Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 05-11-2017 06:49 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16787115)
Barbs, really sorry for you man. Nothing else I can say that will help.

I am rooting hard for the Preds the rest of the way. That city loves that team and I would like to see someone new win the Cup this year. I have had a feeling all playoffs long that the Pens would repeat though.

I'm for the Preds so then Subban can rub it in the Habs faces but again for Anderson and the Sens cause what a story. Would be the worst matchup for ratings but...best for stories. But I don't give a shit about the ratings cause ratings only indicate if your average fans are watching and average fans get psyched about watching the same teams in the NBA finals for 3 straight years. They aren't the best barometer

aeroshady 05-11-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16787015)
I know you are used to it Barbs but sorry for the loss.

Sorry for the loss , too, to you Rag$ fans, though clearly us Isle fans were rejoicing through text messages shortly after.

:lol It is all good man. Still makes you less annoying than my friends who are Devils fans. They are probably the worst fans I know because they are both obnoxious and don't know much about the sport.

TMoore4075 05-11-2017 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16787125)
:lol It is all good man. Still makes you less annoying than my friends who are Devils fans. They are probably the worst fans I know because they are both obnoxious and don't know much about the sport.

Move them back to Kansas City....

jrkarger 05-11-2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16787115)
:thumbsup

100% This.

Both games last night went to opposite way of what I was rooting for. I feel bad for both fan bases, but especially bad for the Caps fans since their window is shutting just like ours. The Oilers window is just beginning to open, so I feel less bad for them.

Barbs, really sorry for you man. Nothing else I can say that will help.

I am rooting hard for the Preds the rest of the way. That city loves that team and I would like to see someone new win the Cup this year. I have had a feeling all playoffs long that the Pens would repeat though.

I really wanted to Oilers to win too. It just feels like old time hockey when the Oilers are good and making noise. Plus the potential of having sid and mcdavid on the ice during the SCF was too juicy.

Between the DUcks and Preds I hope the Ducks win. Although Pens (if they pull it out) & Preds would be some solid hockey.

TheLastPig 05-11-2017 06:56 AM

Jason Botterill new GM in buffalo

jrkarger 05-11-2017 06:58 AM

I read online somewhere that the rumor was Tocchet in the running for BUF's head coach position too.

TheLastPig 05-11-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16787120)
For the record, I will not wear said sweatshirt for the remainder of the playoffs. :p

Ive worn my Letang jersey for 9 games these playoffs... Pens are 8-1, only loss was game 5. 0-3 when I was wearing anything else.

When I got home last night and took it off the fiancee asked if it needed washed (it does, badly), I said yes, then realized what I was saying and said no :lol

barbogast 05-11-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16787113)
I said it last night, when they went down 1-0 and then MAF made that huge save late in the 2nd, it was done. How much of this for this franchise is mental?

A lot of it. Like just about all of it. Last night was 100% mental.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16787122)
If Oshie and Williams or whoever have great games and Caps win, there wouldn't be much talk about Ovie today.

This is a fair point.

TheLastPig 05-11-2017 07:02 AM

I will never root for the ducks until they change away from those awful colors. Not a likable team either.

With that said, if the Pens make it to the cup against them it probably doesnt bode well that John Gibson, who is a pittsburgh kid, is 0-4 in Pittsburgh and I believe he was pulled in 3 of those games, at least 2 for sure.

jrkarger 05-11-2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16787140)
Ive worn my Letang jersey for 9 games these playoffs... Pens are 8-1, only loss was game 5. 0-3 when I was wearing anything else.

When I got home last night and took it off the fiancee asked if it needed washed (it does, badly), I said yes, then realized what I was saying and said no :lol

:lol

I do the same thing with my Steelers jerseys too :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16787143)
I will never root for the ducks until they change away from those awful colors. Not a likable team either.

With that said, if the Pens make it to the cup against them it probably doesnt bode well that John Gibson, who is a pittsburgh kid, is 0-4 in Pittsburgh and I believe he was pulled in 3 of those games, at least 2 for sure.

That's why I want the Ducks to win. I think it would be an easier potential matchup for the Pens. The Preds are scary good right now.

swordo84 05-11-2017 07:03 AM

Cheering for Pitt and Nash in the conference finals.

TMoore4075 05-11-2017 07:06 AM

Quote:

With you here. Getzlaf and Perry are big douches.

MOWJO8185 05-11-2017 07:08 AM

Well, of the 3 series I had a rooting interest, none of them won (Blues, Oilers, Caps). Of course, I was only rooting against the Preds because I'm a Blues fan, would probably like to see them go the distance now, they are a fun team.

~Crashintome89~ 05-11-2017 07:22 AM

The game was over almost immediately after it was 2-0. That was a horrendous goal to give up by Holtby.

barbogast 05-11-2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16787172)
The game was over almost immediately after it was 2-0. That was a horrendous goal to give up by Holtby.

Yeah, this. It was done.

TMoore4075 05-11-2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16787179)
Yeah, this. It was done.

