Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Roose13 10-09-2017 10:32 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (Penns are garage league champs)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16905533)
Pleased with a 2-1 result in the three Cali games to start the season. Tough one in Smashville tomorrow. Maybe we can borrow Matt Murray for a game?

Flyers open seven of their first nine or nine of their first 11 (I forget off the top of my head) against last year's playoff teams. I'll be happy being above .500 through that span, but with the way they looked so far, I want a strong record coming out of the gate. The offense is capable.

Brandon Manning sucks horribly.

dmbetc 10-09-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16905543)
Also doubt any of you are following the Nathan Walker story, but here's a neat little piece on the story of the Aussie hero: https://www.nhl.com/news/nathan-walk...er/c-291738704

Why would you doubt that? It's an awesome story and he's a hot Australian :hump

TMoore4075 10-09-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumlee67 (Post 16905560)
Ya I don't get his end game here either. Really seems to be screwing up his pro career.

One of his complaints is playing time last year which he's 100% right but again...not playing at all now. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. With the Dec 1st deadline of RFA's needing to sign or not play, wonder if he'll cave before then or sit out the year.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16905580)
Why would you doubt that? It's an awesome story and he's a hot Australian :hump

Someone took over Sarah's account.

dmbetc 10-09-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16905584)
Someone took over Sarah's account.

:lol

this is the best Monday ever, with hockey on at work!

~Crashintome89~ 10-09-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16905571)
Flyers open seven of their first nine or nine of their first 11 (I forget off the top of my head) against last year's playoff teams. I'll be happy being above .500 through that span, but with the way they looked so far, I want a strong record coming out of the gate. The offense is capable.

Brandon Manning sucks horribly.

Yeah, say what you will about MacDonald and the strings attached to him, but Manning is nothing more than a bottom-pairing physical defenseman. He's easily replacable(*cough* Morin *cough*).

Roose13 10-09-2017 11:41 AM

There is no reason the Flyers, with eight defensemen on their roster right now, should have Manning in the lineup. Ghost, Gudas and Provorov are locks, and the other three should be Sanheim, Hagg and Morin until they want to send one back down. I know MacDonald is an alternate captain and a veteran, but you can't have one, let alone two, of those young guys sitting each night.

Chumlee67 10-09-2017 12:07 PM

Rask just made one of the worse decisions I've ever seen him make. Terrible choice down two goals.

Chumlee67 10-09-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16905584)
One of his complaints is playing time last year which he's 100% right but again...not playing at all now. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. With the Dec 1st deadline of RFA's needing to sign or not play, wonder if he'll cave before then or sit out the year.

I agree about his playing time. If he's smart he will cave before the deadline.

dmbetc 10-09-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumlee67 (Post 16905716)
Rask just made one of the worse decisions I've ever seen him make. Terrible choice down two goals.

Yikes, yeah that was a bad decision...down 2 goals or not

TMoore4075 10-09-2017 12:28 PM

Kinda happy the Wings aren't on midday cause I wouldn't be able to watch. Hoping they get good road trip this week though. Dallas, Arizona and Vegas are all winnable games the way they've played so far. Who would have thought Vegas might be the toughest of the 3.

barbogast 10-09-2017 01:01 PM

Sarah - thank you for TJ Oshie. You are the best. My Caps 6-pack is now complete!

lockman21 10-09-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16905318)
Athanasi-who? Seriously fuck this guy. He must really not want to be here because he's not getting paid and not playing. KHL deal is off the table so he's just skating with a Swiss team. Wings aren't budging off of their 2 year deal at 1.9mil per nor should they. He's only hurting himself, especially with the Wings starting off like this and some of the kids playing well.

I will never, ever fault a guy for trying to get paid.

Lcsulla 10-09-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16905595)
:lol

this is the best Monday ever, with hockey on at work!

Did you see the damn shooting clinic Tarasenko put on against NYI? Damn that kid is something else! 2 goals in the second and the game winner in the shootout. Kid is money!

dmbetc 10-09-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16905875)
Did you see the damn shooting clinic Tarasenko put on against NYI? Damn that kid is something else! 2 goals in the second and the game winner in the shootout. Kid is money!

That backhand goal was tasty

dmbetc 10-09-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16905809)
Sarah - thank you for TJ Oshie. You are the best. My Caps 6-pack is now complete!

You're welcome, I look forward to you kicking my butt this week

barbogast 10-09-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16905921)
You're welcome, I look forward to you kicking my butt this week

I’m working hard at it!

