Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TheLastPig 06-16-2016 03:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16469322)
I believe fleurys nmc is for 12 teams. Gotta think he is gone though. Just the way he lifted the cup.

Also wouldnt mind getting kunitz cap off the books.

Im not sure the way he lifted the cup has anything to do with him staying around. He didnt feel part of the playoff run, thats understandable.

Also, Kunitz has one more year on his contract, I dont see him going anywhere, especially after how he played in the playoffs. Getting him onto a 3rd line role would be ideal.

Roose13 06-16-2016 03:19 PM

Flyers will buy out Umberger. So happy.

hailtopitt 06-16-2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16469457)
Flyers will buy out Umberger. So happy.

probably because he was celebrating the Penguins victory

he is a die hard fan after all

oh, and he's under performed...there's that too

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16469468)
probably because he was celebrating the Penguins victory

he is a die hard fan after all

oh, and he's under performed...there's that too

Happens after you get lit up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_caFm6kHORI

fonzz41 06-16-2016 04:16 PM

Kopitar gets the C in LA. Big surprise.

Interested to see what goes down with Brown. I hope he lands in a good situation. Seems like a change of scenery is needed at this point.

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16469602)

Interested to see what goes down with Brown. I hope he lands in a good situation. Seems like a change of scenery is needed at this point.

Who is gonna take that contract though? I think he's in LA another year and then gets dealt to Vegas.

fonzz41 06-16-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16469635)
Who is gonna take that contract though? I think he's in LA another year and then gets dealt to Vegas.

Vegas was on my mind as well.

hailtopitt 06-16-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16469524)

:eek oh my god i never saw that hit before

woof

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16469602)

super awkward...im sure both guys will be professionals about it but they're still human

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16469661)
Vegas was on my mind as well.

Vegas could be a semi-decent team to start. Plenty of goalies out there who should be available, plus will get some decent talent in the expansion draft and get a leader like Brown.

fonzz41 06-16-2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16469671)
Vegas could be a semi-decent team to start. Plenty of goalies out there who should be available, plus will get some decent talent in the expansion draft and get a leader like Brown.

Yeah, a new start on a brand new team with him already being an experienced leader... actually sounds like it could be pretty refreshing for a competitor like Brown who seems to like challenges.

Sarah, thoughts?

And I agree about the goalie market... so many good goalies in the NHL today.

fonzz41 06-16-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16469524)

One of the all-time classics.

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 04:48 PM

Wings will be pretty good with this expansion thing. Before any additions this offseason cough Stamkos cough I'm looking at this for them based off generalfanagers website.

Zetterberg, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Tatar, Sheehan, Athanasiou, Glendenning as the 7 forwards. Kronwall, DeKeyser, Marchenko on D and of course Mrazek the goalie. The only big name left open is Mike Green and the so-so names are Jurco and Pulkkinen, although one of those two could be gone this summer. Of course if they sign a free agent or something it could become more difficult but right now....that I can live with.

fonzz41 06-16-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16469692)
Wings will be pretty good with this expansion thing. Before any additions this offseason cough Stamkos cough I'm looking at this for them based off generalfanagers website.

Zetterberg, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Tatar, Sheehan, Athanasiou, Glendenning as the 7 forwards. Kronwall, DeKeyser, Marchenko on D and of course Mrazek the goalie. The only big name left open is Mike Green and the so-so names are Jurco and Pulkkinen, although one of those two could be gone this summer. Of course if they sign a free agent or something it could become more difficult but right now....that I can live with.

Isn't it sad that I'm on generalfanager and I'm having a hard time picking up to 7 forwards to protect on the Avs? I've got like 4 and the rest I'm like, meh... I guess you can have 'em. :lol

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16469667)
:eek oh my god i never saw that hit before

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16469691)
One of the all-time classics.

I remember it like yesterday. Sitting in my living room when it happened and I just yelled "holy shit!"

The aftermath when Commodore tried get revenge and went into the Wings bench and then roughing up Franzen, left Zetterberg open to score a goal. So much fun for me. That CBJ team was beyond over-matched. I miss when the Wings were that good. Hearing that Holland is really working hard to revamp this team makes me happy. Hope he can get something done.

