Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

pathetic 05-09-2019 09:03 AM

Re: The NHL Thread: The year of Stanley Cupsets!

why can't the whalers wear whaler unis?

pathetic 05-09-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17442574)
They can win a cup with Rask. Just at times he can be frustrating and let in some back breaking goals.

I also think a lot of it has to do with his contract but I mean who else is going to be the goalie of this team....Chara has been painful in these playoffs though.

tuukka has saved Chara's ass in 2 straight series so far

pathetic 05-09-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17442646)
How to feel about Marchand still absolutely baffles my mind.

I can't fucking stand him as a player to the point where I want him out of the league. Like, I loath the dude.

But a good friend of mine whose brother-in-law used to play for the Bs talks about how much of a good person Marchand is off the ice, and how great his family was toward him when he and his wife were going through some tough times.

looks like he's doing his job

barbogast 05-09-2019 09:23 AM

The Marchand conversation is circular and pointless. As someone who readily admits Tom Wilson is far too reckless sometimes and absolutely needs to be mindful of that with every hit he makes, you would think a Bruins fan could acknowledge that when Marchand tries to injure people that isn’t him “doing his job”.

Roose13 05-09-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 17442769)
looks like he's doing his job

This is pro sports, not the WWE :rolleyes

DMBstandUP1984 05-09-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 17442765)

Yeah he has been the Bruins best player this post season

coldengrey12 05-09-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 17442486)
Damn man, I always forget you’re an Avs fan, due to you not being around much. Sorry for the loss though! :hug

Thanks! I'm nowhere near Matty's level of fandom, so it's understandable you'd forget!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17442629)
Sorry Matty!

That was a tough call to overturn. I saw the explanation that the NHL gave after the game. And it made sense. However, I don't believe there's a conclusive angle down to the inch that shows whether the skate is clearly and conclusively on or over the line. So my problem is with the overturn, not the review. Call on the ice should have stood.

Sharks still may very well have won the game, but that was clearly a turning point.

That overturn is gonna remain controversial with the Avs fans, I'm sure, but they had so many good chances in the third where they didn't convert. They dominated the Sharks in the third and still couldn't find the net.

Eh. What're you gonna do?

Go Sharks now for me. I'd like to see Jumbo get his name on the Cup.

pathetic 05-09-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17442788)
This is pro sports, not the WWE :rolleyes

he's the conor mcgregor of the NHL

Roose13 05-09-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 17442962)
he's the conor mcgregor of the NHL

McGregor's sport is basically the WWE but it might be a little more real. Still a bad comparison.

Marchand is a douche and a good player on the ice, and I don't like him as a player. But off the ice, I've heard great things about him. Don't ignore my whole original post.

pathetic 05-09-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17442994)
McGregor's sport is basically the WWE but it might be a little more real. Still a bad comparison.

Marchand is a douche and a good player on the ice, and I don't like him as a player. But off the ice, I've heard great things about him. Don't ignore my whole original post.

a little more? You know wrestling is fake right?

drakan 05-09-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17442512)
This is fairly accurate. I can’t get behind a team that employs a player like Marchand at all. In fact it makes me actively hope they fail.

Tom Wilson? He stays on the ice more than Tom Wilson.

drakan 05-09-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 17442563)
:lol :lol

Tampa was favored. I think I could see the Canes massaging a win or two.

drakan 05-09-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

I can't fucking stand him as a player to the point where I want him out of the league. Like, I loath the dude.

But a good friend of mine whose brother-in-law used to play for the Bs talks about how much of a good person Marchand is off the ice, and how great his family was toward him when he and his wife were going through some tough times.

Is your good friend Ferris Bueller?

drakan 05-09-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 17443002)

I remember when people would argue about whether wrestling was real. It was a deal.

pathetic 05-09-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17443047)

B's in 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17443050)
I remember when people would argue about whether wrestling was real. It was a deal.

some still think it is i guess

drakan 05-09-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 17443054)
B's in 5

some still think it is i guess

It's only real if the Hulk has you in a headlock.