Dramageek 10-09-2017 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all! The Pennns are off to an iffy start (that 10-1 game against the Hawks. Woof). But I'll take 4-0 against the Preds! Hope everyone's enjoying the start of the season! Just wanted to let you know this happened!

Lcsulla 10-09-2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumlee67 (Post 16904270)
I gotta say, I am not a fan of the slashing calls now. Probably biased because the Bruins got called for a lot of them last night, but man were they just bad. Any stick remotely near the hand of the puck carrier got called.

Yeah, they are overdoing it a bit IMO - I figured the frequency would slow down once the regular season started but they have not. The new faceoff rule is even more annoying to me - they are just pitching guys left and right to the point of absurdity.

Chumlee67 10-09-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16906159)
Yeah, they are overdoing it a bit IMO - I figured the frequency would slow down once the regular season started but they have not. The new faceoff rule is even more annoying to me - they are just pitching guys left and right to the point of absurdity.

100% agree. I was at the Bruins opener and watched today's game. I gotta say it is way more infuriating in person, I don't know why, maybe because I was way more engaged, but it really made the pace of play seem to slow down.

dmbetc 10-09-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16906096)
Hey all! The Pennns are off to an iffy start (that 10-1 game against the Hawks. Woof). But I'll take 4-0 against the Preds! Hope everyone's enjoying the start of the season! Just wanted to let you know this happened!

You had your first adult beverage? Congratulations!

No really, congratulations :)

Lcsulla 10-09-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumlee67 (Post 16906165)
100% agree. I was at the Bruins opener and watched today's game. I gotta say it is way more infuriating in person, I don't know why, maybe because I was way more engaged, but it really made the pace of play seem to slow down.

Yeah, some of the new rules make no sense at all. Cracking down on slashing I get but sometimes they are calling things a slash when it is just inadvertent contact that would never have been called in the past. The faceoff one is even more annoying because it slows the game down so much and at certain points if say you are shorthanded you end up with a defenseman taking the draw. I also do not agree that a failed challenge should result in a bench minor nor do I like the rule that a coach cannot use a timeout after an icing. They are reinventing the wheel on some things and it is getting sort of annoying to see the impact it has on games that actually count because I do not think many of us gave a damn about the extra slash calls or the faceoff tosses during pre-season but some of the refs have just not slowed down that pace but are actually slowing down the game with their interpretations.

Dramageek 10-09-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16906167)

Haha, I look young enough, but I'm older than I look! Seriously though, thanks!

barbogast 10-09-2017 07:36 PM

Congrats bud

kev87lads 10-09-2017 07:54 PM

Congrats bud! We look forward to your next wedding pic next fall. (Back to back is what you guys do, yes?) #amiplayingthisgameright? #askmatty #he’llknow

dmbetc 10-09-2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16906205)
Congrats bud! We look forward to your next wedding pic next fall. (Back to back is what you guys do, yes?) #amiplayingthisgameright? #askmatty #he’llknow

:lol:lol

TMoore4075 10-10-2017 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16905823)
I will never, ever fault a guy for trying to get paid.

Sure but he' failing at that right now. He thought the Wings would cave when he had a KHL offer on the table and they didn't. If he's looking to get paid he either needs sign the Wings deal (they aren't gonna budge) or hope the Swiss team he's practicing with gives him a contract. Even if he signs the deal worth 1.9 per for the Wings, it won't be worth that this year because it'll be prorated. So while "trying to get paid" he is literally losing money by the day after already getting his $3mil deal from the KHL pulled off the table by the club. If his goal is trying to get paid, him and his agent are doing a really shitty job of it. Wings weren't and aren't gonna cave for 2 reasons and those are named Larkin and Mantha.

TMoore4075 10-10-2017 05:05 AM

And about last night, fuck you Hawks and Caps for not being able to win those games. lol And wow Oilers..the Jets? Really?

Roose13 10-10-2017 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16906096)

Man, you really do look like a geek :lol:lol

Congrats man! I'll be positing a similar pic in little over four months as well!

Roose13 10-10-2017 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16906167)

:lol:lol:lol

swordo84 10-10-2017 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16906263)
And about last night, fuck you Hawks and Caps for not being able to win those games. lol And wow Oilers..the Jets? Really?

:( :(

A most disappointing start to the season. I know it's early but I just hope they don't dig themselves a hole too big to get out of over the next couple of months.