Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMB Tour Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Why are people saying C'ville N2 had a bad set? (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=297683)

jmudmbphan 11-23-2010 06:27 AM

Why are people saying C'ville N2 had a bad set?

In what world is:

Proudest Monkey
Say Goodbye
Rhyme And Reason
Crush
The Song That Jane Likes
Dancing Nancies
Long Black Veil
New Intro >
What You Are
Granny
#40 tease
Last Stop
Too Much fake>
Anyone Seen The Bridge>
Too Much fake>
Ants Marching

...a bad set?

Shit, that's just the highlights from N2...that could almost be a set in and of itself....

DMBzilla 11-23-2010 06:29 AM

Re: Why are people saying C'ville N2 had a bad set?

The first 80 minutes or so was kind of weak, and at times straight up boring. Luckily, they turned it all around and it ended up being a great show.

CGTP13 11-23-2010 06:31 AM

Started pretty slowly. They picked up steam though and finished very strong.

hoggdogg 11-23-2010 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBzilla (Post 12050608)
The first 80 minutes or so was kind of weak, and at times straight up boring. Luckily, they turned it all around and it ended up being a great show.

This.

I was pretty grumpy the 1/2 half of the show.. sat most of the time and took a few trips for beers & bathroom breaks.

Jhams 11-23-2010 06:33 AM

because people have other opinions. i dont think anyone thinks its a BAD set, but it could and should have been way better then it was

SyracuseFan 11-23-2010 06:35 AM

Because dmb fans enjoy bitching about everything.

Foreverford05 11-23-2010 06:39 AM

Meh, sure it could have been better, but I cant complain too much. I think Dave played what was fun for him, knowing it was the last one for a while. They looked like they had so much fun, Ive never seen Rashawn smile that much before. Boyd was on as usual, soaking up some spotlight like he should be, and Carter looked like he could play for 3 more hrs after that. Seeing how much fun they had and not just walking through the songs was a good enough reason to jam to whatever they played.

prinserj21 11-23-2010 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SyracuseFan (Post 12050630)
Because dmb fans enjoy bitching about everything.

This

I enjoyed the hell out of both nights and my entire time in C'Ville. Find something to make it fun. The light show alone should be able to keep anybody entertained for the entire show let alone hearing The DAVE MATTHEWS BAND playing! I don't understand how people can sit down at all.

btpeters 11-23-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmudmbphan (Post 12050595)
In what world is:

Proudest Monkey
Say Goodbye
Rhyme And Reason
Crush
The Song That Jane Likes
Dancing Nancies
Long Black Veil
New Intro >
What You Are
Granny
#40 tease
Last Stop
Too Much fake>
Anyone Seen The Bridge>
Too Much fake>
Ants Marching

...a bad set?

Shit, that's just the highlights from N2...that could almost be a set in and of itself....

YMDT, Satellite, Digging A Ditch, Lying In The Hands of God, and Some Devil are pretty swell themselves

Kevaroo 11-23-2010 07:57 PM

I thought it was a great set, I just can't stand Can't Stop, I actually left and just stood out in the concourse during it. Didn't have to pee or need a beer. I just truly think it is awful even by the best band in the world.

spoot388 11-23-2010 08:28 PM

it was underwhelming because they played YMDT, PM, Eh Hee, Cant Stop, Write A Song, and Cornbread over songs like Crash Into Me, Rapunzel, Tripping Billies, What Would You Say, and Best of Whats Around, which are classic DMB songs that should not be missing (at least not ALL of them) from a final show before any sort of extended break from touring. add in the fact that they could have busted out some gems like Dreaming Tree and Typical Situation and what they did play looks less and less appealing.

crashintonickdm 11-23-2010 08:30 PM

it wasnt a bad set, and nobody is really saying it is.

eh hee, cornbread and cant stop had no business being in that set.

onlytbone 11-28-2010 01:50 PM

Eh hee and Corn Bread soured me a little bit, but the overall energy of the show was just fantastic. Sure it might have been nice to get Typical or JTR, but they still put on a great show

Utopia 11-29-2010 07:22 PM

Looking back on it, I'm pissed at myself for letting myself get pissed in the first half hour. In turned out to be quite a ridiculously good show. True, that if they'd chosen others over those three shiteous tunes, it would've been epic.

420th jimi 11-29-2010 10:08 PM

I went in with the bar set low so I enjoyed the show big time, beginning to end. I figure they played what Dave enjoys playing and that is why we saw the songs we did. Taking some time off so it is only fitting he plays a few tunes that he likes, regardless of what others think. Thus we got Corn Bread and YMDT along with Can't Stop. I thought all those songs sounded pretty good but I enjoyed the other songs more. Low bar makes for a great show and this show did not disappoint.

