Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

daveshookme 06-11-2017 09:24 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters but covering the puck doesn't

Let's be real, even if they made the correct call they still would have had to play more than half the game without giving up a goal, and then go into Pittsburgh and win.

Not saying it couldn't have happened but fuck, it would have been difficult.

bradshaw06 06-11-2017 09:30 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters but covering the puck doesn't

Sid in the last calendar year
Cup
Conn Smythe
World Cup Gold
World Cup MVP
1000'th point
Hart Nominee
Rocket Richard
Another Cup
Conn Smythe

thechad90000 06-11-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 16812289)
Let's be real, even if they made the correct call they still would have had to play more than half the game without giving up a goal, and then go into Pittsburgh and win.

Not saying it couldn't have happened but fuck, it would have been difficult.

No doubt it would have been difficult. Game would have been 1-0 with 1:30 left instead of 0-0. Pens would have had an empty net. Then yes, the Preds would have had to win in Pitt. But given the overturned goal in 1 (which was disputable) this one stung even more.

DMBzilla 06-11-2017 10:15 PM

"They had other chances to score" is such a bullshit argument. Both teams had chances all game. The ref blew the call when it mattered and it cost Nashville the game, and series, period. To lose that way is horrible.

cry_minarets458 06-11-2017 10:17 PM

I had the game on in the office streaming but really didn't pay close attention. I hopefully can watch it tomorrow somehow

dmb9howell 06-11-2017 11:12 PM

Crosby's so good

barbogast 06-12-2017 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16812244)
He lost sight of the puck and thought Murray had it so he blew the whistle - it is what refs are instructed to do. Plus, it was that jerk sissions who put it in so karma is a bitch after his cheapshot on Maata in game 5. Additionally the refs knew it was a quick whistle so they gave a REALLY soft penalty to Sheary and then ignored clear cut penalties by rinne, sissions and ellis.

Regardless, congrats to pittsburgh fans - very happy you all beat those dirtbags even if it ties Crosby and Toews for cup wins.

No clue why the Conn Smyth was given to Crosby to be honest - my short list would have been Malkin, Guentzel and Murray.

Last thing - what a dumb ass penalty Daley took to make it a 5 on 3, luckily it did not cost the pens.

LATER TRASHVILLE - see you next season, take your catfishes and shove them up your asses! Way to go Pens, well earned victory, truthfully I have no idea how they advanced over the Jackets and the Caps given all their injuries and banged up players. To the preds, you all just got hot at the right time - the last team to qualify for the postseason goes to the final (aided by a lot of calls going their way) but got a big smackdown against a better team finally! :multi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16812257)
It was the right call from the angle he had though, as for it deciding the series, even if it counted the Pens had more than enough time to tie it up or ho ahead - not to mention even if it did decide THIS game there would still have been a game 7 in Pittsburgh. So yeah, that certainly did not decide the series by any means.

I can't believe you, of all people, are defending the refs right now. Unreal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16812283)
At least Brohan got banned, that's one good that came out of this

Brohan's ban was not deserved.

thechad90000 06-12-2017 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb9howell (Post 16812312)
Crosby's so good

So good that they just give him the Conn Smyth based on name alone!

JRS1386 06-12-2017 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812316)
I can't believe you, of all people, are defending the refs right now. Unreal.

Brohan's ban was not deserved.

Oh I know, but I'm not complaining.

salrx95 06-12-2017 04:01 AM

Congrats to the Pens fans in here and to Mark Streit.

The disallowed goal wasn't exactly Brett Hull's foot in the crease bad yet still pretty bad. The Preds had plenty chances to tie that game, though, including that late 5 on 3. Better team won. Preds PP just didn't get it done.

swordo84 06-12-2017 04:31 AM

Blaming the refs. Classic loser talk.

Congrats to the Pens and their loyal fans here!!

barbogast 06-12-2017 05:13 AM

Just watched the clip of the no goal.

Wow.

Good thing we have video review in sports. :rolleyes

jrkarger 06-12-2017 05:14 AM

LORD STANLEY LORD STANLEY GET ME THE BRANDY!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/l46CzD...1BUA/giphy.gif

barbogast 06-12-2017 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16812332)
Blaming the refs. Classic loser talk.

Congrats to the Pens and their loyal fans here!!

I didn't watch the game so I don't really know but I have to assume you're right. Never does the outcome of a game hinge fully on one call.

Still, that's a really bad time to have a clear as day blunder. Quite simply, in a world with 1080 video resolution at the push of a button, stuff like that should never happen. But especially not in game 6 of the SCF. That's true garage league stuff.

