Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 05-07-2017 09:22 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
But hey, Griffins up 2-1 on the Wolves so score for me. It's the little things that mater. Very little since it's the AHL.

barbogast 05-07-2017 09:28 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16783754)
I've been dealing with some personal stuff & some family issues the past couple days. So my hot takes have been cooled. Maybe I'll have some time soon

Glad the Caps won, but when stuff happens in personal life, sports takes a back seat. One game at a time. One day at a time. Be safe everyone

Sorry, dude. Hope things turn better for you.

TMoore4075 05-07-2017 10:51 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
A lot of shit going down in people's lives around here. Hoping everything gets better.

JRS1386 05-07-2017 12:02 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Best of luck to you Brohan to get through the shit you are going through

Dramageek 05-07-2017 12:40 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16783754)
I've been dealing with some personal stuff & some family issues the past couple days. So my hot takes have been cooled. Maybe I'll have some time soon

Glad the Caps won, but when stuff happens in personal life, sports takes a back seat. One game at a time. One day at a time. Be safe everyone

Very sorry to hear that, friend. Good thoughts your way. I know we argue Caps and Pens a lot, but I wish no one here any ill will. Our lives before games always.

Here's to a good game tomorrow night. Of course I hope the Pens win, but you all know that!

Climb2safety 05-07-2017 02:55 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16783754)
I've been dealing with some personal stuff & some family issues the past couple days. So my hot takes have been cooled. Maybe I'll have some time soon

Glad the Caps won, but when stuff happens in personal life, sports takes a back seat. One game at a time. One day at a time. Be safe everyone

Peace Bro.

The Caps finally looked decent. Still had some breakdown and Holtby bailed them out a ton but hung in and got it done.

Much improved Game for #8.

TheLastPig 05-07-2017 04:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Not sure what you saw from Ovie to say much improved. He was largely invisible again. I think he only had 3 shots. Got a lucky bounce back to himself after a blocked shot on his goal.

hailtopitt 05-07-2017 04:24 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16783963)
Not sure what you saw from Ovie to say much improved. He was largely invisible again. I think he only had 3 shots. Got a lucky bounce back to himself after a blocked shot on his goal.



I agree it was a super lucky bounce but he took advantage and scored a huge goal. Credit is due, was a hell of a shot.

I still think Ovie needs to get to another level though if the Caps are going to win.

cry_minarets458 05-07-2017 04:50 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Pens D was sloppy when Wash brought ample pressure and urgency. And it provided three goals. Fleury can't stop everything; pens been outshot all but 2(?) games. They haven't made it easy for him between the posts. D has to step up big this game. Just too sloppy last game in the third, when it ultimately mattered

Roose13 05-07-2017 06:30 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Hoping I'm home in time to catch the end of the Edmonton/Anaheim game.

dmbetc 05-07-2017 06:58 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Good for the Preds! They remind me a lot of the '12 Kings.

TMoore4075 05-07-2017 07:05 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
So awesome for the Preds and their fans. Again this is what is great about our playoffs. Anyone can win.

Roose13 05-07-2017 07:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Preds! Good for them, I guess. Still mad they matched the Shea Weber contract :lol:lol

Climb2safety 05-07-2017 08:38 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16783963)
Not sure what you saw from Ovie to say much improved. He was largely invisible again. I think he only had 3 shots. Got a lucky bounce back to himself after a blocked shot on his goal.

I though he was more of a presence and he played with a lot more effort. A goal, 4 shots, 6 hits 1 block.

The goal was key.

Edmonton explosion, wow!

How is this goalie still in?

daveshookme 05-07-2017 08:39 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
What the FUCK is happening in Edmonton. None of those goals were particularly difficult shots.

TheLastPig 05-07-2017 09:03 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Fuck the ducks. Go oils

TMoore4075 05-07-2017 09:13 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
So what's everyone watching tonight? This game is over.

barbogast 05-07-2017 09:15 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784050)
So what's everyone watching tonight? This game is over.

I mean, they did just blow a 3-0 lead last game

But yeah this one should be done. Go Oilers!

dmbetc 05-07-2017 09:27 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
God it's so nice to see this ass whopping.

Grabbing tickets to game 7 in Anaheim. Will be wearing my McDavid All-Star jersey.

