Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

bradshaw06 04-06-2015 10:35 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15897841)
It stayed pretty neck and neck the whole week. Good times!

So i just checked.. it says we tied?

Edit: but i am guessing you win based off of tie breakers.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-06-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15898188)
Who the fuck are you?

oh me? im nobody.
ill start expressing my opinions once the team i root for wins a playoff seriers.

lockman21 04-06-2015 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15897847)
i'll preface again by saying i think hockey is the purest, most exciting sport to watch and one of the hardest to play at a high level. the NHL also has the best playoffs of any other leagues IMO. However, what's wrong with the league:

1. Too many teams--30 teams is way too many. it dilutes the talent pool greatly. there would be even more parity if we had, say, 26-28 teams tops. Too many cities that won't ever care about hockey.
2. Fighting is legal--i won't get into the whole debate. i know a lot of ppl (cough, matty, cough) think it has a place in the game. and that's fine. however, i really think it stunts the league's growth. it also delays games, turns a beautiful game into a side show more often than not, and facilitates serious injuries. back to point #1, fighting also keeps "goons" and less talented players on rosters simply because they can "enforce" Fighting also dilutes the talent pool
3. Discipline--it's a joke. if you are going to allow fighting, then the NHL at least needs to discourage dirty and unnecessary plays. it's system of punishment is arbitrary at best, and often does nothing to curb future acts of violence.
4. Rule changes--scoring is down (again). we may see bigger nets and smaller goalie pads pretty soon, which is a start. But, every time the NHL attempts to adjust the way the game is officiated, it lasts for about 3-4 weeks then goes back to the way it was. Every other major sport has made rules changes to cater to it's superstars. a sport thrives when it's stars can shine. For example:
A) The NFL has made it almost impossible to touch a QB. it has enforced illegal contact and pass interference more and more each year, to allow for more offense, and in turn, QBs and WRs to thrive. it has only helped the game.
B) MLB has seen it's ballparks shrink dramatically over the years. Chicks dig the long ball. We are now seeing rules being heavily enforced on blocking the plate, speeding up the game, and the long awaited addition of instant replay. MLB was slow to adjust, but at least they did
C) NBA--has Lebron ever been called for a travel? There such a thing as an illegal defense :lol and going back further, the 24 second shot clock and the 3 point line...all meant to increase offense and cater to the superstars.

5. Canada--we get it, Canada. this is your baby, your thing, your apple fucking pie. But let's have some real talk. The NHL brings the world's best talent because it caught on in the USA. The money is here, the markets are here, but the mentality isn't. It's still run by the good ol' canadian boys who want to keep it a garage league. and it's working. There needs to be fresh, young, and maybe even American faces running things. All of the other major sports leagues are doing everything they can to have a product in line with the year 2015. NHL seems content on a 1970's product.

sorry, long winded, i know.

1) I hate this way too much, and so does the NHL. They're expanding, and soon, so this is a silly thing you should probably get over quickly. The idea that there are cities that will "never care about hockey" is so shortsighted it's sickening. Hockey is a fantastic sport, and the only way to grow it is to keep pushing it in markets where it's not popular. You know how to guarantee those markets will never care about hockey? Abandon them. If you just focus on cities where hockey is successful, you can guarantee yourself that it will always remain a niche sport. Progress isn't made from decisions like this. I want to see as many people all over the country fall in love with this great game...I really can't express into words how much I hate that last statement in #1 here.

2) Dumb. We've discussed this in depth plenty of times already, I won't dive into it more.

3) I somewhat agree here, actually. I think they need to make punishments more severe. Things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mX7LqBGo4...deserve a full season suspension. The god damn hammer of justice needs to come down on you, and hard. In a sport where concussions will continue to be a huge topic of discussion, they need to address things like that more severely. Now, here's the issue with that, though. It can't just HAPPEN. Yay, unions. The NHLPA will keep major progress from happening in that area for quite some time. The NHL really has their hands tied by the union. Fuckin' unions.

