Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 06:40 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Would really like this day to fly by so I can watch the continuation of the Flyers season.

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 16383666)
I feel like I should "get" this more than I do. BUT, I do think that people apologize for things even if there isn't a backlash. In a sense, I'm sure Shaw is sorry but I'm also pretty sure he'll use that word again.

:thumbsup same page

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16383667)
Pretty amazing to see how far the Penguins have come since November/December. Team was lost back then and now they've truly found their identity has as a team. Sullivan has done a great job at righting the ship

love Sulli

he'd have a perfect resume if it wasn't for playing Murray in a meaningless game against Philly and line juggling in game 2 of the rangers series

otherwise he's been amazing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16383712)
The girl in the background seems to sum up how the Rangers and their fans feel tonight:

:lol

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 06:53 AM

i didn't see Nick Mangold and Ryan Fitzpatrick shit talking the Penguins bench last night

wonder why

unccrombie 04-22-2016 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16384293)
i didn't see Nick Mangold and Ryan Fitzpatrick shit talking the Penguins bench last night

wonder why

Can't imagine anyone shit talking when they're unemployed. Much like 1/4 of the Rangers team is about to be...

Dramageek 04-22-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384147)
I'm ready for some fucking handshakes tonight

Fuck this series

:lol For the sake of your sanity I hope they get it done tonight. But if the Pens get it done on Saturday, it'll be very on.

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16384302)
Can't imagine anyone shit talking when they're unemployed. Much like 1/4 of the Rangers team is about to be...

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o85xG...TMS4/giphy.gif

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 07:10 AM

as much as i am thrilled with the Penguins performance last night, the series isn't over.

Malkin looked GREAT. it's unreal how much better the PP is with Geno out there, night and day. however, 5-0 is the same as 1-0...its just a win in a series

worst thing that can happen is the Pens lay an egg at home on saturday and have to go back to MSG...if that happens, Rangers are right back in it

unccrombie 04-22-2016 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16384316)
as much as i am thrilled with the Penguins performance last night, the series isn't over.

Malkin looked GREAT. it's unreal how much better the PP is with Geno out there, night and day. however, 5-0 is the same as 1-0...its just a win in a series

worst thing that can happen is the Pens lay an egg at home on saturday and have to go back to MSG...if that happens, Rangers are right back in it

Even if the Pens can't get on the board 3+ times in game 5, your defense has been impeccable. Rangers have looked genuinely lost in all 3 zones over the last 2 games

fonzz41 04-22-2016 07:15 AM

Quote:

John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross 2m2 minutes ago
Most OT Playoff Goals in NHL History
Joe Sakic 8
Maurice Richard 6
Patrick Kane 5
Glenn Anderson 5
#NeverForget

#LivingInThePast

unccrombie 04-22-2016 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384319)
#NeverForget

#LivingInThePast

Kane is breaking that record within the next 1-2 years

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16384318)
Even if the Pens can't get on the board 3+ times in game 5, your defense has been impeccable. Rangers have looked genuinely lost in all 3 zones over the last 2 games

true

the Pens have just flat out been the better team in all aspects. but we all know a series can shift very quickly

the one thing that gives me hope is that Hank does not look the same...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384319)
#NeverForget

#LivingInThePast

Go Avs!!!

^^ figured it's been months since anyone has said that. so that was for you. Matty.

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16384321)

Kane is breaking that record within the next 1-2 years

Kane might never score another playoff OT goal again

these things are fickle

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16383724)
Condolences, Tim.

The NHL will be a little less exciting without Pavel Datsyuk.

Yeah, very classy of TB to have all their guys take an extra moment to embrace the guy. Maybe he is back next year but if that was his last game the NHL is worse off not having him. Such a great, unselfish two way player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 16383998)
This bar is almost a Blackhawks bar at this point. Lots of fans coming in after the game.

