Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 08:54 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Rangers are already Cup contenders, they are defending conference champs

it's going to be hard at the deadline to make a splash deal since there are a lot of teams who feel like they're "one move away..."

these last 30 games are going to be really fun and exciting. the metro division is unbelievably tight

unccrombie 02-05-2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15804904)

it's going to be hard at the deadline to make a splash deal since there are a lot of teams who feel like they're "one move away..."

these last 30 games are going to be really fun and exciting. the metro division is unbelievably tight

that and we have no money to spend.
need to pay zuc this year

aeroshady 02-05-2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

I believe they are already Cup Final contenders for sure. I am not sure about Cup winning though. Last year's finals really were eye opening for me. The west has both talent and size. East has talent but are very behind in the physical aspect.

Boston is the closest team with size. NY's best chance is that they are a very fast paced team. The west may struggle with NY's speed of play a bit. In the playoffs though, physical play is a major advantage if you can dominate it. That is why I would be most concerned with playing the Bruins in the east and I am concerned with playing most of the teams in the west.

~Crashintome89~ 02-05-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

I hope a lot of teams think they are one move away, it gives me hope that the Flyers can unload Grossmann and Coburn.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15804912)
that and we have no money to spend.
need to pay zuc this year

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15804914)
I believe they are already Cup Final contenders for sure. I am not sure about Cup winning though. Last year's finals really were eye opening for me. The west has both talent and size. East has talent but are very behind in the physical aspect.

Boston is the closest team with size. NY's best chance is that they are a very fast paced team. The west may struggle with NY's speed of play a bit. In the playoffs though, physical play is a major advantage if you can dominate it. That is why I would be most concerned with playing the Bruins in the east and I am concerned with playing most of the teams in the west.

yea but the East v. West thing gets thrown out in the Cup Finals. sure, the Rangers got out-physicaled last year, but honestly, they lost because the Kings were a much better team top to bottom, including in net (sorry Hank lovers)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15804921)
I hope a lot of teams think they are one move away, it gives me hope that the Flyers can unload Grossmann and Coburn.

yea especially Grossmann, he's kind of useless back there

and the blue line used to be a strength of the Flyers not too long ago

fonzz41 02-05-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15804466)
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Wow. Putting Sarah on blast like that. And from you, Matty. Wow.

:lol My intent was two-fold:
1) To stick up for Sarah (as if she really needed/wanted it)
2) Keep the "you can only cheer for one team" joke alive... we are joking about it............................right?.............. ................ RIGHT?
Anyways, glad it caused a couple giggles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15804440)
Also, my comment was not meant to be as harsh as it reads (now that I back read it lol).

I didn't think it was harsh at all and brought up some good points about the meaning of a "fan" and making distinctions.

I'm not a "fanatic" of a team like the Predators. But I like them enough that as long as they're not playing the Avs, I'll probably root for them to win. I guess that doesn't make me a "fan" in the truest sense of the word, but I still like them. I think that's to your point.

And to the point that I get a ginormous tent pole for Shea Weber.

socopithy 02-05-2015 09:09 AM

33-17-1 tonight. Let's get it done. #phuckphilly

Do it Isles!

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15804933)
yea but the East v. West thing gets thrown out in the Cup Finals. sure, the Rangers got out-physicaled last year, but honestly, they lost because the Kings were a much better team top to bottom, including in net (sorry Hank lovers)

yea especially Grossmann, he's kind of useless back there

and the blue line used to be a strength of the Flyers not too long ago

The bold is not even remotely true....

As far as the rest of it goes, I don't believe the Kings were all that much better than NY. To me it was pretty much watching two teams with that were very close in the amount of talent but one team had a size advantage in every aspect. Also, the series was closer than it looks on paper. Games 1, 2 & 5 could have easily gone to NY (Game 1 should have if not for a shitty call).

Roose13 02-05-2015 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15804440)
If I didn't burn my Kings jersey after last year I think you are good to not burn your Rangers jerseys ;)

Also, my comment was not meant to be as harsh as it reads (now that I back read it lol).

Yea it was pretty fucking harsh :lol:lol Loosen the death grip!

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15804954)
The bold is not even remotely true....

As far as the rest of it goes, I don't believe the Kings were all that much better than NY. To me it was pretty much watching two teams with that were very close in the amount of talent but one team had a size advantage in every aspect. Also, the series was closer than it looks on paper. Games 1, 2 & 5 could have easily gone to NY (Game 1 should have if not for a shitty call).

disagree but it's just opinion

i take Quick over Hank 10 times out of 10

and that's not taking anything away from Hank, he's really good

Roose13 02-05-2015 09:20 AM

Also, that pretty much sums up my feelings in baseball. I'm a Phillies fan. I'm diehard. I love this team despite being a steaming pile of hot garbage right now. But I just like the O's. Liked them since I was a little kid and my family would go to Baltimore in the summer. Loved Cal.

socopithy 02-05-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15804968)
Also, that pretty much sums up my feelings in baseball. I'm a Phillies fan. I'm diehard. I love this team despite being a steaming pile of hot garbage right now. But I just like the O's.

Garbage? They're too young to be garbage.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:23 AM

no, they're garbage

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15804968)
Also, that pretty much sums up my feelings in baseball. I'm a Phillies fan. I'm diehard. I love this team despite being a steaming pile of hot garbage right now. But I just like the O's. Liked them since I was a little kid and my family would go to Baltimore in the summer. Loved Cal.

