Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 02-12-2018 07:50 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (Golden Knights are alright)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17014983)
For something that is actually relevant to the NHL and not comparing Phil Kessel to his sister, does anyone see a change in the NHL rink size soon to match international rules? As NHL moves towards a less physical game with more speed & skill in consideration I feel like the change has to be inevitable

First off, what else would we talk about?

Second, good question. I would love to see the NHL on the international sized rink. Especially with all the skill out there today. Can you imagine 3x3 OT - which is already THE BEST part of any hockey game - on a bigger ice sheet?

fonzz41 02-12-2018 07:52 PM

Serious talk about Women's hockey for a sec: I'm excited for it. Maybe more excited than I am for the Men's. The ladies seem to play with this chip on their shoulder all the time that makes them so fun to watch.

Lcsulla 02-12-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17014763)
I can see why you'd say that - she looks nothing like your sock.

:lol Well played Matty!

lockman21 02-12-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17014979)
Always on brand.

I knew you werenít butthurt but thereís no fun in not thinking that

But seriously, I donít see the appeal in Amanda Kessel. Fake hair and no upper lip doesnít do it for me

These are weird requirements for thinking someone is hot...

lockman21 02-12-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17014999)

Second, good question. I would love to see the NHL on the international sized rink. Especially with all the skill out there today. Can you imagine 3x3 OT - which is already THE BEST part of any hockey game - on a bigger ice sheet?

I honestly think moving to the international sized ice would have the opposite effect. I think it would get really...really...really boring.

fonzz41 02-12-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 17015043)
I honestly think moving to the international sized ice would have the opposite effect. I think it would get really...really...really boring.

Please see my sig, then consider your life choices.

Lcsulla 02-13-2018 01:22 AM

When you get blown out by the worst team in the NHL I think it is time to wave the white flag. Hawks need to make some major dumps at the deadline. Basically if your name is not Crawford, Keith, Seabrook, Kane, Anisimov, Schmaltz, Toews, DeBrincat, Rutta, Oesterle, Forsling or DuClair then try and trade them away. No way they make the playoffs now unless some sort of miracle happens (highly unlikely) you might as well be sellers at the deadline and free up cap space and add prospects. They are just terrible at this point. I actually thought they'd have a damn good season after beating the Pens 10-1 in their first game but it has been all downhill from there. Pathetic.

fonzz41 02-13-2018 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17015186)
if your name is not Crawford, Keith, Seabrook, Kane, Anisimov, Schmaltz, Toews, DeBrincat, Rutta, Oesterle, Forsling or DuClair then try and trade them away.

So, like half the team? ;)

If the Hawks want to get a good return as sellers, some big names will have to be on the table. Seabrook, DuClair, and Anisimov come to mind.

lockman21 02-13-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17015186)
When you get blown out by the worst team in the NHL I think it is time to wave the white flag. Hawks need to make some major dumps at the deadline. Basically if your name is not Crawford, Keith, Seabrook, Kane, Anisimov, Schmaltz, Toews, DeBrincat, Rutta, Oesterle, Forsling or DuClair then try and trade them away. No way they make the playoffs now unless some sort of miracle happens (highly unlikely) you might as well be sellers at the deadline and free up cap space and add prospects. They are just terrible at this point. I actually thought they'd have a damn good season after beating the Pens 10-1 in their first game but it has been all downhill from there. Pathetic.

So I’ve obviously been absent from the thread throughout this great Blackhawks collapse, but I’ll add my two cents by responding to this for anyone that’s interested.

1) You just listed half the team that’s untouchable :lol Also, I’d say most of those guys should be in play. You find someone that’s willing to take Anisomov’s contract, you ship him out without blinking. His usefulness with the Hawks is extremely limited. Schmaltz is your 2C of the future so what is Anisimov at that point? He’s shown he can’t play the 3C role, soooo what? Seabrook, if possible, should be unloaded for a bag of stale potato chips if someone is willing to take him. He’s still an NHL defensemen, but he’s a bottom pair guy at nearly $7m per year. I think the only guys you absolutely don’t trade (under any realistic scenario) are Kane, Toews, Crawford, Schmaltz and maybe DeBrincat. Other than that it should be open season.

2) Here’s the problem with all that though. I keep hearing from fans that “the Hawks should be sellers! Load up on prospects!” as if it’s that easy. First of all, who do the Hawks have that had any realistic value? Wingels? Outside that...no one really. Second, fucking everyone has a NMC. So even if you could trade Seabs for a bag of stale chips, he can veto it at any point. So that limits their negotiating power even more.

3) Stan has really backed this team into a corner. I really hope Sikura comes to play with them this year. He’s a solid looking prospect, but other than that, this will largely be the team we see next year thanks to the NMC in everyone’s contract. Anisimov’s NMC becomes a modified NTC this summer, so I would expect he’s unloaded in the summer, but doubt he is at the deadline.

