Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 02-27-2017 01:37 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (lolcaps)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16729745)
And I got no responses from the thread when I asked about this days ago! I knew it!

Aero = Bob Mckenzie???? :eek:eek

fonzz41 02-27-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16729749)
:lol They were a free pair of Bauer Vapor APX2 Pro gloves that were only worn once.

My previous ones were the old Nike Bauer Vapor XXXX gloves with holes in the palms. Yes, that's right, I was that guy still skating with Nike Bauer stuff.

Dude, I had Vapor gloves for a while too!

And shoulder pads back in high school. :lol

lockman21 02-27-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16729748)
It's a fair trade but if they miss the playoffs or out in round 1 and he walks, I would think that 2nd rounder could be nicer in a couple years. That's just me though.

Eh, yeah, but I like the message it sends to the kids that they're ready to win. Plus, getting someone like that in the locker room for a playoff run usually pays dividends down the line for a team that young. Boyle's been around the block and can show those kids the ropes in the playoffs.

lockman21 02-27-2017 01:40 PM

Definitely a lot for Burrows. Ottawa always feels like that team that's close, but you just end up feeling bad for them. If they were a How I Met Your Mother episode, it would be "Awww...honey."

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16729752)
Dude, I had Vapor gloves for a while too!

And shoulder pads back in high school. :lol

:lol Of course you did. They were great gloves!

But I couldn't pass up an opportunity for free top-of-the-line barely worn gloves. Even if they have "DARTH" stitched in the thumb.

fonzz41 02-27-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16729759)
:lol Of course you did. They were great gloves!

But I couldn't pass up an opportunity for free top-of-the-line barely worn gloves. Even if they have "DARTH" stitched in the thumb.

:lol Dude, I get it. As a young hockey player without loads of money to throw around, you take new gear however you can get it.

Lcsulla 02-27-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16729762)
:lol Dude, I get it. As a young hockey player without loads of money to throw around, you take new gear however you can get it.

Yeah, outside of my stick (a Christian) my major equipment (skates/gloves) are both Graf and I love them!

fonzz41 02-27-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16729793)
Yeah, outside of my stick (a Christian) my major equipment (skates/gloves) are both Graf and I love them!

Whoa... now that's vintage.

lockman21 02-27-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16729762)

I just broke my CCM RBZ stick the other day too :mad

Equipment is so stupid expensive.

lockman21 02-27-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16729793)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16729801)

:lol I don't think this has ever been more appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQEji4_SIg

fonzz41 02-27-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16729804)
I just broke my CCM RBZ stick the other day too :mad

Equipment is so stupid expensive.

How do you like those? I try not to spend too much on sticks, and I know those are kind of middle of the road price-wise. I don't like much flex, so durability is key for me. With all the chopping you know I do.

Lcsulla 02-27-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16729801)

Yeah, it is but way back when Easton was making aluminum sticks the Christian version was far lower in cost and now I am used to it and I always use a toe hook (illegal I know) for the blade!

Graf sort of vintage these days too, skates I got new but the gloves I got used on the cheap.

Rest of my gear is CCM.

Basically I have no issues with any of my gear, I am just so used to it all after using it for literally nearly 2 decades! :)

dmbetc 02-27-2017 02:53 PM

Seriously, why?

"Budaj, 34, appeared in 53 games this season with the Kings, posting a 27-20-3 record with a 2.12 goals-against average (third in the NHL), a .917 save percentage and seven shutouts (tied for the league-lead)."

"Bishop, 30 (born Nov. 21, 1986), has played in 32 games with the Lightning this year, posting a 16-12-3 record, a 2.55 goals-against average, a .911 save percentage and one shutout."

dmbetc 02-27-2017 03:01 PM

Only thing that makes sense is flipping Bishop. But, to who? Dallas? Avs? Maybe?

gah

Lcsulla 02-27-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16729821)
Only thing that makes sense is flipping Bishop. But, to who? Dallas? Maybe?

You really want one of their goalies as a backup for Quick, they are both subpar and it is not like there is an abundance or good goalies that you could obtain by flipping Bishop since he is a free agent at years end! :)

dmbetc 02-27-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16729824)
You really want one of their goalies as a backup for Quick, they are both subpar and it is not like there is an abundance or good goalies that you could obtain by flipping Bishop since he is a free agent at years end! :)

Then what's the point of giving away our backup goalie who has better stats than Bishop?

