Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Brohan_Santana 09-25-2017 11:27 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (Penns are garage league champs)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16893041)
I agree, i just think it was one of these situations where they were damned if they do and damned if they don't things. Also, the optics of releasing the statement yesterday was a poor decision. It had already been confirmed months ago by Burkle they'd go. Just draws unneccessary attention imo.

Whatever attention there was is no longer. The Steelers took care of that yesterday

TheLastPig 09-25-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16893252)
Whatever attention there was is no longer. The Steelers took care of that yesterday

Not really.

When they go and Trump uses them as a political pawn with them standing in the background its gonna look bad.

bradshaw06 09-25-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16893352)
Not really.

When they go and Trump uses them as a political pawn with them standing in the background its gonna look bad.

Yea he tweeted about them already. It just screamed 'give us attention too' to me.

Dramageek 09-25-2017 04:45 PM

Hey all. I haven't been around these parts much lately what with my pending nuptials. The Pennnns raise the banner Oct. 4 and I get hitched Oct. 7. Gonna be a great week!

1. People hating on Mike Lange? C'mon now. He's classier than any of us will ever be, and I can see the game perfectly listening to his calls. Yeah, he's long in the tooth these days, and likely will retire soon, but I love him still. The free online broadcasts with him and the Old 29er got me through law school in Michigan.

2. The Pennns and the White House visit. Eh, I figured they go. I doubt Trump knows what hockey is. I don't mind the tradition. It should be a relatively apolitical thing where the President takes a light morning to recognize the latest professional sport ball champion. If someone really doesn't want to go, well, remember Tim Thomas? Either way, I hope Trump asks Geno about how great Putin is. :lol

3. Jamie's not up to date on the latest pop culture? I see everything is as it should be in here! :lol

Lcsulla 09-25-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16893022)
Do you live under a rock? The new movie just came out like two weeks ago :lol:lol

Just not much of a movie fan and certainly not in that genre. If a movie comes out that I actually want to see I will just wait for it to pop up on Kodi or wait for the DVD. :)

lockman21 09-25-2017 08:54 PM

I have no problem with the Pwns going, but the statement was completely unnecessary. In fact, it seems tasteless.

lockman21 09-25-2017 10:02 PM

*Pens

God damn cell phones.

~Crashintome89~ 09-26-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16893739)
I have no problem with the Pwns going, but the statement was completely unnecessary. In fact, it seems tasteless.

The thing is though, Trump is definitely going to take unneccessary shots at the NBA and NFL during this ceremony and the Pens are going to look awful again.

lockman21 09-26-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16893975)
The thing is though, Trump is definitely going to take unneccessary shots at the NBA and NFL during this ceremony and the Pens are going to look awful again.

Yeah, agreed.

Check out Bob, the greatest:

https://twitter.com/TheFlintor/statu...73691493191680

Roose13 09-26-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16893755)
*Pens

God damn cell phones.

Who still says pwns in 2017? Go back to playing Halo, nerd.

bradshaw06 09-26-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16893739)

Agreed. Shame because the penguins had done such a great job building a good image

barbogast 09-26-2017 09:42 AM

The timing of the statement definitely seems tasteless. But I also don’t care if they go, and I agree with the idea that they’re kind of in a no win situation. People will be upset either way. But yeah the timing of the statement was way off.

lockman21 09-26-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16894382)
The timing of the statement definitely seems tasteless. But I also don’t care if they go, and I agree with the idea that they’re kind of in a no win situation. People will be upset either way. But yeah the timing of the statement was way off.

WAY off. If they're gonna go, just quietly go. No need to do that.

Lcsulla 09-26-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16893975)

I don't see it that way at all. In fact I see it as a smart move by Pittsburgh, especially after the Steelers nonsense on Sunday. It is sort of saying "Hey, we are the good guys from this city.' Also makes the NHL good and will possibly add new fans who are sick of the political shenanigans being orchestrated by 'oppressed' (millionaires no less) sissies in the nba and nfl.

barbogast 09-26-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16895085)
I don't see it that way at all. In fact I see it as a smart move by Pittsburgh, especially after the Steelers nonsense on Sunday. It is sort of saying "Hey, we are the good guys from this city.' Also makes the NHL good and will possibly add new fans who are sick of the political shenanigans being orchestrated by 'oppressed' (millionaires no less) sissies in the nba and nfl.

Yikes. This is a terrible take.

Lcsulla 09-26-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16895160)
Yikes. This is a terrible take.

To each their own my friend! Cheers Barbs! :)

aeroshady 09-27-2017 05:18 AM

So what is the deal with the draft for fantasy?