JRS1386 05-07-2017 09:28 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Oilers :lol what the fuck is going on

~Crashintome89~ 05-07-2017 09:45 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16783754)
I've been dealing with some personal stuff & some family issues the past couple days. So my hot takes have been cooled. Maybe I'll have some time soon

Glad the Caps won, but when stuff happens in personal life, sports takes a back seat. One game at a time. One day at a time. Be safe everyone

Sorry to hear that, bud. Stay strong. And who knows, maybe the Pens will turn into the 2010 Bruins and blow this.

daveshookme 05-07-2017 09:48 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
:lol :lol how do the ducks miss that wide open net from the slot? :lol :lol

TheLastPig 05-07-2017 09:51 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
lol Nashville news

https://twitter.com/someonesanidiot/...81103067820032

Dramageek 05-07-2017 09:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
I don't know Anaheim. 5 goals with the goalie pulled might be a bit much. :lol

Dramageek 05-07-2017 09:54 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784069)

nOObs! :lol

Roose13 05-07-2017 11:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Ducks got that ass beat.

trsorrell 05-08-2017 03:08 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16784074)
nOObs! :lol

Hey now, our local news stations may be terrible, but our team isn't ;) Let's go Preds!

kev87lads 05-08-2017 03:32 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Another late night post by me!!!

Still the 7th here. Happy anniversary c-ville peeps!!!

dmbetc 05-08-2017 04:25 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16784179)
Another late night post by me!!!

Still the 7th here. Happy anniversary c-ville peeps!!!

Holy crap man! Best weekend. :eiffeltower

JRS1386 05-08-2017 07:09 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Indeed it was

swordo84 05-08-2017 08:42 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Lol Ducks - amiright?!?! Couldn't watch the game 'cause I was at the TAB show but was thrilled to see the score when I checked at set break.

TMoore4075 05-08-2017 09:18 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Always amazes me that sometimes these games come out of nowhere for teams and pretty much everything goes in. That reminded me of Wings/Sharks in 2010 where Franzen had a hat trick in the first period and it was 5-0. Makes the rest of the game much easier to watch.

barbogast 05-08-2017 09:21 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16784179)
Another late night post by me!!!

Still the 7th here. Happy anniversary c-ville peeps!!!

Wow that was a year ago already. That was great fun.

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 10:08 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Nerves already building for tonight. Gonna be a long day at the office.

unccrombie 05-08-2017 10:14 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784201)
Always amazes me that sometimes these games come out of nowhere for teams and pretty much everything goes in. That reminded me of Wings/Sharks in 2010 where Franzen had a hat trick in the first period and it was 5-0. Makes the rest of the game much easier to watch.

JG Pageau remembers

barbogast 05-08-2017 10:21 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784240)
Nerves already building for tonight. Gonna be a long day at the office.

Eh. My nerves are in check. It is what it is. I've mentally prepared for it already. I hope I'm proven wrong but I don't expect it.

Also I should re emphasize that I have such little faith in this team that even if they win tonight I would still fully expect a game 7 loss

TMoore4075 05-08-2017 10:21 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Positive of no playoffs...no nerves whatsoever. lol

aeroshady 05-08-2017 10:24 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784251)
Eh. My nerves are in check. It is what it is. I've mentally prepared for it already. I hope I'm proven wrong but I don't expect it.

Also I should re emphasize that I have such little faith in this team that even if they win tonight I would still fully expect a game 7 loss

This is the only way to feel going into a game 6 when your team is down 3-2. I will be approaching the Rangers game tomorrow night with the same feeling.

aeroshady 05-08-2017 10:25 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784253)
Positive of no playoffs...no nerves whatsoever. lol

:thumbsup

I know it sounds crazy, but the Rangers missing the playoffs for 8 years in a row is what made me a huge fan of hockey overall. I watched every game of the playoffs and was carefree!

barbogast 05-08-2017 10:27 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
It will suck to watch yet another promising season come to an early close, there's no doubt about that. But I've been through it, it'll be fine.

TMoore4075 05-08-2017 10:29 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16784260)
:thumbsup

I know it sounds crazy, but the Rangers missing the playoffs for 8 years in a row is what made me a huge fan of hockey overall. I watched every game of the playoffs and was carefree!

No I get it. You can just enjoy some good hockey.

aeroshady 05-08-2017 10:40 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784265)
No I get it. You can just enjoy some good hockey.