4) Crawford clearly covered a lot of warts with this team. If he’s healthy, maybe this spiral doesn’t happen. Their goaltending has been BAD.

I don’t know. I’m beyond angry at this point. It’s just funny now. This is way worse than the 2006ish years when the Hawks were just bad because this team should be good. But they just aren’t. I don’t get it. I don’t get what’s wrong with Toews. I don’t get why Saad spends his life on the boards just playing with his dick instead of being productive. I just don’t get any of it.

The defense has been BAD. Keith looks like someone broke his brain. He’s just making dumb plays. I’ve never seen that from him. He still skates well, etc. but just makes dumb plays. Oesterle? Not great. Rutta? Bad. I like Conor Murphy. That’s about it.

When’s baseball season?

~Crashintome89~ 02-13-2018 09:43 AM

Duclair as an untouchable. :lol :lol :lol

kev87lads 02-13-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17015252)

Maybe John LECLAIR!!! amirite!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

TMoore4075 02-13-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17015252)

The dude who was just traded a few weeks ago.

Chumlee67 02-13-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17014999)

I don't think you'll ever see international sized rinks in the NHL. Owners will not lose seats to make a bigger rink.

The only way I see it happening is making teams do it when they build new arenas and how often will that happen.

Dont get me wrong, I think it would be great too, but I dont see it happening with how greedy most of these owners are.

TMoore4075 02-13-2018 12:04 PM

Olympic sized is never happening. Yeah too much money to be lost by the teams. Plus with how smart coaches and players are now, they'll find a way to take that advantage away. Maybe not 3on3 but regular 5on5 they'd figure it out.

fonzz41 02-13-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 17015221)
So Iíve obviously been absent from the thread throughout this great Blackhawks collapse, but Iíll add my two cents by responding to this for anyone thatís interested.

1) You just listed half the team thatís untouchable :lol Also, Iíd say most of those guys should be in play. You find someone thatís willing to take Anisomovís contract, you ship him out without blinking. His usefulness with the Hawks is extremely limited. Schmaltz is your 2C of the future so what is Anisimov at that point? Heís shown he canít play the 3C role, soooo what? Seabrook, if possible, should be unloaded for a bag of stale potato chips if someone is willing to take him. Heís still an NHL defensemen, but heís a bottom pair guy at nearly $7m per year. I think the only guys you absolutely donít trade (under any realistic scenario) are Kane, Toews, Crawford, Schmaltz and maybe DeBrincat. Other than that it should be open season.

2) Hereís the problem with all that though. I keep hearing from fans that ďthe Hawks should be sellers! Load up on prospects!Ē as if itís that easy. First of all, who do the Hawks have that had any realistic value? Wingels? Outside that...no one really. Second, fucking everyone has a NMC. So even if you could trade Seabs for a bag of stale chips, he can veto it at any point. So that limits their negotiating power even more.

3) Stan has really backed this team into a corner. I really hope Sikura comes to play with them this year. Heís a solid looking prospect, but other than that, this will largely be the team we see next year thanks to the NMC in everyoneís contract. Anisimovís NMC becomes a modified NTC this summer, so I would expect heís unloaded in the summer, but doubt he is at the deadline.

4) Crawford clearly covered a lot of warts with this team. If heís healthy, maybe this spiral doesnít happen. Their goaltending has been BAD.

I donít know. Iím beyond angry at this point. Itís just funny now. This is way worse than the 2006ish years when the Hawks were just bad because this team should be good. But they just arenít. I donít get it. I donít get whatís wrong with Toews. I donít get why Saad spends his life on the boards just playing with his dick instead of being productive. I just donít get any of it.

The defense has been BAD. Keith looks like someone broke his brain. Heís just making dumb plays. Iíve never seen that from him. He still skates well, etc. but just makes dumb plays. Oesterle? Not great. Rutta? Bad. I like Conor Murphy. Thatís about it.

Whenís baseball season?

:thumbsup If you want to get a good return, you have to move good players, plain and simple. We Avs fans went through a similar situation recently, as you all know. People were like, "we need to get younger and better! ... But don't trade Landeskog, MacKinnon, Duchene, Johnson, Barrie, Varlamov..." :lol. It finally got to the point last season where Sakic basically said that MacKinnon was realistically the only untouchable on the roster. And look what Sakic did: he pulled off one of the best trades in recent memory, but it took moving a very good, hard-working player who has played in all-star games, Olympic tournaments, etc.

