Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

unccrombie 01-11-2016 06:50 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16243548)
Didn't get to watch the game today but it sounds like it was a good one. Not thrilled to see the Caps blew a 2-0 lead going into the 3rd but it's pretty impressive how resilient they've been this season. Ovie up to 499 now. Hopefully tomorrow he'll get the big one at home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 16244092)
Caps look pretty damn legit this year. That nyr - wsh game was pretty wild.

definitely a wild 3rd. resiliency on the caps side, nice to see the rangers wake up after a unenthusiastic 1st and 2nd.

rangers definitely should have walked out winners, but that Backstrom goal was a heartbreaker. stupid caps announcers had literally just mentioned his goal with 1 second left a while back.

OV's OT winner was niiiiiice. poor effort to check him from nash and hung the D man out to dry. you could see the goal coming the minute he got to the boards.

aeroshady 01-11-2016 07:13 AM

Things have been do bad for the Rangers recently that I am actually pretty happy with the past weeks results. I wonder if this team will find a way to string more that one win in a row anytime soon. Hopefully they can do so against Boston. The recent trend would suggest a Rangers loss though.

Congrats to Ovie! 500 is an awesome club to be in.

Bron Yr Aur 01-11-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16244792)
First, congrats to Ovie on 500. We give him and the Caps shit, but that's still impressive. The only guys faster to 500 was Gretzky (in 575 games lol lol lol) Mario, Bossy and Brett Hull. Not bad company.

And now (for a dig at the Caps) a team who has won a Cup, the Wings are 4-0 (all by 1 goal, also have 17 1 goal wins this season) on the 6 game road trip so far. I said the other day 4-1-1 would be great so they are pretty much there. But thanks to the Caps for beating the Sens. Keeps them behind my Wings.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

This is honestly amazing. I did not realize that AO stacks up so well with Hull and Gretzky and Lemieux when adjusting for era. I mean he even beats Gretzky in era-adjusted goals over their 3-year peaks. That's incredible.

Remember when some Caps fans wanted to trade Ovie?? :lol :ugh

JRS1386 01-11-2016 11:10 AM

Era adjusted goals sounds like the worst stat ever

dmbetc 01-11-2016 11:25 AM

Kings Caps is going to be a fun Final. Game 7 winning goal will go to Williams and LA hearts will be broken forever.

barbogast 01-11-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 16245160)
Remember when some Caps fans wanted to trade Ovie?? :lol :ugh

I don't think any of us really wanted Ovechkin traded neccesarily, but there was absolutely real reasons to be very alarmed and concerned by his play for a couple seasons there. That's changed. It can all be pin pointed back to one occurrence.

Hint: it's when Barry Trotz was hired

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16245210)
Era adjusted goals sounds like the worst stat ever

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16245226)
Kings Caps is going to be a fun Final. Game 7 winning goal will go to Williams and LA hearts will be broken forever.

Sounds great. Let's make it happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16244814)
Caps are nothing until they prove themselves in the playoffs. They shouldn't worry anyone until they can prove it in the spring

Unfortunately, there's still this. While this is clearly the best Caps team in the Ovie era, probably even ever, the possibility of choking is still a huge cloud over this group. I'd like to think they're too good for that this year, but I just don't know. As much as I want to be optimistic, I still don't really expect them to win a Cup. Getting out of round 2 still gives me hesitation.

barbogast 01-11-2016 12:11 PM

Also, well done to Ovie for getting to 500. Very fun moment to see him get it at home. There's a lot to be debated about his career so far, but he is inarguably one of the greatest goal scorers to ever play this game. I feel fortunate in that regard that I get to watch him so often.

~Crashintome89~ 01-12-2016 08:26 AM

I just can't believe Ovi has 500 goals already. That blows my mind.

Roose13 01-12-2016 08:32 AM

I hope the Kings don't win the Cup just for the sake I don't feel like hearing idiot Flyers fans saying they shouldn't have traded a young star like Luke Schenn :lol

lockman21 01-12-2016 08:36 AM

I can't wait for the Hawks to get Drouin and have Teravainen, Kane, Drouin and Panarin.

~Crashintome89~ 01-12-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16246259)
I hope the Kings don't win the Cup just for the sake I don't feel like hearing idiot Flyers fans saying they shouldn't have traded a young star like Luke Schenn :lol

It would be nice for Luke Schenn, but in no way do I want Vinny Lecavalier anywhere near the Stanley Cup this year.

~Crashintome89~ 01-12-2016 09:20 AM

Q also gets extended for another three years. Should be like 12, IMO.

TMoore4075 01-12-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16246355)
Q also gets extended for another three years. Should be like 12, IMO.

There will be Hawks fans who bitch though. Just like the Wings fans who bitch about Ken Holland getting an extension.

lockman21 01-12-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16246371)
There will be Hawks fans who bitch though. Just like the Wings fans who bitch about Ken Holland getting an extension.

(Dumb) Hawks fans still bitch about how Q and Bowman use young talent. Fans still think they know better than Q with how he handles prospects. "OMG I wish Q would have given him a chance..." Hear that bullshit regularly.

Dude could win 8 Stanley Cups and people would still complain about his "line blender" and how he handles prospects. Hell, Ditka won ONE god damn Super Bowl, with a football team that could have won the SB with my idiot ex-girlfriend as the head coach, and he's still held in higher regard than Q.

Dumb.