There's something more to this. Package of Bishop & Gaborik.

lockman21 02-27-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16729807)
How do you like those? I try not to spend too much on sticks, and I know those are kind of middle of the road price-wise. I don't like much flex, so durability is key for me. With all the chopping you know I do.

Love it. I have (had) two of these:

https://www.totalhockey.com/product/.../itm/10246-41/

Someone broke mine by slashing down on my stick and it just snapped in half. I was pretty pissed.

BUT, to answer your question, I love them. I really thought it was a lot of marketing mumbo-jumbo, but the puck really does just explode off the blade. It has a great kick-point too. I love the variable kick point stuff, as when I had a Vapor with a low-kick, I was just launching slap shots into the netting. It has a great feel in the blade too. I'll likely stick with these for a while.

I was lucky though and caught mine on clearance for like $100/ea. They were normally $250/ea, I think.

fonzz41 02-27-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16729826)

Someone broke mine by slashing down on my stick and it just snapped in half. I was pretty pissed.

BUT, to answer your question, I love them. I really thought it was a lot of marketing mumbo-jumbo, but the puck really does just explode off the blade. It has a great kick-point too. I love the variable kick point stuff, as when I had a Vapor with a low-kick, I was just launching slap shots into the netting. It has a great feel in the blade too. I'll likely stick with these for a while.

I was lucky though and caught mine on clearance for like $100/ea. They were normally $250/ea, I think.

Cool, good to know. Great to hear about the kick point. That's good stuff for me right now. Playing a bit more of a mobile role where sometimes I'm sending them from the blueline, and where I'm dropping a little lower into the slot and wristing a few. You know how it is... all depends on the situation.

I think I saw some at our local shop for $120. May have been an older model, which I'm fine with as long as it's not to the point of brittle. No need for the latest and greatest when I'm just playing once-a-week beer league.

lockman21 02-27-2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16729833)
Cool, good to know. Great to hear about the kick point. That's good stuff for me right now. Playing a bit more of a mobile role where sometimes I'm sending them from the blueline, and where I'm dropping a little lower into the slot and wristing a few. You know how it is... all depends on the situation.

I think I saw some at our local shop for $120. May have been an older model, which I'm fine with as long as it's not to the point of brittle. No need for the latest and greatest when I'm just playing once-a-week beer league.

I'm right there with you. Been trying to get more offensively involved lately, which is usually just resulting in me being way out of position, dropping my head, whispering "fuck" to myself and skating hard back to catch-up with a developing 2-on-1 the other way.

aeroshady 02-27-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16729825)
Then what's the point of giving away our backup goalie who has better stats than Bishop?

To be fair, I don't think the stats tell the entire story. Overall Ben Bishop is good enough to be a #1 in the NHL and is probably better than what you traded away. Tampa has really had a surprisingly shit year and the play in front of BB was not great this season.

Just my thoughts.

Now will LA please trade Brown to the Rangers for a conditional pick so we can win the Cup and you can just be a Rangers fan again!

dmbetc 02-27-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16729851)
To be fair, I don't think the stats tell the entire story. Overall Ben Bishop is good enough to be a #1 in the NHL and is probably better than what you traded away. Tampa has really had a surprisingly shit year and the play in front of BB was not great this season.

Just my thoughts.

Now will LA please trade Brown to the Rangers for a conditional pick so we can win the Cup and you can just be a Rangers fan again!

So, I guess they don't have confidence in Quick finishing out the season, otherwise a #1 goalie is backing up at #1 goalie. Seems odd.

Unless they are going to move Quick. :lol

And yes to your last part!

dmbetc 02-27-2017 03:44 PM

To add to my above post. The trade doesn't make sense because Budaj is more than enough to be a back up. And Quicks return game on Saturday he looked great. So thats why I can only think that Lombardi is going to try and flip Bishop with Gaborik as there have been reports they are trying to trade Gaborik.

