Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 06-24-2017 08:13 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (Penns are garage league champs)

I'm still sad.

JRS1386 06-24-2017 08:14 AM

At the end of the day the Flyers did not lock up Oshie for 8 years so that's a plus

JRS1386 06-24-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16823252)
I'm still sad.

Saad you mean?

salrx95 06-24-2017 08:28 AM

Hamonic traded for a first and 2 second rd picks.

Guessing the picks will be used in trade in near future

barbogast 06-24-2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16823253)
At the end of the day the Flyers did not lock up Oshie for 8 years so that's a plus

It just seems insane right? I mean that's a great deal if it's 4 years or even 5. But 8? What the hell is that about

Dramageek 06-24-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16823210)
Not sure how I feel about the Reaves trade. I thought the Pens liked Sundqvist a lot, he was also the Pens highest C prospect. Seems like a lot to give up your first rounder and him for Reaves. We got a 2nd rounder in return so we only dropped 20 spots in the draft but the price just seems too high.

I like the addition of Reaves in itself though.

Madden was saying yesterday that the team was really souring on Sundqvist and that he may not have even played on the big club next year. It is an interesting move, and GMJR did say that he wanted to add more physicality. I don't completely like it because why tinker with the speed and skill formula that seems to be working so well. Plus they need some depth at C now as Bonino is unlikely to re-sign.

The move is definitely not as weird as signing 31-year-old T. J. Oshie for 8 years, though! :lol

fonzz41 06-24-2017 08:54 AM

With Hamonic gone and others seemingly still balking at Sakic's asking price, I'm starting to worry this whole Duchene situation will turn into one similar to Vancouver when they were trying to move Luongo.

bradshaw06 06-24-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16823265)
Madden was saying yesterday that the team was really souring on Sundqvist and that he may not have even played on the big club next year. It is an interesting move, and GMJR did say that he wanted to add more physicality. I don't completely like it because why tinker with the speed and skill formula that seems to be working so well. Plus they need some depth at C now as Bonino is unlikely to re-sign.

The move is definitely not as weird as signing 31-year-old T. J. Oshie for 8 years, though! :lol

I've been reading things from the blues side, they are disappointed Reaves was traded. A lot of glowing reviews of the guy, speaking to his leadership etc. doesnt seem like a guy that takes bad penalties. i find myself more on board with it.

Dramageek 06-24-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16823275)
I've been reading things from the blues side, they are disappointed Reaves was traded. A lot of glowing reviews of the guy, speaking to his leadership etc. doesnt seem like a guy that takes bad penalties. i find myself more on board with it.

After two Cups in a row I really shouldn't doubt any move they make at this point. :lol That is good news, though.

bradshaw06 06-24-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16823277)
After two Cups in a row I really shouldn't doubt any move they make at this point. :lol That is good news, though.

Ha yeah that was my reaction last night, i said 'a first?!' Then quickly thought, well they did just win two. Let's see how it goes.

Roose13 06-24-2017 09:36 AM

Just, the more I think about it, man that Oshie deal is something else. He's a good player, don't get me wrong. But eight years? That's twice as long as he should be signed at 30.

Roose13 06-24-2017 10:51 AM

I don't think this was posted in here but yesterday (June 23) may have officially become dubbed "No Flyer Is Safe Day."

2011 - Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are traded
2012 - James van Riemsdyk is traded
2014 - Scott Hartnell is traded
2017 - Brayden Schenn is traded

fonzz41 06-24-2017 02:16 PM

Welp the draft is over and the Ava have done nothing. Not what I was expecting.

kev87lads 06-24-2017 04:35 PM

I'm fine with the Schenn deal. He was seemingly coming into his own. However. He was a product of the space Simmons, Giroux and Voracek gave him on the power play. He had 25 goals and 17 were on the PP. more than half of his points were on the PP. I think the Flyers are thinking that Filpula and Konecny can fill that role moving forward. Maybe Patrick if he plays right away.

Letehra just replaces Bellemare in my opinion.

They still have too many centers.

~Crashintome89~ 06-24-2017 08:37 PM

Really like all the moves Flyers made.

Schenn's problem was his 5v5 play, and the lack of physicality on a consistent nightly basis.

The deal also clears up some space for extensions for Simmonds and Provorov in two years, which is when Laherta's contract expires.

TheLastPig 06-24-2017 08:59 PM

Watching this video has me crossed.

https://www.facebook.com/GlovesOffHo...1715953903716/

I hate this aspect of hockey and the fact the Pens decided to add a guy like this after winning two cups without one. But it still feels like a necessary evil in the game and that really sucks.

My god though I'm not sure I've seen anyone throw haymakers like that in the modern NHL era.

Hopefully he can avoid that stuff with the Pens for the most part and play hockey in a physical, intimidating nature.

fonzz41 06-25-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16823425)
Watching this video has me crossed.

https://www.facebook.com/GlovesOffHo...1715953903716/

I hate this aspect of hockey and the fact the Pens decided to add a guy like this after winning two cups without one. But it still feels like a necessary evil in the game and that really sucks.

My god though I'm not sure I've seen anyone throw haymakers like that in the modern NHL era.

Hopefully he can avoid that stuff with the Pens for the most part and play hockey in a physical, intimidating nature.

