Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 06-25-2016 09:04 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16486359)
:thumbsup the fact that you believed it says a lot about the NY Rangers history. I defended them a few days ago, but I have realized the traditional trend everyone was talking about :lol

Hah rumors have them going to make a big offer.

TMoore4075 06-27-2016 08:52 AM

So who gets into HHOF today? I think Lindros finally makes it in. The names that are first year eligble....yeah. Hell with the names on there, Chris Osgood could find his way in. I don't think he does but this would be the year.

barbogast 06-27-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16488457)
So who gets into HHOF today? I think Lindros finally makes it in. The names that are first year eligble....yeah. Hell with the names on there, Chris Osgood could find his way in. I don't think he does but this would be the year.

I don't think Osgood goes in. Too many other more deserving names in my opinion. I think Recchi goes in, I'd also like to see Andreychuk go in. I also think it's Lindros' time. I also think Alex Mogilny deserves some consideration.

Very strange to consider names like Kiprusoff and Hejduk being eligible. I'm starting to feel very old when I hear stuff like that.

TMoore4075 06-27-2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16488476)
I don't think Osgood goes in. Too many other more deserving names in my opinion. I think Recchi goes in, I'd also like to see Andreychuk go in. I also think it's Lindros' time. I also think Alex Mogilny deserves some consideration.

Very strange to consider names like Kiprusoff and Hejduk being eligible. I'm starting to feel very old when I hear stuff like that.

To the last part, I thought the same thing. All the reports were all about Makarov and Lindros and Recchi so I was like "ok well who is first year eligible?" Looked it up and saw those names and just thought woooooow. I remember Hejduk's rookie year...shit.

There is an argument for all the guys you mentioned but none of them are like "yep for sure in." Lindros had his injuries, Mogilny had some great years early in his career and then it kinda fell off comparatively, Andreychuk had good numbers but he played for 100 years. I don't think Ozzie gets in but I always hate the "he played on good teams" argument. He's no Roy but Roy struggled more when the team around got worse in Montreal. If Roy doesn't get traded to play with Sakic, Forsberg, Miller, Deadmarsh, Lemieux, Blake, Bourque, DeVries, Hejduk, Drury etc...where does his career go? Again, not saying Ozzie is as good as Roy but no one sits here and says Roy's last 7 years are worth less because he played with a bunch of hall of famers.

My votes go Lindros, Recchi and if there is a 3rd...Mogilny.

barbogast 06-27-2016 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16488487)
To the last part, I thought the same thing. All the reports were all about Makarov and Lindros and Recchi so I was like "ok well who is first year eligible?" Looked it up and saw those names and just thought woooooow. I remember Hejduk's rookie year...shit.

There is an argument for all the guys you mentioned but none of them are like "yep for sure in." Lindros had his injuries, Mogilny had some great years early in his career and then it kinda fell off comparatively, Andreychuk had good numbers but he played for 100 years. I don't think Ozzie gets in but I always hate the "he played on good teams" argument. He's no Roy but Roy struggled more when the team around got worse in Montreal. If Roy doesn't get traded to play with Sakic, Forsberg, Miller, Deadmarsh, Lemieux, Blake, Bourque, DeVries, Hejduk, Drury etc...where does his career go? Again, not saying Ozzie is as good as Roy but no one sits here and says Roy's last 7 years are worth less because he played with a bunch of hall of famers.

My votes go Lindros, Recchi and if there is a 3rd...Mogilny.

I agree about the good teams argument. Fact is, most elite players spend a large chunk, if not all, of their careers on great teams surrounded by other great players. This argument does seen to pop up more with regards to goalies and I've never understood that.

I think the only guy I mentioned that's a "yep, for sure" is Mark Recchi. He absolutely deserves it.

kev87lads 06-27-2016 10:13 AM

Would be a good day for Flyers fans (rare!) if Lindros and Recchi can get in.

TMoore4075 06-27-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16488515)
Would be a good day for Flyers fans (rare!) if Lindros and Recchi can get in.

