Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

coldengrey12 04-11-2017 03:37 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

I'm on the Sharks bandwagon this spring since the Avs are eliminated from both the '16-'17 and, somehow, the '17-'18 playoff race, too.

aeroshady 04-11-2017 04:45 PM

Pens are going to win the Cup. You heard it hear first. I have a feeling that they are going back-to-back.

lockman21 04-11-2017 04:54 PM

No Letang has me way off the Pens wagon.

TheLastPig 04-11-2017 05:29 PM

Pens SCF appearances
91, 92

08, 09

16, 17?

I don't think we will win but if we get thru the first 2 rounds I think we at least get back to the final.

lockman21 04-11-2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16763965)
I know Tim is super busy right now, so I went ahead and created this year's bracket challenge. NHL's website is hot garbage right now, so maybe wait until tonight to fill it out.

https://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/lea...bannertown-usa

password: banners

Bumping again. Fill it out if you haven't already!

lockman21 04-11-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16765061)
Pens SCF appearances
91, 92

08, 09

16, 17?

I don't think we will win but if we get thru the first 2 rounds I think we at least get back to the final.

The East is just too hard. You can get by without Letang for some time in the regular season, but in the NHL playoffs? I just don't see it. That defense is going to be beaten and busted to try and get through three rounds.

If they can survive the BJs, I just don't see how they get past the Caps. They're best hope is for the Leafs to upset the Caps.

But who knows? Weirder things have happened.

JRS1386 04-12-2017 03:35 AM

I eenie meenie minnie moe'ed my way through that. Hairy legs will be happy I have the Rags winning it all

barbogast 04-12-2017 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16765194)
The East is just too hard. You can get by without Letang for some time in the regular season, but in the NHL playoffs? I just don't see it. That defense is going to be beaten and busted to try and get through three rounds.

If they can survive the BJs, I just don't see how they get past the Caps. They're best hope is for the Leafs to upset the Caps.

But who knows? Weirder things have happened.

Seriously?

I'm pretty surprised so many are weary of the Penguins. I understand there's injuries and Letang is a big one, but let's not forget that they are the ultimate playoff tested team and their first opponent has virtually 0 playoff experience and their likely second opponent is the Caps and all the lol'ness that comes with that. I would love to say I feel even remotely confident in a series against the Pens but I don't. At all.

It won't surprise me even a little bit if the Pens end up in round 3 or further.

unccrombie 04-12-2017 05:04 AM

Haven't truly sat down to watch a Rangers game in about 2 months.

East:
Pens in 7
Caps in 5
Canadiens in 6
Sens in 7

West:
Hawks in 6
Blues in 6
Ducks in 5
Oilers in 7

aeroshady 04-12-2017 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16765193)
Bumping again. Fill it out if you haven't already!

I am in!

My bracket is different than what I posted here though. Decided to let my Rangers fly in the bracket challenge! (Still don't have them winning, but going further this time!)

aeroshady 04-12-2017 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16765237)
Seriously?

I'm pretty surprised so many are weary of the Penguins. I understand there's injuries and Letang is a big one, but let's not forget that they are the ultimate playoff tested team and their first opponent has virtually 0 playoff experience and their likely second opponent is the Caps and all the lol'ness that comes with that. I would love to say I feel even remotely confident in a series against the Pens but I don't. At all.

It won't surprise me even a little bit if the Pens end up in round 3 or further.

I agree with all of this.

Caps are the better team this year, but until they get past the second round, I can't pick them. That said, if the Caps do get past the second round...watch out league!

TheLastPig 04-12-2017 05:53 AM

Happy playoff day!

fonzz41 04-12-2017 06:05 AM

Quote:

Seriously?

In before Jamie says that, actually, the Hawks are the ultimate playoff tested team. Along with something about their blue line depth.