Makes sense. I had a funny interaction at Big Y before the game. Went to get a pack of cigarettes and the kid behind the counter saw my Toews jersey and said "Don't those Blackhawks have enough cups in the past 5 years?" I didn't even know what to say and he just laughed and said "I'm just kidding man, good luck"

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 (Post 16384122)
So far in Blues Hawks series, the team that has won each game has been outshot in that game.

Even more astounding, during the postgame they said in total both teams had held a lead for just over 13 minutes out of the 5 games plus a full OT and approximately half another between games 1 and 5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16384130)
Good lord how many times has Kane done that?

Finally. Nice to see him get it in the back of the net. Damn good time for it too. I know the OT goal gets all the glory but that feed Kane gave to Panarin to smash in with 0.4 seconds left in the second was amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384155)
Personally I also enjoyed a good Rangers throttling

Don't want to face them in a later round? :lol

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16384268)
Says the guy whose team is about to blow a 3-1 lead. (Or likely not).

Even with last year's loss, I still vividly recall our series wins in 87 and the 2 games I saw live in the 93 playoffs, both of which were OT wins off the top of my head right away.

You are still low man on the totem pole around here when it comes to our teams history unless CBJ starts coming around again. Maybe that changes this year but I hope not (though I'd be happy for you, only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=Q2iXKJChy_s

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16384275)
Would really like this day to fly by so I can watch the continuation of the Flyers season.

Ugh. I'm so nervous. If the Caps don't close tonight, well, you know the rest

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16384311)
:lol For the sake of your sanity I hope they get it done tonight. But if the Pens get it done on Saturday, it'll be very on.

I'd be fine with that

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16384253)
Always the voice of reason haha.

:thumbsup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16384330)
Don't want to face them in a later round? :lol

Not really that, just always nice to see the Rags get pounded. Even if it is to the Pens

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384331)

that was some powerful skating

strong. sexy.

barbogast 04-22-2016 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16384344)
that was some powerful skating

strong. sexy.

Two very apt adjectives when describing Kuzy

fonzz41 04-22-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16384323)
Go Avs!!!

^^ figured it's been months since anyone has said that. so that was for you. Matty.

More like years. This is maybe the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me. Besides Sarah sending me the Sakic bobblehead. But this is a close second.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16384326)
Kane might never score another playoff OT goal again

these things are fickle

Yeah, it's crazy when you think about it... Like, how many playoff games does a player even get in during his career? I mean, those on good teams seem to play in a lot, but in the grand scheme of things it may not seem like a ton. But then, how many of those playoff games even go to OT? This isn't just a GWG. It's an OT winner. It's a special achievement for a player to get ONE playoff OT winner in his lifetime. That Kane has FIVE is cool... that Sakic has EIGHT... wow.

It's sometimes forgotten how clutch Super Joe was.

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384347)
Two very apt adjectives when describing H2P

fixed for accuracy

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384352)
More like years. This is maybe the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me. Besides Sarah sending me the Sakic bobblehead. But this is a close second.

Yeah, it's crazy when you think about it... Like, how many playoff games does a player even get in during his career? I mean, those on good teams seem to play in a lot, but in the grand scheme of things it may not seem like a ton. But then, how many of those playoff games even go to OT? This isn't just a GWG. It's an OT winner. It's a special achievement for a player to get ONE playoff OT winner in his lifetime. That Kane has FIVE is cool... that Sakic has EIGHT... wow.

the bolded is the big wild card...not only do you have to have a playoff game get to OT, but you also have to find a way to score before anyone on the other team OR your team does....and do it FOUR more times to break Sakic's record if you're Kane

could be done, but it's just so fickle

Roose13 04-22-2016 07:44 AM

Ugh missing tonight's game once again. At least this time it's for a good reason :lol Taking the better half to dinner for her birthday.

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16384373)
Ugh missing tonight's game once again. At least this time it's for a good reason :lol Taking the better half to dinner for her birthday.

you mean she wouldn't want to go to a sports bar and eat wings and watch hockey?

dump her ass

TMoore4075 04-22-2016 07:49 AM

How many of Sakic's were in 96?