Lcsulla 02-27-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16729825)

No clue, perhaps that is why I am not a GM. Who knows what he has up his sleeve. I see no real benefit to the trade unless they plan on moving Bishop and already have something set up to an extend to swap Bishop and maybe someone else for a solid backup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16729826)

Yeah, aint that always the way - we fall in love with a certain type of stick and they break. For years I used a Koho fiberglass (some ugly purple thing but light as a feather) that was similar to an old Titan Turbo gold and I probably ended up buying 5 new ones a season. Loved that stick, wish I still had one. They discontinued it so I switched to the Christian after trying a few other similar ones I hated. Sucks that Koho was bought out by Reebok, the quality has gone down - I have tried some of the Adidas composite sticks (back when they actually made them before returning entirely to wooden stcks) and they are nowhere in the same ballpark as my trusty old Koho!

Lcsulla 02-27-2017 06:06 PM

Wow, that hooking call against LA was a really soft call. Ref should have kept the whistle in his pocket on that one.

TMoore4075 02-27-2017 06:24 PM

Rumor of Shats going to the Caps. If that happens...wow.

~Crashintome89~ 02-27-2017 06:45 PM

looks like it's a done deal, but we don't know what's coming back.

fonzz41 02-27-2017 06:49 PM

C'mon Caps, do it for Sharts

fonzz41 02-27-2017 06:55 PM

From Lebrun: Shattenkirk trade has other details but main parts I believe: 1st RD pick in 2017, 2nd RD pick in 2018 and Zach Ranford going to St. Louis

~Crashintome89~ 02-27-2017 07:00 PM

Definitely a rental price for sure. I heard somewhere he wants to sign with the Rangers in the summer.

Lcsulla 02-27-2017 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16729959)
looks like it's a done deal, but we don't know what's coming back.

Yeah, curious they are loading up like this. Maybe they took him to deny him to another team, guess we will know more soon about this rumor and who St. Louis gets in return if this is all true!

TheLastPig 02-27-2017 07:07 PM

Shattenkirk to the caps. That's a good move for them, it's about time to go all in.

fonzz41 02-27-2017 07:09 PM

Carlson, Alzner, Niskanen, Orlov, Shattenkirk, Orpik

That might be the best top 6 I've seen. At least on paper. Not kidding.

Capitals know their window has never been more open than it is right now. All in.

~Crashintome89~ 02-27-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16729975)
Yeah, curious they are loading up like this. Maybe they took him to deny him to another team, guess we will know more soon about this rumor and who St. Louis gets in return if this is all true!

:freak:freak:freak:freak:freak

Shatty gives them another top 4 defenseman who plays at least 20 minutes a night. Why wouldn't they load up?

bradshaw06 02-27-2017 07:13 PM

Dayum caps

fonzz41 02-27-2017 07:16 PM

I mean, any guy on that top 6, with the exception of maybe Orpik at this stage in his career, has the skill set to play on the top pair. Crazy.

lockman21 02-27-2017 07:23 PM

Holy shit. Blues got robbed.

Arizona got more for Hanzal, didn't they?

lockman21 02-27-2017 07:25 PM

:lol

CAPS GUY 1: "We're a regular season juggernaut that struggles to reach the Cup. What should we do?"
CAPS GUY 2: "Get guys from the Blues."

JRS1386 02-27-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16729855)
So, I guess they don't have confidence in Quick finishing out the season, otherwise a #1 goalie is backing up at #1 goalie. Seems odd.

Unless they are going to move Quick. :lol

And yes to your last part!

Flyers do it all the time :death

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730013)

Barbs: "We're a regular season juggernaut that struggles to reach the Cup. What should we do?"
Brohan: "Get guys from the Blues."

fonzz41 02-27-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730011)
Holy shit. Blues got robbed.

Arizona got more for Hanzal, didn't they?

A little tough to compare apples to apples.

Arizona got a 1st, 2nd, and conditional 2nd. BUT going back to Minny was also another roster player (White) and a 4th.

STL also gets a 1st and 2nd, but then a prospect who is supposed to be decent. STL also retaining 50% of salary. Sharts was the only piece going to Washington.

lockman21 02-27-2017 07:44 PM

Still feels like Sharts should have commanded more than that. Especially for retaining that much salary.

Defensemen usually have a higher value at the deadline, too. Just crazy.

lockman21 02-27-2017 07:47 PM

Damnit, HL, can the Kings do ANYTHING right?

lockman21 02-27-2017 07:47 PM

They had one job, just beat the Wild in regulation.

lockman21 02-27-2017 07:53 PM

Wow, Granlund just absolutely embarrassed Kopitar, Doughty and Quick all in one play.