~Crashintome89~ 04-12-2017 06:10 AM

I'm surprised many of us have the Rangers over the Habs. National media seems ambivalent.

barbogast 04-12-2017 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16765272)
In before Jamie says that, actually, the Hawks are the ultimate playoff tested team. Along with something about their blue line depth.

Yep. Definitely time to list some Hawks players.

kev87lads 04-12-2017 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16764921)
Nothing wrong with that.

FYI - if you click "My Bracket", you can edit your team name. Would be helpful if everyone had the same bracket name as their username on here.

Do this people. It makes it easier to make fun of everyone. Fix your names!

Climb2safety 04-12-2017 06:48 AM

I picked early exits for both Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Both opening series should be great. I don't see Nashville rolling over at all and hope Columbus can wear down the penguins.

aeroshady 04-12-2017 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16765276)
I'm surprised many of us have the Rangers over the Habs. National media seems ambivalent.

I am a little surprised as well.

Breaking it down a little further:

NY Rangers as a team: It is hard to really know what this team is right now. They were bounced early last year by the eventual Cup winner. That alone makes it hard to know if they took a huge step back, or just ran into the best team early.

They also got younger, faster and scoring is way up from their norm. On the other hand, Hank looks like a solid goalie but not a great one recently, and the defense is clearly the weakest it has been in years.

The Rangers were a good team this year in the best division. They ended the last 2 months pretty poorly though. So again, it makes it hard to tell what they are right now.

Playoffs against Montreal: So the big question is what NY Rangers team will be on the ice tonight in Montreal?

There is a lot of playoff experience in that locker room. Everyone knows that this team has the potential to raise their game to a level that makes them very hard to play against in the playoffs. We will find out if last year was just an off year that they ran into the best team early, or we will find out if they really are past their window.

The other factor is Montreal of course. The Rangers don't play that well against the Habs and Price. Yes the Rangers beat them in 6 games in the 2014 ECF, but Price only played some of game 1. Outside of that series, the Habs have pretty much dominated the Rangers.

Hank is awful in Montreal, and the Rangers will need to use their stellar road record to get out of this series.

The good news is that Montreal missed the playoffs last season and are a very different team then the one that made the ECF in 2014. So we don't totally know what to expect from the Habs either. Furthermore, Montreal finished the season just 1 point ahead of the Rangers and kind of got screwed by the playoff system. Their reward for winning their division is a much harder first round. When you break down the stats, these two teams are very close and even by the numbers.

Conclusion: Hank v Price will probably win this series. The Habs will need Price to shutdown the Rangers speed and high scoring abilities. The Rangers will need Hank to make up the difference for their weaker defense. One of these two men will do a little more than the other and that will be the difference. I also think Game 1 matters more in this series for the Rangers. With the Rangers horrible home record and fantastic road record, they will want to send a message and set the tone with a quick game 1 road win. A loss in game 1 could seal their fate to a short series.

Final note, the Rangers are under a lot of pressure playing in New York, but the Habs are under even more pressure playing in Montreal. Winning their division will raise expectations on them. So I do feel like the Rangers will have less weight on their backs.

aeroshady 04-12-2017 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16765336)
I picked early exits for both Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Both opening series should be great. I don't see Nashville rolling over at all and hope Columbus can wear down the penguins.

I follow the Preds somewhat closely and unfortunately, they took a step back this season. I truly believe the Webber/Suban trade will work out better for them in the long run, but in the short run, they are a worse team from last year. They lost a lot of games that they would have won last year. Add in the next level play we have seen from the Hawks at the end of the year and I feel like it is just too much for Nashville.

I think this could have been a 7 game series a year ago. This year it is looking more like 5 maybe 6 at best.

Climb2safety 04-12-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16765358)
I follow the Preds somewhat closely and unfortunately, they took a step back this season. I truly believe the Webber/Suban trade will work out better for them in the long run, but in the short run, they are a worse team from last year. They lost a lot of games that they would have won last year. Add in the next level play we have seen from the Hawks at the end of the year and I feel like it is just too much for Nashville.

