Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TheLastPig 04-28-2017 09:20 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16777641)
I think I counted 5 Penns infractions on the scrum in front of the net

There were a couple. Ovie also just bowled over MAF unprovoked.

bradshaw06 04-28-2017 09:22 AM

Johannson also grabbed Mattaas stick for about 5 seconds. Refs missed caps with 7 on the ice at one point as well. Point being, misses happen both ways.

~Crashintome89~ 04-28-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16777461)
A couple years ago when we did the yearly threads, a few people were in here trolling because....they have small dicks maybe? I dunno. I guess you feel power in a DMB message board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16777465)
Chris, I remember that this used to happen too. It was common when we would create a new thread for the new season every year. Trolls would come in and say shit about hockey all the time...

That mentality is a large reason why I don't like or watch the NFL. A lot of NFL fans have that meat head thought process that makes me want to vomit.

I can't really put a finger on it but if I had to explain the backlash against hockey or us from others who occupy the tailgate it's this:

there's a level of intelligence and knowledge that we all have of our teams and the game itself. (Of course, there will always be MINOR slip-ups like someone not knowing what a Gordie Howe hat trick is, or Jamie Benn is not a freaking center.) There's also an understanding and a level of civility amongst us. Yes, we might pick a fight with each other or troll another team/fanbase, but at the end of the day we're here to talk about hockey. We're not just trolls. We take our posts with a level of seriousness and like to make valid points.

The backlash come from people who try and come in here, talk shit about the sport or a team, and then loses their cool/shit over a rebuttal. Then they turn around and throw temper tantrums. Generally these people often like other sports and watch a ton of ESPN, which I have a feeling none of us really do.

Lcsulla 04-28-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16777419)
They have before, but thankfully been a while.

I love all 4 major sports but if I ever have any digs it's at how to improve those sports. Like the NBA being so predictable in the early rounds, I think they could fix some of that with X. Then their fans get defensive and think their sports are perfect, and then go off about hockey to make themselves feel better I think.

I never really understood the point of trolling. Personally the NBA bores me senseless but I don't go into that thread to say so. As for that ESPN thread - have not looked at it yet so I have not seen the comments but can imagine what people say. That said, it would be nice if ESPN went back to reporting exclusively on sports rather than every social issue that may pop up that will effect 1 out of every 10k players and fans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16777485)
Ref has to take control in that situation. When he loses sight of the puck the whistle should be blown.

It was definitely still loose initially as it was sitting between one of the Pens players legs after MAF made the initial save, then all hell broke loose :lol

I do not actually think the ref lost sight of the puck, I think he blew the play dead to keep a brawl from breaking out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16777544)
Sens were 2k short of a sellout last night. Looks like Canadian media was busy making excuses for hem.

http://www.canescountry.com/2017/4/2...ise-relocation

Don't much care about the sellout vs not sellout argument but I do have a small gripe with the playoff format that gives home ice to a team with 4 less regular season points in the standings.

Aero - that Gretzky jersey is getting a thorough wash later today. :lol

Climb2safety 04-28-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16777644)
Johannson also grabbed Mattaas stick for about 5 seconds. Refs missed caps with 7 on the ice at one point as well. Point being, misses happen both ways.

I thought that too many men would be called for sure.

It looked like they were between periods :lol

TMoore4075 04-28-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16777652)
I can't really put a finger on it but if I had to explain the backlash against hockey or us from others who occupy the tailgate it's this:

there's a level of intelligence and knowledge that we all have of our teams and the game itself. (Of course, there will always be MINOR slip-ups like someone not knowing what a Gordie Howe hat trick is, or Jamie Benn is not a freaking center.) There's also an understanding and a level of civility amongst us. Yes, we might pick a fight with each other or troll another team/fanbase, but at the end of the day we're here to talk about hockey. We're not just trolls. We take our posts with a level of seriousness and like to make valid points.

The backlash come from people who try and come in here, talk shit about the sport or a team, and then loses their cool/shit over a rebuttal. Then they turn around and throw temper tantrums. Generally these people often like other sports and watch a ton of ESPN, which I have a feeling none of us really do.

This is true. I think that speaks to sports in general. The NFL, NBA and MLB (to a lesser extent than the first 2 imo) are popular with average sports fans who watch it but don't can't really have an educated conversation about it and we see that in the other threads. We do have those conversations here. I've said it before, I like that dynamic we have in here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16777653)
I never really understood the point of trolling. Personally the NBA bores me senseless but I don't go into that thread to say so. As for that ESPN thread - have not looked at it yet so I have not seen the comments but can imagine what people say. That said, it would be nice if ESPN went back to reporting exclusively on sports rather than every social issue that may pop up that will effect 1 out of every 10k players and fans.

