Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 08-28-2013 11:30 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14801066)
Wait, what?!?! Where did you see/hear this? Not saying it's a bad choice but.......Hall? Eberle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14801121)
Eberle was my pick, but apparently it's Gagner:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...monton-oilers/

Dont' want this to get lost at the bottom of the last page for Swordo.

swordo84 08-28-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14801130)
Dont' want this to get lost at the bottom of the last page for Swordo.

Thanks Chris. I'm really quite ok with the pick, I think Gagner is a fine choice. However, like many others he certainly wasn't at the forefront of my radar. Ebs would have been #1 for me as well.

Alazais 08-28-2013 12:00 PM

Why don't they give it to Smyth for his final year? They are a young team, they don't have to go with a young captain. Making Smyth your captain would be a classy move for a guy that has bled Oilers colours for years. It could rejuvenate his game and show everyone that loyalty is rewarded.

I think that is their best foot forward. If at the start of next year they still this gagner shuold be captain then cool, do it then.

swordo84 08-28-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 14801204)
Why don't they give it to Smyth for his final year? They are a young team, they don't have to go with a young captain. Making Smyth your captain would be a classy move for a guy that has bled Oilers colours for years. It could rejuvenate his game and show everyone that loyalty is rewarded.

I think that is their best foot forward. If at the start of next year they still this gagner shuold be captain then cool, do it then.

Because they just have to anoint someone again next year, I don't see much of a point really. I like the continuity of a long-term captain. Give Smitty an "A", as well as Hall and Eberle.

Edmonton (Katz) has no problems rewarding loyalty. I'm looking at you Lowe and McTavish...

lockman21 08-29-2013 08:15 AM

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/96...s-spot-us-team

It would be an absolute shame if they left Miller off this team.

Quick - Miller - Anderson

That's how it should be.

lockman21 08-30-2013 06:30 AM

So....Matty....speaking about Ryan Miller....how would you feel about him being the Avs goaltender?

Because apparently that trade is in the works as we speak.

fonzz41 08-30-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14803507)
So....Matty....speaking about Ryan Miller....how would you feel about him being the Avs goaltender?

Because apparently that trade is in the works as we speak.

Ugggggghhhhhh, I've heard these rumblings as well.

Avs: HOW CAN YOU KEEP COMPLETELY MISSING THE MARK?!?!?!?!

You have a great goaltending tandem right now in Varlamov and Giguere: A young, very talented goalie who has the potential to grow with the rest of the team, paired with a Stanley Cup-winning veteran goalie who has taken it upon himself to mentor every young player on the roster and be one of the few leaders on the team. So who gets the axe? If it's Varly, you're stuck with two aging keepers and you'll be back at square one in a few seasons. If it's Giguere, you lose one of the few positive influences left in the Avs locker room.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Ryan Miller... but not on the Avs. Get him to a contender so he can make a run for the Cup.

Sherman/Sakic are set at goaltending and forward. All their focus should be set on DEFENSE right now. Have they looked at their effing depth chart lately?!?! Adam Foote needs to go into the GM's office and start breaking shit or something to wake these guys up.

Sorry. /rant

JRS1386 08-30-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14802211)
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/96...s-spot-us-team

It would be an absolute shame if they left Miller off this team.

Quick - Miller - Anderson

That's how it should be.

Stopped reading at By Scott Burnside

fonzz41 08-30-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 14801204)

I'm cool with this too, although I get what swordo is saying. But I think it's a nice way to send Smyth off.

I'm the same with TBL right now. It's obvious that Stamkos is a future captain, but I say go ahead and give it to St. Louis until he retires, then transition over to Stamkos. It's not like it will be some big organizational change... all you're really doing at that point is changing the letters on the jerseys.

Other captain predictions, FWIW:
BUF: Stafford
CAL: Glencross
CBJ: Umberger... or Johnson. Torn on this one
DAL: Benn
NYI: Tavares (easy)
OTT: Phillips... maybe Spezza

lockman21 08-30-2013 08:00 AM

I hope the Islanders give it to Clutterbuck.

lockman21 08-30-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14803551)
Ugggggghhhhhh, I've heard these rumblings as well.