The Hawks winning last night shows the difference of killer instinct between them and the Wings. Backs against the walls and in double OT they find a way to get it done. Wings outplayed the Lightning for most of the game I thought and it was just a great playoff game but the Wings couldn't get that goal. Hit the post a few times, had THREE breakaways, and it's a fuck up that costs them. That's the story of the whole season.

A guy on a local radio station tweeted out that most fans want them to blow it up and rebuild like the Hawks did it. I was like...wtf? Him and I were on the same page (actually know the guy from my college years but probably doesn't remember me) with what I'm about to say here. As soon as they weren't bad enough to get a high pick or when they made the playoffs just once in 10 years like the Hawks did, those same fans would be throwing a fit. Not to mention how lucky the Hawks got in winning the lottery and getting Kane. Not saying they pick this guy at #5 like the Caps did but you think Alzner gets them the Cup winning goal in 2010? Hell, do you think they even get the WCF's in 2009 the way they did? Pit the same thing. They got lucky that there was no 04-05 season. Maybe they don't get the chances for a high pick if they were a little better. Some other team could have won that pick the way 05 lottery was weighted. Of course no one mentions the Oilers sucking and having 4 #1 picks and where are they....? Oh yeah picking top 5 again. Wings have young talent, quite a bit actually, they just all need to step up and the coaches need to find a way to get them to be productive. It'll be interesting to see what they do. Pavel's contract needs to be dumped to a team going for the floor. A pick or prospect will probably have to go with it (I'd rather it be a pick) to make it worth their while but...needs to happen. Better than $7.5mil of dead cap space. Wings need some help scoring up front, or Nyquist and Tatar to you know show the fuck up, and also need some help on D. They have no legit # d-man. Holland has his work cut out for him. A few moves and who knows.

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16384339)
Not really that, just always nice to see the Rags get pounded. Even if it is to the Pens

Just busting your chops Barbs, I highly doubt the Rangers will advance. Love to see it but it will be a tough road back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384352)

Yeah Sakic was amazing. With any luck Kane can cut into that lead during this playoffs.

Couple of other things:

Nice to see Hossa get his 50th playoff goal while shorthanded last night.

Toews has to take his game up a peg for the next 2 games. St. Louis has been doing a superb job shutting down him and Kane. Both have come damn close but Elliot is on top of his game and the iron is his best friend on D.

Hjalmarsson is one of the most under-rated D-men in the league. If he was on any other team that didn't have Keith and Seabrook he would be a standout and Norris contender.

Nice to know Shaw is returning for a home game and not going into a hostile environment.

Do they just plug Keith into an outlet and charge him up and let him go, damn the guy logged over 40 minutes on the ice last night.

Ladd really showing his physical side this series.

HAVE to win tomorrow at home and force a fierce game 7 battle!!!

Jesus I am tired today! :lol

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16384375)
you mean she wouldn't want to go to a sports bar and eat wings and watch hockey?

dump her ass

Yeah, this clearly isn't true love. It's time to move on.

TMoore4075 04-22-2016 08:03 AM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle29714792/

No surprise here either.

Lcsulla 04-22-2016 08:11 AM

Quote:

Know how you feel and can sympathize. Tomorrow night I will be at my uncle's 65th Birthday drinking bourbon while the Hawks and blues battle it out again. It is all I can do to fake a flu. :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16384376)

The Hawks winning last night shows the difference of killer instinct between them and the Wings. Backs against the walls and in double OT they find a way to get it done. Wings outplayed the Lightning for most of the game I thought and it was just a great playoff game but the Wings couldn't get that goal. Hit the post a few times, had THREE breakaways, and it's a fuck up that costs them. That's the story of the whole season.

