Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 06-18-2017 09:53 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (Penns are garage league champs)

I said it to my buddies about a week or so ago, but I'll say it here too. I think Hossa has played his last game as a Hawk.

Think he gets traded to Arizona and then the Coyotes buy him out.

~Crashintome89~ 06-18-2017 10:13 PM

makes sense, I can't see the Hawks trading away Seabrook or Hjamarsson

salrx95 06-19-2017 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16818337)
#1975 #garageleague

Yes. 1975, the Islanders 3rd year in the league when they shocked the Rangers in preliminary best of 3 and then beat the penguins in the quarterfinals after going down 3-0 in the series. Epic comeback.

Draft class must really be week this year for Islanders to trade a pick to protect players.

TMoore4075 06-19-2017 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16817928)
Lol wtf is Detroit doing

Apparently he's been a huge douche for the last year. Not only hasn't he played well, but he was sulking that the Wings didn't trade Howie and they were trying to trade Mrazek the last few weeks. While I disagree with not protecting him, it could be used as a wake-up call. If he played well this past year, he's protected. He lost his job. Now does Vegas take him? A $4mil backup for MAF? No. Do they take him and then trade him? Maybe, but if DET couldn't trade him, how would Vegas be able to? Rumors are Vegas takes Helm and flips him. I would LOVE for that to happen.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16818346)
I said it to my buddies about a week or so ago, but I'll say it here too. I think Hossa has played his last game as a Hawk.

Wouldn't that cap recapture penalty come into play here?

lockman21 06-19-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16818421)
Wouldn't that cap recapture penalty come into play here?

Nope. You can trade away a player and if another team buys out that player, there is no recapture. The Coyotes would obviously still be on the hook for his buyout cap hit, but they're broke as a joke and would only need to spend $333,333 in actual money for $4.6m in cap hit, and they need to get to the cap floor.

lockman21 06-19-2017 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16818421)
Apparently he's been a huge douche for the last year. Not only hasn't he played well, but he was sulking that the Wings didn't trade Howie and they were trying to trade Mrazek the last few weeks. While I disagree with not protecting him, it could be used as a wake-up call. If he played well this past year, he's protected. He lost his job. Now does Vegas take him? A $4mil backup for MAF? No. Do they take him and then trade him? Maybe, but if DET couldn't trade him, how would Vegas be able to? Rumors are Vegas takes Helm and flips him. I would LOVE for that to happen.

You never know the circumstances though. It might not have been that the Wings COULDN'T trade Mrazek, but that no team could reach their asking price. Let's say that's a 3rd rounder. Maybe someone out there is offering a 4th and Vegas is ok with that.

TMoore4075 06-19-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16818503)
You never know the circumstances though. It might not have been that the Wings COULDN'T trade Mrazek, but that no team could reach their asking price. Let's say that's a 3rd rounder. Maybe someone out there is offering a 4th and Vegas is ok with that.

Oh I agree but still a $4mil price tag on a guy who hasn't played well the last 1.5 years and wasn't even playing in the world championships. We'll see. If the attitude stuff is true that's not exactly what a rebuilding team needs. Again, if he was playing well maybe they look the other way, or maybe he doesn't have the attitude. Makes sense why Coreau was starting over him when Howie was hurt last year.

jrkarger 06-19-2017 09:41 AM

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p...s/201706170104

cry_minarets458 06-19-2017 11:00 AM

^great story.

I hope fleury's cup day is his first day of practice in Vegas

Lcsulla 06-19-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16818346)

Interesting thought, I am not sure though - not even sure CO would take that hit or buyout. I also like him on the third line with some younger guys since our 1 and 2 lines are set largely in stone, barring injuries. Hossa is also one of the better two way FWD's in the league and is always a plus on special teams. Additionally we are likely to lose Kruger to vegas (why he was not protected instead of Jurco is baffling) so our offense will be more dependent on younger guys with little experience so Hossa would help there. Yeah, I know his contract is a drain and we need a backup goalie but with the cap going up marginally maybe we can move a different guy (or guys) and hang onto him - I mean it is not like the Hawks window is closed and Hossa would be a benefit in a deep run. I see the logic of moving him since we have no room under the cap unless Kruger goes but if we want to win again he would be a nice part of that.

lockman21 06-19-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16818768)
Interesting thought, I am not sure though - not even sure CO would take that hit or buyout. I also like him on the third line with some younger guys since our 1 and 2 lines are set largely in stone, barring injuries. Hossa is also one of the better two way FWD's in the league and is always a plus on special teams. Additionally we are likely to lose Kruger to vegas (why he was not protected instead of Jurco is baffling) so our offense will be more dependent on younger guys with little experience so Hossa would help there. Yeah, I know his contract is a drain and we need a backup goalie but with the cap going up marginally maybe we can move a different guy (or guys) and hang onto him - I mean it is not like the Hawks window is closed and Hossa would be a benefit in a deep run. I see the logic of moving him since we have no room under the cap unless Kruger goes but if we want to win again he would be a nice part of that.