Watching all the videos of Recchi hoisting the Cups with Pit, Carolina and Boston is gonna be good?

barbogast 06-27-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16488519)
Watching all the videos of Recchi hoisting the Cups with Pit, Carolina and Boston is gonna be good?

:lol I was gonna say...

Although when I think of Mark Recchi I do think Flyers first obviously

TMoore4075 06-27-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16488541)
:lol I was gonna say...

Although when I think of Mark Recchi I do think Flyers first obviously

I actually don't think of any particular team with him which is weird. When I started watching hockey was about the time he was traded to the Habs so I remember him there but then traded to Philly and played for everyone it seems like. I forgot he was put on waivers in 2007. He could have said this is it then but stayed with it and got another Cup.

barbogast 06-27-2016 10:49 AM

Wow yeah, just looked up his career stats and you're right, I guess I'd forgotten how much he moved around. Still, when I think Recchi I think Flyers, then Canadiens. His early career stints in Pittsburgh and Philly were slightly before I could really understand the game. Earliest I can remember, he was a Canadien. I definitely remember him moving from MTL to PHI, and I associate him mostly with the Flyers.

Lcsulla 06-27-2016 11:36 AM

Recchi and Andreychuk should get in this year, both were close to point per game guys with a bunch of awards, accolades and great stats which were high on the all time lists. Osgood should be a no brainer with his numbers, awards and accolades. Hell - between those 3 they have a combined 8 Cup rings to their name (7 if you discount the one Andreychuk got as a coach) and a boatload of all star selections and appearances. Mogilny would be my fourth choice because he averaged well over a point per game but I fear his 3 years in the KHL may work against him this year. Rounding out my top 5 would be Lindros (another guy who averaged well over a point per game) but I think his lack of games played due to injuries and his general attitude when he was younger might work against him. Just my two cents, all of them are deserving but when it comes to voting I can never tell so who knows.

kev87lads 06-27-2016 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16488519)

The Flyers don't win Cups. We know this. So that doesn't bother me. Only Richards and Carter winning so soon after leaving has been annoying.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...l?mobile=false

Parts of 10 years as a Flyer. Not saying he should "go in" as a Flyer. Just that we consider him an all time Flyer. Same as Lindros, obviously.

JRS1386 06-27-2016 01:30 PM

Would love for Recchi and Lindros to get in. Recchi should be a lock, Lindros should get in, because he had HoF talent, but I don't know if he does or not

TMoore4075 06-27-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16488955)
Would love for Recchi and Lindros to get in. Recchi should be a lock, Lindros should get in, because he had HoF talent, but I don't know if he does or not

I think he does this year just because of the lack of locks in their first year of being eligible. Sorry Hejduk and Kipper, neither of you were close to Lindros. If you had big names eligible then he might be SOL. Sucks that something like that comes into play but it's the reality.

barbogast 06-27-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16488690)
The Flyers don't win Cups. We know this. So that doesn't bother me. Only Richards and Carter winning so soon after leaving has been annoying.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...l?mobile=false

Parts of 10 years as a Flyer. Not saying he should "go in" as a Flyer. Just that we consider him an all time Flyer. Same as Lindros, obviously.

That's pretty much the criteria for "going in as" whichever team though, yes? Wherever you played the longest? Or is it player's choice? I know Gartner is in as a Capital even though he only played just about half his career there, however he was there longer than he was anywhere else. That's why I thought that's what the criteria is. I could be wrong.

TMoore4075 06-27-2016 02:15 PM

I need Friday to get here. Want some free agent frenzy.

Drew Miller has resigned with the Wings for one year and 1mil. Can't argue that one. Great 4th liner guy and PK guy.

fonzz41 06-27-2016 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16489019)
I think he does this year just because of the lack of locks in their first year of being eligible. Sorry Hejduk and Kipper, neither of you were close to Lindros. If you had big names eligible then he might be SOL. Sucks that something like that comes into play but it's the reality.

I would be very surprised if Hejduk ever gets into the HoF. Love the guy, but maybe I just have lofty standards for what constitutes a Hall of Famer.