Those contracts on the Hawks make it difficult though, like you said. The situation reminds me a bit of Tampa Bay's team of 10-whatever years ago. So much cash wrapped up in a few players (St. Louis, Lecavalier, Richards, Boyle) that it really set them back for a while. I get that you've got to give big money to big players, but I think GMs are having to learn a whole new way of sustainably building teams

One player I'm interested in watching as this adversity continues for the Hawks is Toews. He's been called one of the greatest captains (ever, in some circles), but it's easy to be a good captain when things are going well. I'm not knocking him at all, but I'm curious to see how he and the rest of the Hawks on-ice leadership handle this. Maybe he should get Gabe's phone number? :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumlee67 (Post 17015489)
I don't think you'll ever see international sized rinks in the NHL. Owners will not lose seats to make a bigger rink.

I agree. Owners don't want it, and it's probably not that big a deal for the players so they don't really push the issue.

TMoore4075 02-13-2018 12:48 PM

The Hawks problems come with success. Wings have had the same thing. You are good so you spend years trying to stay there and it can end up backfiring eventually. I mean if you don't go for it you can end up regretting it. Hawks were so bad for so long you want to stay on top as long as possible.

"Just trade guys away" if it was only that easy. What are you getting back? Are you having to eat salary? So if you do that then you replace that player with someone so you could end up spending just as much because you are paying the new guy and to not have the old guy there so why not just let the other contract expire? I've seen fans complaining about the Zetterberg deal like somehow Ken Holland should have known that 4 years after he signed the deal that the new CBA would have a cap recapture penalty. I'm sure those fans hated getting the Conn Smythe Trophy winner for a cap hit of $6mil. Howard's deal was great when he almost beat the Hawks but now it sucks. You sign these deals with the knowledge you have at the time. I mean knowing what I know now, I would have traded Datsyuk, Franzen, Hank, Howard and Kronwall in the summer of 2011. They haven't done much in terms of playoff success since then and it was before the new CBA so no cap recapture penalty. Shit, can you imagine what fans would have said then? I only have problems with the Nielsen and Helm deals from 2 years ago.

Roose13 02-13-2018 12:50 PM

Yea, nothing logically makes sense to push toward a bigger rink. From losing seats to how boring it'll make the games. It's an interesting thought though, especially because it would help with player safety I feel.

aeroshady 02-13-2018 12:57 PM

I personally would hate the bigger rink size. That is my least favorite part about the Olympics. I prefer NHL sized rinks as I feel it forces the action better. Players always look so small on the bigger rink.

Chumlee67 02-13-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17015518)
:thumbsup If you want to get a good return, you have to move good players, plain and simple. We Avs fans went through a similar situation recently, as you all know. People were like, "we need to get younger and better! ... But don't trade Landeskog, MacKinnon, Duchene, Johnson, Barrie, Varlamov..." :lol. It finally got to the point last season where Sakic basically said that MacKinnon was realistically the only untouchable on the roster. And look what Sakic did: he pulled off one of the best trades in recent memory, but it took moving a very good, hard-working player who has played in all-star games, Olympic tournaments, etc.

Those contracts on the Hawks make it difficult though, like you said. The situation reminds me a bit of Tampa Bay's team of 10-whatever years ago. So much cash wrapped up in a few players (St. Louis, Lecavalier, Richards, Boyle) that it really set them back for a while. I get that you've got to give big money to big players, but I think GMs are having to learn a whole new way of sustainably building teams

One player I'm interested in watching as this adversity continues for the Hawks is Toews. He's been called one of the greatest captains (ever, in some circles), but it's easy to be a good captain when things are going well. I'm not knocking him at all, but I'm curious to see how he and the rest of the Hawks on-ice leadership handle this. Maybe he should get Gabe's phone number? :lol

I agree. Owners don't want it, and it's probably not that big a deal for the players so they don't really push the issue.

:thumbsup

Brohan_Santana 02-13-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 17015036)
These are weird requirements for thinking someone is hot...

But I said she wasn't attractive....

dmbetc 02-13-2018 02:33 PM

Bigger isn't always better, amirite?

fonzz41 02-13-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 17015720)
Bigger isn't always better, amirite?

Thank goodness.

~Crashintome89~ 02-13-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17015737)
Thank goodness.

Says the guy who has five wives. They must be sticking around for something.

Brohan_Santana 02-13-2018 03:09 PM

Mike Fisher is better looking than Amanda Kessel

fonzz41 02-13-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17015764)
Says the guy who has five wives. They must be sticking around for something.

Hey, it's 7.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17015769)
Mike Underwood is better looking than Amanda Kessel

Agreed. Also, fixed the name.

aeroshady 02-13-2018 03:34 PM

Just googled. Amanda Kessel is pretty but I wouldn't call her crazy hot or anything. I think it is a bit harsh to call her unattractive though as she is a perfectly fine looking woman.

fonzz41 02-13-2018 03:37 PM

I mean, to Amanda's credit, there are very few that are hotter than Mike Underwood.