Avs: HOW CAN YOU KEEP COMPLETELY MISSING THE MARK?!?!?!?!

You have a great goaltending tandem right now in Varlamov and Giguere: A young, very talented goalie who has the potential to grow with the rest of the team, paired with a Stanley Cup-winning veteran goalie who has taken it upon himself to mentor every young player on the roster and be one of the few leaders on the team. So who gets the axe? If it's Varly, you're stuck with two aging keepers and you'll be back at square one in a few seasons. If it's Giguere, you lose one of the few positive influences left in the Avs locker room.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Ryan Miller... but not on the Avs. Get him to a contender so he can make a run for the Cup.

Sherman/Sakic are set at goaltending and forward. All their focus should be set on DEFENSE right now. Have they looked at their effing depth chart lately?!?! Adam Foote needs to go into the GM's office and start breaking shit or something to wake these guys up.

Sorry. /rant

They're talking Stastny for Miller, right? I mean...you know you're losing Stastny after this season. He's not a 3C. Rumors were Patty Kane for Miller before, and Stastny isn't exactly Kane...so you have to be happy with that return.

What if they traded Varlamov then for a top 4 defenseman? So Statsny and Varly for Miller and a top-4 defenseman. You'd have to feel better about their playoff chances at that point, right?

Miller can steal games left and right, especially if you add someone solid on the backend...Lord knows you have enough talent in the top 6 to score goals...

Just a thought.

swordo84 08-30-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14803594)

Karlsson will get the 'C' in Ottawa, and they'll forget all about that Alfredsson character.

lockman21 08-30-2013 08:23 AM

BTW, Matty, I have my Keith Yandle sweater.

It's a black Coyotes practice jersey with Yandle on the back. Incredible for drop-in hockey.

fonzz41 08-30-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14803598)
They're talking Stastny for Miller, right? I mean...you know you're losing Stastny after this season. He's not a 3C. Rumors were Patty Kane for Miller before, and Stastny isn't exactly Kane...so you have to be happy with that return.

What if they traded Varlamov then for a top 4 defenseman? So Statsny and Varly for Miller and a top-4 defenseman. You'd have to feel better about their playoff chances at that point, right?

Miller can steal games left and right, especially if you add someone solid on the backend...Lord knows you have enough talent in the top 6 to score goals...

Just a thought.

I would consider this, depending on the defenseman, of course. I just hate that all I'm seeing right now is them exploring these trade options that do nothing to address their biggest needs.

But yes, if we were to get someone like Seabrook (;)), Phaneuf, Hainsey, etc. (trying to be realistic here), I would be ok with it. But again, they need to do something to address defensive needs. They shouldn't just trade for Miller just to trade for him. There needs to be an end game.

I'm a well-documented Ryan Miller fan 'round these parts, and PART of the reason I don't want him on the Avs is because I WANT him to get a Cup before he retires. But the other part of me knows what he can do singlehandedly for a team, so yeah I can see the benefit to having him. He's 33 now, so if Jiggy retires after this year, they bring up Aittokkalio to back up Miller and hope he is ready for the big show in the next couple years.

EDIT: Nice work on the Yandle sweater. You continue to make me proud after your discovery of hockey's most noble position.

fonzz41 08-30-2013 08:43 AM

Hey Timmy (wherever you are), my best friend just got a vintage Yzerman sweater, Stanley Cup patch and all. I can't wait to accidentally spill grape juice all over it.

lockman21 08-30-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14803640)
I would consider this, depending on the defenseman, of course. I just hate that all I'm seeing right now is them exploring these trade options that do nothing to address their biggest needs.

But yes, if we were to get someone like Seabrook (;)), Phaneuf, Hainsey, etc. (trying to be realistic here), I would be ok with it. But again, they need to do something to address defensive needs. They shouldn't just trade for Miller just to trade for him. There needs to be an end game.