Lcsulla 02-27-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730027)
They had one job, just beat the Wild in regulation.

Agreed, motherfucking Minnesota! God dammit. Lucky pricks.

Lcsulla 02-27-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730031)
Wow, Granlund just absolutely embarrassed Kopitar, Doughty and Quick all in one play.

One of them should have taken him down and gone to the penalty box for a 4 on 3.

Lcsulla 02-27-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16729991)
Carlson, Alzner, Niskanen, Orlov, Shattenkirk, Orpik

That might be the best top 6 I've seen. At least on paper. Not kidding.

Capitals know their window has never been more open than it is right now. All in.

Keith, Seabrook, Hjarlmasson, TVR, Campbell and Kempney or Rozsival would give then a run for their money!

lockman21 02-27-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16730061)
Keith, Seabrook, Hjarlmasson, TVR, Campbell and Kempney or Rozsival would give then a run for their money!

Yeah, I'd take the Hawks top-end blue line talent over the Caps for sure (Keith, Seabs, Hjalmarsson), but they're probably more well rounded 1 through 6. TvR is probably the Hawks 4th best at this point, and he's prone to a lot of boneheaded mistakes (see: goal last night). Campbell is starting to show age, and we know what Rozsival is.

Thing is, come playoff time, it's top-end talent that wins you the Cup. Keith will be eating 30+ minutes per game, Seabs and Hjalmarsson will be 25+ each, etc.

I really love Nashville's blue line, too.

fonzz41 02-27-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16730061)

Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson, yeah. But after that, disagree. Even taking off the Caps top three guys to even it up, I'd still take Orlov, Niskanen, and Orpik over TVR, Campbell, Kempney or Rozsival
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730065)
Yeah, I'd take the Hawks top-end blue line talent over the Caps for sure (Keith, Seabs, Hjalmarsson), but they're probably more well rounded 1 through 6. TvR is probably the Hawks 4th best at this point, and he's prone to a lot of boneheaded mistakes (see: goal last night). Campbell is starting to show age, and we know what Rozsival is.

Thing is, come playoff time, it's top-end talent that wins you the Cup. Keith will be eating 30+ minutes per game, Seabs and Hjalmarsson will be 25+ each, etc.

this. I would take Keith over any Caps blue liner any day. Hammer and Seabs in some cases too. But like you said, There's top end talent 1-6 on washington's back end. Sure, they may not have the Cup experience that CHI does, and not discounting that value. But hey, there was a time when they didn't have that either. These guys have the depth and talent. They're green, but they just set themselves up to have their best shot at the Cup yet, IMO.

Again, deepest blue line in the NHL on paper

barbogast 02-28-2017 03:39 AM

Well I'll be god damned

barbogast 02-28-2017 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16729975)

What exactly is curious about it?

Caps window is wide open. It'll dramatically shut on July 1. Shattenkirk is best player available ahead of deadline. Load up, go for Cup. Nothing curious about that at all.

Good for BMac. Dude's a fucking stud.

barbogast 02-28-2017 04:08 AM

I just can't get over this one. I wasn't a proponent of a big trade but this is different. That's a trade you don't say no to.

He got fucking Shattenkirk. Unreal. His tenure as GM has been nothing short of brilliant.

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 05:02 AM

Two closest things I can compare it to is Detroit in 99 (a little different since they were trying for 3 but..) Holland said I dunno how long this window will be open so lets do it and got Chelios, Ulf Samuelsson, Wendal Clark and Bill Ranford at the deadline and the other and maybe closer comparison is Avs in 2001. Already had a stud team, got Bourque the year before and then went out and got Rob Blake. Shats is no Rob Blake but it's the stacking up and going for it. Probably one of the last places I saw him going but makes sense because they are a team that needs to go all in when they get the shot.

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 05:54 AM

If Brendan Smith is re-signed I will flip my shit. Is he better than some of the guys they have or might have? Sure. But does he make them that much better? Like does he make them a playoff team next year with him and not one without him? No. So why waste the money?

Brohan_Santana 02-28-2017 06:16 AM

Good thing MacLellan listened to the smart people in this thread (me), made a move, and got Shattenkirk for a good price

Brohan_Santana 02-28-2017 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16728380)
Oh good lord. The last thing they need is to bring someone in. You can't be serious.