Dramageek 06-12-2017 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812338)
Just watched the clip of the no goal.

Wow.

Good thing we have video review in sports. :rolleyes

How does video review help that? Even live I heard the whistle. The rule is the rule. They don't even have to blow the whistle, they just have to have "intent to blow."

barbogast 06-12-2017 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16812349)
How does video review help that? Even live I heard the whistle. The rule is the rule. They don't even have to blow the whistle, they just have to have "intent to blow."

You change the stupid rule. That's step 1.

In a league where inconsequential offsides are reviewed with regularity, there is no argument you can make that will convince me that that call was acceptable.

jrkarger 06-12-2017 05:33 AM

The Ref blew the whistle. The play was dead immediately in that instant. You can't review something and award a goal when the puck crosses the line when play is stopped.

bradshaw06 06-12-2017 05:35 AM

Walkin on sunshine

barbogast 06-12-2017 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16812355)
The Ref blew the whistle. The play was dead immediately in that instant. You can't review something and award a goal when the puck crosses the line when play is stopped.

You should be able to

That's a ridiculous thought that with the technology available that what happened is just, eh, well ok. Shit happens.

Shit like that shouldn't, quite frankly.

Again, I'm sure the Predators had like thousand chances to tie it or take the lead or whatever.

But that play really shouldn't happen under the spotlight of SCF game 6. That's all I'm saying.

jrkarger 06-12-2017 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812360)
You should be able to

That's a ridiculous thought that with the technology available that what happened is just, eh, well ok. Shit happens.

Shit like that shouldn't, quite frankly.

Again, I'm sure the Predators had like thousand chances to tie it or take the lead or whatever.

But that play really shouldn't happen under the spotlight of SCF game 6. That's all I'm saying.

I wholeheartedly agree that it was a bad call in a crucial game. I'll also point out, as you did that the Preds had plenty of other chances and the Pens never had a PP at all.

With that said, I don't agree with the notion that replay would help in that instant because (at least IMO) you can't review something that happened when play was dead. You just can't; in any sport.

Now, I'll gladly debate and acknowledge that the officiating could be improved with either another ref on the ice or another ref in the booth or in Toronto that has equal authority as the dudes on the ice so he can see things the other can't.

But, even in that situation nothing can be done if a ref on the ice blows a play dead.

swordo84 06-12-2017 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16812341)
I didn't watch the game so I don't really know but I have to assume you're right. Never does the outcome of a game hinge fully on one call.

Still, that's a really bad time to have a clear as day blunder. Quite simply, in a world with 1080 video resolution at the push of a button, stuff like that should never happen. But especially not in game 6 of the SCF. That's true garage league stuff.

Terrible call, no doubt but yes, the Preds had more than enough chances to make right and score numerous times.

Simply put, they weren't good enough last night.

YouNeverKnow25 06-12-2017 06:10 AM

still trying to figure out what replay could possibly do to help last night's blunder

aeroshady 06-12-2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16765021)
Pens are going to win the Cup. You heard it hear first. I have a feeling that they are going back-to-back.

Told you so ;)

This was before the playoffs even started!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16765025)
No Letang has me way off the Pens wagon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16765061)
Pens SCF appearances
91, 92

08, 09

16, 17?

I don't think we will win but if we get thru the first 2 rounds I think we at least get back to the final.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16765237)
Seriously?

I'm pretty surprised so many are weary of the Penguins. I understand there's injuries and Letang is a big one, but let's not forget that they are the ultimate playoff tested team and their first opponent has virtually 0 playoff experience and their likely second opponent is the Caps and all the lol'ness that comes with that. I would love to say I feel even remotely confident in a series against the Pens but I don't. At all.

It won't surprise me even a little bit if the Pens end up in round 3 or further.

This guy got it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16765472)
Losing Letang sucks a big one, no doubt. It will likely cost the Pens a chance to repeat. But I'm not totally discounting the rest of the blue line, especially as Cole and Schultz are having career years. And with Crosby playing some of the best hockey of his career, and a healthy, hungry Malkin in full beast mode, I think they get past Columbus and have a shot against the Caps. They likely will run out of steam and feel the full effect of Letang's loss, but they'll make some noise before that.

