Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

SmoothG 08-07-2020 11:42 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Oh my god Toronto!

Please!

Roose13 08-08-2020 12:07 AM

Wow, good for the Leafs!

Lcsulla 08-08-2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17764924)
Both 12 seeds advance. This is exactly the kind of chaos I was hoping for.

This 100% - it is nutty, add in the ending of the COL/TOR game and that was a really exciting day.

SmoothG 08-08-2020 12:15 AM

Nice. Probably still going to break my heart on Sunday but at least there's a chance.

SmoothG 08-08-2020 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17764924)
Both 12 seeds advance. This is exactly the kind of chaos I was hoping for.

We got the March madness we never had

Lcsulla 08-08-2020 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 17764905)
#freeconnor
At least I wonít waste more scarce summer hours watching disappointing hockey.

He is such an amazing player to watch, not a easy guy to defend. I think the Oilers need to get some defensive help but that experience probably benefits them in the long run as far as experience. They were doing a lot of puck watching in their end and seemed to forget Chicago had players not named Kane. Toews, Crawford, Keith and Kubalik stole that series. Oilers just did not seem to be clicking (that too many men penalty at 2:06 in the third crushed their hopes) - all that time off didn't help but in fairness every team looks a bit off. Hella fun series to watch though, so much offensive firepower on display that both teams D looked silly except Keith who is just some sort of freak still logging those hard minutes!

kev87lads 08-08-2020 12:44 AM

This will sound dumb. But I really feel like the Oilers lost the series tonight when Nurse took a dumb penalty when they had the five minute major PP. Killed the momentum of what had been a really good unit for the Oilers. Get a couple there and the game is totally different. There was no need for the penalty he took.

Lcsulla 08-08-2020 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17764959)
This will sound dumb. But I really feel like the Oilers lost the series tonight when Nurse took a dumb penalty when they had the five minute major PP. Killed the momentum of what had been a really good unit for the Oilers. Get a couple there and the game is totally different. There was no need for the penalty he took.

Agreed, that had to be tough - that dumb penalty Nurse took made it a little easier on the Hawks who seemed to be killing penalties the entire second period but that was vintage Crawford shutting the door along with some damn good PK work by the rest of the team. Biggest thing about Nurse's Penalty was it allowed Chicago to keep getting fresh guys out there.

Roose13 08-08-2020 01:17 PM

Knights/Avs - 3 p.m.
Flyers/Lightning - 8 p.m.

dmbetc 08-08-2020 01:33 PM

Feel bad for McDavid and Oilers fans.

Just goes to show why this Cup should have a huge * on it. I'm not complaining about watching hockey though. Yesterdays games were all awesome!

Roose13 08-08-2020 02:07 PM

There absolutely should NOT be an asterisk for the winner this season. Everyone is on level playing field. Just because the Oilers and Penguins decided to shit the bed before they likely would have under normal circumstances this year doesn't discredit whomever wins it this year.

~Crashintome89~ 08-08-2020 05:21 PM

I could care less about McDavid. If he really wanted to win, he would not have signed that contract extension.

Roose13 08-08-2020 05:41 PM

So you care a little?

TypicalBilly14 08-08-2020 06:27 PM

Go Bruins!!! Get your mojo back!

BotheLaneFan 08-08-2020 06:58 PM

1 seed Bay-Bay!

Lcsulla 08-08-2020 07:07 PM

I am actually happy Vegas won. I like the Hawks chances better against Vegas in a 7 game series than I do with Colorado.

BotheLaneFan 08-08-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17765161)
I am actually happy Vegas won. I like the Hawks chances better against Vegas in a 7 game series than I do with Colorado.

Havenít the Blackhawks only beaten the Golden Knights once...ever?

Lcsulla 08-08-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheLaneFan (Post 17765164)
Haven’t the Blackhawks only beaten the Golden Knights once...ever?

Yup, they are perpetually not great against Vegas for whatever reason but that is a small sample size. I am basing this solely on the matchups.

To be honest, I know the Hawks D has some holes and against the Oilers their PK played well above their norm so basically Vegas offense doesn't worry me as much as Colorado. I think they can shut down Vegas easier than they could Colorado. Irony is that I think CO will win that series but the D of the Yotes is going to drive them crazy.

Your defense is more solid than CO IMO and certainly better than Edmonton but this Hawks offense is peaking at the right time lead by guys like Toews and Kane and they are coming in waves with younger guys chipping in and a lot of pinching to add O. Despite the Vegas D I think 5 on 5 the Hawks can find ways to score both the gritty goals and those 'holy shit, how did he do that' type goals.

As for special teams, that is going to be a big factor for both teams as usual. AKA stay out of the damn box and draw penalties.

For goalies I think Crawford is the most under-rated goalie in the league with the ability to steal a series so I would stack him up against anyone right now. An X factor is Robin Lehner - the Hawks know his habits and tendencies as well as anyone considering he was on the Hawks from reseason until the deadline - that said he knows the Chicago players but since he left he lines have changed a lot..

In terms of physicality I expect to be out checked but that is pretty normal for me, that said in board battles muscling guys like Toews, Saad, Kane, Keith, etc, etc off the puck is a tough challenge for anyone.

Experience, Hawks have an advantage having so many guys who have won multiple cups and know what it takes to win playoff games, close out series and win cups.

The #1 seed really means squat at a neutral arena with no fans, the only real home ice benefit is last change and any fan knows that if you can't steal some games on the road you are not going to make a deep run.

Should be some great games, I am not saying I expect a big upset a la CBJ sweeping TB last season but I think this series will be tighter than then the seed numbers would have someone believe. This gets to a 6 or 7 game series and who knows how it plays out but I know it will be fun to watch.