I think this could have been a 7 game series a year ago. This year it is looking more like 5 maybe 6 at best.

I just saw their defensive rankings and looked a little at the head to head matchups and really just took a chance.

lockman21 04-12-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Seriously?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16765272)

:lol

But I mean, seriously, the two of them are.

And on that note - if Duncan Keith were out (which is the closest comparison to Letang being out), there's no way in hell I would pick the Hawks to go far. Losing a top-tier defenseman in the playoffs is really hard to overcome. Regardless of if the team is "playoff tested" or not.

Dramageek 04-12-2017 07:43 AM

It's a great day for hockey!

My completely unscientific and probably totally wrong first round predictions!

East:
Caps v. Leafs (Caps in 7 because they always make it interesting.)
Pens v. Jackets (Pens in 5)
Habs v. Rags (Rags in 6)
Sens v. Bruins (Sens in 7)

West:
Hawks v. Preds (Hawks in 5)
Wild v. Blues (Blues in 7)
Ducks v. Flames (Ducks in 7)
Oilers v. Sharks (Oilers in 6. I'm on the McDavid bandwagon. I think he'll get them through one series. I'm hardly discounting the Sharks though.)

lockman21 04-12-2017 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16763965)
I know Tim is super busy right now, so I went ahead and created this year's bracket challenge. NHL's website is hot garbage right now, so maybe wait until tonight to fill it out.

https://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/lea...bannertown-usa

password: banners

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16764921)
FYI - if you click "My Bracket", you can edit your team name. Would be helpful if everyone had the same bracket name as their username on here.

Get your stuff in people! Playoffs start today!

fonzz41 04-12-2017 08:28 AM

Hitchcock returning to Dallas?

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/04/12/...y-as-tomorrow/

Getting my non-playoff-team news in before the games start tonight.

#mostwonderfultimeoftheyear

TheLastPig 04-12-2017 08:29 AM

Melrose picked the Caps to make a run to the Cup.

Sorry barbs, it was a good season.

Dramageek 04-12-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16765406)
:lol

But I mean, seriously, the two of them are.

And on that note - if Duncan Keith were out (which is the closest comparison to Letang being out), there's no way in hell I would pick the Hawks to go far. Losing a top-tier defenseman in the playoffs is really hard to overcome. Regardless of if the team is "playoff tested" or not.

Losing Letang sucks a big one, no doubt. It will likely cost the Pens a chance to repeat. But I'm not totally discounting the rest of the blue line, especially as Cole and Schultz are having career years. And with Crosby playing some of the best hockey of his career, and a healthy, hungry Malkin in full beast mode, I think they get past Columbus and have a shot against the Caps. They likely will run out of steam and feel the full effect of Letang's loss, but they'll make some noise before that.

aeroshady 04-12-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16765472)
Losing Letang sucks a big one, no doubt. It will likely cost the Pens a chance to repeat. But I'm not totally discounting the rest of the blue line, especially as Cole and Schultz are having career years. And with Crosby playing some of the best hockey of his career, and a healthy, hungry Malkin in full beast mode, I think they get past Columbus and have a shot against the Caps. They likely will run out of steam and feel the full effect of Letang's loss, but they'll make some noise before that.

That just it though, if they gain some steam, I think they are a favorite again. It is hard to go back-to-back, but I just have a feeling the Pens could do it this year.

unccrombie 04-12-2017 08:58 AM

I think we can all agree that if someone from the East wins it this year they will be from the Metro

aeroshady 04-12-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16765497)
I think we can all agree that if someone from the East wins it this year they will be from the Metro

Totally agreed on that. Depending on what Rangers team shows up tonight, the Atlantic division teams may not even be the favorite to win their own divisional playoffs.

Although now that I think about it, part of me totally wants the ECF to be Toronto v. New York just to create chaos.

hailtopitt 04-12-2017 09:08 AM

no Letang=no repeat