Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 04-22-2016 02:45 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384929)
Yep I just converted

:thumbsup I'll be sending a couple young men over to your house. They'll be in white shirts and ties, with a little black name tag. Just tell them you're looking for the "8 Wives Special" and they'll get you squared away.

lockman21 04-22-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384561)
The deep breaths aren't working. Sorry everyone that's had to sit through my rants about the 3-feet-from-the-boards hits, but I'm about to give another one. I also apologize that this might get a little heavy. I rarely talk about the story I'm about to tell, but hell, many of us have been chatting in here for what, 6 years now? This is a pretty cool place.

Playing hockey in high school, I broke a kid's neck. I remember very little of the actual occurrence, I remember going for the puck, I remember focusing on the puck, and I remember an opponent next to me who I kind of shoved as we both went into the corner. Turns out my shove was in his numbers - something I had been taught all my life to never do - and you can imagine the rest. While I can't remember much else, the image of him lying awkwardly, face down on the ice, is seared into my brain forever.

I was (and remain) a very physical player, but I wasn't dirty. I never was out to intentionally hurt someone. I was captain of my team, respectful... Hell, by now you guys know the type of person I am. But regardless, there was a kid lying there with a broken neck. And it was because of me. I was reckless, even for a split second, and the consequences were unimaginable.

The ending of the story is partially happy. After months of therapy, the kid was able to walk again and even gained full control of most of his faculties. He now leads a reasonably normal life. But there's still physical limitations. He leads a fairly normal life, miraculously, but it's not as normal as it could have been had I not done that. We've talked (well, he talked, I bawled like a baby), and he often says that in the end I've put MYSELF through more suffering than he went through. But that's bullshit... I broke his neck. As kind and forgiving as he's been - and as remorseful as I feel - it doesn't change that fact.

Hockey-wise, I was suspended the rest of the season. I accepted that without appeal. It was my junior year, and there were some that moved to have me suspended for the rest of my high school career. In the end, I think only the interference of the kid and his parents on MY behalf, advocating for me despite what I had done, were what kept me there. And guys, I'll tell ya, I wasn't even sure I wanted to play anymore after that. I mean, I broke a kid's neck.

When it comes to these types of hits, intent doesn't matter. Life does. The NHL seems to have cultivated a mentality of "it's not so bad if they don't get hurt." In the heat of a game, when split second decisions are made (like mine), a soft approach like that doesn't work. Orlov got up from his hit, but who won't some day? Is that when action will be taken, after someone is paralyzed for the rest of their life? It's easily the most dangerous type of hit in hockey, and pro-active action needs to be taken now to ensure it doesn't happen. Education is a factor; but I'm a product of USA hockey and can attest that it's already taught at ALL levels of the game. NHL players know how to hit and how not to hit. In my mind, suspensions are a valuable tool. And while I'd feel bad for a good guy like Bellamare to have to sit 10 games or whatever to send a message, I think in the end it's for the good of the game.

So if it seems like I take a hard-line approach to this type of stuff and I'm over the top with wanting 10 and 20 game suspensions, that's why. I broke a kid's neck, and I think about it every single day still. The consequences are there not just for the victim, but for the hitter too (not that they - me - deserve an equal amount of pity as the victim) and I won't shut up about getting that out of my game.

Will reply to this when I'm out of work. Just saying something right now so I don't forget.

lockman21 04-22-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384927)
Thanks man. I'll even let you pick which one!
http://jobbiecrew.com/wp-content/upl...hick-59001.jpg

You trying to get me fired?!?!?!?!

http://imgur.com/0FzCAYa

fonzz41 04-22-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16384941)
Will reply to this when I'm out of work. Just saying something right now so I don't forget.

Can't wait.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16384945)
You trying to get me fired?!?!?!?!

http://imgur.com/0FzCAYa

"Not allowed to browse lingerie/bikini category" ?!?!?!?! Time to look for a new job, son.

Climb2safety 04-22-2016 04:11 PM

Alrighty then

Climb2safety 04-22-2016 04:19 PM

Stupid 4 min call but a actually think an early PK gets the Caps going.

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384861)
I think the suspension length he was referring to was with regards to the Keath incident

He's stated more than once he doesn't believe Bellemare should have been suspended at all

Though I'm pretty sure originally he said Keath shouldn't have been either

Overall I agree he seems kind of contradictory on this

You are correct, I was referring to Keith, not Bellemare.

Keith probably should have gotten 2 or 3 games tops, likely would have if he appealed. Bellemare, I would have given him a double minor.

I do not know the solution but refs calling more major penalties (4 minute, not game misconducts) would be at least a good start!

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 04:28 PM

Wow, this guy really knows his shit! :lol

Quote:

"Putting aside the hat trick, we don't think it's a good idea for fans to be throwing things on the ice for a whole host of reasons." Bettman said Friday at a meeting of the Associated Press Sports Editors. "We don't think it's appropriate, other than the case of the hat trick, to throw things on the ice. Not only is it disruptive to the game, it's potentially dangerous."
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/15...thing-hats-ice

Climb2safety 04-22-2016 04:34 PM

Williams picking up where he left off last game. Come on man.

Roose13 04-22-2016 05:00 PM

Now in a bar watching the game. Don't worry guys, not breaking up :)

Climb2safety 04-22-2016 05:11 PM

If my bantam made some of the plays Williams is making he'd be benched.

I'm in a bar too Roos.

salrx95 04-22-2016 05:14 PM

Quine skating on the top line with JT is all you need to know regarding how Snow needs to spend more money to make this team better and give Tavares more support

Climb2safety 04-22-2016 05:19 PM

Williams again! Fucking kidding me this guy.

mthawk07 04-22-2016 05:26 PM

Someone needs to tell the Caps that it's ok to close out a series in less than 7 games.

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:28 PM

Caps have to find a way here

Way too many penalties

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:31 PM

I'm so tired of fucking around with this shit. Just win the fucking hockey game

rconverse 04-22-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16385064)
I'm so tired of fucking around with this shit. Just win the fucking hockey game

:lol :lol

The plight of being a helpless fan.

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:38 PM

Fuck you Michael Neuvirth

Dramageek 04-22-2016 05:40 PM

Yikes. Getting nervous yet, Barbs?

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:47 PM

Very

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:51 PM

This is fucking ridiculous

mthawk07 04-22-2016 05:52 PM

Haven't been able to watch, is Neuvirth standing on his head?

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:52 PM

Like a circus clown

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:53 PM

Shots are like 30-8. Something's gotta break

barbogast 04-22-2016 05:55 PM

And of course the goal against was a fluke bounce off a skate just as they finished killing Justin Williams' 17th penalty of the game

mthawk07 04-22-2016 06:01 PM

Fuck Neuvirth.

Roose13 04-22-2016 06:09 PM

<3 Neuvy

salrx95 04-22-2016 06:18 PM

It's the Thomas Greiss show in south Florida so far tonight.

Brohan_Santana 04-22-2016 06:25 PM

I'd be nervous if the Caps were playing like shit, but they've been dominating this game and getting great shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbogast 04-22-2016 06:27 PM

I'm nervous as fuck and fully acknowledge how superior the Caps have been tonight

Like I said earlier if you aren't nervous you're either lying or you haven't been around the Caps very long