...who?

Look, I'm not saying Hossa doesn't have value, of course he does...but now might be the time to move him. The Hawks have to move someone besides just Kruger - so that leaves this list:

Toews
Kane
Panarin
Hossa
Anisimov
Panik
Seabrook
Keith
Hjalmarsson

Panik himself doesn't get it done, so if you pick him, you need to pick someone else too. Sooooo...who else?

Hossa's contract is a problem. And this year it makes sense to move him. It sucks, but it's just the case. It's the first year of the last 4 years of his deal, which means he's now making $1m in actual salary for a $5.275m cap hit. A team like Arizona needs to take on cap hit to get to the cap floor. They're reportedly looking for contracts "like Datsyuk's deal" that gets them there. They're fucking broke.

You trade them Hossa and they can buy him out. That way they add $333,333 of actual financial cost while gaining $4,608,333 in cap hit. At the same time, the Hawks no longer have to worry about cap recapture, shed a 38-year-old with 4 years left at a $5.275m cap hit and got themselves out of that cap hell they've been in.

From another angle, it makes sense for Hossa too. He can double up on salary if he wants to keep playing by signing for the more appropriate $3m range while still collecting his buyout from Arizona. He's already collected $59.3m of his $63.3m contract with the Hawks, he's actually not being paid well now as the Hawks frontloaded that deal. He also won't have to worry about the burden of retiring early and strapping the Hawks with his recapture, and is free to resign for short term deals and/or retire whenever he wants. The Hawks already gave him nearly $60m and 3 Cups, I think he'll want to hang them up soon.

They need to make some sort of deal that doesn't make them better next year in order to get out of this cap hell, and Hossa makes the most sense. Arizona makes sense to take him. It's unfortunate, but it's better than losing Hjalmarsson or something.

Lcsulla 06-19-2017 01:10 PM

I agree he is the most likely candidate - assuming he'd waive his NMC for CO. I really do not wish to dump Panik, he looked really solid last season and is just hitting his prime, like the edge to his play as well. Back to Hossa though, moving him doesn't solve much in reality because his contract is covered under the salary cap recapture clause which applies to trades as well as retirement so Chicago would in all likelihood be paying him either 1 mil per year to stick around or pay about the same in league fines due to that clause. Seems to me it is better to pay the guy to play than pay the league in fines but who knows - perhaps they can work something out that helps all involved. Right now I am just not sure how the Hawks can deal with this cap without taking a hit offensively or defensively.

lockman21 06-19-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16818869)
I agree he is the most likely candidate - assuming he'd waive his NMC for CO. I really do not wish to dump Panik, he looked really solid last season and is just hitting his prime, like the edge to his play as well. Back to Hossa though, moving him doesn't solve much in reality because his contract is covered under the salary cap recapture clause which applies to trades as well as retirement so Chicago would in all likelihood be paying him either 1 mil per year to stick around or pay about the same in league fines due to that clause. Seems to me it is better to pay the guy to play than pay the league in fines but who knows - perhaps they can work something out that helps all involved. Right now I am just not sure how the Hawks can deal with this cap without taking a hit offensively or defensively.

...are you serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ciz5rFpBIk

salrx95 06-19-2017 06:01 PM

Sounds official that Islanders sending 1st rd pick to Vegas for them to take a specified. Initially, reports were it was Kulemin but now it seems it could be hickey or halak,too.

Supposedly, a third piece is involved and some reports have it as maybe Grabovski.

This move then opens up cap to then trade some sort of package for Duchene and sign Tavares.

Could be a big for NYI.

salrx95 06-19-2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16819038)
Sounds official that Islanders sending 1st rd pick to Vegas for them to take a specified. Initially, reports were it was Kulemin but now it seems it could be hickey or halak,too.

Supposedly, a third piece is involved and some reports have it as maybe Grabovski.

This move then opens up cap to then trade some sort of package for Duchene and sign Tavares.

Could be a big for NYI.

Last line big "week".

jrkarger 06-20-2017 06:36 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/fi...as-trade-bait/

Maybe I'm misunderstanding MAF's NMC, but there has been damn near talk radio hysteria about MAF being traded to the Flyers by Vegas. He has a NMC. Meaning he'd have to sign off on a trade to another team. He's waived his NMC for Vegas and Vegas only.