Reaves is pretty talented for his size. Not a terrible skater, good shot, and good instincts. I saw him play the PK a couple times and he didn't look out of place. Not your typical enforcer, although he's DANG tough, like you mentioned.

All that said, he's in the NHL right now because he's done what coaches have asked of him. No guy comes into the NHL WANTING to be an enforcer. It's a role that is asked of/forced upon them (however you choose to look at it). He'll continue doing that. He'll play the way Sullivan wants him to play. If Sullivan wants him to be a goon, that's what he'll do.

The good thing is that just having Reaves on the roster is pretty intimidating in itself. Even better that he can play a regular shift.

Lcsulla 06-25-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16823221)
I still can't believe the Caps locked up Oshie until he's 38. Only Washington can fuck up something as exciting as resigning Oshie.

39 actually, his birthday is in December! :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16823351)
Welp the draft is over and the Ava have done nothing. Not what I was expecting.

When it comes to CO I tend to agree they should have been more aggressive but with a teams that are not (no offense) pretty bad sometimes doing less is the smart play.

Lcsulla 06-25-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16823178)
Hey guys. Asking for a friend, what's the quickest someone's ever been banned back to back? Thanks in advance

Honestly, probably 20 seconds tops. You might remember a poster from the tailgate named 'UglyNakedGuy' who had more alters than any poster I have ever come across so I ended up tossing about 10 of his alters and the normal user in the span of a few minutes.

Please do not read anything into that, I am just answering your question - nothing more.

fonzz41 06-25-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16823221)
I still can't believe the Caps locked up Oshie until he's 38. Only Washington can fuck up something as exciting as resigning Oshie.

I don't know, I feel like this won't be as bad as we think. Washington needed to sweeten the pot to keep Oshie, and term may have been the deciding factor. Maybe since he has a family he wanted the stability? In any case, I'd be surprised if he made it all the way to the end of that contract.

bradshaw06 06-25-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16823301)
I don't think this was posted in here but yesterday (June 23) may have officially become dubbed "No Flyer Is Safe Day."

2011 - Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are traded
2012 - James van Riemsdyk is traded
2014 - Scott Hartnell is traded
2017 - Brayden Schenn is traded

Its crazy to me that richards and carter were moved 6 years ago. If i recall, that was also the year Jagr came back and signed with philly. Where did the time go?

Roose13 06-25-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16823514)
Its crazy to me that richards and carter were moved 6 years ago. If i recall, that was also the year Jagr came back and signed with philly. Where did the time go?

This correct. And I know man. To think, it's already been six years since the Flyers were a perennial contender.

dmbetc 06-25-2017 08:19 PM

Gotta make sure everyone sees this masterpiece

https://twitter.com/jasondemers5/sta...19094732754945

TMoore4075 06-26-2017 06:10 AM

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/

So per this, all these guys played for the Avs last year.

jrkarger 06-26-2017 06:19 AM

RE the Reaves things I'm not too concerned about the center depth because I have to believe that GMJR has a plan to deal with it via trade or free agency.

Secondly, based on everything I read Reaves can actually play 3rd or 4th line shifts. It doesn't appear they traded away what they did for Sestito 2.0.

TheLastPig 06-26-2017 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16823689)
RE the Reaves things I'm not too concerned about the center depth because I have to believe that GMJR has a plan to deal with it via trade or free agency.

Secondly, based on everything I read Reaves can actually play 3rd or 4th line shifts. It doesn't appear they traded away what they did for Sestito 2.0.

Oh no he can definitely play, they didnt trade for a straight enforcer. Anyone who says or thinks that is totally wrong.

jrkarger 06-26-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16823780)
Oh no he can definitely play, they didnt trade for a straight enforcer. Anyone who says or thinks that is totally wrong.

I agree. Although based on my light (emphasis light) skimming of twitter and brief snipits I caught of Madden and Dunlap it appears that some part of twitter and Pens fanbase is in full melt.

TheLastPig 06-26-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16823783)
I agree. Although based on my light (emphasis light) skimming of twitter and brief snipits I caught of Madden and Dunlap it appears that some part of twitter and Pens fanbase is in full melt.

Its just some people thinking it wasnt worth giving up sundqvist and theyre blowing it out of proportion.

Ive really started to dislike some of what Dunlap does.

I think thats a fair concern with the trade tbh, but if you dont trust GMJR at this point, then I dont really know what to tell people lol

jrkarger 06-26-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16823792)
Its just some people thinking it wasnt worth giving up sundqvist and theyre blowing it out of proportion.

Ive really started to dislike some of what Dunlap does.

I think thats a fair concern with the trade tbh, but if you dont trust GMJR at this point, then I dont really know what to tell people lol

I only catch about 15 min of the Fan morning show at this point anymore. I flip between them and DVE. The general sentiment i heard this morning (with which I agree) was that losing sunqvist is getting blown way out of proportion.

Although, the guys on the show (and it's their business to be catchy, provocative, etc.) was, "They aren't tearing down the Oscar Sunqvist statue because of this trade."

I chuckled.

Roose13 06-26-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16823600)
Gotta make sure everyone sees this masterpiece

https://twitter.com/jasondemers5/sta...19094732754945

*makes wookie call in delight*