TMoore4075 09-27-2017 06:45 AM

We celebrate this shit but it's scary when you hear him talk about the experience.

https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/913029540917727233

Roose13 09-27-2017 07:23 AM

Scott Stevens was such a murderer on the ice. Hated him so much when he played the Flyers, but man it was with respect too. Same way a lot of people hate Chris Pronger.

Lcsulla 09-27-2017 07:25 AM

Looking FWD to tomorrow and watching the hawks/wing - mainly to see what they have replaced the Joe with. I am a tad sentimental when it comes to historic stadiums and such so I am curious what they replaced it with, I am sure it will have more modern conveniences and such but will it have that same atmosphere? Yes I know it is pre-season but I expect a level of energy in that crowd that will not be like say Boston or Columbus that I have seen, well - boring road crowds.

Dramageek 09-27-2017 07:34 AM

So apparently NBC Sports is replacing Eddie Olczyk (speedy recovery, Edzo!) as on-air color commentator with....Mike Milbury?!!?!?!? :lol :lol :lorraine:lorraine I'm going to have to watch games on mute.

TMoore4075 09-27-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16895671)
Looking FWD to tomorrow and watching the hawks/wing - mainly to see what they have replaced the Joe with. I am a tad sentimental when it comes to historic stadiums and such so I am curious what they replaced it with, I am sure it will have more modern conveniences and such but will it have that same atmosphere? Yes I know it is pre-season but I expect a level of energy in that crowd that will not be like say Boston or Columbus that I have seen, well - boring road crowds.

Just wait till next Thursday for the home opener, it's on NBCSN. That'll give you a better idea of the crowd. I watched the first period of the game Saturday and it was like half full. I've said it 100x already I loved The Joe for the atmosphere but this place is so much nicer on so many levels.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16895685)
So apparently NBC Sports is replacing Eddie Olczyk (speedy recovery, Edzo!) as on-air color commentator with....Mike Milbury?!!?!?!? :lol :lol :lorraine:lorraine I'm going to have to watch games on mute.

I saw this earlier. Milbury...really? No one else is available? I mean Eddie can do it while being the Hawks guy but no other color guy from the other 30 NHL teams can't find time ahead of Milbury? Anyone....anyone!?

jrkarger 09-27-2017 07:51 AM

Quote:

Goodness does that sound awful.

Remember the good ole days (pre-HD and set-top boxes) when the TV and radio synced up?

Muting TV and put on Mike Lange (or Myron Cope in the case of the Steelers) was one of the yinzerest of yinzer things you could do and it was glorious.

~Crashintome89~ 09-27-2017 07:53 AM

I bet Milbury lasts like ten games.

Dramageek 09-27-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16895708)
Goodness does that sound awful.

Remember the good ole days (pre-HD and set-top boxes) when the TV and radio synced up?

Muting TV and put on Mike Lange (or Myron Cope in the case of the Steelers) was one of the yinzerest of yinzer things you could do and it was glorious.

I'm not ashamed to admit I did that. It was indeed glorious. I guess with DVR it is possible to pause the broadcast to sync it with the radio, but that is too tedious for me.

Ten games sounds generous. But since the NHL doesn't want nice things, he'll stick around for the whole season and playoffs.

dmbetc 09-27-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16895477)
So what is the deal with the draft for fantasy?

Right now it’s set for Monday 10/2 at 8pm est

Lcsulla 09-27-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16895699)
Just wait till next Thursday for the home opener, it's on NBCSN. That'll give you a better idea of the crowd. I watched the first period of the game Saturday and it was like half full. I've said it 100x already I loved The Joe for the atmosphere but this place is so much nicer on so many levels.

I saw this earlier. Milbury...really? No one else is available? I mean Eddie can do it while being the Hawks guy but no other color guy from the other 30 NHL teams can't find time ahead of Milbury? Anyone....anyone!?

Absolutely, I am thrilled to see how the crowd there will be for the home opener! Definitely planning on watching that one.

Regarding Milbury - I was under the impression that it would be Steve Conroy and Doc Emrick, that is how the Hawks games have been playing it up, that Conroy would be filling in until Eddie O was well enough to return.

fonzz41 09-27-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16895597)
We celebrate this shit but it's scary when you hear him talk about the experience.

https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/913029540917727233

One of my favorite Joe Sakic memories is during the '01 Cup Finals where Sakic threw a rare hit on Stevens behind the net, then proceeded a little later to score a goal through his legs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16895759)
Right now it’s set for Monday 10/2 at 8pm est

I don't know if I've taken the time to say thanks for organizing all of this, Sarah. Very much appreciated!

TheLastPig 09-27-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

who green lights this stuff? :BANG

bradshaw06 09-27-2017 08:50 AM

Milbury is awful.