Was a Mets fan as a kid, but I never really liked baseball. In the late 90's I went to Boston and fell in love with that team and city (hence me moving there for a while for school). The Red Sox made me passionate about the sport. I used to say I was a "fan" of the Mets and Red Sox and tried to justify this by saying one was NL and one was AL. One day my friend put it to me and asked who I would want to win a World Series between the two. It made it clear for me that I was a Red Sox fan. Despite liking the Mets first, I love the Red Sox and it would not even be close for me. I still like the Mets and would gladly root for them against anyone else. I am a Red Sox "fan" tough.

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15804966)

I am guessing that there is some divisional bias/rivalry here because you are a Pen's fan.

It just like how I would take Nash over Crosby and St. Louis over Malkin 10 out of 10 times.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15805006)
I am guessing that there is some divisional bias/rivalry here because you are a Pen's fan.

It just like how I would take Nash over Crosby and St. Louis over Malkin 10 out of 10 times.

no, it's not like that at all

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15805020)
no, it's not like that at all

Not sure we watched the same series last year then. :rolleyes

lockman21 02-05-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15804966)

That's just dumb.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15805024)
Not sure we watched the same series last year then. :rolleyes

has to do with more than just last year

the talent level of the goalies we're talking about are basically identical. i would take Quick because i've seen him win 2 Cups and make huge saves at huge times in the playoffs.

saying its the same as taking St. Louis over Crosby or Malkin is LOL funny and dumb

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15805039)
That's just dumb.

why is opinion dumb?

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15805041)
has to do with more than just last year

the talent level of the goalies we're talking about are basically identical. i would take Quick because i've seen him win 2 Cups and make huge saves at huge times in the playoffs.

saying its the same as taking St. Louis over Crosby or Malkin is LOL funny and dumb

Both are dumb, that was my point.

Taking Quick because he has won two cups if unfair to Hank. The Kings have been a better team for longer than NY. They have the talent and the size. The Rangers not winning the Cup has never been because of Hank. He was the only reason they made the ECF in 2012. Can't really say the same about Quick who has been both great and had a complete team. Your argument would be like if I said I would take Hank because he has Olympic gold and Quick doesn't....

They are both amazing goalies. Saying either one is 10 out of 10 times better is false either way you go. It is really more of a season by season decision unless there is "fan" bias involved. Thus my previous conclusion about your statement.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:50 AM

they are not both dumb

Quick & Hank have comparable talent levels, my eye test would have me take Quick over Hank...that's just me

Rick Nash & Sidney Crosby do not have comparable talent levels. St. Louis & Malkin do not have comparable talent levels

see the difference? has nothing to do with me being a Penguins fan, not sure why u keep bringing that up

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 09:51 AM

i already gave Hank some love, he's great...but me, personally, would take Quick over Hank if i had to choose

aeroshady 02-05-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15805069)
i already gave Hank some love, he's great...but me, personally, would take Quick over Hank if i had to choose

I actually do think I would take St. Louis over Malkin....but that is just me and I have not looked up stats for any backing on the opinion.

Where I think we have issue with your comment is that you said you would take Quick over Hank 10 out of 10 times and then didn't provide any statistical analysis to back up your reasoning. So it does come down to who you just like more.

The stats back up Hank last year and anyone who has watched NY in the playoffs knows that Hank is a large reason (and some seasons has been the only reason) NY has even won games in the post season. So he obviously makes huge saves in the playoffs too.

I take no issue with you just having a personal liking of Quick over Hank. I do however contest any argument that Quick is 10 out of 10 times better based on performance.

lockman21 02-05-2015 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15805043)
why is opinion dumb?

The "it's an opinion" argument is always a weak one. It's like saying you'd take Clyde Drexler over Jordan and then asking why people think that opinion is stupid.

Jonathan Quick is great, no doubt...but outside his 2011-12 campaign, he's been pretty consistently hovering just short of greatness. Hank has always been one of the best in the league. Hank has been a Vezina finalist 5 times with 1 win (to Quick's 1 finalist), has 3 8+ shutout season with two in double digits (to Quick's 1), has 7 seasons with a SV% at or over.920 (to Quick's 1)...

See a pattern here? Quick has been great once.

Point being...besides Quick's 2011-12 season, he really hasn't been THAT good. He's built his reputation a lot more with his one absolutely incredible season. Hank has consistently been one of the best (if not the best) goaltenders every single year for 10 years.

lockman21 02-05-2015 10:07 AM

I mean, it can be your opinion, that's fine, just don't get upset when people call it out as being ridiculous.

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 10:09 AM

The NHL Thread

Drexler over Jordan lol c'mon

Quick and Hank have identical playoff stats, which is why it does come down to personal preference. Not sure why this is an issue

There is a clear talent discrepancy between St. Louis and Malkin, between Drexler and Jordan and every other awful example given so far

hailtopitt 02-05-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15805125)
I mean, it can be your opinion, that's fine, just don't get upset when people call it out as being ridiculous.

Still not sure how it's ridiculous

lockman21 02-05-2015 10:14 AM

Arguing with a crazy person, never a good idea.

~Crashintome89~ 02-05-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15805006)

You and the Rangers were made for one another.

Itiot.