Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

~Crashintome89~ 04-14-2016 07:48 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

I love Wayne Simmonds, but that was the dumbest thing he could have done there. Tom Wilson is nothing but a dumpster fire and should be ignored.

Climb2safety 04-14-2016 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16373938)
I love Wayne Simmonds, but that was the dumbest thing he could have done there. Tom Wilson is nothing but a dumpster fire and should be ignored.

Exactly what he wants you to think but yeah, stupid for Simmonds to offer himself up like that.

I think Wilson is a great skater, great hands, and a total hustle guy. And yeah, loves to hit and fight.

lockman21 04-14-2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16373938)

Not only that, but he literally took himself out of the game. AND the Flyers were going to go on the PP. It's a 1 goal playoff game with 6 minutes left. You CAN'T be doing that. I'm blown away by how dumb that was.

salrx95 04-14-2016 08:01 PM

Arrived a short time ago at the hotel in Ohio. Listened to the game the whole way through Pennsylvania (how annoyingly long is that state). Sounds like we need to play better defense and that Luongo must have been the weak. Had to listen to the Panthers feed, which blew but was happy just to be able to listen to the game.

Really excited to have maybe stolen game 1. Need to see highlights and read up on the game as I couldn't get a feel between bad announcers, loud trucks and bickering kids.

~Crashintome89~ 04-14-2016 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16373946)
Not only that, but he literally took himself out of the game. AND the Flyers were going to go on the PP. It's a 1 goal playoff game with 6 minutes left. You CAN'T be doing that. I'm blown away by how dumb that was.

It was a worse mistake than the deliberate icing he took a few weeks ago against Columbus that nearly cost the Flyers a playoff spot.

lockman21 04-14-2016 08:15 PM

Not familiar with that one, but it sounds dumb too.

~Crashintome89~ 04-14-2016 08:18 PM

Flyers were up 2-0 with just under two minutes. Columbus pulled their goalie. Simmonds won a puck battle in Flyers zone and aimed for the empty cage. He missed. It became icing. Columbus won the ensuing faceoff and scored from the point.

Fast forward another thirty seconds and they tied the game. We lost one point and a regulation win because of that dumb play.

Roose13 04-14-2016 08:25 PM

Well I didn't miss much.

lockman21 04-14-2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16373967)
Flyers were up 2-0 with just under two minutes. Columbus pulled their goalie. Simmonds won a puck battle in Flyers zone and aimed for the empty cage. He missed. It became icing. Columbus won the ensuing faceoff and scored from the point.

Fast forward another thirty seconds and they tied the game. We lost one point and a regulation win because of that dumb play.

Yeah this was worse, but that's still really fucking stupid too.

I do like Simmonds, though. Dude just needs better situational awareness.

lockman21 04-14-2016 09:02 PM

So this Stars/Wild series is going to be done really quick, eh?

lockman21 04-14-2016 09:10 PM

Guys that start the playoffs with beards are fucking lame. Shave that shit and earn it the next couple months like a man.

Brohan_Santana 04-14-2016 09:16 PM

https://twitter.com/washcaps/status/720811485241352192

Claude Giroux doing his best pre-Trotz Ovechkin impression there....also why did Ghost go for a change?

UCFish 04-14-2016 09:23 PM

LA and SJ trading goals late in the second....entertaining

~Crashintome89~ 04-14-2016 09:33 PM

Shut up, Brohan.

UCFish 04-14-2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16374073)
Shut up, Brohan.

:thumbsup

always and forever

dmbetc 04-14-2016 09:40 PM

Jesus Christ this game.

UCFish 04-14-2016 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16374082)
Jesus Christ this game.

Insane last few minutes

bartender_man 04-15-2016 04:44 AM

Stunned and stoked the Sharks won but we'll still lose the series.

Roose13 04-15-2016 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16373974)
Well I didn't miss much.

And the local didn't even get drafted to the WNBA! She was overlooked big time. They had her as the top available prospect for the second half of the draft and teams kept passing her up.

hailtopitt 04-15-2016 06:26 AM

not taking anything away from the Caps, they earned the win. but man, the Flyers really did everything they could to lose that game

barbogast 04-15-2016 06:35 AM

There were definitely moments where the Flyers got in their own way, the Simmonds incident being the most obvious one. Really stupid move by him there. I'm not defending Tom Wilson's hit as I think it was dangerous and unnecessary, but Simmonds has to know he can't retaliate like that. I do think Wilson is turning a world class pest. He's too reckless sometimes but he really gets under opponent's skin and causes them to make mistakes. The guy has a little bit of a scoring touch too on occasion.