Who do they bring in? .

SHATTY!!!!!!!

Honestly thought that the Caps would bring in a top 6 forward but this is better.

Also wouldn't rule out Caps still bringing in a top 6 forward by tomorrow

aeroshady 02-28-2017 06:24 AM

Really happy about the trade. Rangers should not have been in the Shartinkirk sweepstakes and now it will be even more entertaining when the Caps don't win the Cup!

Brohan_Santana 02-28-2017 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16730158)
Really happy about the trade. Rangers should not have been in the Shartinkirk sweepstakes and now it will be even more entertaining when the Caps don't win the Cup!

What?? Rangers need a puck moving Dman more than the Caps did

fonzz41 02-28-2017 06:55 AM

I think the Rangers will definitely go for Sharts, but will do it in the offseason when they don't have to give up anything for him (besides dollarz).

Brohan_Santana 02-28-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16728798)
Bold #1: Please tell me this is the justification you are using for the Caps playoff woes. If given a whole year to think of excuses for why the Caps failed in the playoffs I don't think I would have ever thought this one. Very Brohan of you to find fault in something stupid like this

Bold #2: They played the Rangers twice and lost to the Rangers twice. Maybe its the Caps who are inferior in regards to this particular match up

Bold #3: He's not, shut up.

Bold #4: Please tell us how they are different that makes them closer to winning? I thought when they got Trotz they would win one, but its year 3 (I think) with him and they are the same old Caps.

Bold #5: Ok GM Brohan what trade should the BEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE make?

Bold #6: Sent from my desktop via lolcaps

#1: This is not any sort of justification. The Caps had never had any issues getting out of the 1st round generally speaking. So not sure why you would think that would be justification.

#2: Play the Rags tonight, it's just another regular season game but would be great to blow them out of the water for once. Caps are the better team just need to prove it

#3: Why am i even responding to your stupidity right now

#4: This team is the deepest they've ever been. All 4 lines are solid. Team is finally the most well rounded then they have ever been. Leadership is there. They are also more deep on the center than they ever been, backstroke/kuzy/eller/beagle is pretty good as long as Kuzy doesn't have his head up his ass. If you don't see any differences in this team than years past then I don't know what to tell you

#5: Would like a top 6 forward to put on the second line while AB65 deals with his hand issues. And even when he comes back what says he'll be 100%? Also Shattenkirk

#6: Claude Giroux is fucking awful and a shit captain

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16730191)
I think the Rangers will definitely go for Sharts, but will do it in the offseason when they don't have to give up anything for him (besides dollarz).

Yeah. You take your chance in the offseason. Caps gave up a lot for a rental so I would assume the cost for a sign and trade was probably more so you just wait until July 1.

Brohan_Santana 02-28-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16730191)

For the semi-steal the Caps got Shattenkirk, its surprising the Rangers didn't make the same move. Unless they think with such a stacked Metro they don't see themselves making a deep run this year?? while saving up for the years to come

Dramageek 02-28-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16730209)
#1: This is not any sort of justification. The Caps had never had any issues getting out of the 1st round generally speaking. So not sure why you would think that would be justification.

#2: Play the Rags tonight, it's just another regular season game but would be great to blow them out of the water for once. Caps are the better team just need to prove it

#3: Why am i even responding to your stupidity right now

#4: This team is the deepest they've ever been. All 4 lines are solid. Team is finally the most well rounded then they have ever been. Leadership is there. They are also more deep on the center than they ever been, backstroke/kuzy/eller/beagle is pretty good as long as Kuzy doesn't have his head up his ass. If you don't see any differences in this team than years past then I don't know what to tell you

#5: Would like a top 6 forward to put on the second line while AB65 deals with his hand issues. And even when he comes back what says he'll be 100%? Also Shattenkirk

#6: Claude Giroux is fucking awful and a shit captain

I never like to agree with you, but the bold is spot on. Caps are scary good this year. On top of all that, there's the world-class Vezina candidate Holtby in net.

Provided that both teams take care of their business in Round 1, which is likely, Round 2 is shaping up to be another Pens-Caps slugfest.

Brohan_Santana 02-28-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16728799)
I agree with everything you said.

But you didn't answer any of my questions. What's the move? Let's say you add without moving a roster player. Who sits? I don't see a move worth making, honestly. If they come up against the other best team in the league in round 2 again, it is what it is. A trade won't fix that.

