Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

unccrombie 08-27-2014 04:58 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15566242)
Reports saying the NHL wants to expand to FOUR NEW CITIES in 2017.

That's way too fucking many cities. Way. Too. Many.

would really love for seattle to get a team since I'm moving out there next Fall :lol

TMoore4075 08-27-2014 05:18 AM

Quote:

I just don't see 4 happening. 34 doesn't divide evenly and you end up with the same issue you have now. 32 is the magic number I think...and hope. The Northwest needs one and maybe Quebec. Let's not get greedy here.

Roose13 08-27-2014 05:26 AM

Think it's possible the NHL adds two and moves two? Yotes and maybe someone like the Panthers?

TMoore4075 08-27-2014 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15566283)
Think it's possible the NHL adds two and moves two? Yotes and maybe someone like the Panthers?

That's palatable. Seattle, Quebec, Kansas City and.....? I mean I'll put it this way. The NFL has 32 teams. People think the NHL should have more than them when the NFL is much more financially viable across the country?

unccrombie 08-27-2014 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15566283)

i don't see why FLA needs 2 teams.

TMoore4075 08-27-2014 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15566300)
i don't see why FLA needs 2 teams.

Neither does SoCal (no offense to the Ducks) but there they are. I know both teams there have been successful, much more than so than the two teams in FLA but still, not really needed. But Disney wanted in back in the 90's and the NHL would have been stupid to say no.

So booked my second Red Wings game for the season. March 4th against the Rangers with my brother in-law. My wife's brother so not my sister's douchie husband thankfully. He's never been to a Wings game and wanted someone big and the defensing Eastern Conference Champion and Original 6 is pretty big. So I've seen the Leafs twice, Habs twice, Bruins once and now I'll see the Rags. Just missing the Hawks to complete the O6.

barbogast 08-27-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15566296)
That's palatable. Seattle, Quebec, Kansas City and.....? I mean I'll put it this way. The NFL has 32 teams. People think the NHL should have more than them when the NFL is much more financially viable across the country?

Sounds like that 4th city might be Las Vegas...

http://www.thescore.com/news/563625

But I agree with you. The NHL having more teams than the NFL makes zero sense

TMoore4075 08-27-2014 06:51 AM

The NHL hasn't worked in Phoenix but...Vegas? Great idea.

barbogast 08-27-2014 07:00 AM

:lol talk about a sweet cross-desert rivalry

hailtopitt 08-27-2014 07:01 AM

there's pretty much an infinite amount of other things to do in vegas besides see a hockey game

terrible idea

TMoore4075 08-27-2014 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15566378)
there's pretty much an infinite amount of other things to do in vegas besides see a hockey game

terrible idea

Agree completely.

edit: I want to add to this. This isn't the NFL where there is just one game a week. This is multiple games a week for an 82 game schedule. Just won't work, I'm sure of it.

unccrombie 08-27-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15566378)

terrible idea

agreed as well.

hailtopitt 08-27-2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15566380)
Agree completely.

edit: I want to add to this. This isn't the NFL where there is just one game a week. This is multiple games a week for an 82 game schedule. Just won't work, I'm sure of it.

yea exactly...and on top of that, hockey is such an anti-vegas type of sport, very blue collar

i could see an NBA team catching on because the NBA is a circus just like vegas, but that's even a stretch

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15566404)
agreed as well.

:thumbsup

unccrombie 08-27-2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15566326)
Neither does SoCal (no offense to the Ducks) but there they are. I know both teams there have been successful, much more than so than the two teams in FLA but still, not really needed. But Disney wanted in back in the 90's and the NHL would have been stupid to say no.

To be fair, the market revenues are drastically different. Disney or Not.

aeroshady 08-27-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15566326)

So booked my second Red Wings game for the season. March 4th against the Rangers with my brother in-law. My wife's brother so not my sister's douchie husband thankfully. He's never been to a Wings game and wanted someone big and the defensing Eastern Conference Champion and Original 6 is pretty big. So I've seen the Leafs twice, Habs twice, Bruins once and now I'll see the Rags. Just missing the Hawks to complete the O6.

Have fun and thanks for the compliments to the Rangers!