Another thing to watch for is that Kane was not all that prominent in the Edmonton series, he wasn't scoring much but his skill kept Edmonton puck watching, using their best D men and top defensive forwards to shut him down but that opened u-p a lot of opportunities for other guys to get better matchups either 1 v 1 or the whole line. If Kane heats up this series gets a lot more interesting very quickly.

As for the regular season stats against Vegas, I think they aren't all that relevant. This is the postseason - both teams are rolling so something is gonna have to give. Gonna be fun to watch.

As for the east the idea that Philly could be the top seed is sickening to this former Whalers fan! :)

Cheers bro! Here's to a good series!

Roose13 08-08-2020 09:38 PM

Flyers up 1-0!

Hope Hedman is OK. Non-contact injuries are scary.

Lcsulla 08-08-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17765216)
Non-contact injuries are scary.

This. The most scary one I ever saw was not NHL I do not think - perhaps someone else recalls this from a few years ago. Play was in the other end and the goalie literally just collapsed while standing still. They just stopped the game (the players that is) then the refs blew it dead and the medical team got him off on a stretcher. That was scary, wish I could remember what league/team/game it was - no idea - just more of a youtube type video than an NHL replay.

Lcsulla 08-08-2020 10:48 PM

Flyers look damn sharp, most of the other teams have seemed just a little out of sync after the pause but so far tonight Philly has barely missed a beat. I am impressed.

kev87lads 08-09-2020 12:29 AM

How you luh dat?

Lcsulla 08-09-2020 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17765258)
How you luh dat?

Were you enquiring about my praise of how well the Flyers played through the round robin? I am very impressed with their play and sharpness. Most of the games I watch are in the Western Conference so I had not seen many Flyers games and they very much impressed me, I did not realize how good a team the built.

Antiramie 08-09-2020 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17765203)
Yup, they are perpetually not great against Vegas for whatever reason but that is a small sample size. I am basing this solely on the matchups.

To be honest, I know the Hawks D has some holes and against the Oilers their PK played well above their norm so basically Vegas offense doesn't worry me as much as Colorado. I think they can shut down Vegas easier than they could Colorado. Irony is that I think CO will win that series but the D of the Yotes is going to drive them crazy.

Your defense is more solid than CO IMO and certainly better than Edmonton but this Hawks offense is peaking at the right time lead by guys like Toews and Kane and they are coming in waves with younger guys chipping in and a lot of pinching to add O. Despite the Vegas D I think 5 on 5 the Hawks can find ways to score both the gritty goals and those 'holy shit, how did he do that' type goals.

As for special teams, that is going to be a big factor for both teams as usual. AKA stay out of the damn box and draw penalties.

For goalies I think Crawford is the most under-rated goalie in the league with the ability to steal a series so I would stack him up against anyone right now. An X factor is Robin Lehner - the Hawks know his habits and tendencies as well as anyone considering he was on the Hawks from reseason until the deadline - that said he knows the Chicago players but since he left he lines have changed a lot..

In terms of physicality I expect to be out checked but that is pretty normal for me, that said in board battles muscling guys like Toews, Saad, Kane, Keith, etc, etc off the puck is a tough challenge for anyone.

Experience, Hawks have an advantage having so many guys who have won multiple cups and know what it takes to win playoff games, close out series and win cups.

The #1 seed really means squat at a neutral arena with no fans, the only real home ice benefit is last change and any fan knows that if you can't steal some games on the road you are not going to make a deep run.

Should be some great games, I am not saying I expect a big upset a la CBJ sweeping TB last season but I think this series will be tighter than then the seed numbers would have someone believe. This gets to a 6 or 7 game series and who knows how it plays out but I know it will be fun to watch.

Another thing to watch for is that Kane was not all that prominent in the Edmonton series, he wasn't scoring much but his skill kept Edmonton puck watching, using their best D men and top defensive forwards to shut him down but that opened u-p a lot of opportunities for other guys to get better matchups either 1 v 1 or the whole line. If Kane heats up this series gets a lot more interesting very quickly.

As for the regular season stats against Vegas, I think they aren't all that relevant. This is the postseason - both teams are rolling so something is gonna have to give. Gonna be fun to watch.

As for the east the idea that Philly could be the top seed is sickening to this former Whalers fan! :)

Cheers bro! Here's to a good series!

I had Vegas winning it all going into the playoffs. Hawks might give them a scare, but I can't see them winning a 7 game series. Vegas is a really really good team. But you never know...

Props to the Flyers, but Hedman going down really hurt us. Hope his injury isn't long term, cause that would be devastating. Aside from the 10 min right after his injury where we collectively shit the bed, we actually played a solid game. Just couldn't get shots through, but we had a lot of zone time.

Crossing my fingers going forward. Good luck to all your teams (minus Boston and Wash).

Roose13 08-09-2020 10:21 AM

Lightning couldn't get shots through because the pucks feared Carter Hart so much they'd rather hit other players.

Roose13 08-09-2020 10:23 AM

NBC Sports Philly caption guy deserves a raise: https://twitter.com/_travishughes/st...99702554238976

jcc522 08-09-2020 11:11 PM

Boston, eh?

Didnít work out the last time we swept a NY team and had a long break :-(

kev87lads 08-09-2020 11:52 PM

Now that we’ve cleaned up this qualifying mess.

Flyers in 16.

dmbetc 08-10-2020 12:01 AM

This is going to be a fun two months.

Lcsulla 08-10-2020 01:40 AM

Best advice I can come up for the Hawks (aside from scoring obviously) is that is if there is a game that is close late don't let Alec Martinez touch that damn puck and beat us....again.