4) I agree that we need some rule changes. SV% has been trending pretty much straight upward since they started keeping track of that stat. At this point, the average save % is .914%. That's absurd. It needs to be back down toward .9 as the average. Are bigger nets and smaller pads the answer? I don't know. The problem with smaller nets is that goalies will argue that they'll be injured more, or more susceptible to injury, which totally goes against the mentality for #3, that we want the game safer. Is bigger ice and even smaller neutral zones the answer? That's a way more expensive change than bigger nets, so doubtful. It's an interesting discussion though.

5) I honestly don't know what you're saying here.

lockman21 04-06-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15898212)
oh me? im nobody.
ill start expressing my opinions once the team i root for wins a playoff seriers.

:lol:lol:lol

RiotAct 04-06-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15898215)
5) I honestly don't know what you're saying here.

There needs to be fresh, young, and maybe even American faces running things.

hailtopitt 04-06-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15898215)
1) I hate this way too much, and so does the NHL. They're expanding, and soon, so this is a silly thing you should probably get over quickly. The idea that there are cities that will "never care about hockey" is so shortsighted it's sickening. Hockey is a fantastic sport, and the only way to grow it is to keep pushing it in markets where it's not popular. You know how to guarantee those markets will never care about hockey? Abandon them. If you just focus on cities where hockey is successful, you can guarantee yourself that it will always remain a niche sport. Progress isn't made from decisions like this. I want to see as many people all over the country fall in love with this great game...I really can't express into words how much I hate that last statement in #1 here..

1. i never said i wasn't over it. i know expansion is coming. all i did was lay out what i thought was wrong with the league, and this is one big thing for me.

Bolded: i think this is a little off base. They pushed hockey on people in Atlanta TWICE and both times the team had to relocate. you're telling me that by putting a 3rd team in Atlanta we can finally get them on board? hell no. NBA basketball will never catch on in pittsburgh, but that's not stopping the NBA from being a mainstream league. they have teams in all the right markets and have never really forced it down people's throats. The NBA has a similar draft lottery and schedule as the NHL, has the same amount of teams, and the same length of playoffs. why is the NBA so much bigger? Because A) they cater to the superstars B) they keep teams in markets that will sell tickets and actually be interested.

the TV contract helps the NBA get more exposure, that's about all they have over the NHL. everything else, the NHL only has itself to blame

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 15898219)

Rebecca De Mornay 04-06-2015 11:01 AM

why are you so concerned with the NHL getting bigger? I like the fact that it's a niche sport and that not every d-bag i run into has a shitty opinion on hockey that he just regurgiates from ESPN. even better, when you talk to someone who does like hockey they are typically a more educated fan than their equivalent in most sports, typically have some experience playing in the past, it's a cool conversation.

the masses in this country are really not right about much. popular music sucks, popular film sucks. Basically if you're advocating they create a product that caters to that group you're dead wrong.

hailtopitt 04-06-2015 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15898244)
why are you so concerned with the NHL getting bigger? I like the fact that it's a niche sport and that not every d-bag i run into has a shitty opinion on hockey that he just regurgiates from ESPN. even better, when you talk to someone who does like hockey they are typically a more educated fan than their equivalent in most sports, typically have some experience playing in the past, it's a cool conversation.

the masses in this country are really not right about much. popular music sucks, popular film sucks. Basically if you're advocating they create a product that caters to that group you're dead wrong.

i'm not so much pushing for it to get bigger, but to just be a better product overall. it's a shitty league. great sport, shitty league.

usually a better quality product results in growth and added popularity. i'd be ok with idiot bandwagoners and ESPN regurgitators if it meant the NHL joined the 21st century.

garage league needs to stop

Rebecca De Mornay 04-06-2015 11:07 AM

the more i think about this the less sense it makes to me.

catering to superstars is literally the problem in every other sport and you're advocating for that in the NHL basically because you think Crosby gets beat up too often, that's actually incredible to me that a human being could have that thought process.