A guy on a local radio station tweeted out that most fans want them to blow it up and rebuild like the Hawks did it. I was like...wtf? Him and I were on the same page (actually know the guy from my college years but probably doesn't remember me) with what I'm about to say here. As soon as they weren't bad enough to get a high pick or when they made the playoffs just once in 10 years like the Hawks did, those same fans would be throwing a fit. Not to mention how lucky the Hawks got in winning the lottery and getting Kane. Not saying they pick this guy at #5 like the Caps did but you think Alzner gets them the Cup winning goal in 2010? Hell, do you think they even get the WCF's in 2009 the way they did? Pit the same thing. They got lucky that there was no 04-05 season. Maybe they don't get the chances for a high pick if they were a little better. Some other team could have won that pick the way 05 lottery was weighted. Of course no one mentions the Oilers sucking and having 4 #1 picks and where are they....? Oh yeah picking top 5 again. Wings have young talent, quite a bit actually, they just all need to step up and the coaches need to find a way to get them to be productive. It'll be interesting to see what they do. Pavel's contract needs to be dumped to a team going for the floor. A pick or prospect will probably have to go with it (I'd rather it be a pick) to make it worth their while but...needs to happen. Better than $7.5mil of dead cap space. Wings need some help scoring up front, or Nyquist and Tatar to you know show the fuck up, and also need some help on D. They have no legit # d-man. Holland has his work cut out for him. A few moves and who knows.

Hopefully that killer instinct will stay with the Hawks for the next 2 games and they can steal the series.

Agreed on Detroit, they have a lot of young talent. Larkin is going to be a standout player, Jesus is that guy fast on his skates and quick with his stick!

barbogast 04-22-2016 08:12 AM

Quote:

dump her ass

:thumbsup

Bingo

fonzz41 04-22-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16384376)

Only two that year.

And yeah, after a sub-par season fans are always ready to blow up a team. But they usually sing a different tune AFTER the blow up happens.
Quote:

dump her ass

Here's a story of true hockey love:

When I was in college I had this lady friend (platonic) who was a big hockey fan. She used to come over and watch playoff games with me. This was in '06, during the Canes/Oilers SCF. All of a sudden, her friend started coming with her. Her HOT friend. Like, I know my limitations and didn't even try to hit on this friend or anything. This friend claimed she loved hockey, and we started hanging out, even long after the games ended.

Turns out, she knew NOTHING about hockey, but for some inexplicable reason had a thing for me and that's why she was coming over.

Long story short, I married the shit outta her, taught her everything I know about hockey, and now she's a huge hockey fan. Her only shortcoming is that she became a Pens fan (she was on bed rest, pregnant with our twins during the Pens' run and had a lot of time to watch games) and Geno Malkin remains her favorite player.

So yeah, true love, guys. If you haven't found that yet, Roose, time to find a new chick.

Dramageek 04-22-2016 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384430)
Only two that year.

And yeah, after a sub-par season fans are always ready to blow up a team. But they usually sing a different tune AFTER the blow up happens.

When I was in college I had this lady friend (platonic) who was a big hockey fan. She used to come over and watch playoff games with me. This was in '06, during the Canes/Oilers SCF. All of a sudden, her friend started coming with her. Her HOT friend. Like, I know my limitations and didn't even try to hit on this friend or anything. This friend claimed she loved hockey, and we started hanging out, even long after the games ended.

Turns out, she knew NOTHING about hockey, but for some inexplicable reason had a thing for me and that's why she was coming over.

Long story short, I married the shit outta her, taught her everything I know about hockey, and now she's a huge hockey fan. Her only shortcoming is that she became a Pens fan (she was on bed rest, pregnant with our twins during the Pens' run and had a lot of time to watch games) and Geno Malkin remains her favorite player.

So yeah, true love, guys. If you haven't found that yet, Roose, time to find a new chick.

:lol That's great! And clearly you married a woman of impeccable taste and class. I hope she enjoyed Geno's beast mode performance last night.

hailtopitt 04-22-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16384398)

wow....

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16384430)

:lol i married the shit outta her :lol

nice! she picked the right team

that really is #LoVE