And I'm fully aware of the time constraints. You forgot Kuznetsov (also non-expendable) and I think Burakovsky is up as well this year. But making a trade just for the sake of making a trade isn't smart in my opinion.

Kuznetsov and AB65 are both RFA's. Much easier to deal with. But this year is probably when they lock up Kuznetsov long term. Vrana can replace AB65 easily. Really hope Vrana doesn't have to replace Oshie.

Honestly the Caps really need Orpik to go to Vegas.

lockman21 02-28-2017 07:20 AM

Yeah, it's scary saying this...but Brohan was spot on there for #4.

lockman21 02-28-2017 07:23 AM

If I'm Vegas, I'm not taking Orpik.

fonzz41 02-28-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730225)
Yeah, it's scary saying this...but Brohan was spot on there for #4.

Yeah. Like I said earlier, the window has never been more open for the Caps even before they got Shattenkirk. Good on McLellan for recognizing that and making an additional move that could put them over the top.

~Crashintome89~ 02-28-2017 07:41 AM

if the caps don't win this year, they're never going to win a cup with Ovi.

aeroshady 02-28-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16730175)
What?? Rangers need a puck moving Dman more than the Caps did

Rangers went down this road already and it didn't work with Yadel. We can't keep trading prospects for "our chance." We have done it every season for 4 years. I like my Rangers team and think if we wind up in the Atlantic we could easily make the Eastern Finals again. That said, I would rather wait for summer to fix areas that need improvement. We got younger and faster this year and I believe it opened our window for another few years.

aeroshady 02-28-2017 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16730247)

I agree with this to be honest. Sadly, I still like the Penguins to get back to ECF at least.

lockman21 02-28-2017 07:56 AM

Well, this is the single most confusing trade of all time.

Quote:

Kevin Shattenkirk, Pheonix Copley to WSH for Zach Sanford, Brad Malone, 1st in 2017 and the following conditional pick(s):

1. If WSH re-signs Shattenkirk OR advances to East Final+he plays in 50% of first two rounds, STL gets 2019 2nd rounder

2. If WSH trades him on/before July 1, STL gets a 7th rounder. However, should return be a 4th round pick or earlier, then, instead of a 7th, STL gets next available pick two rounds later than the earliest pick received by WSH. For example, if a WSH trade gets a 3rd for him, STL receives a 5th.

STL retains 39% of Shattenkirk's salary.

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 08:00 AM

Yeah were they like "lets fuck with the media and see how crazy we can do this."?

lockman21 02-28-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16730273)
Yeah were they like "lets fuck with the media and see how crazy we can do this."?

Really, I mean, this is Washington protecting themselves, I guess? The more I think about this trade, 1) the more my brain hurts, and 2) the more I think the Blues got hosed.

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730280)

Really, I mean, this is Washington protecting themselves, I guess? The more I think about this trade, 1) the more my brain hurts, and 2) the more I think the Blues got hosed.

Yeah I have no idea about the prospects and a 1st is good but they get bounced early they lose the 2nd rounder and I bet they trade his rights between the draft and July 1 so they probably get a 5th or 6th. Better than the Blues only getting a pick for his rights in June I guess. If they get all of the things it's alright but that's a lot of if's especially in a tough Metro.

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 08:21 AM

Glad it's spring break at UM so I can spend a lot more time obsessively checking twitter about Wings trades.

hailtopitt 02-28-2017 08:39 AM

the Caps have no excuses now

pressure is on

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 08:44 AM

Pressure has always been on them the last few years. I always go back to...it's the NHL. Anything can happen in a 7 game series. 2003 the Ducks went to game 7 of the Finals and Dallas, St Louis, Detroit, Avs were all gone early and they were all pretty stacked. Same goes 2004 when the Flames went. Wings 2009 team was stacked too. Granted they got to the Finals and had a couple injuries in the Finals but still didn't win it.

