Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 03-01-2016 04:18 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-10...-this-1.446075

I really, really don't know Benning keeps his job. I really don't. He's made so many questionable moves in a very short time.

SirBobalew 03-01-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16320769)
Wait...you love Dallas's odds to get by some combination of St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville and Colorado?

I'm not saying I'm betting against Dallas, but I'm certainly not "loving" anyone's odds to get past Chicago.

Eh, maybe I should have said "like," but yeah, I like 'em.

barbogast 03-01-2016 04:54 PM

Braden Holtby just hasn't looked elite the last few games. Lots of pucks going through him.

Dramageek 03-01-2016 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16320812)
Braden Holtby just hasn't looked elite the last few games. Lots of pucks going through him.

Holtby probably should have made that save, even if it was Malkin.

And if the Caps could keep looking flat tonight, that'd be great. ;)

AJF_41 03-01-2016 05:05 PM

Big wild avs game coming up. #PlayoffImplications

barbogast 03-01-2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16320818)
Holtby probably should have made that save, even if it was Malkin.

And if the Caps could keep looking flat tonight, that'd be great. ;)

Yeah I don't know what it is about period one lately. The difference between the first 20 and the back 40 has been alarming.

BeyondKnight 03-01-2016 05:30 PM

They are giving the Pens all kind of space to move on the ice. Not complaining at all, but I thought this would be more of a physical battle for every inch of ice.

Climb2safety 03-01-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16320836)
Yeah I don't know what it is about period one lately. The difference between the first 20 and the back 40 has been alarming.

They've always started sooo slow and give up the first goal way to often. Scares me if this keeps up in the playoffs.

lockman21 03-01-2016 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16320812)

lol it was a 3-on-1 with both Malkin and Kessell. Can't fault him for that.

Climb2safety 03-01-2016 05:48 PM

I don't see the last two embellishment calls.

It's either a hold or dive, either a hook or dive. Calling both seems contradictory.

barbogast 03-01-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16320879)
They are giving the Pens all kind of space to move on the ice. Not complaining at all, but I thought this would be more of a physical battle for every inch of ice.

That second goal against seemed to wake them up. Totally different game after that point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16320892)
lol it was a 3-on-1 with both Malkin and Kessell. Can't fault him for that.

Meh, it 7 holed him. Gotta seal that up. I wasn't saying it a bad goal against or anything, but it's a makeable save.

Dramageek 03-01-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16320905)
I don't see the last two embellishment calls.

It's either a hold or dive, either a hook or dive. Calling both seems contradictory.

For whatever reason (I'm not sure of the exact rule on this) embellishment never gets called on its own. It's always called with a matching penalty.

unccrombie 03-01-2016 06:34 PM

trying to sell a call can happen regardless of penalty.
pretty easy to understand...

lockman21 03-01-2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16320942)
Meh, it 7 holed him. Gotta seal that up. I wasn't saying it a bad goal against or anything, but it's a makeable save.

Easy to say from the couch, not so easy when you have Phil Kessell standing in the crease 1 foot away from you and a defenseman streaking down the slot unguarded. That's not one that's on Holtby, AT ALL.

Lcsulla 03-01-2016 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16320980)
trying to sell a call can happen regardless of penalty.
pretty easy to understand...

Yeah, sometimes guys just go down with extremely minimal contact and act like they got mugged. I like those calls because it discourages guys from taking dives like the south American soccer teams so often so, hence why they get so many yellow cards for the dramatic BS.

Climb2safety 03-01-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16321026)
Yeah, sometimes guys just go down with extremely minimal contact and act like they got mugged. I like those calls because it discourages guys from taking dives like the south American soccer teams so often so, hence why they get so many yellow cards for the dramatic BS.

I agree and I'm not advocating for taking dives. I just think if it's called a penalty why make a total judgement call that the other guy faked it when you alread agree he was fouled?

Lcsulla 03-01-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16321028)
I agree and I'm not advocating for taking dives. I just think if it's called a penalty why make a total judgement call that the other guy faked it when you alread agree he was fouled?