Bron Yr Aur 01-12-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16246398)
(Dumb) Hawks fans still bitch about how Q and Bowman use young talent. Fans still think they know better than Q with how he handles prospects. "OMG I wish Q would have given him a chance..." Hear that bullshit regularly.

Dude could win 8 Stanley Cups and people would still complain about his "line blender" and how he handles prospects. Hell, Ditka won ONE god damn Super Bowl, with a football team that could have won the SB with my idiot ex-girlfriend as the head coach, and he's still held in higher regard than Q.

Dumb.

I have complained about plenty of times Q but surely I have almost always been wrong. Every coach, player, GM, etc has their faults....fortunately Q's positives far outweigh his negatives. The results speak for themselves.

TMoore4075 01-12-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16246398)

Dumb.

Yeah I don't get it. Everyone is gonna make mistakes are things that make us question but not sure why people focus on those when someone has a lot more positives than negatives.

dmbetc 01-12-2016 10:26 AM

This is a fun stat: https://twitter.com/dmb_etc/status/686791997345013760

barbogast 01-12-2016 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:haha :hump

Lcsulla 01-12-2016 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16246371)

3 cups in 6 years and people still bitch. Amazing. They should just hand him a contract with the money figures filled in and allow Q to fill in how many years he wants to stay.

Lcsulla 01-12-2016 03:33 PM

I hope CSN Chicago does not delay the Hawks game coverage to hear that idiot in the oval office whine and moan about the US.

salrx95 01-13-2016 04:11 AM

I remember when Q was available and the Isles had a coaching vacancy about 10-13 years ago maybe, not sure and wished the Isles interviewed him or Hitchcock or even Hartley because I wanted an experienced, good coach. Of course, I knew the cheapskate Isles would hire a coach with no prior NHL experience so he could be one of, if not the lowest paid coach and that is just what they did.

On a brighter note, congrats on Brock for the hattie last night. If your team is ailing and we now have no Hamonic to go along with no Boychuk along with JT "struggling", it always nice to welcome the CBJ to town. It cures a lot of what ails.

TMoore4075 01-13-2016 09:56 AM

Kopitar close to 8 year $80mil deal. Similar to what Stamkos gets?

lockman21 01-13-2016 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16247712)
Kopitar close to 8 year $80mil deal. Similar to what Stamkos gets?

If Kopitar is getting $10m AAV, Stamkos is going to get $12-13.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kopitar, but Stamkos has four 40+ goal seasons, one of those being 51 goals and another 60. Anze's career high is 34. Stamkos also has three 90+ point seasons, two Richard trophies, and is three years younger than Kopitar.

Obviously there's more that goes into it, but guys like Stamkos just get more from contracts. Just like sacks in the NFL gets you paid, goals in the NHL gets you paid.

Stamkos's contract is going to cripple the cap of whatever team he signs with.

TMoore4075 01-13-2016 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16247925)
If Kopitar is getting $10m AAV, Stamkos is going to get $12-13.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kopitar, but Stamkos has four 40+ goal seasons, one of those being 51 goals and another 60. Anze's career high is 34. Stamkos also has three 90+ point seasons, two Richard trophies, and is three years younger than Kopitar.

Obviously there's more that goes into it, but guys like Stamkos just get more from contracts. Just like sacks in the NFL gets you paid, goals in the NHL gets you paid.

Stamkos's contract is going to cripple the cap of whatever team he signs with.

So the Leafs? lol

I just don't see how Tampa can do more than 9mil and keep a team together. MAYBE they can get it to $10mil but would he pass up on $12mil from a team? I mean over 7 years that's $14mil, or $21mil compared to a $9mil salary.

fonzz41 01-13-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16247985)
So the Leafs? lol

I just don't see how Tampa can do more than 9mil and keep a team together. MAYBE they can get it to $10mil but would he pass up on $12mil from a team? I mean over 7 years that's $14mil, or $21mil compared to a $9mil salary.

Yeah, with Kopitar's deal serving as the benchmark, I find it hard to believe that Stamkos will stay in Tampa. They've got so many young guys who are fairly cheap right now but will get paid later, and there needs to be money left for them. I definitely don't see Yzerman shelling out $10-12 mil per year for him.

lockman21 01-13-2016 02:52 PM

Maybe they move Jason Garrison? Idk if that'd be enough.

Roose13 01-13-2016 02:57 PM

Lol John Scott send down to the AHL

salrx95 01-14-2016 04:51 AM

If Kopitar is getting 10, so much for JT getting less than 10. I figured he would take a little less than market when he resigns but the market is going up.

Also wanted to share Grabovski and Kulemin you tube video on how they are adjusting to Brookyln. Good stuff. I think even if you didn't grow up in the 5 boroughs, you can appreciate funny hockey guys. If not, there is always the hideous fish sticks jersey cameo.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/k...ipsters-video/

salrx95 01-14-2016 05:07 AM

Double post time in honor of Isles- Rag$ day. My buddy, who works for the NY Daily News made this post. I told him #5 was weak but he said the video needed to be on you tube. How many games would Nystrom get these days for the head butt in #2 and is there any doubt that Gillies was one, if not the toughest power forwards ever. Is there any wonder why Bossy/Trottier had all that room to work their magic with Gillies riding shotgun. He destroyed many back in the day.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...icle-1.2496368

lockman21 01-14-2016 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16248763)
If Kopitar is getting 10, so much for JT getting less than 10. I figured he would take a little less than market when he resigns but the market is going up.

That's what everyone hopes, but it's so rare. There's so much pressure from the union to take market value.