Yup. People sometimes forget that I didn't really experience my first Rangers Playoff game as a die-hard fan until 2006 (in a series they got swept by the Devils in).

Playoff hockey was way more enjoyable when the Rangers were not in it.

The difference is that it is more rewarding and gives you a life high when your team is in it and wins a big series. The Rangers winning the ECF in 2014 is probably my best sports moment. I will never forget what that felt like!

kev87lads 05-08-2017 12:10 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784253)
Positive of no playoffs...no nerves whatsoever. lol

So much this.

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 12:33 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Daley out tonight with a lower body injury. Fucking fuck fuck.

Dramageek 05-08-2017 12:37 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by trsorrell (Post 16784173)
Hey now, our local news stations may be terrible, but our team isn't ;) Let's go Preds!

Ha, I'm just messing with ya. Nashville is a fun team having a fun season. Welcome to the NHL thread! Where President's Trophies and Banners have mattered since at least 2009.

I'm a little anxious about tonight. It's in my nature. But Mike Sullivan-led Pens teams don't lose back-to-back games often. I'm really hoping they pull out the victory, preferably without blowing the lead by committing three consecutive delay of game penalties like last year.

^ That was kind of inevitable given the way this season has gone. :lol Better score a lot tonight!

TMoore4075 05-08-2017 12:39 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Even if the Caps win tonight, I would still pick the Pens to win game 7. Typically when a team comes back to tie a series after being down 3-1, you pick that team. Sorry Caps....but until you prove me wrong....

barbogast 05-08-2017 01:46 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784470)
Even if the Caps win tonight, I would still pick the Pens to win game 7. Typically when a team comes back to tie a series after being down 3-1, you pick that team. Sorry Caps....but until you prove me wrong....

I think a lot of Caps fans probably share this sentiment.

aeroshady 05-08-2017 02:20 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784539)
I think a lot of Caps fans probably share this sentiment.

I go the other way. Caps win tonight and I think they take the series.

I just think they will lose tonight though. I will be really impressed if they get back to DC for a game 7.

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 02:23 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
I think tonight is a coin flip and if it comes up Caps then game 7 will be another coin flip.

Caps need two flips to go their way, Pens need one.

barbogast 05-08-2017 02:23 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16784554)
I go the other way. Caps win tonight and I think they take the series.

I just think they will lose tonight though. I will be really impressed if they get back to DC for a game 7.

Oh don't get me wrong I fully expect a loss tonight

barbogast 05-08-2017 02:24 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16784556)
I think tonight is a coin flip and if it comes up Caps then game 7 will be another coin flip.

Caps need two flips to go their way, Pens need one.

I mean I can understand this feeling. I do think the Caps are gonna have to play really well but that's not to say that even if they do outplay the Pens again then they'll win for sure. Totally possible the Caps outshoot the Pens 45-15 and lose 2-1.

TMoore4075 05-08-2017 02:27 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
http://www.tennessean.com/story/spor...kes/312944001/

Our two worlds crossed this weekend.

"Those who attended the Predators hockey game and the Dave Matthews-Tim Reynolds acoustic performance at Ascend Amphitheater got to see two spectacular shows in one day – Preds forwards Johansen and James Neal were among the crowd at Ascend."

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 02:30 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784559)
I mean I can understand this feeling. I do think the Caps are gonna have to play really well but that's not to say that even if they do outplay the Pens again then they'll win for sure. Totally possible the Caps outshoot the Pens 45-15 and lose 2-1.

My summation:

I think Washington played better last game
I think we've played decent the majority of the series, yet as usual not scored as much as we should have
I do think Pittsburgh has hung on for some wins
Pittsburgh still is deadly on the forecheck and counter attack which easily could be enough
Right now we are the deeper team
We make too many mistakes
The curse

Seems to all even out for me now.

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 02:31 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16784556)
I think tonight is a coin flip and if it comes up Caps then game 7 will be another coin flip.

Caps need two flips to go their way, Pens need one.

lol what a take

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 02:32 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784565)
lol what a take

I like to keep it simple

barbogast 05-08-2017 02:39 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16784562)
My summation:

I think Washington played better last game
I think we've played decent the majority of the series, yet as usual not scored as much as we should have
I do think Pittsburgh has hung on for some wins
Pittsburgh still is deadly on the forecheck and counter attack which easily could be enough
Right now we are the deeper team
We make too many mistakes
The curse

Seems to all even out for me now.