So do they always have to induct a certain number of players into the HoF every year? I mean, it seems like they let some guys in just because it's a weak class (ahem, Cicarelli). Could they ever just be like, "meh, I think we'll only take three guys this year."?

I don't know. Total kudos to warriors like Dave Andreychuk and stuff. But is he really a HALL OF FAME hockey player? I dunno.

TMoore4075 06-27-2016 03:10 PM

You can have a max of 4 players (males) elected but I don't think there is a minimum. The players needs to get to a certain # or % of votes.

kev87lads 06-27-2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16489054)
That's pretty much the criteria for "going in as" whichever team though, yes? Wherever you played the longest? Or is it player's choice? I know Gartner is in as a Capital even though he only played just about half his career there, however he was there longer than he was anywhere else. That's why I thought that's what the criteria is. I could be wrong.

Good question. No idea what the criteria for going "in as" is. I'm sure we can find it.

Roose13 06-27-2016 03:53 PM

Lindros is one of those players where I agree with both sides of whether or not he deserves to be in the HOF. I hope Recchi gets in. I definitely identify him as a Flyer more than any other team he's been on.

TMoore4075 06-27-2016 04:07 PM

Sounding like Lindros will be getting in.

fonzz41 06-27-2016 05:00 PM

Eric Lindros, Sergei Makarov, Pat Quinn and Rogie Vachon.

Very nice.

TMoore4075 06-27-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16489384)
Eric Lindros, Sergei Makarov, Pat Quinn and Rogie Vachon.

Very nice.

Vachon seems a little weird, but I'm ok with the rest. Still think Recchi should have been in.

trd1610 06-27-2016 09:54 PM

Shaw 6 years to the Habs

JRS1386 06-28-2016 01:01 AM

Recchi not in is a fucking joke. Glad Lindros is in though

JRS1386 06-28-2016 01:31 AM

I have someone on facebook arguing that Lindros was more qualified that Recchi to get into the HoF. Seriously :lol

dmbetc 06-28-2016 01:51 AM

Happy Birthday Roose!! (Still your bday in Cali)

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2...to1_r1_400.gif
http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2...aq0to3_400.gif
http://sonsofpenn.com/wp-content/upl.../ghostgoal.gif
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2...aq0to1_400.gif

TMoore4075 06-28-2016 08:54 AM

Happy belated Roose.

The Shaw deal, he wasn't gonna be getting $2mil we knew that so the # isn't THAT bad but it's the 6 years. No way is he worth that commitment. I'd do 3 years at that price but no way 6. They only have 8mil in salary so I don't see that as a landing spot for Stamkos unless Subban is on the move by Friday. If Stammer isn't signed in TBL by tomorrow, I think they are done. At noon Friday Tampa can no longer offer the 8th year so when it's a level playing field in terms of years and TO, BUF and DET can offer 10-12mil and TB can only do 8.5, they can't compete with that.

kev87lads 06-28-2016 10:28 AM

Forgot to tell you guys. Watched "Goon" the other night. Terrible movie. So whatever rankings of hockey movies I had from last month still stand.

Lcsulla 06-28-2016 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16490346)
Happy belated Roose.

The Shaw deal, he wasn't gonna be getting $2mil we knew that so the # isn't THAT bad but it's the 6 years. No way is he worth that commitment. I'd do 3 years at that price but no way 6.

Not sure the length of the contract is that big of an issue to be honest, Shaw is only 24 and will be 31 when the contract is done plus he did not request a no move clause. Basically you are getting a very gritty and versatile player in the prime of his career and you have him locked up pretty cheap with the option of moving him if circumstances change. He has great netfront presence, he has played in plenty of big games including a number of game sevens, won two cups, played in another WCF that went the full seven but turned out ending up in LA's favor - plus he is great at sticking up for teammates. Basically the Habs just locked up a guy who has been there and done that in every way possible who can lead a team that is rebuilding because despite his relative young age he will provide a pretty cheap veteran presence that will rub off in the clubhouse. Not really a bad signing IMO.