Any good sports city can support an NHL team as long as there is parity in the league and so on. The biggest problem for the NBA is that outside of New York, Chicago, LA, Miami etc. you can't get a superstar to come to your team. The only reason the NBA does well is because they have a big fat TV deal with ESPN, which does rely on marketing to superstars but that is not at all what would make hockey better.

hailtopitt 04-06-2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15898250)
the more i think about this the less sense it makes to me.

catering to superstars is literally the problem in every other sport and you're advocating for that in the NHL basically because you think Crosby gets beat up too often, that's actually incredible to me that a human being could have that thought process.

Any good sports city can support an NHL team as long as there is parity in the league and so on. The biggest problem for the NBA is that outside of New York, Chicago, LA, Miami etc. you can't get a superstar to come to your team. The only reason the NBA does well is because they have a big fat TV deal with ESPN, which does rely on marketing to superstars but that is not at all what would make hockey better.

the bolded couldn't be more wrong, man

hailtopitt 04-06-2015 11:09 AM

so i guess Atlanta isn't a good sports city then since no hockey? Pittsburgh a bad sports city because no basketball? Cleveland a bad sports city cause no hockey? Kansas City a bad sports city because only football and baseball?

c'mon man

fonzz41 04-06-2015 11:10 AM

Like I said before, I'm not really on board for the NHL expanding, but I'm all for hockey expanding in the U.S. And yeah, I have to admit that having a local NHL team (with the right players) in non-traditional markets helps do that. I mean, it's undeniable the impact Gretzky playing for the Kings has had on youth hockey in California. Hell, the whole of the Western U.S.

But again, it was Gretzky playing for the Kings that provided the right spark. Not just the Kings themselves. Usually a team isn't enough, there has to be a figurehead or two.

Regardless, if more and more kids are trying out hockey and seeing how valuable of a sport it is, I feel inclined to support it.

hailtopitt 04-06-2015 11:10 AM

Becca thinks the NFL's main problem is that they cater to the Bradys & Mannings of the world?!?

unbelievable

yea, the NFL is really suffering because of that...

Rebecca De Mornay 04-06-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15898251)
the bolded couldn't be more wrong, man

you are actually saying that you'd trade revenue for the league (which benefits you in absolutely no way) to completely sacrifice what this game was built from?

in no way does throwing a flag every time brady gets touched benefit the actual game of football, it protects the NFL's TV dollars.

Same for NBA superstars and calling travels etc.

The thing that I perhaps enjoy most about hockey is that it takes a team to win. It's the one sport where your best players only play a 1/3 of the game and you're suggesting they should somehow change that.

that's amazing to me.

~Crashintome89~ 04-06-2015 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15898212)
oh me? im nobody.

:lol:lol:lol

love ya bud. :thumbsup

Rebecca De Mornay 04-06-2015 11:19 AM

brady and manning are good for the NFL because they're both generational talents.

They didn't need to be treated differently on the field, the NFL product aboslutely suffers when that happens, that's just not how sports should be, that is theater. And I'm not talking about ratings, for the last time I dont care about ratings, there is 0 benefit to me when the NFL makes more money. The amazing thing about a great player is that they're so much better than everyone else facing the same circumstances. Im actually in disbelief you're suggesting otherwise. Go watch professional wrestling and moster trucks if that's what you want.

~Crashintome89~ 04-06-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15898187)

it's just so comical how much the Flyers are in the Pen's heads. Look no further than Chris Kunitz winding up a slapshot at an empty net on a delayed penalty.

hailtopitt 04-06-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15898260)
you are actually saying that you'd trade revenue for the league (which benefits you in absolutely no way) to completely sacrifice what this game was built from?

in no way does throwing a flag every time brady gets touched benefit the actual game of football, it protects the NFL's TV dollars.

Same for NBA superstars and calling travels etc.