If this was the NBA they'd be in the Finals guaranteed.

hailtopitt 02-28-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16730314)
Pressure has always been on them the last few years. I always go back to...it's the NHL. Anything can happen in a 7 game series. 2003 the Ducks went to game 7 of the Finals and Dallas, St Louis, Detroit, Avs were all gone early and they were all pretty stacked. Same goes 2004 when the Flames went. Wings 2009 team was stacked too. Granted they got to the Finals and had a couple injuries in the Finals but still didn't win it.

this is a different type of pressure now though

they got arguably the best available D-man at the deadline and the Ovie window is closing fast

they've been able to use coaching, goaltending, and blueline as excuses in the past (although unjustified)

it's now or never IMO for the Caps

Lcsulla 02-28-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16730314)

I think the pressure is to win now. Look at their roster; Williams Oshie and Alzner are unrestricted free agents after this season while Burakovsky and Kuznetsov are restricted free agents plus my guess is Shattenkirk signs with the Rangers after this year. Ovie, Backstrom and Holtby are not getting any younger either plus they are likely to lose someone to Vegas so I think there is a sense of urgency in Washington too finally climb this mountain.

Yeah, if it was the NBA we could probably just drown them and not bother with the playoffs but strange things happen in the NHL so you never know. What happens if Holtby somehow falters in a crucial game 7, what if he gets injured - is Grubauer capable of winning big games for them?

Damn that is a great roster to look at, so much power and scoring there. I think Trotz's main problem from here until round 1 is going to be getting all his solid blue liners ice time. I think they have all but sealed up the metro with that addition and they are going to be one damn fun team to watch light it up for a few months, maybe this is there year.

barbogast 02-28-2017 09:02 AM

I don't understand why everyone thinks this tear's Caps team is so clearly better than last year's.

But yeah they should probably get it done this year.

barbogast 02-28-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16730150)
Good thing MacLellan listened to the smart people in this thread (me), made a move, and got Shattenkirk for a good price

There's no way anyone could've predicted a trade like this. Of course anyone would've done it. When I said I wasn't a fan if bringing someone in a) I was mostly referring to a forward and b) I had no clue the Blues were planning to give Shattenkirk away

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16730211)
Yeah. You take your chance in the offseason. Caps gave up a lot for a rental so I would assume the cost for a sign and trade was probably more so you just wait until July 1.

I don't agree, Caps got him for a steal

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730229)
If I'm Vegas, I'm not taking Orpik.

They won't

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16730247)

It will surely become much more difficult after this season.

Lcsulla 02-28-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730065)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16730075)
Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson, yeah. But after that, disagree. Even taking off the Caps top three guys to even it up, I'd still take Orlov, Niskanen, and Orpik over TVR, Campbell, Kempney or Rozsival

this. I would take Keith over any Caps blue liner any day. Hammer and Seabs in some cases too. But like you said, There's top end talent 1-6 on washington's back end. Sure, they may not have the Cup experience that CHI does, and not discounting that value. But hey, there was a time when they didn't have that either. These guys have the depth and talent. They're green, but they just set themselves up to have their best shot at the Cup yet, IMO.

Again, deepest blue line in the NHL on paper

I agree with both of you - I would certainly take Keith, Seabrook of Hjarmalsson over anyone on the Caps - TVR is still maturing but is generally solid, my fear is that Vegas is going to snatch him up PDQ. Yeah, Campbell is getting old but he is still steady, Kempny is still growing as a player, Rozsival is on the downside I think - thing is all of them except Kempny are tested in Cup finals and have proven their mettle and I think when the Hawks sever ties with Rozsival Gustav Forsling will be taking his place and he is only going to get better. On paper the Caps look more steady for sure but on the ice experience counts for a lot and the Hawks have that in abundance in their blue liners so I guess we will see what gives in the playoffs - a Caps/Hawks final would be a great series.

On another note anyone catch Kucherov's natural hat trick last night - damn that was gorgeous to watch. At first I thought they were replaying the same damn shot three times until I saw the hats come on to the ice. That was on helluva performance!

Dramageek 02-28-2017 09:11 AM

Eric Fehr was just put on waivers. I've also read that the Pens are taking a look at D-man Justin Falk. Something appears to be in the works. Hmmm...

hailtopitt 02-28-2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16730354)
Eric Fehr was just put on waivers. I've also read that the Pens are taking a look at D-man Justin Falk. Something appears to be in the works. Hmmm...

this is weird that all the Pens rumors are coming out of Raleigh

i know GMJR is familiar with that organization, to say the least, but Faulk?!?!

he's young, which is nice, but his salary is almost $6 million...no way that works unless they trade Fleury (unlikely) or Carolina picks up his salary.

seems like a stretch to me. i know very little about him, though.