I would say this is pretty spot on. Especially the counter attack part. The Pens have lived off of that. I would say the Caps have carried play more than the Pens have so far in this series. Yet as usual the mistakes they make are massive, always at the worst times, and they can't seem to score enough. I would agree that the Caps are deeper. Not sure if that'll help. I hope so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784565)
lol what a take

I mean, I get it though. That's what this feel like for us. There are more than a few examples of the Caps playing dominant hockey in the playoffs and ultimately losing. A lot of times it feels like a coin flip. I know that you've gotta earn your bounces and all of that, but yeah I mean, when you outplay and outshoot and outchance and outwork teams as often as we do and then ultimately come up short, it pretty much feels like a coin flip.

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 02:47 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
And we had an own goal last game. It really was a 4-1 performance.

I say a coin flip just as a way of saying I think our boys can get it done. I think they have it in them but could never say it feels comfortable.

Caps lines.

Check out @ikhurshudyan's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/sta...05794080587776

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 02:48 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16784587)
And we had an own goal last game. It really was a 4-1 performance.

I say a coin flip just as a way of saying I think our boys can get it done. I think they have it in them but could never say it feels comfortable.

Caps lines.

Check out @ikhurshudyan's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/sta...05794080587776


The own goal was in game 4 not game 5

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 02:51 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784591)
The own goal was in game 4 not game 5

Wow they blend together, my bad.

I thought Eller got the the goal a few times and is having a good series.

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 02:53 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Kuzy has had by far the best series of any capital, and scored the GW goal in game 5, but Ovie gets all the credit for scoring the insurance goal after him. I dont get it.

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 02:54 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Also would be nice if the refs actually call guys for puck carrying if it happens again this series. 2 game winning caps goals directly correlated to those so far.

barbogast 05-08-2017 02:56 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Ugh it's gonna be gross. We're in fucking Pittsburgh tonight too. It's gonna be Bonino. I just know it. God dammit.

barbogast 05-08-2017 02:57 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784598)
Kuzy has had by far the best series of any capital, and scored the GW goal in game 5, but Ovie gets all the credit for scoring the insurance goal after him. I dont get it.

Literally no one has given all of the credit to Ovie

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784601)
Also would be nice if the refs actually call guys for puck carrying if it happens again this series. 2 game winning caps goals directly correlated to those so far.

Refs refs refs blah blah blah

We could both come up with great examples of our teams getting fucked

Big deal

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 02:58 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784598)
Kuzy has had by far the best series of any capital, and scored the GW goal in game 5, but Ovie gets all the credit for scoring the insurance goal after him. I dont get it.

Kuznetsov has played the best in his career for sure and is leading the team I think.

If this is in reference to my saying Ovie did better last game he did play better and don't underestimate the insurance goal. Other than that your putting words in someone's mouth cause no one said this.

hailtopitt 05-08-2017 02:59 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784601)
Also would be nice if the refs actually call guys for puck carrying if it happens again this series. 2 game winning caps goals directly correlated to those so far.



They did call Malkin for it lol, so there's that.

Both Caps offenses were egregious too.

barbogast 05-08-2017 02:59 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16784608)
Kuznetsov has played the best in his career for sure and is leading the team I think.

Backstom's been noticeably large and leadership-y in this series too. But yeah Kuznetsov's game is as good as it's ever been right now.

barbogast 05-08-2017 02:59 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16784609)
They did call Malkin for it lol, so there's that.

Both Caps offenses were egregious too.

Blah blah blah blah blah

Refs fuck everyone.

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 03:03 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784607)
Literally no one has given all of the credit to Ovie



Refs refs refs blah blah blah

We could both come up with great examples of our teams getting fucked

Big deal

Post game and all day yesterday on twitter and from TSN guys all I heard was Ovie talk, very little was said about Kuzy.



And agreed on the refs, theyve been equally terrible. But especially the game 3 puck carry in the neutral zone that led to the penalty was very blatant. Game 5 Eller clearly grabbed it and turned around and stepped forward with it too.

Im not trying to blame the games on those because youve gotta respond regardless, but missing stuff like that is much worse than a missed slash etc. IMO.