The thing that I perhaps enjoy most about hockey is that it takes a team to win. It's the one sport where your best players only play a 1/3 of the game and you're suggesting they should somehow change that.

that's amazing to me.

the product that the NFL is putting on the field every year is so good. and guess what? it looks a little different than football in the 1940's doesn't it? you know why? because its not 1940, its 2015...the NHL should realize that too

you like hockey because of its roots and blah blah blah...yea, i love the history of hockey. from an exhibition at buckingham palace, to hurley on the long pond to McGill University, but things change.

i also love that it takes a whole team to win. but as i said before, a 4th line grinder should not be equal to Jonathan Toews. he just shouldn't. opening the game for more scoring, more PPs and less obstruction will highlight your top-end talent and will not devalue your checking and grinding lines. not sure why this is hard to understand.

hailtopitt 04-06-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15898266)
brady and manning are good for the NFL because they're both generational talents.

They didn't need to be treated differently on the field, the NFL product aboslutely suffers when that happens, that's just not how sports should be, that is theater. And I'm not talking about ratings, for the last time I dont care about ratings, there is 0 benefit to me when the NFL makes more money. The amazing thing about a great player is that they're so much better than everyone else facing the same circumstances. Im actually in disbelief you're suggesting otherwise. Go watch professional wrestling and moster trucks if that's what you want.

:lol

Crosby is still the best player, and highest scorer in the league, and he's facing the same circumstances as everyone else, right? ok great, but instead of having scoring be SOOOO bad that he wins the Art Ross with 82 points, he wins the Art Ross with 130 points and scoring is up for everyone. not just the fucking penguins. common sense dude

~Crashintome89~ 04-06-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15898254)
Pittsburgh a bad sports city because no basketball?

No, Pittsburgh is a bad sports city because it's Pittsburgh.

Rebecca De Mornay 04-06-2015 11:23 AM

i am going to stop this conversation because i have to get actual work done.

also, it's not going anywhere anyways. wasn't it just last week you were whining about how crosby gets mugged every night? i have to assume that is clouding your judgement because this is mind blowing to me otherwise.

hailtopitt 04-06-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15898280)
No, Pittsburgh is a bad sports city because it's Pittsburgh.

man, didn't see that one coming :rolleyes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15898281)
i am going to stop this conversation because i have to get actual work done.

also, it's not going anywhere anyways. wasn't it just last week you were whining about how crosby gets mugged every night? i have to assume that is clouding your judgement because this is mind blowing to me otherwise.

whenever you can't find a way to sustain a conversation you just say "Crosby, pittsburgh, whining" and fucking melt all over the place

you're harder to watch than the actual penguins right now

lockman21 04-06-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 15898219)

ha-ha

I meant why that matters in the first place. I don't get it.

hailtopitt 04-06-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15898286)
ha-ha

I meant why that matters in the first place. I don't get it.

read my whole #5 again, then

Those old-timer Canadians are the people who are keeping it a garage league and are keeping the game in the 1970's

i think the NHL needs a more forward-looking, progressive, americanized approach to how the league operates

again, i'm not saying fuck Canada, i'm saying the league would benefit from fresh, young perspectives. thats something they haven't had in a long time, if ever

fonzz41 04-06-2015 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15898290)
again, i'm not saying fuck Canada, i'm saying the league would benefit from fresh, young perspectives. thats something they haven't had in a long time, if ever

PS - Bettman still won't return my calls. About anything.

hailtopitt 04-06-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15898295)

:lol:lol

~Crashintome89~ 04-06-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15898285)
man, didn't see that one coming :rolleyes

thats why I'm here, bro.

salrx95 04-06-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15898295)

try not calling every single day.

fonzz41 04-06-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15898302)
try not calling every single day.

Noted. Not being persistent enough?

I'll just show up to the NHL offices next Monday, dressed and ready to work.

aclark0622 04-06-2015 05:00 PM

The expansion of hockey is a great thing, the expansion of the NHL into markets it has no business being in is a problem for the league, and with that H2P has a point.

Opening the game up for the "stars", however, doesn't interest me. A great defense and especially great goaltending is just as exiting to watch as a great offense.

But I still would rather call it a tie than take it to a shootout, so what do I know.