Only Pens fan with faith early.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16765509)
no Letang=no repeat

:lol I bet you have never been so happy to be so wrong.

no Letang = No problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16765526)
i don't think you understand how important Letang is to the Penguins then

is it possible for other guys to play poorly or mistakes? yes, of course

but if the Pens play their best hockey they still won't win because no Letang. he's the engine that propels their system.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16765588)
I hear what everyone is saying and I am not denying that Letang out makes it way harder. That said, It can be done. Lightning made it to game seven of the ECF without Stamkos last year. All I said was that I have a feeling about the Pens this year and that if they get out of the MET playoffs, they will be a favorite to win it all.

Hopefully I am wrong, I am not sure I want to see the Pens with the Cup again this soon :lol

When you have a feeling, just role with it. I wish I put money on that feeling now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16765730)
this isn't 2014 or 2015 though

if you beat the 2 best teams in the east, and 2 of the 3 best teams overall points-wise, you're going to get attention.

that's besides the point though. i never said the Pens couldn't make a run. just no way they repeat without Letang unless some unbelievable upsets happen elsewhere around the league.

Just getting silly at this point :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16768320)
Anyway, I also find it hysterical that Pens fans doubted my 4-0 sweep prediction against the Jackets. I guess it is always hard to except when your team really is that good. My feeling about the Pens just gets stronger. I think they repeat.

Still can't believe all the doubt the Pens fans had even in round 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16812288)
Lol all the whining in here

Pens are better than Nashville, and that's no knock on Nashville

Supper confident once his team wins it all :lol

In all seriousness though, congrats Pens fans! Enjoy this as it is the best run in your teams history and it wont last forever. Crosby has cemented his legacy for sure.

As for me, I am sad to report that this is just the 3rd time since 1995 that I didn't watch even a second of the Finals. I just got too busy to find the time to watch any game. Not really a priority for me anymore when the Rangers are not there. I guess I am becoming an older fan now.

The other 2 series were: Anaheim v Ottawa and Buffalo vs. Dallas. Every other finals I have watched at least one game.

DMBzilla 06-12-2017 06:36 AM

Replay isn't really an issue here. I don't think anyone is arguing that the play wasn't dead once it blew and the goal should have counted. The quick whistle is the problem - it was a horrible call made by a ref who was in awful position. You can almost see the linesman who skates up to him on the replay say the puck was never controlled.

fonzz41 06-12-2017 07:01 AM

I was saddened to see that play go down. Man, that ref and how he must feel...

In the end, one of my old coaches used to say that to win any game you have to beat two things:
The other team
The refs
Bad/missed calls are going to happen, and the goal is to be good enough that they don't matter.

aeroshady 06-12-2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16812429)

In the end, one of my old coaches used to say that to win any game you have to beat two things:
The other team
The refs
Bad/missed calls are going to happen, and the goal is to be good enough that they don't matter.

:thumbsup

Doesn't excuse the performance the Preds had in game 5. They put themselves in that situation.

lockman21 06-12-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16812429)

The other team
The refs

Just my 2 cents - but doesn't the ref usually try to hustle behind the net real quick in that situation? So he can try and find the puck in that 1-2 seconds? He had no effort, just blew it dead.

DMBzilla 06-12-2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16812445)
Just my 2 cents - but doesn't the ref usually try to hustle behind the net real quick in that situation? So he can try and find the puck in that 1-2 seconds? He had no effort, just blew it dead.

Made the same point last night. Take a half second to get behind the net and make sure.

Dramageek 06-12-2017 08:01 AM

I'll certainly agree that the ref did a terrible job there. Though, as a slight counter to that, the quick whistle sometimes is used to protect the goaltender from getting plastered in the inevitable scrum. And Nashville was running Murray all series. Even so, the whistle was quick under those circumstances. And, to be fair, there is a rule under the Video Review section that allows plays whistled dead to be reviewed when it looks like the puck was going in via a "continuous action" that would have happened regardless of the whistle, whatever that exactly means. I'm not sure that applies here because Sissons hit it in well after the whistle was blown. Terrible job nonetheless.

Regardless, though I know some of you seem very sure, we can't know what would've happened if that goal counted. Yes, Rinne was playing well and the Preds were doing a good job limiting chances. But maybe the Pens would have, you know, gotten a power play (not that that had been overly effective.) Maybe Sully makes different adjustments being down a goal. There could very well have been a Game 7. However, if we are judging potential outcomes on context, then Nashville likely gets creamed in Game 7.

No matter what, it's in the books now, asterisk or no. Go to the NFL thread and ask Pats fans how much those asterisked championships bother them! :lol

jrkarger 06-12-2017 08:55 AM

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol asterisk

Anyway, I have to say, I never get tired of seeing Mario do this....

https://www.nhl.com/news/pens-legend...am/c-289893450