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 03:04 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16784608)
Kuznetsov has played the best in his career for sure and is leading the team I think.

If this is in reference to my saying Ovie did better last game he did play better and don't underestimate the insurance goal. Other than that your putting words in someone's mouth cause no one said this.

Sorry no wasnt talking about you. You mentioned it just triggered my memory from what I saw yesterday and saturday night.

barbogast 05-08-2017 03:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784615)
Post game and all day yesterday on twitter and from TSN guys all I heard was Ovie talk, very little was said about Kuzy.



And agreed on the refs, theyve been equally terrible. But especially the game 3 puck carry in the neutral zone that led to the penalty was very blatant. Game 5 Eller clearly grabbed it and turned around and stepped forward with it too.

Im not trying to blame the games on those because youve gotta respond regardless, but missing stuff like that is much worse than a missed slash etc. IMO.

I won't lie to you. I haven't watched closely enough (as you know) to really come back with specific examples. But honestly, whatever. It's refs. They've always done a really awesome job only to be hung out to dry forever by a one or two missed calls that we all get to scrutinize after watching extra slow replays dozens of times.

Saying the Caps were handed 2 out of 2 GWGs they've earned in this series sounds a little bit like ref blaming.

As for the Kuzy thing, I don't listen to national media much and I don't have twitter but all the local DC stuff I follow have been going on and on and on about Kuznetsov since Saturday.

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 03:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784617)
I won't lie to you. I haven't watched closely enough (as you know) to really come back with specific examples. But honestly, whatever. It's refs. They've always done a really awesome job only to be hung out to dry forever by a one or two missed calls that we all get to scrutinize after watching extra slow replays dozens of times.

Saying the Caps were handed 2 out of 2 GWGs they've earned in this series sounds a little bit like ref blaming.

As for the Kuzy thing, I don't listen to national media much and I don't have twitter but all the local DC stuff I follow have been going on and on and on about Kuznetsov since Saturday.

Im not saying they were handed to them, just saying both goals were correlated in the breakout to missed carry calls. Game 5 didnt matter as much with Ovie's insurance goal, but the one in OT in game 3, I think it was Williams clearly took at least 2.5 steps with the puck in his hand and thew it forward to himself while skating past a defender. At the very least they shouldve just played on 5v5 because of Daley's penalty after it.

swordo84 05-08-2017 03:12 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784605)
Ugh it's gonna be gross. We're in fucking Pittsburgh tonight too. It's gonna be Bonino. I just know it. God dammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVI3q-ZlX4

TMoore4075 05-08-2017 03:14 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjmGugcxOQw

This is an interesting map video of all the different teams that have been in the NHL.

barbogast 05-08-2017 03:15 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784621)
Im not saying they were handed to them, just saying both goals were correlated in the breakout to missed carry calls. Game 5 didnt matter as much with Ovie's insurance goal, but the one in OT in game 3, I think it was Williams clearly took at least 2.5 steps with the puck in his hand and thew it forward to himself while skating past a defender. At the very least they shouldve just played on 5v5 because of Daley's penalty after it.

You know what? You're probably exactly right. And I'm sure there are plenty of examples that have benefitted your team as well.

And don't worry, if all else fails, we'll just kick it in our own net for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16784623)

:lol thanks for that. Fucking Bonino with his cool last name and his propensity for scoring huge goals.

barbogast 05-08-2017 03:16 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784626)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjmGugcxOQw

This is an interesting map video of all the different teams that have been in the NHL.

Balls deep in playoff hockey talk and Tim comes through with a geography lesson

TMoore4075 05-08-2017 03:23 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784630)
Balls deep in playoff hockey talk and Tim comes through with a geography lesson

What do I have to look forward to right now?

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 03:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784628)
You know what? You're probably exactly right. And I'm sure there are plenty of examples that have benefitted your team as well.

And don't worry, if all else fails, we'll just kick it in our own net for you.



:lol thanks for that. Fucking Bonino with his cool last name and his propensity for scoring huge goals.

Not saying there isnt. Just happened to be that the same call was missed twice that happened to lead to GWG's. I would just like them to make those calls going forward because they missed two blatant ones that helped lead to pucks in the net. It was more a general comment than "god damn refs out to get the pens" the way many people say.




