Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Dramageek 03-28-2016 07:38 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16349369)
Just a friendly show of respect. Feel the same way when away fans sing Hanks name when they score on him.

Fair enough. :thumbsup

^ I agree on both counts. I like his shoot as much as possible mentality, but please hit the net. Though he hit the crossbar last night, so he's getting better with that!

hailtopitt 03-28-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Just a friendly show of respect. Feel the same way when away fans sing Hanks name when they score on him.

lol what? that happens with p much any goalie

aeroshady 03-28-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16349374)
lol what? that happens with p much any goalie

Any good goalie. I never heard anyone sing Raatna over and over....

hailtopitt 03-28-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16349387)

that's because he doesn't play...

unccrombie 03-28-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16349387)

:thumbsup

unccrombie 03-28-2016 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16349396)
that's because he doesn't play...

:lol wut?

hailtopitt 03-28-2016 08:07 AM

he's the backup to a top 5 goalie ipso facto he rarely plays

and when he does play no one cares

there are maybe 5 players total in the league who get booed every time they touch the puck in multiple cities...whereas there are dozens of goalies who would get mocked when letting in a softie or getting lit up for a bunch of goals

all you need is a first or last name with 2 syllables

unccrombie 03-28-2016 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16349402)
he's the backup to a top 5 goalie ipso facto he rarely plays

and when he does play no one cares

there are maybe 5 players total in the league who get booed every time they touch the puck in multiple cities...whereas there are dozens of goalies who would get mocked when letting in a softie or getting lit up for a bunch of goals

all you need is a first or last name with 2 syllables

he plays just about as much as every other backup to a good goalie.

hailtopitt 03-28-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16349407)
he plays just about as much as every other backup to a good goalie.

lol yea, agreed....

not sure where you're going with this

shady's use of a backup who rarely plays was a bad example in terms of drawing ire from hostile fans, yes?

Dramageek 03-28-2016 08:15 AM

In other news, the Caps can clinch their second President's Trophy tonight with a point against the Jackets, all but guaranteeing a first round exit. ;)

And looking at the standings, I realized I don't actually know how playoff seeding works with the current divisional format. Is it the top seeds in each division get the Wild Card teams, then the divisional opponents play each other in Round 1?

aeroshady 03-28-2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16349411)
lol yea, agreed....

not sure where you're going with this

shady's use of a backup who rarely plays was a bad example in terms of drawing ire from hostile fans, yes?

Dude, you are the only person I know that could start an argument over a Rangers fan giving Crosby a complement.:lol

My point was simply that fans taunt the away goalie when they know he is good and they have him beat that game. It happens because those fans know that goalie is good and by singing his name in taunting they are actually giving him respect for what he has accomplished.

Rangers fans do this to Crosby in a similar fashion. If the player (or goalies in my example) truly did suck, the fans would not bother!

hailtopitt 03-28-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16349415)
In other news, the Caps can clinch their second President's Trophy tonight with a point against the Jackets, all but guaranteeing a first round exit. ;)

And looking at the standings, I realized I don't actually know how playoff seeding works with the current divisional format. Is it the top seeds in each division get the Wild Card teams, then the divisional opponents play each other in Round 1?

yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16349423)
Dude, you are the only person I know that could start an argument over a Rangers fan giving Crosby a complement.:lol

My point was simply that fans taunt the away goalie when they know he is good and they have him beat that game. It happens because those fans know that goalie is good and by singing his name in taunting they are actually giving him respect for what he has accomplished.

Rangers fans do this to Crosby in a similar fashion. If the player (or goalies in my example) truly did suck, the fans would not bother!

oh stop it, your intention was not to compliment Crosby

and my point is that very few skaters get booed the way Crosby does all over the league in tons of cities

whereas p much any goalie will get the taunt on a bad night if their name has 2 syllables

aeroshady 03-28-2016 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16349430)
yes

oh stop it, your intention was not to compliment Crosby

and my point is that very few skaters get booed the way Crosby does all over the league in tons of cities

whereas p much any goalie will get the taunt on a bad night if their name has 2 syllables

Actually my point was to complement 87. He is one of the best players in hockey and that is why he gets booed. Just like Lundqvist is one of the best players in hockey too.

Seriously, Hank is as important to the Rangers as Crosby is to the penguins. I feel like Hank gets taunted more than most goalies because everyone knows how good he is and how integral he is to the Rangers success.

I don't see much of a difference between Crosby and Hank.

BeyondKnight 03-28-2016 08:36 AM

Quote:

Before or after he chucks the net off the moorings?

hailtopitt 03-28-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16349461)
Actually my point was to complement 87. He is one of the best players in hockey and that is why he gets booed. Just like Lundqvist is one of the best players in hockey too.

