes

lockman21 01-30-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15073647)
4) Sheesh... I stick my neck out for a guy and this is how he repays me. :rolleyes

:lol I know. He's just been awful. Constant hooking and tripping penalties while chasing 2-on-1's and 3-on-1's because he was caught in the offensive zone. Last night he kept making mistakes you see 13 year olds get yelled at for in the defensive zone. Behind the goal line throwing the puck lazily straight across the middle of the ice and it (no shit) ends up being a turnover. Come on, man.

Also, in regards to Keith, he just has such great vision and is moving the puck so fucking well.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...13020808-292-h

While Oduya has been the worst Hawk on the ice over this "slump" the Hawks have been in, Keith has clearly been the best. Not only his puck movement, but him breaking up plays, constantly intercepting passes, and...holy fuck is it fun to just watch him skate. It's like poetry in motion watching him just move his feet. Christ, what I would give to have that man's skating ability.

fonzz41 01-30-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15073768)
:lol I know. He's just been awful. Constant hooking and tripping penalties while chasing 2-on-1's and 3-on-1's because he was caught in the offensive zone. Last night he kept making mistakes you see 13 year olds get yelled at for in the defensive zone. Behind the goal line throwing the puck lazily straight across the middle of the ice and it (no shit) ends up being a turnover. Come on, man.

Also, in regards to Keith, he just has such great vision and is moving the puck so fucking well.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...13020808-292-h

While Oduya has been the worst Hawk on the ice over this "slump" the Hawks have been in, Keith has clearly been the best. Not only his puck movement, but him breaking up plays, constantly intercepting passes, and...holy fuck is it fun to just watch him skate. It's like poetry in motion watching him just move his feet. Christ, what I would give to have that man's skating ability.

He probably found out Hammer's screwing his GF or something.

Despite my ravings of Oduya's play before (and it was quite good then... haven't watched him since and it sounds like it's good that I haven't), it's always been obvious that Keith is the man. I completely agree about his skating... like watching a race horse out there.

He's Lidstrom-esque in that he's not big, but makes up for it with smarts. Not many defenseman are SMART enough to get by that way.

lockman21 01-30-2014 10:44 AM

BTW, Matty, I'm not sure how much of an equipment junkie you are, but I just picked one of these up:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hock...z-grip-sr.html

Has a LOT of pop in snap shots and wristers. Pretty excited to get it.

fonzz41 01-30-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15074179)
BTW, Matty, I'm not sure how much of an equipment junkie you are, but I just picked one of these up:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hock...z-grip-sr.html

Has a LOT of pop in snap shots and wristers. Pretty excited to get it.

I'm not a huge equipment junkie (most of my equipment is the same stuff I used in high school :lol ), but I must have a good twig. I've heard good things about these ones. How do you like the medium flex? I'm more of a stiffer flex myself (bow chicka bow bow) due to the type of game I play. Anything past about medium makes me feel like I'm playing with a wet noodle :lol

lockman21 01-30-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15074233)
I'm not a huge equipment junkie (most of my equipment is the same stuff I used in high school :lol ), but I must have a good twig. I've heard good things about these ones. How do you like the medium flex? I'm more of a stiffer flex myself (bow chicka bow bow) due to the type of game I play. Anything past about medium makes me feel like I'm playing with a wet noodle :lol

I actually got an 85 flex/Tavares curve. I'm still adjusting to playing defense, and trying not to Mike Green it too much out there, but I do sometimes, so the 85 flex works well for me.

My good buddy is just like you, needs 100+. He claims it's because he's used to wood/aluminum sticks back there anyway, but he's a defenseman's defenseman. Love him in the defensive zone, but I don't think I've ever seen him score a goal, and god help us if he's playing the point on the PP :lol

I actually just got an Easton Mako on clearance for like $50 in a 75 flex for the hell of it a couple months ago. I feel like I got one of these things out there:

http://www.apurposedrivenhome.com/wp...s-300x1991.jpg

kev87lads 01-30-2014 11:13 AM

Flyers to lose by 50 tonight @ the Ducks?

JRS1386 01-30-2014 11:20 AM

47 if Mason is in goal, 50 if Emery

swordo84 01-30-2014 11:33 AM

@AnsarKhanMLive: Johan Franzen has withdrawn from Olympics for Sweden due to his concussion.

It was also noted that H. Sedin is still not skating too.

TMoore4075 01-30-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15074350)
@AnsarKhanMLive: Johan Franzen has withdrawn from Olympics for Sweden due to his concussion.

It was also noted that H. Sedin is still not skating too.

Not all surprised by the first one. I noticed yesterday someone saying Henrik hasn't been practicing. Sweden taking the hits.

bradshaw06 01-30-2014 07:41 PM

big test tonight for the pens. shame fleury isnt starting.

bradshaw06 01-30-2014 07:56 PM

very very physical so far.

HallowBillies7 01-30-2014 09:18 PM

The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Ugly Bruins game tonight, there's a problem if the team says they had no emotion against their biggest rival.

Didn't really understand Claude Julien pulling Rask, he was the only one on the team doing or at least trying to do something. It obviously didn't wake the team up either.

waterboy100 01-30-2014 09:25 PM

Fuck, the kings are so bad right now.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Dramageek 01-30-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterboy100 (Post 15075483)
Fuck, the kings are so bad right now.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

When you have Tanner Glass scoring on you with a wicked backhand (a phrase that may never be typed or uttered again), your team is having a rough patch. :lol

dmbetc 01-30-2014 10:03 PM

The Kings are so embarrassing right now. I was really hoping them being back in their barn that this would be the turn around game. Penguins have too much skill and they showed that well tonight while the Kings looked like a pee wee hockey team.

We left early to beat traffic, we win tonight.

Chris - I thanked Dave tonight for getting you downstairs and he spoke very highly of you!