Speaking of that, have you all seen the comments with people saying the NHL is fixed? :lol Much of it coming from Rangers fans... like if that was actually happening im preeeetty sure they would wanna fix it TOWARD the biggest TV market and not toward Ottawa :lol

barbogast 05-08-2017 03:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784637)
What do I have to look forward to right now?

Oh buddy I hear ya. My team's about to be the Caps again. I watched the geography lesson. That was awesome. Love how the logos changed.

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 03:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784637)
What do I have to look forward to right now?

Yeah that video actually was cool. Thanks for posting.

TMoore4075 05-08-2017 03:28 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784640)
Oh buddy I hear ya. I watched the geography lesson. That was awesome. Love how the logos changed.

I liked the changing logos but also saw some of the more recent ones change and think...did they change? Add a color or something?

I know some of the older teams but never knew Pit had a team called the Pirates before the Original 6.

barbogast 05-08-2017 03:28 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16784639)
Not saying there isnt. Just happened to be that the same call was missed twice that happened to lead to GWG's. I would just like them to make those calls going forward because they missed two blatant ones that helped lead to pucks in the net. It was more a general comment than "god damn refs out to get the pens" the way many people say.




Speaking of that, have you all seen the comments with people saying the NHL is fixed? :lol Much of it coming from Rangers fans... like if that was actually happening im preeeetty sure they would wanna fix it TOWARD the biggest TV market and not toward Ottawa :lol

:thumbsup got it. Hopefully I didn't seem pissy

I have not seen that, but that's ridiculous. Fans can be so dumb.

barbogast 05-08-2017 03:30 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784643)
I liked the changing logos but also saw some of the more recent ones change and think...did they change? Add a color or something?

I know some of the older teams but never knew Pit had a team called the Pirates before the Original 6.

I did notice the ones that didn't look like they changed much. I noticed it with Pittsburgh at least once and Carolina and Edmonton I think too. I was so pumped when the Sreaming Eagle pop up.

I didn't know about a lot of those older teams.

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 03:32 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Follow @theesquireof212 for the ultimate rangers hot takes. Dude is awful and RT's alot of crazy fans. He is also super anti-penguin bias which is hilarious.

Every call against the caps or CBJ so far has been "Refs bailing out the Pens again!" type stuff. Good entertainment.

unccrombie 05-08-2017 03:33 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784637)
What do I have to look forward to right now?

the toasting of the sandwich to complete the caps melt?

barbogast 05-08-2017 03:36 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16784653)
the toasting of the sandwich to complete the caps melt?

:lol :lol caps melt with extra Bonino

TMoore4075 05-08-2017 03:38 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784648)
I did notice the ones that didn't look like they changed much. I noticed it with Pittsburgh at least once and Carolina and Edmonton I think too. I was so pumped when the Sreaming Eagle pop up.

I didn't know about a lot of those older teams.

Carolina and Minnesota were the two I noticed. I was like....uh they look the same. Also I laughed at the first Coyotes logo. If that doesn't scream 90's, nothing does. Oh and the fisherman. That one made me laugh.

barbogast 05-08-2017 03:39 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784659)
Carolina and Minnesota were the two I noticed. I was like....uh they look the same. Also I laughed at the first Coyotes logo. If that doesn't scream 90's, nothing does. Oh and the fisherman. That one made me laugh.

The Coyotes goalie dude was awesome. That was the best time for logos. Everyone looked ridiculous.

TheLastPig 05-08-2017 03:39 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16784659)
Carolina and Minnesota were the two I noticed. I was like....uh they look the same. Also I laughed at the first Coyotes logo. If that doesn't scream 90's, nothing does. Oh and the fisherman. That one made me laugh.

Love both of those logos. Theyre so out of left field. The early Coyotes jerseys were amazing. The epitome of 1990s.

unccrombie 05-08-2017 03:42 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784657)
:lol :lol caps melt with extra Bonino

sounds like it wouldn't be gluten free

kev87lads 05-08-2017 03:45 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
#boninosauce

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 04:17 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16784653)
the toasting of the sandwich to complete the caps melt?

Curious how much people think it would really be a melt.