Seriously, Hank is as important to the Rangers as Crosby is to the penguins. I feel like Hank gets taunted more than most goalies because everyone knows how good he is and how integral he is to the Rangers success.

I don't see much of a difference between Crosby and Hank.

ok if you say so bud :thumbsup

aeroshady 03-28-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16349463)
ok if you say so bud :thumbsup

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16349461)

I don't see much of a difference between Crosby and Hank. Except when they play in the playoffs Crosby has to travel to catch up with team Canada for worlds when the series is over.

There, I fixed my comments for you. See in you in a week #2016NHLPLAYOFFS :violent:violent:rattle

lockman21 03-28-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16349415)

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/0T...tDIUAEW0Zt.jpg

hailtopitt 03-28-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16349473)
There, I fixed my comments for you. See in you in a week #2016NHLPLAYOFFS :violent:violent:rattle

don't forget that Crosby has a ring and Hank doesn't

don't ever forget that

aeroshady 03-28-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16349478)

:lol:lol I forgot about that

swordo84 03-28-2016 08:50 AM

Awfully glad the Oilers old boys club was finally broken up. Here's a nice little article outlining how they ignored ALL their scouts to draft Nail 'The Fail' Yakupov. If the Oil got a bag of pucks back for him I'd be thrilled.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/o...yakupov-start/

aeroshady 03-28-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16349486)
don't forget that Crosby has a ring and Hank doesn't

don't ever forget that

I am sure the Penguins organization will be totally happy with the one Cup they got from Crosby and Malkin. #metexpectations. #shouldhavedraftedtoewsandkane

Dramageek 03-28-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16349478)

:lol :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16349510)
I am sure the Penguins organization will be totally happy with the one Cup they got from Crosby and Malkin. #metexpectations. #shouldhavedraftedtoewsandkane

I'd rather have one ring than none, but there are days I wish the Pens drafted Toewes instead of J. Staal.

barbogast 03-28-2016 09:20 AM

Every goalie with a two syllable name gets chanted if they get scored against. It's not just Hank at all, nor does he get it any worse than anyone else.

Anyway, going to Caps/Jackets tonight. First time at a game in a few years. Hopefully I get the good Caps and not the bad ones.

aeroshady 03-28-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16349579)
Every goalie with a two syllable name gets chanted if they get scored against. It's not just Hank at all, nor does he get it any worse than anyone else.

Anyway, going to Caps/Jackets tonight. First time at a game in a few years. Hopefully I get the good Caps and not the bad ones.

I disagree. Moving on.

TMoore4075 03-28-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16349578)
:lol :lol

I'd rather have one ring than none, but there are days I wish the Pens drafted Toewes instead of J. Staal.

Malkin probably isn't there right now. No way they could have all 3 of them and Toews does not get traded. Makes you kinda wonder how the rest of that draft worked out too. Do Hawks take Staal or do they go with someone like Backstrom, etc?

aeroshady 03-28-2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16349596)
Malkin probably isn't there right now. No way they could have all 3 of them and Toews does not get traded. Makes you kinda wonder how the rest of that draft worked out too. Do Hawks take Staal or do they go with someone like Backstrom, etc?

After I made that post I went back and looked at the first round from 2004-2008. Could have changed so much had the top 3-4 teams each year selected differently.

hailtopitt 03-28-2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16349510)

1 ring is better than 0 and the core still has several years left in their primes

plus the issue wasn't drafting Crosby and Malkin instead of Toews and Kane, it was how the Pens built the team around them

clearly Chicago has had a much deeper, more consistent team

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16349579)

yup :thumbsup just facts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16349596)

yea plus hindsight is 20/20

Jordan Staal was an integral part of the Pens' 2009 cup team

barbogast 03-28-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16349594)
I disagree. Moving on.

I'm just not sure how. I mean have you watched when Holtby or Fleury gives up a goal at MSG? It's literally the same reaction that Lundqvist gets when gives one up at Consol or Verizon

Dramageek 03-28-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16349612)
1 ring is better than 0 and the core still has several years left in their primes

plus the issue wasn't drafting Crosby and Malkin instead of Toews and Kane, it was how the Pens built the team around them

clearly Chicago has had a much deeper, more consistent team

yup :thumbsup just facts

yea plus hindsight is 20/20

Jordan Staal was an integral part of the Pens' 2009 cup team

Very much this. It's hard not to be satisfied with the Pens' superstars. And Jordan Staal did great. After 2009, the supporting cast they put around them was questionable at best. Bylsma tried too hard to give the muckers and grinders serious playing time (Craig Adams, what?!).

I just find it interesting to play the what-if game.

TMoore4075 03-28-2016 09:49 AM

We know Flyers fans hang on 2007. Look at the drop off after Kane...I don't know most of those guys in the first round.