EDIT: I think the bunch of jerks are for real.

pathetic 05-09-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17443061)
It's only real if the Hulk has you in a headlock.

EDIT: I think the bunch of jerks are for real.

they're a fun team to watch, but i think they're probably the least talented team the bruins have matched up against in the playoffs. Do we even know who is going to be in goal for gm1?

rickyh24 05-09-2019 02:04 PM

The NHL Thread: The year of Stanley Cupsets!

Quote:

Bruins seem to be favored everywhere but monkeyballs.con.

drakan 05-09-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 17443088)
Bruins seem to be favored everywhere but monkeyballs.con.

You realize it's basically even? 5% points here or there is not a big deal. So many people are betting on the Bruins because there are a lot of Bruin bettors or it's the only team left they know?

Bruins are favored tonight 58/42.

Lcsulla 05-09-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 17442482)
Even if you make the case he tagged up (I'm not sure he did), he still would've been a sixth man on the ice.

Agreed, initially I thought when they were reviewing it they might tag CO with a delay of game in addition to waving off the goal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17442492)
This angle doesn’t clearly show Gabe offsides. It’s a weird call to make. It looks to me like Gabe is on the line.

This is the type of shit that make people gripe with the stupid offsides review thing. That’s a good goal, period. You can nit pick at the toe on the line thing if you want but you can’t change my mind that that goal should have counted.

One thing worth mentioning: Landeskog’s comments afterwards were those of a true captain. In what is surely an incredibly frustrating situation, he handled it with class and poise. Really impressed with him.

I hate the offsides rule in hockey to be honest, I know why it exists and I have been there done that but it still drives me crazy. Wish it was like soccer where you have to have at least one defender between you and the goalie (in the oppositions end) to receive a pass and take your shot. Course then we'd have reviews to see if McDavid's skate was a quarter of an inch closer to the goal then Karlsson's so who the hell knows.

Agreed on Landy, so classy - both him and Bednar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17442503)
What’s your beef with the Bs? I like the Blackhawks and I feel like they played a pretty classy Stanley cup against each other

They always beat the tar out of my Whalers growing up. Basically it isn't a real hatred, it is just that from the time I was old enough to enjoy hockey the Bruins always beat my team so I just cannot get myself to root for them unless the oddball situation happens and their winning somehow benefits a team I like in the standings!

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17442518)
I don’t really care about that part

:lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17442522)
i agree with this, some of the stuff he does makes you throw your hands up and I'm surprised it hasn't hurt the team more.

Quote:

I have heard he is a very kind and generous person of the ice.

As for his play, my buddy is a Bruins fan and he compares cheering for Marchard to when carl Everette was on his Red Sox, he couldn't stand the guy but loved the production.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 17442763)
why can't the whalers wear whaler unis?

Because they'd be immediately scared away by either a Bruins or Flyers jersey! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 17442765)

Chaara looks flat out old this postseason, guys are going around him easier than a knife through butter. Sad to see him slow down so much because in his prime he was one of the greats.

Quote:

This postseason, I honestly would not bet on squat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 17443077)
probably the least talented team the bruins have matched up against in the playoffs.

Easily IMO.

dmbetc 05-09-2019 02:47 PM

Canes in 6.

barbogast 05-09-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17443041)
Tom Wilson? He stays on the ice more than Tom Wilson.

I guess you missed my post where I mentioned Tom Wilson.

No clue what ice time has to do with anything.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

drakan 05-09-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17443164)
I guess you missed my post where I mentioned Tom Wilson.

No clue what ice time has to do with anything.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tom Wilson gets suspended often.

DMBstandUP1984 05-09-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17443104)
Agreed, initially I thought when they were reviewing it they might tag CO with a delay of game in addition to waving off the goal.