I do think overall the Caps earned the win and their good play is more the cause of the outcome than the Flyers' bad play. The defense looked really good. Holtby looked sharp but didn't have to work all that hard.

TMoore4075 04-15-2016 06:39 AM

Watched the highlights of the SJ/LA game this morning. Wow that was crazy. The Isles/Cats was crazy too. Lou gonna Lou again? I mean, it is the playoffs.

fonzz41 04-15-2016 06:48 AM

I get what Simmonds was trying to do and appreciate it to a degree. Wilson's hit was reckless, and Simmonds was right to be upset about it. I know I would be. And Simmonds' response wasn't just about that hit in that instance, it was about future hits like that down the road. He was sending a message. I love seeing teammates stand up for each other like that.

Where he went wrong - and many of you have already articulated this - is in the timing. When you're a critical part of your team's offense and PP, you've got to put yourself in a position to help the team at the end of the game. Tangle up with Wilson, say a few words, and then save it for later. And guys, Wilson's a sly guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he was like, "wait, SIMMONDS is coming after me?? If I can get him to go with me right now, he'll be gone the rest of the game..." He knows Simmonds means a helluva lot more to his team in the final minutes of a game than he (Wilson) does to his own team in the same situation.

On a related note, I like Wilson's tenacity, heart, and relative skill level for a guy his size, but dude needs to learn some control when he hits. It's cool to hit hard, but learn to keep the elbows down, feet on the ice, etc. Watch some Matt Martin video or something. It just seems like we're talking about questionable hits by him way more than we should have to.

Lcsulla 04-15-2016 07:29 AM

Wow, some great games last night - always fun to watch when you have no real vested interest!

Caps played great. Killing 3 penalties in the first period gave them a ton of momentum. Holtby is great to watch (Mason played great as well) that was a good game up until the end when about 17 penalties were handed out. I think this will be a short series without Couturier though.

Figured Dallas would come out of the gate playing solid and they did just that, Wild looked pathetic.

Islanders sure eked that one out, that is going to be a long series.

What on earth happened to LA, I saw them trade a goals in the first but then I feel asleep. Still think LA wins this series but it is going to be longer than I expected.

Odd comment by the Blues coach yesterday saying he wants his team to get at least 70 hits tonight, 70 hits - that is just unrealistic and it means Chicago has the puck WAY too often.

Climb2safety 04-15-2016 07:33 AM

From an article before last nights game-

Then there’s Simmonds, who trains with Capitals forwards Tom Wilson and Michael Latta during the offseason. Of Wilson, an effective agitator who told reporters earlier this week he hopes Flyers fans “hate our guts,” Simmonds laughed Thursday and replied, “I actually know [Wilson], and I’m pretty sure Flyers will hate him, if they already don’t.”

Amazing hiw these guys are friends until the puck drops then can attack and fight each other during a playoff game.

TMoore4075 04-15-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16374514)
From an article before last nights game-

Then there’s Simmonds, who trains with Capitals forwards Tom Wilson and Michael Latta during the offseason. Of Wilson, an effective agitator who told reporters earlier this week he hopes Flyers fans “hate our guts,” Simmonds laughed Thursday and replied, “I actually know [Wilson], and I’m pretty sure Flyers will hate him, if they already don’t.”

Amazing hiw these guys are friends until the puck drops then can attack and fight each other during a playoff game.

Zetterberg said something about that the other night after him and Filppula got into it on the ice. They played together for years and won a cup together but were up in each other's face last night.

~Crashintome89~ 04-15-2016 07:57 AM

Barbs, can you please explain what is happening here:

https://media.giphy.com/media/m1sl2nGMxHc4w/200w.gif

unccrombie 04-15-2016 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16374583)

curling practice

hailtopitt 04-15-2016 08:00 AM

Quote:

they play on ice dude

he's clearly shivering and cold

barbogast 04-15-2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Kuzy going hard in the paint. Dude REALLY wanted to win that draw :lol