Agreed completely but in some cases the dive is so pathetically obvious that it needs to be called to offset the initial penalty. Just because my stick hits the front of someones skate when I am chasing them down doesn't mean they have to tumble over like I swung my stick at them, yeah you could call me for a hook but a hook or a hold doesn't always take someone off their feet, it normally just slows them up.

Equally sometimes a hook or a hold is a good penalty to take for you team. Say Kane or one of the better scorers is on a breakaway in a tight game you HAVE to do anything you can (not advocating an attempt to hurt the player) to stop them from a 1 on 1 with a goalie. Basically it comes down to the simple fact that sometimes you have to take one for the team!

mr.MikeD 03-01-2016 07:50 PM

Connor hockeys good

fonzz41 03-01-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16320952)
For whatever reason (I'm not sure of the exact rule on this) embellishment never gets called on its own. It's always called with a matching penalty.

I've seen a couple instances where embellishment is called without another penalty, but yeah, many times it happens in conjunction with a legit call.

I think many times the lesson is a little more poignant to the diver when it's known that his team could have had a PP, but it was negated by his pussyness, y'know? Also, the ref usually has a little better visual, having just called the infraction.

And Whenever I dish out an embellishment call, it's generally not in a vacuum, to be honest. It's because the guy's been a dick all night and I've already warned him once that if he dives again he's getting the call.

~Crashintome89~ 03-02-2016 06:35 AM

Flyers still have a chance with three games against the Pens coming up.

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 07:00 AM

Caps fans in the building last night were unbelievably dumb

it's time for diving/embellishment to be called on it's own, because it happened at least once last night

Pens played well considering it was the 2nd of a back-to-back with a rookie goalie making his 5th start. in fact, i'd say the Pens outplayed the Caps overall last night

TMoore4075 03-02-2016 07:24 AM

Team Russia and Team Finland announcements:

http://www.tsn.ca/russia-finland-nam...oster-1.446569

unccrombie 03-02-2016 07:35 AM

big back-to-back for the rangers @ the penguins and then @ the caps on Friday.
really don't want to drop both.

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 07:35 AM

the Rangers don't lose to the Penguins dude

unccrombie 03-02-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16321464)
the Rangers don't lose to the Penguins dude

if this were the playoffs, I'd agree.
you guys looked good yesterday, even with your backup.

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16321500)
if this were the playoffs, I'd agree.
you guys looked good yesterday, even with your backup.

yea the Pens are playing better for sure but seems too little too late for us this year

i have a feeling that next year, after some time under Sullivan, the Pens are going to be a huge threat

this year, not so much

Lcsulla 03-02-2016 08:18 AM

Anyone else see a bit of irony in the rivalry between McDavid and Jack Eichel? Yeah, Toews and Kane played on the same team but there had to be a friendly rivalry of some sorts. They made their NHL debuts one game apart Kane debuting first. They finished first and second for the Calder with Kane winning the trophy. Toews had 3 more goals than Kane but Kane had 21 more points that probably sealed the trophy. Guessing it would have been a much tighter call if Toews didn't miss 20 games due to injury. That said it still amazes me that Chicago was able to get two players of that caliber to debut 1 game apart.

Edited for clarity, my math sometimes sucks! :lol

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 08:21 AM

we get it, the Blackhawks are a great organization

stop rubbing it in :lol

SirBobalew 03-02-2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16321345)
Caps fans in the building last night were unbelievably dumb

it's time for diving/embellishment to be called on it's own, because it happened at least once last night

Pens played well considering it was the 2nd of a back-to-back with a rookie goalie making his 5th start. in fact, i'd say the Pens outplayed the Caps overall last night

Yeah, Chimera went down like a wet rag, but the diving call on Orlov was ridiculous.

Pens outplayed the Caps for the first 40 minutes, no doubt. Holtby looked like his old self for part of the second and most of the third, and the Caps played much better. I still don't like how they've been drifting through first periods lately. That will not work come playoff time.

~Crashintome89~ 03-02-2016 08:27 AM

hey guys, crazy stat: Toews and Kane finished 1 and 2 in the Calder race, but debuted 1 game in between one another or something. LOL WHO CARES. hawks gonna win another cup.

/blackhawksfans