I was watching old game 7 stuff and it was just like Dominic Moore's goal that made it 2-0 in game 7 Caps vs Habs in 2010.

Roose13 05-11-2017 07:35 AM

Speaking of bad goals, how awful do you think Cam Talbot must feel after that go-ahead goal squirted under his arm like that? Heart-breaking for sure. I was really pulling for Edmonton.

barbogast 05-11-2017 08:03 AM

https://twitter.com/ScottABC7/status/862500362024038400

Damn

TMoore4075 05-11-2017 08:05 AM

I'll take Backstrom here. Granted I'd rather have like Carlson or something to help out the D.

TheLastPig 05-11-2017 08:10 AM

weird that tweet says its from 7:51pm last night

barbogast 05-11-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16787214)
weird that tweet says its from 7:51pm last night

Yeah that is weird. I didn't notice that

Hmm

thedak 05-11-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Agreed.

I thought he was pulled from every game he started against us. haha

TheLastPig 05-11-2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16787219)
Yeah that is weird. I didn't notice that

Hmm

Looked on my phone says 10:51, not sure why it would show it as west coast time on that link. Odd.

fonzz41 05-11-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16787102)
:lol true

And seriously, I know there's more to a game than just what happens with one player or one play. I truly do get that. I just wish, so badly, that Ovechkin could've earned his huge moment last night in a game that mattered so much, like so many great players have done before him. I really do know that sports are the outcome of a magnitude of varying factors, but there are countless examples of huge players coming up huge. And I mean really huge. Like take the game over down 1-0 in the 3rd period of game 7 of the most important game of your decade-plus long professional career kind of huge. I just really wish that had've happened for him.

I think I'm the only left who hasn't offered his condolences. Sorry, bud. I was really rooting for the Caps. For you, and for our lord and savior Barry Trotz. Summer league hockey started last night, so I was busy getting my own booty whooped.

I get what you're saying about there being that one player on each Cup-winning team. Yes, it takes a complete effort, no question, 100%. But on any Cup team, there's always that one guy (sometimes 2). The leader of the pack. For the Caps, for better or worse, that's Ovechkin. Too see him not become that guy, it's disappointing. He's got the skill, he's got the drive (buried down deep in there somewhere), he's just holding back for whatever reason. I don't even know if he knows how deep he can really dig. Hopefully he figures it out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16787095)
I mean Adam Foote never scored an OT goal and he's the greatest player ever.....

True statement.

Again, it's about elevating your game to match the situation. And Footer... he could do that. It didn't mean he scored a bunch of goals (:lol), but it did mean that he hit harder, skated faster, and beat guys bloodier (#garageleague) in front of the net. Rise to the occasion within your role on the team. And if your role on the team is to be the #1 star, you sure as hell better be that guy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16786989)
This is the worst conference final combination possible.

I don't understand this. I mean, I do from a ratings perspective (Preds and Sens... who are they?). But this is exciting stuff, man. Who would've guessed the Ducks (OK, maybe them), Preds, and Senators would be in the conference finals? And all of them playing good, exciting, hockey? I'm so excited to see some playoff hockey that doesn't include the damn Kings, Rangers, or Blackhawks. Would love it if there were no Pens either. No offense to y'all who are fans, it's just fun to see something different. New faces and teams who overcame odds and who we usually don't see playing in May. I'm really excited for these Conference Finals.

TMoore4075 05-11-2017 09:13 AM

[QUOTE=fonzz41;16787264

I don't understand this. I mean, I do from a ratings perspective (Preds and Sens... who are they?). But this is exciting stuff, man. Who would've guessed the Ducks (OK, maybe them), Preds, and Senators would be in the conference finals? And all of them playing good, exciting, hockey? I'm so excited to see some playoff hockey that doesn't include the damn Kings, Rangers, or Blackhawks. Would love it if there were no Pens either. No offense to y'all who are fans, it's just fun to see something different. New faces and teams who overcame odds and who we usually don't see playing in May. I'm really excited for these Conference Finals.[/QUOTE]

This is my feeling. Now if either of these series, or the finals, ends up being boring then sure but looking at it right now I'm excited that we have a few teams that have never won a Cup in there. I mean you would have thought Wings and Flyers in 97 would have been a fantastic series and for Wings fans it was but other than that it was blah cause of a sweep. But going into the 03 finals you probably thought my god this will suck but that was one of the most fun series I've seen. A good series is a good series, regardless of who they are.

aeroshady 05-11-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16773846)
With that reviewed, on to my round 2 picks:

West:

St. Louis 2
Nashville 4

Both teams are coming off first round sweeps. The difference is that Nashville dominated games from top to bottom against the Hawks. The Blues got outplayed in almost every game but found a way to win all four games. Some may say that shows that the Blues are resilient, I say it shows the Blues are in for a rough round 2 against a hungry Nashville team.

Spot on for this series! Go PREDS! WIN THAT CUP!