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16469698)
Isn't it sad that I'm on generalfanager and I'm having a hard time picking up to 7 forwards to protect on the Avs? I've got like 4 and the rest I'm like, meh... I guess you can have 'em. :lol

LOL I'm gonna go look at the Avs now just for that. I was worried for it at first but ya know...not bad for my team. Hell, even if they get a big free agent or trade, leaving Tatar unprotected is probably what happens and I can sort of live with that if it means they have someone like Stammer or whoever. I'm sure stupid Wings fans would say Athanasiou or Glendenning but you need those type of players on your 3rd and 4th lines.

edit: Beauchemin has a NMC??? HAHAHAHAHAHA

fonzz41 06-16-2016 04:58 PM

If any of you have an hour or two to burn (I don't), this is the site Tim and I are talking about.

You can go through all 30 teams and select who you would protect on each team, then go on to do an actual expansion draft based on the unprotected players. If I had a free afternoon, I'd be all over this! :lol

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

fonzz41 06-16-2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16469716)
LOL I'm gonna go look at the Avs now just for that. I was worried for it at first but ya know...not bad for my team. Hell, even if they get a big free agent or trade, leaving Tatar unprotected is probably what happens and I can sort of live with that if it means they have someone like Stammer or whoever. I'm sure stupid Wings fans would say Athanasiou or Glendenning but you need those type of players on your 3rd and 4th lines.

edit: Beauchemin has a NMC??? HAHAHAHAHAHA

:lol right?!

In the end I went with the guys I think provide core talent in certain areas. Not just scoring. Duchene, Landeskog, Soderberg, Matthias, Mitchell, MacKinnon, Grigorenko (I would protect Boedker, but I'm kinda assuming he's gone anyways).
Defense: Johnson and Beauch already protected, plus Zadorov
Goalie: Pickard

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16469727)
:lol right?!

In the end I went with the guys I think provide core talent in certain areas. Not just scoring. Duchene, Landeskog, Soderberg, Matthias, Mitchell, MacKinnon, Grigorenko (I would protect Boedker, but I'm kinda assuming he's gone anyways).
Defense: Johnson and Beauch already protected, plus Zadorov
Goalie: Pickard

Not Tyson Barrie? I figured he'd be a given.

fonzz41 06-16-2016 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16469731)
Not Tyson Barrie? I figured he'd be a given.

I like Barrie and think he adds a lot in terms of an offensive presence (he's pretty poor in his own zone). In the end, Zadorov has more upside. If he develops well, he could be Rob Blake-esque.

Now, if Beauch wasn't protected, Barrie would for sure get protected.

dmbetc 06-16-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16469689)
Yeah, a new start on a brand new team with him already being an experienced leader... actually sounds like it could be pretty refreshing for a competitor like Brown who seems to like challenges.

Sarah, thoughts?

And I agree about the goalie market... so many good goalies in the NHL today.

I mentioned back when the rumors started of Brown being stripped of the Captaincy (and I believe even before, during his declining season) that he would stay a King until the expansion draft. A change in scenery will definitely help. I also know that him and Sutter do not have the best of relationships.

I know that he was very frustrated that his work in the off season last year did not translate on ice and it got to his head. He hasn't always been a top player but he lost track of what his is good at, I think.

It will be very interesting to see what his performance is like this season. Without the pressure of the C (don't think he had much pressure though), could benefit him greatly.

His captaincy shined more off ice than on ice. He was a strong leader and even though the letter will disappear from his sweater, the respect from his teammates won't. The Kings organization is very tight, other teams have modeled their locker room from the Kings. This is a hard adjustment for everyone involved for sure.

fonzz41 06-16-2016 05:40 PM

This could be humangus big:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/hu...return-to-nhl/

fonzz41 06-16-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16469742)
I mentioned back when the rumors started of Brown being stripped of the Captaincy (and I believe even before, during his declining season) that he would stay a King until the expansion draft. A change in scenery will definitely help. I also know that him and Sutter do not have the best of relationships.

