Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

aeroshady 03-09-2016 05:41 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Rangers should be getting some help back soon. Nash and Hank are possibly back on the weekend.

Lcsulla 03-09-2016 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16329580)
Pretty strong statement coming from a Whalers fan. Loved that logo but those green unis are vomit-tastic

:lol Yeah, I know - the green ones were hideous! Whites were about norm for the league. I was happy when they finally ditched the green and moved to navy blue like this: http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1HConK...Embroidery.jpg

TMoore4075 03-09-2016 07:01 AM

Wings are missing the playoffs. They don't look like anything right now. It's embarrassing to watch. If you are going to miss, just lose out now and get a better pick. Don't want to miss and get pick 14, when they can make it and get pick 15.

hailtopitt 03-09-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16329829)
Wings are missing the playoffs. They don't look like anything right now. It's embarrassing to watch. If you are going to miss, just lose out now and get a better pick. Don't want to miss and get pick 14, when they can make it and get pick 15.

there are nights when the Pens look embarrassing like when they lost to the Flames at home

and there are nights when the Flyers look bad too

the last 2 WC spots in the east are going to come down to the last week of the season...chin up, bud, the Wings could easily find their stride in the next 3 weeks

barbogast 03-09-2016 07:13 AM

The Wings are definitely in a bad patch right now. But, like hail said, the Flyers and Pens are both fairly inconsistent as well. I agree it very well could come down to the final 3-5 games of the season, and any games against one another are crucial.

I know I said yesterday Detroit will get in because they always do. But after I thought about it, there is that thing about streaks. Eventually they snap. But there's still plenty of hockey left.

TMoore4075 03-09-2016 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16329855)
The Wings are definitely in a bad patch right now. But, like hail said, the Flyers and Pens are both fairly inconsistent as well. I agree it very well could come down to the final 3-5 games of the season, and any games against one another are crucial.

I know I said yesterday Detroit will get in because they always do. But after I thought about it, there is that thing about streaks. Eventually they snap. But there's still plenty of hockey left.

I just wanted 25 years to be that #. Sounds stupid but... Drives me nuts cause even though they lost to the Hawks on Sunday, they played well after the first 5 minutes. Last night? Not even close. Out shot like 18-4 in the first period. At least the Jets aren't playing well so here's hoping my last game of the season will be a good one.

barbogast 03-09-2016 08:12 AM

I'm not much of a Jesus-in-the-grilled-cheese type of guy, but this clearly seems like destiny to me:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...gton-capitals/

Alazais 03-09-2016 08:17 AM

Nurse beating up on Polak was disgusting last night. Not the good disgusting but the kind of disgusting that there is no room in hockey for. He should get suspended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkah8AN9Zfw

Polak is trying to get to the bench and gets jumped.

c33dmb 03-09-2016 08:22 AM

I hate midterms. Not only are they the most stressful things ever, they also made me miss the game last night.

That said, the Canes just refuse to go away, which is odd. I really thought the pawn shop approach at the deadline would have neutralized them, but they're still doing alright...

I really would have liked to see Mini-Faulk win that shootout, that was a nifty move he put on. Skinner scoring with 0.1 of a second left to get to OT would have been neat too. Oh well, at least I could see highlights.

fonzz41 03-09-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16329692)
:lol Yeah, I know - the green ones were hideous! Whites were about norm for the league. I was happy when they finally ditched the green and moved to navy blue like this: http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1HConK...Embroidery.jpg

You guys don't like the green Whalers sweaters? I actually love them. I'm up in Calgary right now (going to the game tonight, woo hoo for this little Utah boy!) and saw a green Whale sweater at a hockey store. I was so close to buying it... and haven't ruled out going back to get it!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 16330037)
Nurse beating up on Polak was disgusting last night. Not the good disgusting but the kind of disgusting that there is no room in hockey for. He should get suspended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkah8AN9Zfw

Polak is trying to get to the bench and gets jumped.

I watched this game last night and agree. I understand he was mad about the Hendricks incident that Polak was penalized for (and which it looks like he didn't really do anything on), but at least challenge the guy and go about it fairly rather than just jumping him.

Lcsulla 03-09-2016 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16330087)
You guys don't like the green Whalers sweaters? I actually love them.

Han, they are pretty ugly IMO. I do have a green Brendan Shanahan one though. I rarely wear it, in fact I think the only time I do is when my skates are laced up and I have a stick in my hand! :lol

That said my blue authentic Dineen jersey is great, I can wear that anywhere. Always makes me smile when I realize what a cult following the Whalers have. At Red Rocks in 2005 (DMB) I had a Whalers hoodie on, when we were leaving the venue after the night 1 show someone noticed it and started up a 'let's go Whalers' chant that was quickly picked up by hundreds of people. Even more astounding (to me anyhow) was a few years back I was walking the beachfront strip of Isle De Roaton (Honduras) in a Whalers T-shirt and someone spotted it and next thing you know there were about a thousand people doing the 'Let's go Whalers' chant. The natives wanted their photo taken with me and Americans bought me over half a dozen drinks just to chat hockey. If I was in the US I would have been less surprised but this was in friggin Honduras. :lol

lockman21 03-09-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16329829)

Ehhhhh, I've always hated this mentality. Tanking has not only never really been shown to actually help, but often times it hurts. People just look at it from an outsiders perspective and think "better picks = better players!" If tanking is so great, than why do the Blackhawks, Spurs, Patriots, etc. keep winning?

A winning culture means a hell of a lot more than 5 draft spots, in my opinion. It motivates your team, creates a desire to want to win there, and brings in free agents. Saad was a 2nd rounder, Teravainen was the 18th pick, Keith was a late 2nd round pick, Seabrook was actually your dreaded pick 14, etc.