Anyway, I have taken the summer to get over it. I am now mostly positive about the experience of last year's run. What an awesome ride! Love my Rangers and love the sport! Can't wait for hockey to be back on. #anyonebutLA

fonzz41 08-27-2014 11:02 AM

I'm still of the opinion that the NHL needs to lose a couple teams, not add more.

I'd love to see a team in Seattle, but if it happens take one from a current struggling market.

dmbetc 08-27-2014 11:04 AM

Vegas makes no sense.

hailtopitt 08-27-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15566806)
I'm still of the opinion that the NHL needs to lose a couple teams, not add more.

I'd love to see a team in Seattle, but if it happens take one from a current struggling market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15566813)
Vegas makes no sense.

i love the offseason when we all agree with each other

fonzz41 08-27-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15566817)

i love the offseason when we all agree with each other

Cue Bron.

;)

fonzz41 08-27-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Well hey, with four new teams and the subsequent dilution of talent that would result, even I might be able to find myself onto an NHL roster!

lockman21 08-27-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15566843)
Well hey, with four new teams and the subsequent dilution of talent that would result, even I might be able to find myself onto an NHL roster!

:lol That was my thought. Why stop at 34? Let's just go all out and give every state 1 team. 50 teams, 25 per conference. 32 team playoffs.

Let's make this thing year round. Really drive up that revenue.

TMoore4075 08-27-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15566843)

I think 32 in inevitable. I'm not sure I buy the 34 thing. We'll see though... My 32 would be move FLA to Quebec City, move the Yotes to Kansas City cause I still don't see them staying there past the 5 years they promised, and then expand to Seattle and....shit I can't come up with another city, Portland then?

hailtopitt 08-27-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15566933)
I think 32 in inevitable. I'm not sure I buy the 34 thing. We'll see though... My 32 would be move FLA to Quebec City, move the Yotes to Kansas City cause I still don't see them staying there past the 5 years they promised, and then expand to Seattle and....shit I can't come up with another city, Portland then?

2nd team in toronto?

lockman21 08-27-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15566933)

They're talking about a 2nd Toronto team.

hailtopitt 08-27-2014 12:31 PM

there an echo in here?

TMoore4075 08-27-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15566953)
They're talking about a 2nd Toronto team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15566937)
2nd team in toronto?

The Markham arena deal was shot down earlier this year so unless there is another suburb looking to house one, that's why I didn't include them.

edit: plus my scenario doesn't involved any rearranging of the conferences.

aclark0622 08-27-2014 07:27 PM

NHL needs less teams, not more. Would never happen, but still.

TMoore4075 08-28-2014 05:24 AM

I started to think last night, maybe it's the NHL trying to drive up the interest and then in a way drive up the expansion price. I just don't see 4 happening. It doesn't make sense on a # of levels. Obviously the talent to go around is one. Another is you've got 2 franchises that are very big question marks in FLA and AZ. Then of course there's the whole unbalanced conferences and divisions. 32 gets you to 16/16 and 4 of 8. Seattle and Quebec are gonna happen in some form or another, I'm confident of that. So lets say those are your two expansion teams but that still leaves FLA and AZ. Where do they go if needed?

jrkarger 08-28-2014 06:21 AM

A second team in Toronto would be even more of a red headed step child than the Mets and Jets combined. Bad idea, IMO. I don't like the Vegas idea either because of the gambling. It just feels uncomfortable.

TMoore4075 08-28-2014 07:24 AM

There is that problem that would fans take to a second team in TO? Clearly the interest is there, but is there enough fans who would jump ship? LeBrun did say on TSN, he thinks Toronto is a very long shot in this whole thing. When he drop them off the list, the league won't be expanding by only 3 teams, which means most likely, it'll be 2 teams. They promised Detroit and Columbus they would not move back West, and said it publically, so...will we really see Vegas and Seattle as expansion and then relocation of a team like the Panthers to QC? Also sounds like the arena deal, or lack thereof, is what is holding up the entire process. Vegas will get an arena soon, Quebec is ready next year, so that leaves Seattle, which it seems the NHL is very keen on. If I were a betting man (no pun intended here) I would bet on Seattle and Vegas to even things out, with Quebec getting the next relocation. I don't want Vegas but unless KC or Portland jump into the mix, I just don't see another city West to even the number of teams per conference.