I know that he was very frustrated that his work in the off season last year did not translate on ice and it got to his head. He hasn't always been a top player but he lost track of what his is good at, I think.

It will be very interesting to see what his performance is like this season. Without the pressure of the C (don't think he had much pressure though), could benefit him greatly.

His captaincy shined more off ice than on ice. He was a strong leader and even though the letter will disappear from his sweater, the respect from his teammates won't. The Kings organization is very tight, other teams have modeled their locker room from the Kings. This is a hard adjustment for everyone involved for sure.

Thanks for this insight. :thumbsup

It must be hard to pull yourself out of a spiral like that, and if it's not going well with the coach, it may seem like the grass is greener. Hopefully he can put together a satisfying (for him) year, and then see where that takes him. When he's on, he's an inspirational hockey player in his own unique way.

I'll be rooting for him.

hailtopitt 06-16-2016 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16469800)

not sure i could bear it

coldengrey12 06-16-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16469124)
i'm not sure why it's all of a sudden a "severed" head

that's like saying the Fighting Irish logo reminds me of one of my drunken ancestor who drank himself to death during the potato famine

it's a ridiculous jump to make

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16469177)
I do not see that at all, in fact I view it more as a tribute than anything. The Blackhawks were founded by a major in the 86th infantry division (nicknamed the Blackhawk Division in honor of a fallen (KIA) member of the Sauk tribe) in WW1. Additionally, there is loads of history and traditions of the Sauk tribe in Illinois

Lcsulla is right about the origins of the Blackhawks' name.

Fwiw — and for my part, I'll let it go here — I find all of the logos jrkarger posted offensive.

I'm a Chiefs fan and I absolutely would support the team picking a new name.

All it takes is one asshole like this to show why this is a terrible tradition that needs to stop.

"It's always been that way" is a dumb not to change.

Naming teams after groups of people is an idea that has passed its expiration date. We should all aspire to be better and treat each other better than that.

jrkarger 06-17-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 16469930)
Fwiw and for my part, I'll let it go here I find all of the logos jrkarger posted offensive.

Kudos for being consistent.

That what I was getting at (not specifically you but the national conversation as a whole). I don't understanding lamenting the Blackhawks and (to a much larger national conversation extent) the Redskins while the others seem to get a pass; or much less attention.

TMoore4075 06-17-2016 10:33 AM

I want the offseason to get going already. Of course it will only pickup for about 2-3 weeks and then be dead until September but...I need something.

salrx95 06-17-2016 11:13 AM

Garth Snow was nhl Sirius at 9 this and his words, "We wish Kyle nothing but the best" is all you need to know that Okposo is gone.

He said we won't move up for draft and he said he was happy with our prospects and doesn't see us moving any of them. I guess that means any help for JT will come thru FA.

TMoore4075 06-17-2016 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16470749)
Garth Snow was nhl Sirius at 9 this and his words, "We wish Kyle nothing but the best" is all you need to know that Okposo is gone.

He said we won't move up for draft and he said he was happy with our prospects and doesn't see us moving any of them. I guess that means any help for JT will come thru FA.

Okposo is gonna get paid so I can't blame him but not much out there for UFAs. Stammer ain't happening if you want to keep JT so Ladd? Backes? I'm not sure either of those help the Isles.

TMoore4075 06-17-2016 11:24 AM

Pavel announcement tomorrow at noon. If he was coming back, he wouldn't be doing this. Also someone I follow on twitter made a point that wonder if this means they have a landing space for his contract. Pavel said he didn't want to fuck them (I'm paraphrasing) so it's very possible they have a deal in place. Guessing Coyotes will get his contract. Just wonder what the Wings had to give along with it. Pick or player?

salrx95 06-17-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16470766)
Okposo is gonna get paid so I can't blame him but not much out there for UFAs. Stammer ain't happening if you want to keep JT so Ladd? Backes? I'm not sure either of those help the Isles.

Haven't seen a ufa list yet but I'm not sure I want any of those for the price it would take. If we stand pat and resign Franz and Martin, which I hope we do (think yes on franz but martin I'm iffy on), then we are not an improved team unless some of the kids take the next step.