I'm a well-documented Ryan Miller fan 'round these parts, and PART of the reason I don't want him on the Avs is because I WANT him to get a Cup before he retires. But the other part of me knows what he can do singlehandedly for a team, so yeah I can see the benefit to having him. He's 33 now, so if Jiggy retires after this year, they bring up Aittokkalio to back up Miller and hope he is ready for the big show in the next couple years.

EDIT: Nice work on the Yandle sweater. You continue to make me proud after your discovery of hockey's most noble position.

I know you love Miller, which makes it all the more interesting that he might be headed to the Avs.

If the Avs somehow landed Miller and Yandle, I would become a huge bandwagon Colorado fan.

fonzz41 08-30-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14803653)
I know you love Miller, which makes it all the more interesting that he might be headed to the Avs.

If the Avs somehow landed Miller and Yandle, I would become a huge bandwagon Colorado fan.

If the Avs landed Yandle, I would walk to Colorado to kiss Greg Sherman right on the mouth.

lockman21 08-30-2013 09:27 AM

He's been dangled as trade bait for a couple years in a row now...wouldn't be surprised to see him moved at some point.

fonzz41 08-30-2013 09:51 AM

And I'd be willing to explore the option of a high draft pick to get him. Maybe like a first and a young crappy D prospect like Stefan Elliott.

Roose13 08-30-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14803594)
I'm cool with this too, although I get what swordo is saying. But I think it's a nice way to send Smyth off.

I'm the same with TBL right now. It's obvious that Stamkos is a future captain, but I say go ahead and give it to St. Louis until he retires, then transition over to Stamkos. It's not like it will be some big organizational change... all you're really doing at that point is changing the letters on the jerseys.

Buffalo: Vanek or Stafford
Calgary: Giordano or Glencross
Columbus: Johnson
Dallas: Benn
NY Islanders: Tavares
Ottawa: Karlsson

lockman21 08-30-2013 11:25 AM

I can't see Vanek getting the C. He asks for a trade like every other month.

I think Karlsson does get it in Ottawa though.

Alazais 08-30-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14803788)
Buffalo: Vanek or Stafford
Calgary: Giordano or Glencross
Columbus: Johnson
Dallas: Benn
NY Islanders: Tavares
Ottawa: Karlsson

I agree with everything other than Vanek. I think of the two they'll give it to Stafford.

lockman21 08-30-2013 11:57 AM

Matty I would share this with you on FB, but I deleted my profile, so it's here instead:

http://highactionhockey.wordpress.co...oing-it-wrong/

:lol:lol:lol

Quote:

Congratulations, you went bar down on some fat ass goalie that just finished polishing off a 30-rack and a meat-lovers pizza before the game. Someone call the scouts, I think you might be the next Gretzky. Said nobody.

bonzo48280 08-30-2013 12:38 PM

Teemu's decision on if he is going to retire or not: http://youtu.be/sRkcl_RHwoc

Roose13 08-30-2013 01:34 PM

That video is fantastic, and I know those golf struggles :lol

fonzz41 08-30-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14803793)
I can't see Vanek getting the C. He asks for a trade like every other month.

I think Karlsson does get it in Ottawa though.

Totally agree on Vanek. Karlsson not so sure. I mean, with guys like Landeskog or Toews, you can totally see the leadership potential even at a young age. I just don't see that in Karlsson. I could be wrong, but I think it goes to one of the vets.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14803838)
Matty I would share this with you on FB, but I deleted my profile, so it's here instead:

http://highactionhockey.wordpress.co...oing-it-wrong/

:lol:lol:lol

That is so effing glorious.... Sending to all my men's league buddies now. I don't even have one of the points to single out... They were all spot on. I loved the pics too.

Sad to see you gone from the FB, my friend.

dmbetc 08-30-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 14803875)
Teemu's decision on if he is going to retire or not: http://youtu.be/sRkcl_RHwoc

I just saw this, it's brilliant! :lol

~Crashintome89~ 08-30-2013 06:59 PM

After seeing that video, I hope Selanne never retires.

waterboy100 08-31-2013 09:01 AM

Has the fantasy league been started yet?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

bonzo48280 09-02-2013 08:33 AM

6-year $36 million extension for Crawford starting next season

goddamn it. Dumb.