Pittsburgh:
Defending champs
111 points, second most, 7 behind Washington
#1 goal scorer and #2 point getter
Most regular season goals, and points
Have led the whole series

If you want to call the Caps loss a melt go ahead. It won't make it any more disappointing but would seem to insult Pittsburgh tbh.

mr.MikeD 05-08-2017 04:20 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
I watched a third of the 7-1 Oilers game after work and didn't see a single goal.
Pointless stat - Connor scores in 3 games in this series, Oilers lose those 3. Connor doesn't score in 3, Oilers win those.
Only conclusion is to scratch him for game 7 I guess.

unccrombie 05-08-2017 04:21 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16784694)
Curious how much people think it would really be a melt.

Pittsburgh:
Defending champs
111 points, second most, 7 behind Washington
#1 goal scorer and #2 point getter
Most regular season goals, and points
Have led the whole series

If you want to call the Caps loss a melt go ahead. It won't make it any more disappointing but would seem to insult Pittsburgh tbh.

buzzkill burt to the rescue

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 04:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16784700)
buzzkill burt to the rescue

Just reminding everyone (myself) that this is a pretty good team Pittsburgh has

barbogast 05-08-2017 05:13 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16784694)
Curious how much people think it would really be a melt.

Pittsburgh:
Defending champs
111 points, second most, 7 behind Washington
#1 goal scorer and #2 point getter
Most regular season goals, and points
Have led the whole series

If you want to call the Caps loss a melt go ahead. It won't make it any more disappointing but would seem to insult Pittsburgh tbh.

Caps need to get it done. Until they do, it's a melt.

The Caps are the best team in the league this year, including Pittsburgh. If they can't beat them, they have once again failed to meet their potential, and that, at this point in the Ovie area, is another melt.

lockman21 05-08-2017 05:53 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16784694)
Curious how much people think it would really be a melt.

Pittsburgh:
Defending champs
111 points, second most, 7 behind Washington
#1 goal scorer and #2 point getter
Most regular season goals, and points
Have led the whole series

If you want to call the Caps loss a melt go ahead. It won't make it any more disappointing but would seem to insult Pittsburgh tbh.

It's also a Pitt team without their #1 defenseman, their starting goaltender, and the best player in the world out for a game (which the Caps lost).

Also a Pitt team that had a main acquisition of Ron fuckin' Hainsey at the trade deadline, while the Caps got the biggest name on the market in Kevin Shartenkirk.

Sure Pitt is a great team, but this was supposed to be THE year for the Caps. They have a number of people coming off the books next year and there's just no way to retain the roster. Hence the Sharty trade. And that great team in Pitt is also severely hobbled. Combine the two? People will say it's a collapse. Especially given all that combined with the Caps history.

lockman21 05-08-2017 05:53 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16784700)
buzzkill burt to the rescue

dont worry i gotchu fam

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 06:02 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784749)
Caps need to get it done. Until they do, it's a melt.

The Caps are the best team in the league this year, including Pittsburgh. If they can't beat them, they have once again failed to meet their potential, and that, at this point in the Ovie area, is another melt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16784798)
It's also a Pitt team without their #1 defenseman, their starting goaltender, and the best player in the world out for a game (which the Caps lost).

Also a Pitt team that had a main acquisition of Ron fuckin' Hainsey at the trade deadline, while the Caps got the biggest name on the market in Kevin Shartenkirk.

Sure Pitt is a great team, but this was supposed to be THE year for the Caps. They have a number of people coming off the books next year and there's just no way to retain the roster. Hence the Sharty trade. And that great team in Pitt is also severely hobbled. Combine the two? People will say it's a collapse. Especially given all that combined with the Caps history.

Asked and answered I guess.

barbogast 05-08-2017 06:22 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16784815)
Asked and answered I guess.

I don't know why you'd expect anyone to feel or think anything different

Climb2safety 05-08-2017 06:58 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16784831)
I don't know why you'd expect anyone to feel or think anything different

Because I do. If they lose fuck yeah I'm going to be disappointed. I also know they've lost to the Stanley Cup champs 4 times is it? Not that I am at all counting us out.

When I saw the bracket I knew this was a huge mountain.

This president me trophy stuff is fun (for Caps haters) but anyone with a clue knows it's not at all a good indicator of winning the cup. Only 7 times since 1985 has the best record won the cup.

So, unless they were up 3-0 or 3-1 I wouldn't use the term choke or melt. That's just me.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.