Anaheim 4
Edmonton 1

Conner McDavid is a blast to watch and the Oilers were a great story in round 1. The Ducks made quick work of the Flames and swept their way to the second round. I just think the Ducks have everything in place to make a long run and lift the Cup this year. For that reason, I think the Ducks win in 5.

Pick the correct team, but didn't give the Oilers enough credit. I am looking forward to an all Canada Cup between the Oilers and Leafs soon!

West: 2-0 and 100% Correct!

East:

New York 4
Ottawa 2

Ottawa beat the Bruins in 6 games and made it to the second round for the first time since 2013. Erik Karlsson has been playing with hairline fractures in his left foot. That didn't stop him from logging crazy ice time and being great against the Bruins. Bobby Ryan and former Ranger Derick Brassard are having great playoffs so far and will be dangerous. The NY Rangers continued to be fantastic on the road and are now playing solid hockey at MSG as well. They took over their first round series once they replaced Tanner Glass with Pavel Buchnevich to inject speed to all 4 lines. Hank is on fire and Rick Nash is living up to his potential. Ottawa likes to play shutdown at the blue line hockey for low scoring games, but the Rangers have lived on one goal playoff games for the last 5 years. From top to bottom I feel like the Rangers are the better team. Anything can happen, but the Rangers should find their way past the Senators. Rangers in 6.

Well, I am shocked but not surprised. I stand by my series preview here and say the Rangers should have found their way past the Sens. They couldn't get out of their own way and lost a series in 6 that they probably should have won in 5. Classic. Window has to be shut on these guys now right?

Washington 3
Pittsburgh 4

The Penguins looked like men verse boys in the first round. They play like a Stanley Cup championship team. I really can't find much not to like about the product they have on the ice. They also showed why having two good goalies is a good thing heading into the playoffs. The loss of Letang might be felt more in round 2 against the top seed in the NHL in the Capitals. Meanwhile, Washington predictably had a bit of a scare early in the playoffs. They ran into the up-and-coming Leafs and were sent to OT more times than they (or their fans) would have liked. That said, Washington may have actually needed that first round to remind them how hard the NHL playoffs are. If they can build momentum off that series, they should be able to play with the Pens. Unfortunately, it concerns me that their players, some of which have admitted this, let the pressure get in their head. For that reason, I have to go with the team that has proven they know what it takes. Should be a great series, but Pens in 7.

Sorry Barbs and Caps fans, but unfortunately, I predicted this series on the nose. It literally played out exactly like my series preview predicted it would, and even ended in a crushing game 7 loss for the Caps. Pens are still my pick to repeat as Champs. Caps are in for some changes that could sound the end of their window fast approaching. Where does Ovie go from here? Anyone think he may cut and run to Russia?

East: 1-1 50% correct. Overall 3-1. Guess I learned never to pick your own team to move on.

Okay, good on my recap of round two, on to my picks for the ECF and WCF.

West:

Nashville 3
Anaheim 4

Nashville has been a great story and somewhat of a surprise all playoffs. They are a deep team with a great keeper to backstop them. They blew past Chicago in the first round, and made convincing work of the Blues in the second round. Anaheim looked very impressive in round one, but then ran into a hot Edmonton team that took them to the brink. The Ducks will need to answer some questions about how they started this series at home, as well as some games that they forgot to show up for. That said, I like the depth of the Ducks and I just feel they will find a way to push through into the finals. I think Ducks in 7.

East:

Ottawa 2
Pittsburgh 4

Well, Ottawa surprised us all by having more desire and determination to get it done then most of us thought they had. They were totally deserving of beating the Rangers in round two. Finding a way to beat a team that on paper is a favorite is what great teams do. Unfortunately, the Sens are about to run into the defending champs. The Rangers never showed the ability to dig deep and climb all the way to the top of the mountain. The same can't be said about a Pens team that has not only shown they can go all the way, but did it just last year. On top of that, they won an emotional round 2 against the top seed in the league after blowing a 3-1 series lead. That shows the Pens can always take it to that next level. Ottawa will challenge the Pens and I fully expect them to catch the Pens off their game every once in a while. For that reason, I think the Sens win a few games. In the end, it wont be enough. This Pittsburgh team is as real as they were last year. Pens in 6.

Please let me be wrong, because ugh at the thought of Pens v Ducks for the Cup. Although Ducks v Sens vol 2 ten years later would be even worse....

barbogast 05-11-2017 09:54 AM

https://www.russianmachineneverbreak...r-body-injury/

Apparently Ovechkin finished the playoffs on painkillers

fonzz41 05-11-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16787334)
https://www.russianmachineneverbreak...r-body-injury/

Apparently Ovechkin finished the playoffs on painkillers

Feels good, man.

aeroshady 05-11-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16787380)
Feels good, man.

I am not sure I understood this post. Did I miss something? :shrug

TMoore4075 05-11-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16787389)
I am not sure I understood this post. Did I miss something? :shrug

Maybe Matty was with one of his wives when he typed that.