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 09:19 AM

Oh I agree the pressure might be a little more but my expectations of this team are no different than it was a year ago so that's why I don't think it's that big of a deal. They could easily lose in round 2 and that's nothing against them it's just the way it is.

Dramageek 02-28-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16730361)
this is weird that all the Pens rumors are coming out of Raleigh

i know GMJR is familiar with that organization, to say the least, but Faulk?!?!

he's young, which is nice, but his salary is almost $6 million...no way that works unless they trade Fleury (unlikely) or Carolina picks up his salary.

seems like a stretch to me. i know very little about him, though.

Yeah, the only way it makes any sense is if they trade Fleury.

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16730346)

I don't agree, Caps got him for a steal

That would have been a lot for the Rangers to give up just for a rental which I don't think they wanted is my point.

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 09:21 AM

Brendan Smith on his way to the Rangers for a 2nd and 3rd in this year's draft. Thank you Ken Holland. Vanek, you're on deck.

hailtopitt 02-28-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16730332)
I don't understand why everyone thinks this tear's Caps team is so clearly better than last year's.

But yeah they should probably get it done this year.

it's not so much that they are way better, it's that the window is 1 year closer to closed and they made a splash deadline deal. that builds the pressure IMO.

hailtopitt 02-28-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16730365)
Yeah, the only way it makes any sense is if they trade Fleury.

Fehr on waivers is a weird move to me too, though.

something is happening...

lockman21 02-28-2017 09:27 AM

Who did the Caps lose in the offseason? Besides Jason Chimera? And now they added Sharts?

I'm guessing that's why.

Dramageek 02-28-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16730370)
Fehr on waivers is a weird move to me too, though.

something is happening...

Chatting with my coworker, he said that they likely tried to trade him but got no takers. They seem to be making room for someone. We shall see.

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16730367)
Brendan Smith on his way to the Rangers for a 2nd and 3rd in this year's draft. Thank you Ken Holland. Vanek, you're on deck.

Guess not a #2 this year for NYR so...next year? Curious to see what the deal is when official.

hailtopitt 02-28-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16730376)
Chatting with my coworker, he said that they likely tried to trade him but got no takers. They seem to be making room for someone. We shall see.

yea for sure

i wonder if Fehr will clear waivers

would be nice to bring him back as a depth forward

lockman21 02-28-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16730367)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16730377)
Guess not a #2 this year for NYR so...next year? Curious to see what the deal is when official.

This year's deadline has 0 consistency. This shit cray.

lockman21 02-28-2017 09:36 AM

Blackhawks sign Rozsival and Tootoo to one-year extensions.

Clearly expansion draft related.

aeroshady 02-28-2017 09:37 AM

What can you tell me about Smith?

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730388)
This year's deadline has 0 consistency. This shit cray.

So happy to get two picks for him. Sure they might end up failing, you never know, but that is more valuable than Smith. If this team was on a cusp of a Cup then fine but clearly they are not.

Looks like 2nd rounder is in next year's draft but i'm ok with that.

lockman21 02-28-2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16730396)
What can you tell me about Smith?

He's not Sharts.

lockman21 02-28-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16730399)
So happy to get two picks for him. Sure they might end up failing, you never know, but that is more valuable than Smith. If this team was on a cusp of a Cup then fine but clearly they are not.

Looks like 2nd rounder is in next year's draft but i'm ok with that.

Best comment I've seen - "Detroit just got some great players they can put on waivers in a few years."

lockman21 02-28-2017 09:48 AM

I will say though that he certainly adds depth for you guys. I mean, the Rags need blue line help. He'll slot in fine, especially when Girardi comes back. Besides Sharts, he was probably the best defenseman available. Maybe you go after Johnny Oduya too? Or Kyle Quincey? Or Cody Franson? Idk. But he helps.

Just be ready to get occasionally REALLY frustrated at dumb turnovers.

TMoore4075 02-28-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730407)
Best comment I've seen - "Detroit just got some great players they can put on waivers in a few years."

Eh we'll see what happens. Can't get better sitting still.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16730419)
Just be ready to get occasionally REALLY frustrated at dumb turnovers.

Yeah this. Days where he really brings it (game 3 against Tampa last year) and then days where he just...doesn't.