Don't much care about the sellout vs not sellout argument but I do have a small gripe with the playoff format that gives home ice to a team with 4 less regular season points in the standings.

The NBA can be good in the last two rounds, but that speaks to where they are as a league. They are very top heavy.

I agree with you on ESPN. I'm fine with some of those shows, because you have to diversify, I get that. But they just axed the educated reporters to keep all the more pop culture type aspects of their network. That makes 0 sense to me but I guess we should have seen that coming because they've slowly been going that way for the last 10-15 years.

I'll say it again, but the team with lesser points thing happened in the old format too. My Wings in 2000 finished 12 points better than the Avs but in round 2 the Avs got home ice because the Wings didn't win their division so they finished 4th in seeding even though they were the 2nd best team in the entire league. Happened A LOT with the Southeast Division because...it sucked. 1999 the Canes got home ice in round 1 over the Bruins even though the Bruins had 5 more points than the Canes. Canes were actually 8th if you ranked them straight 1-8 but got the 3rd seed for winning the division. But the Bruins still beat them and that's what you have to do. It might not be "fair" but if you're better, go and prove it. This isn't the NBA where home ice/court matters all that much. Look at both western conference game 1's. Now if they went back to 1-8 with the division champs getting the top two seeds, it would be less likely to happen because you only have 2 divisions per conference, but you still have to win and this issue this year, won't happen that often, everyone just notices it in the moment and you can't rush off and make a chance because of one time. If does continue to be an issue (which I doubt because I expect TO to improve and TBL to rebound) then they'll change it but they'll give it more time.

YouNeverKnow25 04-28-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

:lol :lol this post is exactly why there's a backlash against hockey/hockeybros, but not for why you think it is :lol :lol

TheLastPig 04-28-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16777653)

I do not actually think the ref lost sight of the puck, I think he blew the play dead to keep a brawl from breaking out.

No he definitely didnt lose sight when he did blow it. Im saying earlier in the sequence when it was covered there was a time noone could see it and it shouldve been blown dead then. When he actually blew it was just to stop all the craziness.

TheLastPig 04-28-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16777721)
:lol :lol this post is exactly why there's a backlash against hockey/hockeybros, but not for why you think it is :lol :lol

No its not. Its because alot of the country doesnt like/care about the sport and they like to talk down on it because its 2017 and thats what people do with everything.

You can :lol all you want but hes totally right, and thats why this thread is the best on this site because its always civil even with rival fans and theres more in depth discussion here on a consistent basis than any other sports thread.

Lcsulla 04-28-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16777696)
The NBA can be good in the last two rounds, but that speaks to where they are as a league. They are very top heavy.

I agree with you on ESPN. I'm fine with some of those shows, because you have to diversify, I get that. But they just axed the educated reporters to keep all the more pop culture type aspects of their network. That makes 0 sense to me but I guess we should have seen that coming because they've slowly been going that way for the last 10-15 years.

Just not a basketball fan at all, my winters were spend playing and watching hockey or playing indoor soccer. Outside the occasional game of horse with some friends in HS or showing off that I could dunk a ball the closest I came to playing basketball was beer pong. I have tried watching it but frankly it bores the snot out of me, may as well be tennis or ping pong with the constant back and forth - just more scoring. Certain sports are not for everyone, I can happily sit through 90 minutes of soccer and enjoy myself but when it comes to basketball I just cannot do it.

Agree completely on ESPN, honestly I think a lot of their reporters graduated college with journalism degrees and wanted to get into politics but were not all that great or knowledgeable about the topic so they spew their views on a damn sports network.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16777726)
No he definitely didnt lose sight when he did blow it. Im saying earlier in the sequence when it was covered there was a time noone could see it and it shouldve been blown dead then. When he actually blew it was just to stop all the craziness.

Gotcha, thought you were saying they lost sight of the puck.

hailtopitt 04-28-2017 12:09 PM

Hockey

Hockey hockey hockey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLastPig 04-28-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16777801)
Hockey

Hockey hockey hockey

hows the new job?

Climb2safety 04-28-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16777801)
Hockey

Hockey hockey hockey

It's just soooooo easy being a penguins fan isn't it?

jrkarger 04-28-2017 12:15 PM

H2P is still with us!!!

