Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

SirBobalew 04-28-2016 08:28 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16391752)
Was that a corporate name? I genuinely don't know why it was called that. Confused me when I was really young because it housed both the Caps and Bullets

Don't think it was. And when the teams moved to the MCI Center, it went back to the Capital Centre until they knocked it down.

barbogast 04-28-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16391764)
Looks like that's what they did. I'm going to call it the Hot N Ready. :lol

My question is: will it have live boards?

Definiteky will join you in calling it the Hot N Ready. That's too perfect

barbogast 04-28-2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16391766)
Don't think it was. And when the teams moved to the MCI Center, it went back to the Capital Centre until they knocked it down.

I did not know that. I remember watching the video of that building being imploded. What a sad day that was.

TMoore4075 04-28-2016 08:30 AM

Greg Wyshynski made a comment that it would be wrapped in bacon. I liked it. lol

hailtopitt 04-28-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16391729)
There are still a few. The Palace of Auburn Hills, Arrowhead Stadium, Lambeau Field, Soldier Field...

That's all I can think of. Hell, even the Superdome is the Mercedes-Benz Superdome now.

Yankee Stadium
Wrigley Field (technically it's a sponsor but meh, not really)
Fenway Park
Oakland County Coliseum
Dodger Stadium

barbogast 04-28-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16391757)
U.S. Government Arena.

:lol :lol I like this one

TMoore4075 04-28-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16391766)

Ahh the MCI Center. I have a couple great memories of that place......

SirBobalew 04-28-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16391771)
I did not know that. I remember watching the video of that building being imploded. What a sad day that was.

My guess is it was more "Nation's Capital" than named after the hockey team since, as you said, the Bullets played there too. Also since I just looked it up and it opened in 1973 for the Bullets and the Caps didn't play their first season until 1974. But I honestly don't know the history.

Lcsulla 04-28-2016 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16391721)
There are a few exceptions to the rule, and most seem to be in baseball. Yankee Stadium. Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Nationals Park (although the Nats have announced they'll sell the naming rights soon). Fenway Park. And I don't believe the Wrigley corporation pays for Wrigley field. Lambeau Field. The Metrodome (RIP). Madison Square Garden. Nassau Coliseum (RIP). Angel Stadium. Kauffman Stadium. Dodger Stadium.

You can add Oakland Coliseum, Turner Field (soon to be RIP) and Marlins Park to that list.

jrkarger 04-28-2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16391763)
I don't understand the business side of it at all. I was wondering that. Ford Field is the same way. I mean the Fords own the damn team..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16391764)
Looks like that's what they did. I'm going to call it the Hot N Ready. :lol

My question is: will it have live boards?

Little Caesar's Arena

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...rena/83640322/

I forgot about Ford Field.

As far as the business side, I would assume Ford Motors and Little Caesars legal entities have set marketing budgets from which they pay the Lions and now the wings (think legal money laundering). If they didn't spend that money on naming rights it would get spent elsewhere.

Without knowing details though, you would think the Fords and Illitchs (sp?) would want more outside money coming in.

hailtopitt 04-28-2016 08:36 AM

the boards are going to be made of stuffed crust, bacon wrapped pizza

will be very live

TMoore4075 04-28-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16391784)
Little Caesar's Arena

Without knowing details though, you would think the Fords and Illitchs (sp?) would want more outside money coming in.

That was my thinking but I whatever. They clearly know more than me. He hasn't done very good with his money.... He bought the Wings for $8mil...lol

Lcsulla 04-28-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16391729)
There are still a few. The Palace of Auburn Hills, Arrowhead Stadium, Lambeau Field, Soldier Field...

That's all I can think of. Hell, even the Superdome is the Mercedes-Benz Superdome now.

When I posted that I was only including NHL arenas.

It really is pathetic though. You'd think with so many teams being sponsored (so to speak) by major corporation that ticket prices would not be through the roof and you could take a family of 4 to one game and have some refreshments for less that the price of a 7 day vacation. :lol

hailtopitt 04-28-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16391793)

It really is pathetic though. You'd think with so many teams being sponsored (so to speak) by major corporation that ticket prices would not be through the roof and you could take a family of 4 to one game and have some refreshments for less that the price of a 7 day vacation. :lol

prices are high because people are showing up and willing to pay

$$$$$$$$$$$

SirBobalew 04-28-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16391768)
Definiteky will join you in calling it the Hot N Ready. That's too perfect

I'm in for this too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16391757)
U.S. Government Arena.

OK, if we can't have Under Armour, I'll root for this one.

Another local possibility: GEICO.