I hate the offsides rule in hockey to be honest, I know why it exists and I have been there done that but it still drives me crazy. Wish it was like soccer where you have to have at least one defender between you and the goalie (in the oppositions end) to receive a pass and take your shot. Course then we'd have reviews to see if McDavid's skate was a quarter of an inch closer to the goal then Karlsson's so who the hell knows.

Agreed on Landy, so classy - both him and Bednar.

They always beat the tar out of my Whalers growing up. Basically it isn't a real hatred, it is just that from the time I was old enough to enjoy hockey the Bruins always beat my team so I just cannot get myself to root for them unless the oddball situation happens and their winning somehow benefits a team I like in the standings!

:lol

I have heard he is a very kind and generous person of the ice.

As for his play, my buddy is a Bruins fan and he compares cheering for Marchard to when carl Everette was on his Red Sox, he couldn't stand the guy but loved the production.

Because they'd be immediately scared away by either a Bruins or Flyers jersey! :)

Chaara looks flat out old this postseason, guys are going around him easier than a knife through butter. Sad to see him slow down so much because in his prime he was one of the greats.

This postseason, I honestly would not bet on squat.

Easily IMO.

Doesn’t Carl Everett not believe in dinosaurs?

And good point I forgot you were from CT. I love the old school Whalers merch I have a few t shirts

Roose13 05-09-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 17443002)

I'm taking a shot at UFC. Keep up.

barbogast 05-09-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakan (Post 17443173)
Tom Wilson gets suspended often.

Indeed. And yet, it still feels like a lazy comparison. Wilson doesn’t get suspended for clips and slewfoots and elbows to the head.

Brohan_Santana 05-09-2019 05:07 PM

To reiterate what’s multiple Caps players said, huge missed opportunity not keeping the foot on the gas

Brohan_Santana 05-09-2019 05:11 PM

Wilson has done his time and has learned his lesson. Can we move on from him?

Brohan_Santana 05-09-2019 05:11 PM

By the time Hurricanes reach Boston they’re usually Tropical Depressions. Anyone use that yet?

Lcsulla 05-09-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17443179)
Doesn’t Carl Everett not believe in dinosaurs?

And good point I forgot you were from CT. I love the old school Whalers merch I have a few t shirts

No clue on whether everette believes in dinosaurs or not, simply do not care one bit. I am still ticked he broke up Mussina's perfect game with 2 down in the 9th in 2001 - of all the guys to do it. I know Sox fans who were annoyed simply because they were at the game and wanted to be there to see history made.

Yeah, it is true on CT - so tough to let go to childhood memories; and grudges! I went to so many Whalers games growing up, my mom or uncle (my dad knows beans about sports and just does not care) would take me up to the civic center any chance they had to see the Whalers which was awesome, I even got to see Gretzky torch them but I was not too mad because it was amazing seeing Gretzky play live. I still have a bunch of Whalers jerseys I picked up over the years, old school ones or the 'new' navy blue ones. IT cracks me up how popular that team still is when they have no existed in 2 decades - go into Bradley Airport and every shop sells Whalers stuff - when I was out at Red Rocks for DMB I was wearing a Whalers hoodie and on the way out of the first night someone saw it and started a "Lets go Whalers" chant - in CO after a minute half the people there were screaming it - cracked me up.

Also, regarding Boston, I am in SW CT, I am only about 45 minutes from NYC (10 minutes from the NY state line) so my loyalties extend more to NY than Boston - which is at least 2 and a half hours from me.

I am not a big fan of the Canes because they used to be the Whalers but I would prefer they beat Boston due to childhood grudges. Heck man, I do hold grudges like crazy in sports, even if my brother was not a Sharks fan I would still be cheering for them simply because STL is a Hawks rival and even more I want to see that jerk barbashev cry since he punched Brent Seabrook in the face while the ref had Seabrook's hands held behind him - complete sucker punch - so yeah, best case scenario for me is a Canes sweep and a Sharks sweep - resulting in possibly the least viewed SCF ever! :lol