I was starting to worry.

fonzz41 04-28-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16777733)
No its not. Its because alot of the country doesnt like/care about the sport and they like to talk down on it because its 2017 and thats what people do with everything.

You can :lol all you want but hes totally right, and thats why this thread is the best on this site because its always civil even with rival fans and theres more in depth discussion here on a consistent basis than any other sports thread.

And the thing is, I don't feel like we're too exclusive or anything like that. If anyone wants to come in and talk hockey, I feel like we're pretty welcoming and such. Now, when people come in just to troll, we're pretty good at biting back. But overall, I think we're good.

fonzz41 04-28-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16777105)
There will be some things said and what not throughout this series Penns/Caps series . Means no ill will. Cheers and hope for some great hockey

Uh, where's the old Brohan and what have you done with him?

Lcsulla 04-28-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16777845)
And the thing is, I don't feel like we're too exclusive or anything like that. If anyone wants to come in and talk hockey, I feel like we're pretty welcoming and such. Now, when people come in just to troll, we're pretty good at biting back. But overall, I think we're good.

Having 2 mods who are rabid hockey fans helps keep the trolls in check a bit because the trolls know Sarah or I will happily smack them with a ban for trolling.

lockman21 04-28-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16777105)
There will be some things said and what not throughout this series Penns/Caps series . Means no ill will. Cheers and hope for some great hockey

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16777847)
Uh, where's the old Brohan and what have you done with him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcjSDZNbOs0

rickyh24 04-28-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

:lol :lol amazing.

fonzz41 04-28-2017 03:58 PM

So Ricky, what do you think the bruins need to do this offseason? Major overhaul time, or just a couple tweaks?

rickyh24 04-28-2017 04:58 PM

The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16777919)
So Ricky, what do you think the bruins need to do this offseason? Major overhaul time, or just a couple tweaks?

Couple tweaks. They have a great goalie and a ton of young talent. Definitely wouldn't overhaul the roster at all. Maybe move krejci if they can find the right deal to clear up some finances.

TMoore4075 04-28-2017 05:12 PM

Darling traded to the Canes. Thoughts on him moving on Hawks fans?

TheLastPig 04-28-2017 05:46 PM

Wanted to see your opinions on this. They brought it up during the period break and were kind of mixed on opinions. NBC guys basically just said "this is the way the game is going. All of us older guys in the studio would've laid the hit."

To me it's a very good thing this is the way things are going. That hit was away from the puck by the time Obie got there. Hopefully players recognize the best way to make the sport the best it can be is to not put the leagues star players in the press box.

Idk if 8 would've let that go earlier in his career, but I respect that he resisted for sure.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/04/28/...hit-on-crosby/

Lcsulla 04-28-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16777949)

Not overly happy to be honest, they kind of got screwed getting only a 3rd round pick in that trade. He is a damn good goalie and deserves his payday - even if I was pretty sure he would not be back in Chicago next year because he has earned a starting role. Part of me (at times) thinks he is a better all around goalie, less prone to brain farts than Crawford but Crawford is pretty underrated and they are paying him next to nothing for a #1 goalie with 2 rings to his name, not to mention a Jennings, a President's trophy and being the alternate goalie in 2010 if Niemi or Huet went down.

fonzz41 04-28-2017 06:00 PM

Not sure why Fiddler got a game misconduct for that. Even so, hope Parayko is ok.

aeroshady 04-28-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16777965)
Not sure why Fiddler got a game misconduct for that. Even so, hope Parayko is ok.

Yeah, Fiddlers should not be discriminated against. Fidlers either.

fonzz41 04-28-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 16777945)
Couple tweaks. They have a great goalie and a ton of young talent. Definitely wouldn't overhaul the roster at all. Maybe move krejci if they can find the right deal to clear up some finances.

Yeah, Krejci is a great guy but just doesn't bring a lot of value anymore. Unfortunately, he probably won't net a lot of value on the market either.

Carlo is excellent, and I love McQuaid.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16777949)

bye bye Eddie Lack?

fonzz41 04-28-2017 07:42 PM

Of course, Subban bobbles the puck at the blue line twice with under a minute left.

Lcsulla 04-28-2017 07:50 PM

Helluva game by Tarasenko, offensively and defensively. Damn would I want that guy on my team. Now lets go Oilers and build on this 1 goal lead, go back to Edmonton up 2 games!!!!!!

Roose13 04-28-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Says one of the biggest smug know-it-all wannabes in Tailgate.