Teams should want to compete and win until game 82. These are professional athletes, not fantasy sports managers. If nothing else, look no further than the 2010 Flyers or 2011 Kings.

lockman21 03-09-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16330087)
You guys don't like the green Whalers sweaters? I actually love them.

Seriously. They're glorious.

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/imag...dary/18378.jpg

lockman21 03-09-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c33dmb (Post 16330049)
I hate midterms. Not only are they the most stressful things ever, they also made me miss the game last night.

:lol :lol God damnit, do I miss college.

Dramageek 03-09-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16330158)
Ehhhhh, I've always hated this mentality. Tanking has not only never really been shown to actually help, but often times it hurts. People just look at it from an outsiders perspective and think "better picks = better players!" If tanking is so great, than why do the Blackhawks, Spurs, Patriots, etc. keep winning?

A winning culture means a hell of a lot more than 5 draft spots, in my opinion. It motivates your team, creates a desire to want to win there, and brings in free agents. Saad was a 2nd rounder, Teravainen was the 18th pick, Keith was a late 2nd round pick, Seabrook was actually your dreaded pick 14, etc.

Teams should want to compete and win until game 82. These are professional athletes, not fantasy sports managers. If nothing else, look no further than the 2010 Flyers or 2011 Kings.

The only time tanking worked was when the Pens tanked to draft Lemieux. TSN actually did a great documentary on this called "Playing to Lose." :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-CRnk6fH0c

But with a shot a the playoffs, the Wings should definitely keep at it. If for no other reason to say they've made the playoffs for about 100 years in a row.

fonzz41 03-09-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16330159)

I knew you'd agree with me on this.

I'm in love. Both with you, and the sweaters.

Brohan_Santana 03-09-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16330028)
I'm not much of a Jesus-in-the-grilled-cheese type of guy, but this clearly seems like destiny to me:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...gton-capitals/

#OvechChip :lol :lol :lol :lol

dmbetc 03-09-2016 12:01 PM

Wish I could be at Staples tonight.

:lol:lol
http://www.battleofcali.com/2016/3/9...ustin-williams

dmbetc 03-09-2016 02:37 PM

Here's an "interesting" stat: The Capitals have not won a game in Los Angeles since December 14, 2005, Alexander Ovechkln’s first-career game at STAPLES Center. Since then, the Kings are 5-0-0 against the Capitals on home ice, holding Ovechkin to just four points (1G, 3A) during their visits – he scored his first goal at STAPLES Center last season on February 14, 2015 in the Kings’ 3-1 victory.

barbogast 03-09-2016 04:47 PM

Yeah I don't know what it is about LA and San Jose. The Caps do not fare well in those buildings.

Brohan_Santana 03-09-2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16330800)
Here's an "interesting" stat: The Capitals have not won a game in Los Angeles since December 14, 2005, Alexander Ovechkln’s first-career game at STAPLES Center. Since then, the Kings are 5-0-0 against the Capitals on home ice, holding Ovechkin to just four points (1G, 3A) during their visits – he scored his first goal at STAPLES Center last season on February 14, 2015 in the Kings’ 3-1 victory.

"Only" 4 points in 5 road games :lol :lol :lol

lockman21 03-09-2016 08:57 PM

Tough to lose to St. Louis like that, but that was a hell of a hockey game. My heart was pounding the entire time.

I will say though, I get lost watching Duncan Keith play sometimes. Just forget about the rest of the game and watch him play.

c33dmb 03-09-2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16330160)
:lol :lol God damnit, do I miss college.

I never said the other 50 weeks of the year weren't awesome. :D

dmbetc 03-09-2016 09:30 PM

God damn I miss J Williams so much. Awesome guy on and off the ice.

dmbetc 03-09-2016 09:46 PM

Thanks Avs!!

dmbetc 03-09-2016 10:08 PM

Orlov just undressed the Kings and fucked their girlfriends while they stood watching with their dicks in their hands.

fonzz41 03-09-2016 10:19 PM

Went to the Flames game tonight (in Calgary for work). A couple things:

Shea Weber is even more beastly live.

Mike Fisher works as hard as anyone in the league, every shift.

TJ Brodie is on my list of most underrated defensemen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16331250)
Thanks Avs!!

The Avalanche frustrate me endlessly. They lose absolute stinkers to non playoff teams, then go out and put together a complete game against the hottest team in the league where they looked like everything they should look like with their talent.

But on behalf of the Avs, you're welcome.

TMoore4075 03-10-2016 05:23 AM

Next years outdoor games are actually worth something. Heritage Classic is two crap teams but the original Jets and the Oilers had a rivalry. Wings and Leafs for the Centennial game, makes sense for their 100th year, Blues and Hawks in St Louis. Getting sick of the Hawks but at least this one makes sense unlike Pens vs Hawks cause that final where the Pens swept them 25 years ago was so good and then Pens Flyers for the Stadium series.

JRS1386 03-10-2016 05:56 AM

Flyers-Pens in back to back years for outside should be fun. I don't know if I should try to go to the Heinz field game next year or wait til its in Philly but I am definitely going to one of them

unccrombie 03-10-2016 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16331234)
Tough to lose to St. Louis like that, but that was a hell of a hockey game. My heart was pounding the entire time.

I will say though, I get lost watching Duncan Keith play sometimes. Just forget about the rest of the game and watch him play.

bad call on Reaves hit on Erhoff, great game though

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16331255)
Orlov just undressed the Kings and fucked their girlfriends while they stood watching with their dicks in their hands.

:lol