:BANG

aeroshady 06-20-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16819298)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding MAF's NMC, but there has been damn near talk radio hysteria about MAF being traded to the Flyers by Vegas. He has a NMC. Meaning he'd have to sign off on a trade to another team. He's waived his NMC for Vegas and Vegas only.

Oh man! MAF on the Flyers would be amazing!

It would upset the Pens fans and give the Flyers another goalie that probably wouldn't pan out long term! Please let this happen!

~Crashintome89~ 06-20-2017 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16819298)

I think the NMC only applies once. I'm probably wrong though.

jrkarger 06-20-2017 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16819310)

So it's like a get out of jail free card? Used once and it's gone? :lol

I ask because I'm curious.

I was under the impression that one he waived his NMC for Vegas and Vegas only; meaning if Vegas doesn't take him he's still a penguin and two that the existing terms of his contract including the NMC goes with him to Vegas.

Which if my understanding is correct that would make all of this MAF to Flyers talk talk radio fanboy BS.

Like I said, I could be totally wrong.

TMoore4075 06-20-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16819310)

Pretty sure it kicks back in. Dion in OTT is my evidence. He didn't sign that with the Sens, it was his contract with TML, and he said no I'm not going to Vegas.

~Crashintome89~ 06-20-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16819309)

It would upset the Pens fans and give the Flyers another goalie that probably wouldn't pan out long term! Please let this happen!

Fleury wouldn't be a long-term solution though. He'd be a stop gap from what they have now to when Carter Hart or Felix Sandstrom make the team. That's why I want him on the Flyers. They don't need to go big contract/long-term on a goalie at the moment.

And for a guy whose team literally gave Bobby Holik millions of dollars, you shouldn't be talking about long-term contracts.

cry_minarets458 06-20-2017 09:22 AM

I really hope something happens and MAF stays in Pitt. He's still a valuable asset for the team, but he did build a playground in Pittsburgh as a legacy-type of thing, so i think he knows he's planning to ship out

YouNeverKnow25 06-20-2017 09:29 AM

sadly I think the team could use the cap space more than the player at this point---all due respect fully intended, as they don't win the cup without him this year, and maybe not in 2009 either

barbogast 06-20-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16818954)

Let's be real, attention to detail has never been Lcsulla's thing.

Like how he kept typing CO even though he's talking about Arizona.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16819309)

:lol :lol :lol

Yes please!

aeroshady 06-20-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16819337)
Fleury wouldn't be a long-term solution though. He'd be a stop gap from what they have now to when Carter Hart or Felix Sandstrom make the team. That's why I want him on the Flyers. They don't need to go big contract/long-term on a goalie at the moment.

And for a guy whose team literally gave Bobby Holik millions of dollars, you shouldn't be talking about long-term contracts.

Hey! Bobby Holik was worth every penny for the simple fact that he is the only active member of the NY Rangers I ever got to meet at a game! Plus, he had a unibrow!

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1303186773

dmbwadeo 06-20-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16819324)
So it's like a get out of jail free card? Used once and it's gone? :lol

I ask because I'm curious.

I was under the impression that one he waived his NMC for Vegas and Vegas only; meaning if Vegas doesn't take him he's still a penguin and two that the existing terms of his contract including the NMC goes with him to Vegas.

Which if my understanding is correct that would make all of this MAF to Flyers talk talk radio fanboy BS.

Like I said, I could be totally wrong.

Fleury has a limited NTC. He provides a list of 18 teams he can be traded to. If Philly is on that list he can be traded without permission. Obviously Vegas wasn't on the list so he agreed to go there (potentially)

jrkarger 06-20-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbwadeo (Post 16819727)
Fleury has a limited NTC. He provides a list of 18 teams he can be traded to. If Philly is on that list he can be traded without permission. Obviously Vegas wasn't on the list so he agreed to go there (potentially)

Unless everything I've heard and read is wrong he has a NMC. There is a difference.

TMoore4075 06-20-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbwadeo (Post 16819727)

Going to Vegas has nothing to do with the NTC, it's his NMC. Going to Vegas isn't a trade it's like being put on waivers or sent to the minors. Kronwall has a NTC and he's exposed by the Wings.

jrkarger 06-20-2017 12:23 PM

Apparently has a NMC and a NTC.

https://www.nhl.com/news/penguins-ma...ns/c-289928498

lockman21 06-20-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16819642)
Let's be real, attention to detail has never been Lcsulla's thing.

Like how he kept typing CO even though he's talking about Arizona.

I was just going to let that slide :lol