TMoore4075 04-28-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

That's a fair point. My 5 year old has said about going to a Wings game and I'm like....sorry ain't happening. He won't make it through a game and it ain't worth $75+ for just him for a half a game. Baseball is the only somewhat affordable ticket but that's cause they play 1000 games a year and need to get butts in the seats. But then you still pay $10 for a hot dog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16391796)
prices are high because people are showing up and willing to pay

$$$$$$$$$$$

But this is where it ends up.

lockman21 04-28-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

Lcsulla 04-28-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16391790)
the boards are going to be made of stuffed crust, bacon wrapped pizza

will be very live

Not that hockey is all that prominent in the demographic but I think that might turn off any players or fans who practice Islam you racist! :lol

SirBobalew 04-28-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16391780)
You can add Oakland Coliseum, Turner Field (soon to be RIP) and Marlins Park to that list.

Yup. Forgot about those. I always forget the Coliseum isn't the o.co coliseum anymore.

TMoore4075 04-28-2016 08:43 AM

https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/725710542049034241

At least the center ice logo will be subtle.

SirBobalew 04-28-2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

Ahhhhhhhh, gotcha. Then yeah, once the Isles left Nassau, I don't think there were any other than the Joe and MSG, were there? So now we're just left with MSG.

SirBobalew 04-28-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16391814)
https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/725710542049034241

At least the center ice logo will be subtle.

Good choice to keep the Hockeytown logo. I'm really happy about that.

Lcsulla 04-28-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16391799)
That's a fair point. My 5 year old has said about going to a Wings game and I'm like....sorry ain't happening. He won't make it through a game and it ain't worth $75+ for just him for a half a game. Baseball is the only somewhat affordable ticket but that's cause they play 1000 games a year and need to get butts in the seats. But then you still pay $10 for a hot dog.

Yeah, it is just not worth it at most places anymore. Hell if I bought 4 decent seats for a Yankees game and got myself a few beers and some snacks it would cost me more than a week long cruise to the Caribbean islands! Something wrong there. Also, I do not think any sports venue needs a damn steakhouse or an Applebees? What the hell is wrong with hot dogs, popcorn or a pretzel? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16391800)
I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

I think they are certainly intertwined. If they'd lower the ticket price than more people would fill the seats and buy booze, food, programs, yearbooks, etc, etc. The net effect would likely help if they dropped the ticket prices a bit plus they'd get an added bonus - the team would not look hopeless on TV when there are empty seats all over! Some of these game look like a rain delay there are so many empty seats!

TMoore4075 04-28-2016 08:52 AM

With all the bull with the name, I'm looking forward to this place. I love The Joe but it's a shit hole. Seating is cramped, walking up those outside stairs in the winter is deadly, concourse is narrow, not enough bathrooms, not enough exits and not enough concessions and all of that. The Joe is a great place to see a game but it's time for a new chapter.

Roose13 04-28-2016 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16391840)
With all the bull with the name, I'm looking forward to this place. I love The Joe but it's a shit hole. Seating is cramped, walking up those outside stairs in the winter is deadly, concourse is narrow, not enough bathrooms, not enough exits and not enough concessions and all of that. The Joe is a great place to see a game but it's time for a new chapter.

Reminds me when I went to old Yankee in 06. It was really cool to see that place and feel the history and the charm and all that shit, but let's face it, those old places are dumps compared to now.

salrx95 04-28-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16391836)
Yeah, it is just not worth it at most places anymore. Hell if I bought 4 decent seats for a Yankees game and got myself a few beers and some snacks it would cost me more than a week long cruise to the Caribbean islands! Something wrong there. Also, I do not think any sports venue needs a damn steakhouse or an Applebees? What the hell is wrong with hot dogs, popcorn or a pretzel? :)

s!

I often feel shitty for not bringing my boys to Yankee Stadium yet, especially before Jeter retired but when I consider decent seats plus parking and food, you are talking like , what, at least $500. It's crazy.

Once a year, we go to the Bridgeport Bluefish game and get front row seats behind home plate, bring our own snacks (though still get stuff there) and spend less than $100.

hailtopitt 04-28-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16391836)
I think they are certainly intertwined. If they'd lower the ticket price than more people would fill the seats and buy booze, food, programs, yearbooks, etc, etc. The net effect would likely help if they dropped the ticket prices a bit plus they'd get an added bonus - the team would not look hopeless on TV when there are empty seats all over! Some of these game look like a rain delay there are so many empty seats!

nah, believe me, these teams know what they're doing when they set their price points

everything is meticulously researched and tested to find the sweet spot when it comes to prices. if they thought they could get more revenue by lowering ticket prices, they would.

especially in baseball, there will always be small crowds when:

1. school is still in session. once the young ones are out for summer, stadiums start filling up

2. there is cold/rainy weather...we usually see this in april/may or even in the winter for hockey games. (a big storm even cancelled some games this year) we've had small crowds at pens games when a big snow storm would hit

3. the team is really bad from the get-go (this goes for all sports)

jrkarger 04-28-2016 09:31 AM

Winning puts more people in seats than lower ticket prices.

hailtopitt 04-28-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16391903)

absolutely

unccrombie 04-28-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16391903)

ever seen a sold out Houston astro's stadium?
:lol