Lcsulla 02-13-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 17015221)
So Iíve obviously been absent from the thread throughout this great Blackhawks collapse, but Iíll add my two cents by responding to this for anyone thatís interested.

1) You just listed half the team thatís untouchable :lol Also, Iíd say most of those guys should be in play. You find someone thatís willing to take Anisomovís contract, you ship him out without blinking. His usefulness with the Hawks is extremely limited. Schmaltz is your 2C of the future so what is Anisimov at that point? Heís shown he canít play the 3C role, soooo what? Seabrook, if possible, should be unloaded for a bag of stale potato chips if someone is willing to take him. Heís still an NHL defensemen, but heís a bottom pair guy at nearly $7m per year. I think the only guys you absolutely donít trade (under any realistic scenario) are Kane, Toews, Crawford, Schmaltz and maybe DeBrincat. Other than that it should be open season.

2) Hereís the problem with all that though. I keep hearing from fans that ďthe Hawks should be sellers! Load up on prospects!Ē as if itís that easy. First of all, who do the Hawks have that had any realistic value? Wingels? Outside that...no one really. Second, fucking everyone has a NMC. So even if you could trade Seabs for a bag of stale chips, he can veto it at any point. So that limits their negotiating power even more.

3) Stan has really backed this team into a corner. I really hope Sikura comes to play with them this year. Heís a solid looking prospect, but other than that, this will largely be the team we see next year thanks to the NMC in everyoneís contract. Anisimovís NMC becomes a modified NTC this summer, so I would expect heís unloaded in the summer, but doubt he is at the deadline.

4) Crawford clearly covered a lot of warts with this team. If heís healthy, maybe this spiral doesnít happen. Their goaltending has been BAD.

I donít know. Iím beyond angry at this point. Itís just funny now. This is way worse than the 2006ish years when the Hawks were just bad because this team should be good. But they just arenít. I donít get it. I donít get whatís wrong with Toews. I donít get why Saad spends his life on the boards just playing with his dick instead of being productive. I just donít get any of it.

The defense has been BAD. Keith looks like someone broke his brain. Heís just making dumb plays. Iíve never seen that from him. He still skates well, etc. but just makes dumb plays. Oesterle? Not great. Rutta? Bad. I like Conor Murphy. Thatís about it.

Whenís baseball season?

I had to list that many guys because most of them have NMC's (Crow, Keith, Seabrook, Kane and Toews) so moving any of them would be a pain. To the others, they are young, guys like Oesterle, Rutta, DuClair, Forsling and Schmaltz and have plenty of energy and upside. I could go either way with Anisimov but outside of perhaps Bouma he has the best net front presence on the team.

Saad is the best candidate to move and get solid young talent. He has a lot of upside (not that much of it is showing this season), he is still young and has a notified NTC (there are ten teams he can be traded to) and he has 3 years remaining on his contract of 6mm a year. I think the Hawks could get probably an NHL ready guy, a couple top tier prospects and some draft picks in return.

I agree completely on Crawford hiding some flaws but the issue really boils down to the fact that this team is just not scoring goals for whomever is in net. Hopefully he and Forsling can come back at full steam and at least help the Hawks make at least a push for that last WC slot.

Yeah, the cap has us backed into a corner, he has navigated it great for a long time but this season the structural integrity is catching up and the results are bad.

Yeah, Keith has made a few boneheaded plays this season (what player has not?) but he is still the most solid defender on the team.

Been a frustrating season so far and being in probably the best division in hockey (all due respect to the Metro) is not helping one bit. Now essentially they need to almost win out for the rest of the year and get some help from other teams just to make the playoffs and frankly it sucks. I am still a die hard fan who watches every game and will continue to do so but somewhere inside of me a small alarm is going off about heir window of opportunity, it is like the 2002 Yankees, you knew you had some great players but getting that extra mile to actually win a championship would involve some major moves and additions - sure the Yankees won again in 2009 but that involved some rebuilding and a ton of spending on FA's in a league where the cap was far higher than the NHL - plus if you exceeded it you got a slap on the wrist so to speak in the form of a fine the team was happy to pay.

Lcsulla 02-13-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17015798)
Just googled. Amanda Kessel is pretty but I wouldn't call her crazy hot or anything. I think it is a bit harsh to call her unattractive though as she is a perfectly fine looking woman.

Yeah, she is certainly no runway model but she is attractive and seems like a down to earth good person - who can also play hockey, which considerably raises her 'rating' for guys in here (who still play when we can) I would think.

~Crashintome89~ 02-13-2018 05:43 PM

All of this Hawks stuff is completely ridiculous. There is no way they're missing the playoffs this year.