TheLastStop1992 11-29-2010 10:13 PM

I set the bar too high but regardless it was a top 3 show(overall) for me. Performance wise it was the best show I've seen. I have never seen/heard this band play so well/impassioned/incredible. Set wise number 1 for me is still Camden N2 2010. Just being there was incredible though. It was more about the experience than the set.

Still, it was a pretty good set. It wasnt what everyone was expecting though.

Num4TOne 12-03-2010 09:07 AM

not sure if anyones done this and i dont feel like searching but here is a hypothetical cville n3 of jams they didnt play and im sure im missing some great ones but its pretty wild how great their catalog really is

One Sweet World (with intro)
Seek Up
Minarets
Stone
Best Of Whats Around
What would you say
Lover lay down
Dreaming Tree
So much to say>
Astb>
Too much
Busted Stuff
Crash
You never know
Pig
Bartender
Pnp
Rapunz
Drive in Drive out

Dive in (solo)
Blue Water
Typical
Billies

rickyh24 12-03-2010 09:12 AM

Probably because of the first half of the show.

Utopia 12-03-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Num4TOne (Post 12085225)
not sure if anyones done this and i dont feel like searching but here is a hypothetical cville n3 of jams they didnt play and im sure im missing some great ones but its pretty wild how great their catalog really is

One Sweet World (with intro)
Seek Up
Minarets
Stone
Best Of Whats Around
What would you say
Lover lay down
Dreaming Tree
So much to say>
Astb>
Too much
Busted Stuff
Crash
You never know
Pig
Bartender
Pnp
Rapunz
Drive in Drive out

Dive in (solo)
Blue Water
Typical
Billies

That would've easily been the best show since '03...toooo bad.

seekupig 12-03-2010 09:21 AM

because people set unrealistic expectations for "special" shows which ultimately leads to unwarrented disappointment. it happens every year.

rickyh24 12-03-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekupig (Post 12085307)
because people set unrealistic expectations for "special" shows which ultimately leads to unwarrented disappointment. it happens every year.

Msg n2 did not disappoint me at all.

420th jimi 12-03-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 12085366)
Msg n2 did not disappoint me at all.

Dave not having a voice didn't disappoint you at all?

Utopia 12-03-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 420th jimi (Post 12086421)

Were you even at the show? I was. It was a fucking fantastic show and it's not true that Dave didn't have a voice, it was just lacking in the first 4-5 songs, which made it that much more special.

Flipping Willie 12-03-2010 01:37 PM

It was a little less then I expected for the last show of the tour but then again N1 was waaaay above my expectations so the weekend as a whole reached my expectations.

staticwaves 12-03-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

MSG 2 was better than Cville 2.. I think anyone who went to both would say the same. Both were fun as hell though.

Jhams 12-03-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

nope! cause it came back. the only time that was disappointing is when he just gave up on ftwii...other then that dave did fine

Jhams 12-03-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staticwaves (Post 12086445)
MSG 2 was better than Cville 2.. I think anyone who went to both would say the same. Both were fun as hell though.

i agree with you. in my 28 shows, i have never been with a louder crowd then at MSG N2...that building was on fire

Primetime41 12-03-2010 01:40 PM

Because people who weren't there are jealous.

staticwaves 12-03-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhams (Post 12086458)
i agree with you. in my 28 shows, i have never been with a louder crowd then at MSG N2...that building was on fire

I had a single seat in the back of the arena sandwiched between a family that sat half the show & a couple that were all over each other the entire night.... It was still the most fun I had at a show this year by far. FTWII was really the only disappointment, like you said.

kaahhnn 12-06-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staticwaves (Post 12086503)
I had a single seat in the back of the arena sandwiched between a family that sat half the show & a couple that were all over each other the entire night.... It was still the most fun I had at a show this year by far. FTWII was really the only disappointment, like you said.

You wouldn't have happened to be in section 215 by any chance?

Also, MSG night 1 was great, night 2 was incredible! Absolutely unbelievable show. The few songs in the begining Daves voice were weak for still sounded good, you could just tell he was struggling. Came back real quick though. Besides, first time they played Christmas Song full band in a while, Dive In solo, Crush, PIG, #41, Best of Whats Around, Sister, The Song That Jane Likes, Last Stop, Rhyme & Reason, Dancing Nancies, Dont Drink The Water..... Really, how could anyone say night 2 wasn't a ridiculous setlist? Granny would have been a nice replacement for You and Me is my only critique as hearing You and Me on night 1 was good to me, no need to repeat. If that is my only gripe, I really couldn't ask for much of a better show.

**Can't forget Two Step and Everyday with Vusi Mahlasela